Puppy Network Managers - SNS, Frisbee, NetWiz, Pgprs, Pupdial

Moderator: Forum moderators

rerwin

Puppy Network Managers - SNS, Frisbee, NetWiz, Pgprs, Pupdial

Post by rerwin »

Newest packages: , Network_connect_update 20240416 (4/16/24), Frisbee 2.0.3 (4/16/24), SNS 3.5 (4/6/24)

• Simple_network_setup-3.5.1: Attached below

• Frisbee-2.0.4: Attached to next post

• Network_wizard-3.0.1: Attached below

• Network_connect_update-20240425: Attached below

Patch for tahrpup:in next message,

Attachments
network_connect_update-20240425.pet
(19.25 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
simple_network_setup-3.5.1.pet
(25.79 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
network_wizard-3.0.1.pet
(56.81 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:57 pm, edited 50 times in total.
rerwin

Post by rerwin »

Reserved

Attachments
frisbee-2.0.4.pet
(28.34 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by rerwin on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
rerwin

Re: Puppy Network Managers - SNS, Frisbee, NetWiz, Pgprs, Pupdial

Post by rerwin »

Descriptions of changes in new versions:

simple_network_setup-3.5.1:

• Corrects and shortens response when already running.

• Restores quick removal of other managers' windows.

• Corrects notification of network started by another network manager and avoids subsequent connectwizard prompt.

• (3.5) Refines registering change to sns upon connect/disconnect, to accommodate changes requiring change of network monitor.

• (3.5) Adds message if a connection was activated by another network manager, suggests disconnecting and reconnecting.

• (3.5) Refines wpa_supplicant test to confine instances to those for SNS.

• (3.5) Resets resolv.conf before starting dhcpcd, to prevent use of old setting.

• (3.5) Uses GTK+ 2 version of gtkdialog, if available as gtk2dialog, to work around gtk+ 3 sizing issue.

• (3.5) Adds checks for wayland graphical environment.

• (3.4) Includes Barry's changes for EasyOS, as unreleased version 3.3.2.

• (3.4) Changes text to remove Barry/Puppy references (v3.3.2).

• (3.4) For security, sets connections list permissions so non-root apps cannot see it (v3.3.2).

• (3.4) Renames script from rc.network to rc.snsnetwork to facilitate checking for its being run, to handle rapid stop-and-start of a connection (v3.3.2).

• (3.4) Handles "tainted" modules, for which modinfo doesn't work (v3.3.2).

• (3.4) Adds ongoing wpa_supplicant debug log, wpa-daemon.log, but only in EasyOS (v3.3.2).

• (3.4) If wifi security key not specified, obtains it from connection profile, if available, to simplify re-prioritizing connections.

• (3.4) Always waits for slow wired connection, instead of only at startup.

• (3.4) Simplifies module detection but with old method retained as fallback (as explained in udev SNS rule file); rules file renamed from 51-... to 91-..., for reliability.

• (3.4) Includes variable name and syntax refinements, for maintainability.

• (3.3.1) Increased sleep before dhcpcd, to reduce probability of dhcpcd not receiving valid IP address.

• (3.3.1) Added wired-connection dhcpcd messages to bootsysinit.log.

• (3.3.1) Added iw-missing message to wireless configure dialog, to avoid iw-missing error messages.

• (3.3) Added support of tethered "gadgets" (e.g., smart phones) that spoof their MAC addresses.

• (3.3) Added MAC address spoofing for wireless and wired connections if 'macchanger' package installed.

• (3.3) Added override of dhcpcd IP leasing response timeout to wait 10 seconds longer, to avoid invalid "169.254..." values possibly resulting from spoofing.

• (3.3) Replaced 'ethtool' for checking for wired interface readiness.

• (3.3) Refined checks for module loading, interface startup and successful-connection, minimizing impact of unplugged ethernet cable.

• (3.2) Added retries to the startup of wired interfaces.

• (3.2) Moved the log of wired connections to the /tmp SNS directory; similar to the wireless connection log, appending retries.

• ( 3.2) Changed the order of connection attempts to match the order of the listed connections, once per interface.

• (3.2) Changed the addition of wired connections to the top of list (instead of the bottom).

• (3.1) Improved compatibility with easyOS, activating automatic connection (in case Puppy evolves similarly).

• (3.1) Refined detection of module loading at boot-up, favoring first connection in list.

