Kodi-portable64 - Kodi 18.4 "Leia" in portable format...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Kodi-portable64 - Kodi 18.4 "Leia" in portable format...

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

I made this one up several months ago. I thought I'd posted about it, but obviously not. With queries about Kodi recently, I thought I'd best publish the link for it!

It's based around the AppImage for Kodi 18.4 "Leia", which jplt found around 18 months ago, while the old Forum was still active. I've built this up in my standard portable format, with self-contained config files'n'stuff that are sym-linked into the expected locations at run-time. Links are deleted again at close.

There's options for adding a Menu entry if one should be required, from wherever it's been situated. The "MenuReadMe" explains how to use these.

-------------------------------

18.4 is not the very newest release; I think we're up to 19.3 or something like that. It's a BIG app; the tarball is somewhere around 280MB! It does, however, contain absolutely everything it needs to run, and is quite happy in Xenialpup64, Bionicpup64 and Fossapup64.

Anyone interested can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/KboBVY7L#LGMJsb7zCTWf3q2ahvmv-Q

As always; d/l; unzip; place it anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

soniabu

Re: Kodi-portable64 - Kodi 18.4 "Leia" in portable format...

Post by soniabu »

TXS Mike :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@soniabu :-

You're very welcome, Sonia. Hope it does what you want.!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hello Mike,
I have used Kodi before but it was on one of the cheap Chinese Android boxes largely made for the purpose. I downloaded the .tar.gz, checked the md5 checksum which checked out OK. I then extracted the .tar.gz and placed the Kodi-portable64 directory in my "portables" folder and clicked on LAUNCH. The screen went black for a second and then the desktop reappeared. The Kodi-portable64 directory now contained a config directory, however, what I thought should be a Kodi64 directory looks like a file (please see attached image) though it's 280MB. Having tried this a number of times I now have a set of kodi-crashlogs. I've attached the most recent of these. Should have said I'm using it in Fossapup64 9.5. Do you have any ideas as to where the problem might be in terms of launching this?

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
Kodi-portable64-dir.png
Kodi-portable64-dir.png (16.85 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
kodi_crashlog-20220120_142106.log
(18.55 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@keniv :-

Hi, Ken.

Strange. It runs quite happily under Fossapup64 for me....good as gold. Hmm.....

I've never got much sense out of Kodi's crashlogs. They appear to be more of a debug report for the Kodi devs than anything, and as such, don't tell the user what he/she really needs to know. In this particular case, I get more sense out of the terminal, TBH.

Right-click on a blank space inside the Kodi-portable64 directory, then Window->Terminal here. Type in

Code: Select all

./LAUNCH

....followed by 'Enter'. Let us have a copy of the output in your next post, please? Thanks.

We'll try & get you up-and-running, of course, but I don't make any guarantees..! :D

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:03 pm

Right-click on a blank space inside the Kodi-portable64 directory, then Window->Terminal here. Type in

./LAUNCH

....followed by 'Enter'. Let us have a copy of the output in your next post, please? Thanks.

Here you are Mike

root# ./LAUNCH
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-x11: /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/.mount_Kodi64gieZbF/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcurl.so.4: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/kodi-x11)
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so has no function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/i965_drv_video.so has no function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns -1
/initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp/.mount_Kodi64gieZbF/usr/bin/kodi: line 219:  8208 Segmentation fault      ${KODI_BINARY} $SAVED_ARGS
Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20220120_183057.log
root# 

Doesn't mean much to me but I hope it helps.

Regards,

Ken.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Mm. We-e-ell, erm.....according to your readout, it looks like it's segfaulting. This is beyond mine or anybody else's control. If you're curious, you can read up about it HERE.

Essentially, a "segmentation fault" occurs when an application tries to write data to memory address locations that are "protected" by either the kernel or the system itself, for whatever reason.....locations it's not 'allowed' to access, in other words. This is down to bad coding, 99.99% of the time.....and there's nothing the user can do about it.

But I find it curious that it runs OK for me, yet for you it won't (for whatever reason). Or perhaps not; I have 32 GB of RAM for apps to 'play' with - a very big sandbox, in other words! I'm guessing your CoreDuo system probably doesn't have that much RAM available? What are we looking at; 2 GB, 4 GB?

On top of which, I don't know what else you may be running on there. Some apps themselves like to reserve 'protected memory' exclusively for their own use.....this can also cause a segfault to occur.

This is one I can't really help with, Ken. Sorry! :oops:

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh

.according to your readout, it looks like it's segfaulting.

