Devuanpup "Daedalus" woof-ce

Moderator: Forum moderators

josejp2424

Devuanpup "Daedalus" woof-ce

Post by josejp2424 »

It is the continuation of devuanpup chimaera .

Thanks to the developers of Woof-ce ..

OS developers josejp2424 @nilsonmorales.

:arrow: Packages Devuan Deadalus.
:arrow: kernel 6.1.27
:arrow: pulseaudio
:arrow: Blueman
:arrow: midori web browser
:arrow: internet connection= sns, connman-gtk, frisbee ( Frisbee .@rerwin ).
:arrow: Celuloide, video player
:arrow: DeaDbeef, audio player
:arrow: Mpaint
:arrow: nicOS-Utility-Suite @amethyst
:arrow: PackIt @JakeSFR
:arrow: UExtract @JakeSFR
:arrow: PupMates @radky

and many other programs.
all iso's already have devx included.

Hay varios escritorios disponibles. jwm openbox mate , LXDE y xfce.

The base iso has jwm, Openbox with tint2 and jbmenu, plus bspwm desktop with polybar.

The most complete iso is the XFCE Fusilli - ( fusilli is a fork of compiz.), making it very attractive.

xfce fusilli.

Image.

Mate.

Devuanpup Openbox -jwm- bspwm .

Openbox jbmenu and tint2

Jwm

Bspwm and polybar

DevuanPup_10.0_Xfce_beta_4.iso .

DevuanPup_10.0_Mate_beta.iso .

DevuanPup_10.0_LXDE_beta_05.iso .

DevuanPup_10.0 openbox jwm bspwm .

Packages.

Last edited by josejp2424 on Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pp4mnklinux

Re: Devuanpup deadalus woof-ce

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Link to share DevuanPup install:

https://bit.ly/m/DEVUANPUP

Free 4u, free for them, free for everybody.

pup2023

Post by pup2023 »

keep-links-clean

(FatDog & Slacko user / all Puppy Linux - test) FatDog-812

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Downloaded and manual frugal install of the Devuanpup XFCE version. It wouldn't boot on my Ryzen 7 laptop. The boot hangs at :
'Waiting for modules to load...'

Other current debian based pups boot without issue on this laptop, so was surprised devuanpup won't boot.

I attempted to add a possible fix suggested by @mistfire in the quickpup thread, adding kernel line parameter processor.max_cstate=5 . The boot still fails at the same point.

Edit: In a further attempt to boot I also added nomodeset as a kernel parameter This worked, the 2 additional parameters together allowed devuanpup to successfully boot.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello everyone !
Same here but with ventoy.No succesfull boot : waiting for slow drive ...1/5,2/5,3/5,4/5,5/5. And the boot process stops.
Best regards,
Amol.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks 4 your comments, we'll try to solve these problems (pls, consider we'll try ti do our bests). Thanks a lot.

Have a nice day.

TerryH

Re: Devuanpup "Daedalus" woof-ce

Post by TerryH »

I've been using Devuanpup xfce for 2 days now. There are some things that still need to be sorted out. I'll post about some issues tomorrow. This post is about how impressed I've been with using the included midori browser. Previous attempts to use midori ended quite quickly. In the 2 days so far, it has been functioning very smoothly, without issue. So far it's running very well.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

TerryH wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:49 pm

Downloaded and manual frugal install of the Devuanpup XFCE version. It wouldn't boot on my Ryzen 7 laptop. The boot hangs at :

Other current debian based pups boot without issue on this laptop, so was surprised devuanpup won't boot.

I attempted to add a possible fix suggested by @mistfire in the quickpup thread, adding kernel line parameter processor.max_cstate=5 . The boot still fails at the same point.

Edit: In a further attempt to boot I also added nomodeset as a kernel parameter This worked, the 2 additional parameters together allowed devuanpup to successfully boot.

Can you give me the complete boot parameters did you used in order to boot that from Ryzen 7?

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

mistfire wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:08 am

Can you give me the complete boot parameters did you used in order to boot that from Ryzen 7?