• (3.1) Changed yaf-splash to gtkdialog-splash because it is a link to the latter in puppies but is separate in EasyOS, lacking a needed option.

• (3.1) Internationalized list terms: Wireless, Wired, (hidden).

• (3.1) A few bug fixes

• (3.0) Wireless connection setup window simplified, removing encryption radio buttons, listing signal strength in dBm.

• (3.0) Hidden networks detected, accepting and retaining user input of network name.

• (3.0) Deprecated networking commands replaced. WEP encryption handled by wpa_supplicant.

• (3.0) Code reorganized into code segments.

• (3.0) Disconnect/reconnect splash notifications activated.

• (3.0) Internationalization using single text domain, 'simple_network_setup', instead of separate domains for each component.

• (3.0) Connection profiles shortened by omitting unused fields.

• (3.0) Failed wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd operations retried to improve robustness.

• (3.0) Tested successfully with fossapup, bionicpup, xenialpup, tahrpup64, ScPup, slacko, EasyOS, DpupBullseye, DpupBuster, DpupStretch.

• (3.0) Not usable for Pups older than tahrpup, nor tahrpup32.

• (3.0) New connection profile(s) need(s) to be created after installation. Uninstalling will restore old profile(s).

• (3.0) May require reboot after installation unless replacing SNS 2.4.x.

• (2.4.2) Rescan button added.

• (2.4.1) Active peasywifi connections are now detected.

• (2.4.1) When the Connect/Disconnect button is selected, the correct network manager's disconnect service is invoked.

• (2.4) The initial wait for drivers to load is reduced from 3 seconds to 1 second, so that the network icon may show connection sooner during boot-up.

• (2.4) Cases where a device is supported by more than a single driver could cause SNS to fail to detect the driver that is actually loaded. The expected driver may not be the loaded one. The correct driver is now detected as loaded, even if some are blacklisted or subject to "preferences". Thank you to lateadopter for reporting the problem and assisting me by patiently testing my incremental changes.

• (2.3.3) The listing of connections beginning with the strongest signal now shows positive dBm values as strongest instead of weakest. Some connections show (invalid) positive values when a device is extremely close to the wifi router. Thank you to greengeek for reporting the problem in the thread viewtopic.php?p=5639#p5639 and verifying the fix.

frisbee-2.0.4:

• Improves response when already running.

• (2.0.3) Restores function of windows spawned by main window.

• (2.0.3) Partially corrects Interface list for old devices not detected by the iw command, those (Realtek) using the wext driver. They show as "wired" and might not function with frisbee.

• (2.0.2) Uses GTK+ 2 version of gtkdialog, if available as gtk2dialog, to work around gtk+ 3 sizing issue.

• (2.0.1) Detects hidden networks identified as binary zeroes (\x00...).

• (2.0.1) Networks and interfaces selectable by double-click instead of single click.

• (2.0) The operational change is that the gprs connection log window now works. In recent Puppies only the first line of the log was shown. Actually, the GPRS feature may never have worked as intended. See the Xdialog explanation for pgprs-3.0.

• (2.0) The version was bumped to 2 because of extensive code refinement to conform to the recommended coding guidelines proposed by 01micko and others (including use of shellcheck), as well as changes to the examination (ps, pgrep) of running processes and some message refinement that includes full internationalization of TEXTDOMAIN/package "frisbee".

network_wizard-3.0.1:

• Consolidates and improves tests for already running, avoids subsequent connectwizard prompt and prevents multiple error windows.

• (3.0) Makes dialog text generic by removing "Barry" and Puppy", for EasyOS compatability (BarryK).

• (3.0) Changes internationalization to use gettext technique (BarryK).

• (3.0) Replaces deprecated ifconfig with busybox ip command (BarryK).

• (3.0) Renamed rc.network script to rc.wiznetwork (BarryK).

• (3.0) Uses gtk+ 2 version of gtkdialog, to work around gtk+ 3 sizing issue.

• (3.0) Replaces ethtool with ip-show test for LOWER_UP.

• (3.0) For configuration file names, uses lower case MAC address in names from 'ip' but can read upper case names.

• (3.0) Adds checks for already running.

• (3.0) Accommodates Bookworm (debian) pups regarding dhcpcd.

• (3.0) Removes support of ndiswrapper (Windows(tm) drivers).

• (3.0) Adds check for wayland graphical environment in addition to X.

• (2.2.1) Added pause before running dhcpcd after interface test, to improve probability of obtaining a valid IP address.