Yep, I saw that and while not really knowing what it meant having seen it mentioned in other posts from time to time and guessed it wasn't good.

But I find it curious that it runs OK for me, yet for you it won't (for whatever reason). Or perhaps not; I have 32 GB of RAM for apps to 'play' with - a very big sandbox, in other words! I'm guessing your CoreDuo system probably doesn't have that much RAM available? What are we looking at; 2 GB, 4 GB?

Yes your right I only have 4GB but I'm not sure this is the reason the portable won't run on my machine. I removed the download and the portable from my machine. While I was in the "Multimedia" section I noticed the "kodi 19.3 matrix.pet" here

I downloaded and installed it on Fossapup and it appears to work though I haven't set it up yet. It seems quite large when it's installed. Unless it's a lot different from yours I can only think that it's to do with, as far as I understand it, the portable contains everything needed to run kodi whereas the .pet uses stuff already contained in Fossapup, however, I may have got this wrong. Even then I guess everything needed to run kodi has to be loaded whether it is run from a .pet or a portable so presumably the load on ram should be about the same for both.

Regards,

Ken.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh
@keniv

Hi mike
Just wanted to report I have the same issue as ken in both fossa64 and bionic64. Running a quad core intel w/4gb ram, terminal reports a seg fault.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, wiz.

It's possible you & Ken are in the same boat as I was when I had the old Compaq rig. I was running integrated graphics then, and could never persuade Kodi to work on there, either. I'm sorta wondering if my Nvidia card is what makes the difference here, and whether the Kodi team have upped the requirements for Mesa, OpenGL, whatever renderer they've decided Kodi is going to support. There's no end of variables in play here; TBH, I'm no wiser than you two..!!

It's the same with Google these days. If you don't run a discrete GPU, no way can you make GoogleEarth show anything except for a tiny postage-stamp-sized square jammed up into the corner of the screen. Integrated graphics just don't cut it, unless it's a fairly recent, high-spec on-die GPU built into the CPU. In both cases, I'm betting your graphics need to support a fairly up-to-date version of OpenGL...

Mike. :|

keniv

Post by keniv »

@wizard
@mikewalsh
I now have kodi working in Fossapup on my dual core 4GB machine using forum member @Lassar .pet so not sure it's a hardware issue that's causing the problem with the portable. Please see my last post (three posts back). There's also a link to the .pet. It's a different version to the portable i.e. 19.3.

Regards,

Ken.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Well mike you're smarter than you thought. Hadn't yet occurred to me that the video card was the problem. Tried it on a 2013 Lenovo laptop with 8gb ram, no go. After reading your post about the video card, tried it on a desktop with an old ATI Radeon card mesa=3.1 and it runs. Odd though as the Kodi site states mesa 11.3 is the minimum. That video spec locks them out of a lot of older computers.

EDIT: looking at pupsysinfo I thought the mesa was 3.1, not so, 3.1 is the OpenGL version, mesa = 20.0.8

Thanks
wizard

Last edited by wizard on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

If you're interested in doing an older version that would run on older computers, v16.1 might be a good choice.

Thanks
wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Hi mike,
Thought you might be interested in hardware test I ran. The first two computers are desktops, others are laptops. Looks like the 18.4 portable is more particular about the video system.

kodi-test.jpg
kodi-test.jpg (29.08 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

Thanks
wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wizard :-

Hm. Well, thanks for doing that, mate. The portable doesn't seem to like Intel graphics, does it?

My current rig has Nvidia graphics.....and even the old Compaq rig was AMD-based, so had an ATI Radeon graphics accelerator built-in to the SB400 southbridge. I could never run the portable on the old Dell (which WAS all-Intel), 'cos it was only 32-bit, y'see.....

Mike. ;)

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

Mike, remembered this kodi portable and now
as I am doing some tests with Bookworm I tried to launch this 18.4 Leila again and it works almost completely,
except that the usual video of the mp4 and streaming tv are green (disinhibiting hw acceleratio and with HW acc.).
It's a problem I already knew in my Bookworm - with Kodi 20, 19.0 matrix and Fred sensed a problem in my system and suggested I start all over again - with this test of Leila 18 we are sure that the problem is not caused by Kodi.
'll wait a few more days to see if the new system updates fix this,
otherwise as Fred advises, I'll have to start over.
that's okay. sonia
P.S
thanks for these portable applications that you find around useful to avoid bloating the operating system.

Return to “Multimedia”