This is the boot stanza I am using:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'DevuanPup xfce fusili (12/07/23 on nvme7)' {

search --set -f /DevuanPup/vmlinuz -s root
        probe  -u ($root) -s uuid       
        linux /DevuanPup/vmlinuz root=UUID=$uuid psubdir=/DevuanPup pmedia=ataflash nomodeset processor.max_cstate=5
        initrd /DevuanPup/initrd.gz

} 

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

hi @TerryH ,
thanks for the test on devuanpup.
you tried xfce only.
I would like to know if the base does the same for you.

and about the midori browser.
I was also struck by how well it works.
by mail, I could talk to one of the devolper. and he told me that they are working on the compatibility of the Extensions and the languages.
for now the priority is on the android app.
but they are not forgetting about midori desktop
so we will have news soon.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

Amol wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:22 pm

Hello everyone !
Same here but with ventoy.No succesfull boot : waiting for slow drive ...1/5,2/5,3/5,4/5,5/5. And the boot process stops.
Best regards,
Amol.

thank you @Amol

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

josejp2424 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:41 pm

hi @TerryH ,
you tried xfce only.

by mail, I could talk to one of the devolper. and he told me that they are working on the compatibility of the Extensions and the languages.

I downloaded the devuanPup_10.0_beta_05.iso, assuming this is the latest base iso. It wouldn't boot without extra parameters. It booted with just nomodeset. When booted there was no desktop, just a black screen with a functioning cursor. The first run setup GUI ran, which I completed including setting up wifi connection. The devuanpup setup GUI also ran. Most of the options didn't appear to run.

The desktop menu and icon selection did run. When I clicked on the only icon theme displayed (qogir ?), a desktop wallpaper was displayed. Nothing else was displayed. So it appears that I have X running without a desktop. I couldn't work out how to run a terminal or run gExec from a function key to try to run anything else. I had to do a hard shutdown (several times).

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

josejp2424 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:41 pm

hi @TerryH ,
you tried xfce only.

I downloaded the devuanPup_10.0_beta_05.iso, assuming this is the latest base iso. It wouldn't boot without extra parameters. It booted with just nomodeset. When booted there was no desktop, just a black screen with a functioning cursor. The first run setup GUI ran, which I completed including setting up wifi connection. The devuanpup setup GUI also ran. Most of the options didn't appear to run.

The desktop menu and icon selection did run. When I clicked on the only icon theme displayed (qogir ?), a desktop wallpaper was displayed. Nothing else was displayed. So it appears that I have X running without a desktop. I couldn't work out how to run a terminal or run gExec from a function key to try to run anything else. I had to do a hard shutdown (several times).

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

This post is referring to observations running the Devuanpup Beta 4 XFCE version. On first boot following completing the first run set up. A message displayed that compositing is not activated. Windows were displayed without window buttons and widows could not be re-sized, or moved. I activated the Fusilli compositing, when switched back to non-compositing, the windows were displayed correctly with window buttons and normal functionality.

When compositing was activated, it continually crashed and the desktop would be the same as when first booted without window buttons. The crash occurs when closing some windows. The main window that caused the crash was closing the terminal window. Some other apps caused the same thing. Notably closing a midori window didn't cause fusilli to stop. When fusilli stopped it was required either click to return to XFCE desktop or restart fusilli.

I don't know if this is an issue due to the AMD GPU of this laptop or a general issue.

Other than the compositing issue, this release is a very nice puppy derivative. Congratulations to the Dev team who created these DevuanPup releases. Excellent work.

Thank you

oui

Post by oui »

Hi Josejp

Fantastic work! Thank you very much :thumbup2: :thumbup2: :thumbup2: !

3 questions:

- how to remaster?
- paswords?
- how to stop all built in little windows an use (on demand=if needed) ONLY the choices offered by the menu?

and a question an myself: does this Pupplet really need no devx.sfs :roll: ?

Attachments
updateUpgradeAndRefractasnapshotinstallation.jpg
updateUpgradeAndRefractasnapshotinstallation.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
oui

Post by oui »

As in my eyes Puppy is now the "firefox company" I did start here a discussion about that thematic:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=42968#p42968

I thank Josejp2424 very much to do what against the monopolist position of Firefox at the Puppy community!