• (2.2.1) Recognizes essid '\x00...' as hidden network.

• (2.2.1) Logs all dhcpcd runs in dhcpcd.log, for session.

• (2.2) Corrects failure to connect due to failure of wpa_supplicant progress dialog and pauses between progress updates so they can be seen.

• (2.2) Restores display of progress windows during reconnections.

• (2.2) Adds interface name to dhcpcd progress dialog, because all interfaces get reconnected.

• (2.2) During reconnection and at boot-up, when multiple interfaces are present, the last-configured interface is tried first, providing control and predictability of the selected interface.

• (2.2) Various fixes: Corrects pcmcia check; simplifies link detection; sets IS_WIRELESS for use in a particular message; removes v411 BK hack to remove old network wizard configs ([0-9]mode); corrects iwconfig check to test for an associated AP address; prevents multiple psk= lines in wpa profile; corrects a PID test; corrects the wait for initialized interfaces, to retry /sys/class/net//address; corrects test for X active.

• (2.1.3) The woofCE placeholder EMPTYMARKER files in /etc/network-wizard are removed.

pgprs-3.0:

• The operational change is that the connection log window now works. In recent Puppies only the first line of the log was shown.

The problem was that the Xdialog feature used in that window no longer works as advertised, in that additions to the log were not being displayed. However, although the best fix works in Puppies, EasyOS uses the busybox version of the 'tail' command, which does not appear to support the "follow" option. As a workaround, in EasyOS pgprs displays a 10-second splash message and then shows the log window, trusting that the connection will complete by that time. If it turns out that more delay is needed, please report that in this thread. If you close the window and try to connect again (while the connection is active), the window will show the complete log.

• The version was bumped to 3 because of extensive code refinement to conform to the recommended coding guidelines proposed by 01micko and others (including use of shellcheck), as well as changes to the examination (ps, pgrep) of running processes and some message refinement that includes full internationalization of TEXTDOMAIN/package "pgprs".

pupdial-2.3:

• Deprecated ifconfig replaced by 'ip link show'.

• (2.2) Removed accommodation of obsolete gkdial.

• (2.2) Tolerates absence of networkdisconnect script.

• (2.1) Scripts moved from skeleton /usr/sbin to /usr/local/pupdial for initial package.

Last edited by rerwin on Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 pm, edited 27 times in total.
rerwin

Post by rerwin »

The releases of pgprs and frisbee as submitted to woofCE are now available in the first post, above. They restore the progressive display of the GPRS connection log for recent Puppys. They contain coding changes that do/should not change the operation of wifi/ethernet connectivity.

They are now fully internationalized, tested with the experimental version of momanager's pseudo-English translation and are ready for translators (who are welcome to suggest changes to ease the translation process).

GPRS/3G/4G users, please try these upgrades and report any issues.

Richard
KuLuSz

Post by KuLuSz »

Hi guys
This is my 1. comment in this "new" forum. Kudos of John Murga and thank you of his work!

So while iam here ... I make my new script of set (only the) wifi network under commandline. I was already testing the :
- wpa-psk ( this is my network )
- wpa2-psk - hidden ( nocsak tested his network )
... encrypted networks , which is succesfully connected.
Script is on alpha state , so u can try if work or not...we can set dhcp or static ip in the script. And yeah work !
The script cant save password, and not make profiles... :)
Dependent stuffs:
- bash - bin-utils - sed - awk - grep - pgrep - find - read - printf
- ip - ifplugstatus - wpa_cli - wpa_supplicant - wpa_passphrase
- dhcpcd
screenshot of working :)
screenshot of working :)
screenshot.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 4151 times
Attachments
wifi-v3_ENG.tgz
Remove fake .tgz extension, add permission, run as script
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

<(].K.u.L.u.S.z.[)> Contact: Discord hun / eng , IRC

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

rerwin,

Is this going to be the topic that is going to keep up with the latest versions of these programs?
The place to post problems and you are going to work on tweaking and fixing the different programs?
I thank you for all the work you do on making Puppy easy to connect to a network and Internet.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

Yes, bigpup, my intent is to have everything about maintaining the five official network managers as well as the old "network_connect_updates"/ "connectwizard+" collection in this topic, since I plan to address any of their issues.

I consider all of them to be "mature", so they should be stable. However, I have been working on a new version of SNS to improve its maintainability without impacting its operation.

