Puppy 'portable' app threads - the COMPLETE list!

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Puppy 'portable' app threads - the COMPLETE list!

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

This is something I've been mulling-over for a while, and I've finally decided it would help everyone for me to provide a complete listing of links to all the 'portable' app threads I've started. Just to keep everything together in one easy-to-find location, like.

These are mostly all at my MEGA.nz a/c; this account is nothing BUT portables. Some more recent stuff has gone into MediaFire, because the MEGA a/c is filling up fast!

So; without further ado, here goes....

Browsers & Internet:-

Multimedia:-

Graphics:-

Office/Documents :-

Various/utilities :-

Games:-

FPS -

• 'Xonotic' (old school FPS)
  • 'RedEclipse' (ditto)

Both portables, found here:- viewtopic.php?t=3428

I think that's everything. No doubt I've forgotten stuff - I've already remembered half-a-dozen I've built, but haven't yet published; as & when I do, they'll get added to the list.

I'll attempt to keep this updated, anyways. Hope it helps y'all.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

don570

fspy

Post by don570 »

For people who use blender for modelling, there is fspy

http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 993#p47993

don570

avidemux-2.8.0 video editor

Post by don570 »

A video editor is available as an appimage
https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidem ... e/download

fredx181

Re: Complete listing of my Puppy 'portable' app threads...

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

This is something I've been mulling-over for a while, and I've finally decided it would help everyone for me to provide a complete listing of links to all the 'portable' app threads I've started.

Great work Mike ! :thumbup2:

tosim

Re: Complete listing of my Puppy 'portable' app threads...

Post by tosim »

@mikewalsh :- Please let me echo fred's words above.

geo_c

Re: Puppy 'portable' app threads - the complete list...

Post by geo_c »

@mikewalsh

Wondering if you have ever made Claws-mail into a portable. I recently migrated to it as my Sylpheed 3.7 portable made with NicOS-utilities just yesterday quit working on my yahoo based account. I finally realized Claws is in fact the same mail client but currently maintained, as Sylpheed has been dropped.

I could make a nicOS version, but yours are so much better!

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wizard

Post by wizard »

YAY mike :thumbup2:

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Hey @mikewalsh,

I just combed through all your portables and grabbed everything I could use and fired them up in KLV. Xnview and Openshot (portable or appimage) didn't seem to go in KLV but most did. Here's what I'm running in Fosspup and KLV:

geo_c

pp4mnklinux

Re: Puppy 'portable' app threads - PROTOPAGE LINKS

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

This afternoon I was dealing with some frugal puppies instalations, and with all of them I found the problem of the space ocupied by the save folder, because it goes down really fast.

I thought that I can solve it installing portable applications, and I remember @mikewalsh post.

I spent a lot of time searching for it.- There's no easy way for me, but in the end, I fond a post that redirect me to this one.

It's possible, some people find the same problem, so it could be useful fix this post or start a new category in software /puppy apps/ in order to facilitate people find them.

I u want, you can link to the page I created with this links, located at:

https://www.protopage.com/pp4mnkt3am#Pu ... _PORTABLES

(I don't link directly to the portable file, because this way the forum increase its SEO power, and because people can have more information)

Hope you think this was a good idea.-

Have a nice day u all.- CHEERS :thumbup2:

mikewalsh

Re: Puppy 'portable' app threads - the COMPLETE list!

Post by mikewalsh »

@pp4mnklinux :-

Nah, you're good. I've got NO problems with that..!

(Jeez. It's not until seeing them all laid out like that that I realise just how MANY of the things I've put together. I'm surprised!)

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Re: Mike's Portables at archive.org

Post by mikeslr »

MikeWalsh hosts most of his portables at mega.nz which does not allow access to web-browsers it deems 'insecure'. That presents a 'catch 22' to those having such web-browsers and desiring to upgrade to one of Mike's portables.
Fortunately, ally has archived some, maybe all @ https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... ables_repo. Thanks, ally. And thanks, Fossil for reporting that. :thumbup:

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this question, but no doubt someone will move it if I'm wrong.

If I install a portable, then at a later date change my mind about it and delete it, how do I remove the item from the menu? I've tried clicking on "fixmenus" but that's not doing anything. I suspect something may be left behind in a directory somewhere, but I've no idea what or where.

Thank you

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

stevie pup wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:36 pm

I wasn't sure if this was the right place to put this question, but no doubt someone will move it if I'm wrong.

If I install a portable, then at a later date change my mind about it and delete it, how do I remove the item from the menu? I've tried clicking on "fixmenus" but that's not doing anything. I suspect something may be left behind in a directory somewhere, but I've no idea what or where.