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@oui You wrote (at https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=42968#p42968)

But, the reaction from Devuan to do a better work as usual was

DISAPPOINTING

See yourself:

Too easily putting the blame on Devuan IMO, from what I tested there's something wrong with the midori .deb package (or brand new shiny compression type?).
I've re-packed the midori .deb and it installs fine on Debian/Devuan (if interested I can link it here).

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

oui wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:44 pm

Hi Josejp

Fantastic work! Thank you very much :thumbup2: :thumbup2: :thumbup2: !

3 questions:

- how to remaster?
- paswords?
- how to stop all built in little windows an use (on demand=if needed) ONLY the choices offered by the menu?

and a question an myself: does this Pupplet really need no devx.sfs :roll: ?

to remaster, you can use nicoOs-suity.
or in terminal with remasterpup2.
the root pass is woofwoof .
devx is included.
is ydrv_DevuanPup_10.0.sfs

oui

Post by oui »

Thank you very much :thumbup2:

josejp2424 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:48 pm

to remaster, you can use nicoOs-suity.
or in terminal with remasterpup2.

what is that? links?

the root pass is woofwoof .
devx is included.
is ydrv_DevuanPup_10.0.sfs

I would recommend, to you, but also to all other developpers:

include please such details if possible in the ~/.bash_history of your distro!!! and let it so prepared in yout distro....

later has the user only a few hits to do on the cursor up key and he can accede immediately to those very useful things!

Also such prepared actions like:

ln -s /usr/bin/mousepad /usr/bin/ed
ln -s /usr/lib//firefox-esr/firefox-esr /usr/bin/web
# for user using also full installed linux'es:
mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6
# as sda5 is always my swap, sda6 is always my ~/Documents/ FOR ALL my Linux'es
# so I never need some save file and can always find ALL my DOC in each Linux actually used!
chown -R ftp:ftp /mnt/sd5/data_coming_root_from_puppy
# for user having no orientable screen to get ¨portrait" view from act.page f.screenshot:
xrandr -o left
xrandr -o normal
# always begin with -o normal one time befor you kip the screen!
# Following gives all French, German, Portuguese, Spanish + Chinese piniyn special characters
# and is the recomm. char base for the next! The next is for much Oriental chars:
setxkbmap us intl
# inputking recommands us intl map. if firefox-esr = web:
web /https://inputking.com
#
ed .bash_history # to clean your history as
# following line as to always be the last one to react immediately hitting cursor up if sound to high!
alsamixer

pp4mnklinux

nicOS Utility suite @amethyst

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@oui

You can find them at...
... @amethyst signature.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2020

oui

Re: remaster or snapshot a distro?

Post by oui »

Hm, okay

But what are you thinking about the refractasnapshot tool and the dependencies. I know: this is not a typical Puppy technik but a Devuan one..

but as Puppy itself is going into the Devuan world not from today, it would be clever don't to do that completely blind: on good hardware (I did have until now 7 cores and I have now only a i7 4 cores, but it is enough really) the refracta snapshot make from size 4 GB (18 GB full installation from Deepin) in minutes and you can restart in EACH language you want ...

... with a system having about all performances of Puppy including RAM start (if you also have enough RAM)... :welcome:

Note: and don't forget the remaster suite from Rainer. It was so easy to use AND OFFERED immediatelly in the depositories of the developements of Wachhund (with the help of Rainer), the unique Puppy user probably having use at the same time over 100 Puppy PC's in his school :thumbup2: . Yes, I know, it is now old but it was professionnal. ONE TIME, that time, was Puppy about professional :roll: !

peebee

Post by peebee »

Tried DevuanPup_10.0_LXDE_beta_05.iso

Menu -> System -> Puppy -> Package Manager
gives:

ss.png
ss.png (59.24 KiB) Viewed 1847 times

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

peebee wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:28 am

Tried DevuanPup_10.0_LXDE_beta_05.iso

Menu -> System -> Puppy -> Package Manager
gives:
ss.png

Thank @peebee

peebee

Post by peebee »

I downloaded what appears to be the base version DevuanPup_10.0_beta_05.iso and only got a black screen with a cursor - and xwin jwm did not work.....
I included all the .sfs from the .iso - adrv, bdrv, fdrv, ydrv, zdrv.....
I ran checkdeps -system from the console and saw many missing dependencies - mainly regarding xfce which was somewhat surprising.

