First-person shooters - 'portable' Xonotic & 'portable' RedEclipse

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

First-person shooters - 'portable' Xonotic & 'portable' RedEclipse

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

I know I always say I'm not a gamer. Well; I'm not.....not really. I'll have perhaps the odd half-hour or so, here & there, if I'm in the mood. If I do, it's almost always an FPS or a driving game of some sort.

The two I'll mention here today are both semi-classics, although perhaps not that well-known. Xonotic & Red Eclipse have both been around for something like a decade now; both founded around 2010/2011, and both follow the same kind of format. You have to try them for yourself, though, to see if they're your cup of tea.

Both of these have Linux ports, and both run straight off in several Puppies. Red Eclipse, I found just a few days ago; it comes as an AppImage, discovered over at AppImageHub.com. This one is 64-bit only, but runs without issue in most 64-bitzers.

Xonotic has always been available for both 64- AND 32-bit, but does benefit from a discrete GPU; it's a bit too much for many older machines' built-in graphics. I first found this one about 3 years ago; the old Compaq used to really struggle with this, 'cos the onboard ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chip was pretty basic, even though it was considered 'cutting-edge' when released in the early 2000s.

It comes as standard as a zipped download. It's a 'portable' directory of sorts, containing both 32-bit & 64-bit, Windows, MacOS & Linux binaries.....and is pretty humungous in size, tipping the scales at a little over 1 GB in total. Even so, I understand this is quite svelte by the standards of many AAA-title games...!!

I've re-built both of these as AppImages (my fave format!), courtesy of Fred's new scripts (cheers, Fred!) I investigated stripping-out the irrelevant Windows & MacOS binaries'n'stuff, but it would have only saved around 35 MB off the size. It's those data directories that use all the space, hitting the 870 MB mark.....and those can't be removed.

-----------------------------------------------

I've built these the same way as some other stuff in recent days. A 'portable' directory, containing the AppImage and a 'LAUNCH' script. You can if you wish run the AppImage straight off as-is; if you do this, it creates a permanent config directory in /root.

If you run it via the 'LAUNCH' script, it creates this config directory within the portable itself, sym-linking it out to the expected location at run-time. When you shut down, the sym-link is deleted again. Because of the sym-linking, the config stuff is effectively written direct to the portable anyway.

IF anyone's interested, you can find 'em here:-

RedEclipse-portable64

Xonotic-portable32

Xonotic-portable64

Have fun!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Games”