Thank you

Go in /usr/share/applications , find the .desktop launcher, delete it, then run fixmenus.
edit: or, if the portable contains a script "Menu-Remove" , run that.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

ditto what fredx181 wrote. However, if you just delete the /usr/share/applications/...desktop files, you'll still have a symlink (I think with Mike's portables always in /usr/bin) pointing to his LAUNCH Script but renamed for the application. So before you delete the desktop file open it in a text editor and see what argument follows Exec=. Then open pfind and use the argument in its search box to locate and delete the symlink.
There'll also be an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps identified in the desktop file.
Note the presence of these vestigial files take up little room and cause no harm. So you really don't have to do anything unless, like me, you don't like files hanging around for no reason. ;)

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@fredx181 @mikeslr

Thank you both for your replies, it's gone now. I just found it irritating to have something in the menu that's no longer on the computer.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

stevie pup wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:27 pm

@fredx181 @mikeslr

Thank you both for your replies, it's gone now. I just found it irritating to have something in the menu that's no longer on the computer.

Also, many or most of these portables by @mikewalsh have a Remove Menu Entry script in the portable directory. I suppose if you deleted the whole directory then you wouldn't have that anymore.

I don't use the create menu entries script for portables. I make my own scripts that open the LAUNCH script and just put those whereever is most convenient, like panels or directories, essentially a LAUNCH script launcher, which makes it easy to move my LAUNCH script launchers around from OS to OS.

Something like:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

/mnt/home/portableAPP/Thunderbird-portable64/LAUNCH &
sleep 5
wmctrl -r Inbox -e 0,75,3,1804,1050

This one sizes and place the window exactly where I want it on a particular machine. If I want to use different monitor resolutions I just tweak the wmctrl coordinates accordingly.

geo_c

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

stevie pup wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:36 pm

Thank you

@stevie pup :-

As geo_c says, the way to do it is to run the MenuRemove script before you delete the portable's directory. Otherwise, you have to manually delete the .desktop entry, the PNG icon file AND the sym-link into /usr/bin, then run

fixmenus

.....followed by

jwm -restart

The script does all that for you, much quicker than you could do it yourself. Worth remembering for future use, 'cos all my portables are set-up to function similarly. Just read the "MenuReadMe" file before using the MenuAdd/MenuRemove scripts.....everything IS explained.

Hope that helps!

Mike. ;)

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@geo_c @mikewalsh

Thank you both, as I said it's gone now but at least I know for future reference what to do (or not do). Yes, of course, I had deleted the whole directory without really thinking about it.

Oh well, we live and learn. :roll:

geo_c

PaleMoon making a comeback?

Post by geo_c »

Just wanted to say I've been frequently running Palemoon_gtk-portable64 and it's updated to v32.3.0, and it seems to me it's performing much better than it had been, especially on F96.

Perhaps it's not the lost cause I once thought.

geo_c

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Perhaps a prettier palemoon icon for you canine lovers. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 456#p94456.

Remind me to create one with a Tom Cat sitting on a wall howling at the Moon. :) Do cats howl at the Moon? :roll: I suppose some of us caterwaul. :lol:

Edit: Having the memory of a sieve, I figured I'd better do it before I forgot. :lol:

palemoon-4.png
palemoon-4.png (38.05 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

A note for those using mikewalsh's Brave browser portable: The value of the browser cache is set to 5000000 (which is 5MB in this case). Now, I'm not sure if this is intentional but if you want it to be 500MB for example, you need to change this value to 500000000. Change it to the setting you want by editing the value in the LAUNCH script.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

A-ha!

Yes, you're quite right, Nic. From this page:-

https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-c ... -switches/

.....Peter Beverloo's list of Chromium's many command-line "--switches", we get this entry:-

--disk-cache-size - Forces the maximum disk space to be used by the disk cache, in bytes

I'd obviously miscounted; I intended for this be approx 50MB, so one zero short.....

It was a modification of some stuff Fred helped me out with way back when I was trying to get the Iron-portable functional.....and I think it may have come from one of peebee's wrapper-scripts prior to that.

Good catch! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

OMG Mike, this is a helluva list. Well done. That's one heck of a useful portfolio. Do you ever sleep?
:thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@greengeek :-

greengeek wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:41 am

OMG Mike, this is a helluva list. Well done. That's one heck of a useful portfolio. Do you ever sleep?
:thumbup:

I have been known to.....on occasion! :D

Nah, it's daft really. Most of my best work always seems to get done during the last hour immediately prior to hitting the sack. I'm yawning hard enough to break my jaw, but my mental processes just seem to be "in the groove" at that time of night... :lol:

Mike. ;)

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Just fired up Gimp in MX Linux 23 xfce and it worked perfectly, including adding the .desktop file to the xfce menu.

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:23 am

@amethyst :-

A-ha!

Yes, you're quite right, Nic. From this page:-

https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-c ... -switches/

.....Peter Beverloo's list of Chromium's many command-line "--switches", we get this entry:-

--disk-cache-size - Forces the maximum disk space to be used by the disk cache, in bytes

I'd obviously miscounted; I intended for this be approx 50MB, so one zero short.....

It was a modification of some stuff Fred helped me out with way back when I was trying to get the Iron-portable functional.....and I think it may have come from one of peebee's wrapper-scripts prior to that.

Good catch! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Sadly, I think that was me. If you look at the chrome scripts in Debian Dog under /usr/local/bin in earlier versions...

Return to “Package Collections/Repositories”