Computer Profile:
Machine Dell Inc. Precision WorkStation T5400 (version: Not Specified)
Mainboard Dell Inc. 0RW203 (version: NA)
• BIOS Dell Inc. A11 | Date: 04/30/2012 | Type: Legacy
• CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz (4 cores)
• RAM Total: 7955 MB | Used: 1339 MB (16.8%) | Actual Used: 552 MB (6.9%)
Graphics Resolution: 1366x768 pixels | Display Server: X.Org 21.1.8
• device-0 NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [NVS 300] [10de:10d8] (rev a2)
Audio ALSA
• device-0 Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB High Definition Audio Controller [8086:269a] (rev 09)
• device-1 NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)
Network wlan1
• device-0 Ethernet: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:167a] (rev 02)
Printers CUPS installed
• device-0 DefaultPrinter Dell_Color_Laser_1320c
• device-1 Printer CUPS-PDF
Drives Total: 1.20T
• sda ID-0: ST3320620AS (298.1G)
• sdb ID-1: WDC WD5000AZLX-75K2TA0 (465.8G)
• sdc ID-2: CT500MX500SSD1 (465.8G)
• zram0 ID-3: RAM Swap Disk (7.6G)
Partitions Mounted-FS Size Used Avail Use%
• sda2 /dev/sda2 86G 55G 27G 67%
• sdb1 /dev/sdb1 230G 151G 68G 69%

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

peebee wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:59 am

I downloaded what appears to be the base version DevuanPup_10.0_beta_05.iso and only got a black screen with a cursor - and xwin jwm did not work.....
I included all the .sfs from the .iso - adrv, bdrv, fdrv, ydrv, zdrv.....
I ran checkdeps -system from the console and saw many missing dependencies - mainly regarding xfce which was somewhat surprising.

Computer Profile:
Machine Dell Inc. Precision WorkStation T5400 (version: Not Specified)
Mainboard Dell Inc. 0RW203 (version: NA)
• BIOS Dell Inc. A11 | Date: 04/30/2012 | Type: Legacy
• CPU Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz (4 cores)
• RAM Total: 7955 MB | Used: 1339 MB (16.8%) | Actual Used: 552 MB (6.9%)
Graphics Resolution: 1366x768 pixels | Display Server: X.Org 21.1.8
• device-0 NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [NVS 300] [10de:10d8] (rev a2)
Audio ALSA
• device-0 Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB High Definition Audio Controller [8086:269a] (rev 09)
• device-1 NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)
Network wlan1
• device-0 Ethernet: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:167a] (rev 02)
Printers CUPS installed
• device-0 DefaultPrinter Dell_Color_Laser_1320c
• device-1 Printer CUPS-PDF
Drives Total: 1.20T
• sda ID-0: ST3320620AS (298.1G)
• sdb ID-1: WDC WD5000AZLX-75K2TA0 (465.8G)
• sdc ID-2: CT500MX500SSD1 (465.8G)
• zram0 ID-3: RAM Swap Disk (7.6G)
Partitions Mounted-FS Size Used Avail Use%
• sda2 /dev/sda2 86G 55G 27G 67%
• sdb1 /dev/sdb1 230G 151G 68G 69%

thanks @peebee .

yes i saw that the xfce many libraries missing.

yuki

Post by yuki »

Hola José, buenas tardes, recién descargué la versión con escritorio JWM, pero después de la pantalla de bienvenida y los ajustes del idioma y zona horaria, se queda completamente en negro y sólo aparece el puntero del mouse.

¿Sabrás, por casualidad, qué es lo que estoy haciendo mal?.

Saludos :)

Return to “Puppy Derivatives”