Do you have any concerns about my consolidation? It just seems like a "one-stop shop" for networking with the official managers. I feel that discussions of other network managers belong in their own topics/threads.

Richard
KuLuSz

Post by KuLuSz »

I modified my wifi script to handle simple wired devices too, so now work like SNS under terminal. Have found a bug at test time: the bug is the "fast reconnection" but if u try again its connecting right, anyway error mess said device is down... i solve this problem in xenial but this problem come in bionic ... anyway all right with the script ... still alpha state , need testing with all methods... WEP and WPA-EAP methods are not in the script but work with WPA-PSK and WPA2 and work with hidden network... we can set static ip if type "s" at the ip address allocation line , anyway press enter for dhcp.... good luck folks :)

Note: i was hide my MAC address and password from the picture , anyway showing it too...

dependent stuffs:
bin-utils, bash, read, iwlist, wpa_supplicant, wpa_passphrase, dhcpcd, pgrep, sed, ifconfig, killall, sleep

Attachments
kns_ENG.tgz
Remove fake .tgz extension , add permission, then run as script.
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

KuLuSz wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:13 pm I modified my wifi script to handle simple wired devices too, so now work like SNS under terminal. Have found a bug at test time: the bug is the "fast reconnection" but if u try again its connecting right, anyway error mess said device is down... i solve this problem in xenial but this problem come in bionic ... anyway all right with the script ... still alpha state , need testing with all methods... WEP and WPA-EAP methods are not in the script but work with WPA-PSK and WPA2 and work with hidden network... we can set static ip if type "s" at the ip address allocation line , anyway press enter for dhcp.... good luck folks :)

Note: i was hide my MAC address and password from the picture , anyway showing it too...

dependent stuffs:
bin-utils, bash, read, iwlist, wpa_supplicant, wpa_passphrase, dhcpcd, pgrep, sed, ifconfig, killall, sleep

KuLuSz

Could you please start your own thread this Rerwin's thread for maintenance on frisbee etc - most confusing for people like myself trying to follow his updates.. thanks
KuLuSz

Post by KuLuSz »

ok :thumbup2: just i not found same like terminal or cli apps topic. iam sorry :roll:

dogFellow

Post by dogFellow »

KuLuSz tested kns_ENG in easybusta2.4.1 and yes it connects quick and easy, but cant verify the other claims :o
mainly wanted static ip but wasnt able to configure it. never done it before and reading internet one has to involve the ip provider. am on shared wifi belonging to hotel

rerwin perhaps also try to get the standard easybusta "Network Manger" into puppy. i have no need to use others for wlan0 when i have that. (except for static which i cant see how to configure)
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

mainly wanted static ip but wasnt able to configure it
I think the Network Wizard is the only program that gives you option to do static settings.
It is one of the options offered.

There is a lot of steps to using the Network Wizard, but everything is set by you and not automatically done.

If you need guidance on how to use Network Wizard. Just ask!

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

rerwin wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:25 am Yes, bigpup, my intent is to have everything about maintaining the five official network managers as well as the old "network_connect_updates"/ "connectwizard+" collection in this topic, since I plan to address any of their issues.

I consider all of them to be "mature", so they should be stable. However, I have been working on a new version of SNS to improve its maintainability without impacting its operation.

Do you have any concerns about my consolidation? It just seems like a "one-stop shop" for networking with the official managers. I feel that discussions of other network managers belong in their own topics/threads.

Richard
Excellent Idea!!!!
Now I know where to look and point people to go for info and help.

I kind of wonder if the Network Connection setup could work like this:
One program combining the features of SNS, Frisbee, and Network Wizard.
First it tries to do an auto setup like SNS and Frisbee.
If not able, it goes into the complete manual setup the way Network Wizard offers.

Forum Global Moderator

KuLuSz

Post by KuLuSz »

dogFellow wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:23 pm KuLuSz tested kns_ENG in easybusta2.4.1 and yes it connects quick and easy, but cant verify the other claims :o
mainly wanted static ip but wasnt able to configure it. never done it before and reading internet one has to involve the ip provider. am on shared wifi belonging to hotel

rerwin perhaps also try to get the standard easybusta "Network Manger" into puppy. i have no need to use others for wlan0 when i have that. (except for static which i cant see how to configure)
thanku to test... u need to know IP addresses what u want to use. Have no command for reading it, just if i make double connection 1.dhcp then static ... u can read gateway/DNS IP with this command when u connected with dhcp:

Code: Select all

ifconfig wlan0 | grep 'dr:' | cut -f2 -d: | cut -f1 -d' ' #i think this is the connection IP to router
or
cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep name #this is the router IP
replace 'wlan0' to your device name

dogFellow

Post by dogFellow »

KuLuSz i have now tried putting the numbers produced by the above code in the entry fields but its not connecting or just giving me my usual ip as given in https://www.iplocation.net/
KuLuSz

Post by KuLuSz »

find a man who know this stuffs , or try connect with another network manager, if there work my script is buggy...
i never use static ip :)
i was ask on discord , u can connect if u setup ruter to fix ip and then u will set that ip in my script , then add router ip 2x for gateway and DNS,,, i think this is the right working method ... so u cannot set fix ip in my script in this case ...

taersh

Post by taersh »

Hi rerwin.

Good news!

Pgprs 3.0 installed into plain FossaPup64 9.5, no save file, no save folder in use - first start.
Plugged in the USB modem, waiting a few seconds, called pgprs connect, entered APN and it connects immediately to the web!
:thumbup: :D 🕺 🤗 🥳

GREAT WORK! THANKS!

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

LateAdopter

How do I stop NetWiz connecting to open WiFi?

Post by LateAdopter »

I was experimenting with UPNP from my satellite receiver via a spare router, not connected to the internet. I set up an encrypted connection to the router using NetWiz.

I noticed that, when the router is switched off, NetWiz connects to some other WiFi system, probably a BT home hub guest.

It seems that, automatically connecting to any open WiFi, leaves me open to real drive-by attacks, since it would potentially give an unknown system unauthenticated access to my system.

I couldn't see any way to enable/disable this feature in NetWiz. Is there a proper way to disable it?

I went to SNS and didn't set up a connection and set it as default. That stopped the WiFi permanently, I hope.

Thanks.
rerwin

Re: How do I stop NetWiz connecting to open WiFi?

Post by rerwin »

LateAdopter wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:19 amI noticed that, when the router is switched off, NetWiz connects to some other WiFi system, probably a BT home hub guest.

It seems that, automatically connecting to any open WiFi, leaves me open to real drive-by attacks, since it would potentially give an unknown system unauthenticated access to my system.

I couldn't see any way to enable/disable this feature in NetWiz. Is there a proper way to disable it?
Thank you for reporting this non-intuitive behavior by NetWiz.

It is very unexpected and unnerving! Indeed, the logic seems to be intended to connect to open networks if the PC is not in its usual network environment. I am unaware of any warning that this can happen. It appears, to me, too, to be a security issue.

I have looked into the code and am reluctant to try to implement a reasonable way to control that. I am not planning to upgrade it as I am for the other network managers. But I settled on a simple mod that will disable that behavior.

In /usr/local/network-wizard/rc.network, starting somewhere between lines 624 and 631 (depending on netwiz 2.x version) there is:

else # add to list of open networks
OPEN_NETWORKS="$OPEN_NETWORKS $CELL"
fi

Insert this line before the 'fi':

OPEN_NETWORKS=''

That will override the accumulation of open networks when none of the "profiled" networks are available.

There is another place where open networks are accumulated, although I have not yet looked into that case.

This security vulnerability in NetWiz seems to be a strong reason to avoid using it in Puppies that need to be secure. Why do you need to use NetWiz instead of SNS or Frisbee? What does it do for you that the others cannot, but maybe should?

Richard
LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Richard
I did that, but without the stray " at the end. I assumed that was a copy & paste error. It had the desired effect, Thank you.

I did try SNS first when I started my UPNP experiment but, although it reconnected after a warm reboot the same day, it would not reconnect after a cold boot the following day. I tried rebooting a couple of times and I tried the connect button but no success. So I switched to NetWiz which reconnects quite reliably, but not quite 100% on this copy of Fossapup64 that I have connected to my main router.

I had a Puppy running Frisbee once. I think it came with Pemasu's Precise 372. I didn't like it and it seemed hard to remove. I haven't tried it since
rerwin

Post by rerwin »

Thanks for confirming it worked for you. Those are two single quotes, for "completeness", although not necessary.

I am concerned that SNS did not work for you. If the FossaPup version still fails to connect automatically in a cold boot, could you help me fix that by having /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network trace its operation?

To trace the wifi startup, change the rc.network line 40 from a blank line to:

set -x; exec >&2

Then, whenever a cold boot fails to connect, please send (PM) me a zipped copy of /tmp/bootsysinit.log.

I suspect that something is not waiting long enough for your interface to connect.

Richard
rerwin

simple_network_setup-2.4 released

Post by rerwin »

With lateadopter's help, I have uploaded simple_network_setup-2.4, with a link in the first post.

Its main improvement is that it now handles the case where multiple drivers are installed for the same device, including the possibility of blacklisting of some and preference specification (in Boot Manager).
rerwin

Pupdial 2.3 and Simple Network Setup 2.4.1 Released

Post by rerwin »

Pupdial is added to the download links in the first message of this thread. Version 2.3 replaces the deprecated ifconfig command with 'ip link show'.

Simple Network Setup 2.4.1 now detects connections by peasywifi and correctly disconnects connections as appropriate for the network manager making the connection.

rerwin

Network Wizard 2.2 Released

Post by rerwin »

I have added network_wizard-2.2 to the set of links in the first message of this thread.

This version was prompted by Jfadmin's report that reconnecting did not appear to work. In trying to recreate his situation I found other problems with NetWiz, so corrected all of them.

The noticeable improvements are:
- In some cases where a newly created/selected profile connection might fail for no apparent reason, that should no longer happen. It was a timing problem with the progress window for the starting of wpa_supplicant.

- Re-connection (by way of the networking tray icon) now displays progress windows while the re-connection is being established.

Further details are in the third message of this thread.

rerwin

Translations for New Simple_network_setup 3.0?

Post by rerwin »

@taersh, L18L and anyone involved with internationalization,

I am finalizing my year-long project, simple_network_setup (SNS) 3.0, which replaces deprecated commands and contains many internal- and some visible improvements.

SNS uses separate translation "text domains" for its components. Would it be better to consolidate them into a single domain, "simple_network_setup", so that there is only one .po/.mo file to maintain for each language?

Also, please tell me of any improvements I can make to facilitate translation. I have already used eval_gettext everywhere a variable is used in a message, and have broken the help text into separate paragraphs for translation.

Richard

taersh

Post by taersh »

Do you mean to have only one .po (.mo) file per language for all those programs presented in the opening post?
I don't know if that will have any benefit for translators.
L18L is the German member doing most (or almost all) translations for German language.
He's also the expert for the MoManager and gettext.

For translations I'm still using the zigbert's method within my bash scripts.

# Get Application Directory
#--------------------------
APPDIR="`dirname "$0"`" # Application Directory
APPDIRAPP="`basename "$0"`" # Application Name
[ "$APPDIR" = "." ] && APPDIR="`pwd`"
export APPDIR="$APPDIR"
export APPDIR=`dirname "$0"`
[ "$APPDIR" = '.' ] && export APPDIR=`pwd`

# Get Language Settings
#----------------------
DEFLANG=`env|grep "LANG="`
LANGUAGE=`echo $LANG|head -c5` # Workaround for utf8
TMPLANG="`ls "$APPDIR"/locals/ | grep $LANGUAGE`"
. "$APPDIR"/locals/en_US:english # Always run to fill gaps in translation
[[ "$TMPLANG" != "en_US:english" ]] && . "$APPDIR"/locals/$TMPLANG 2> /dev/null
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Music:

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

taersh wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:54 pm

Do you mean to have only one .po (.mo) file per language for all those programs presented in the opening post?

Thank you for replying.

Definitely not for all -- only one file for SNS 3.0 instead of 4. The current text domains are:

• sns___help_profiles
    sns___help_security
    sns___rc.network
    sns___sns

Only sns___sns has a large number of messages to translate. The others could be added to it, to cover all of SNS.

@L18L, I thought you would be the person to contact but could not find your ID in this forum. I would like your opinion about consolidation and any gettext improvements. (See my previous message, above.)

Richard

taersh

Post by taersh »

rerwin wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:57 pm
  • sns___help_profiles
    sns___help_security
    sns___rc.network
    sns___sns

Yes, I think this should have one gettext domain / translation file only.

I could find L18L account via murga forum and was able to sent a PM to L18L.
Included a link to the above post of yours. Though, I don't know if he still visits puppy.

My Music:

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

taersh wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:19 pm

Yes, I think this should have one gettext domain / translation file only.

Thank you! That is the answer I was hoping for. I will "make it so."

And thanks for trying to contact L18L.

rerwin

Simple_network_setup-3.0 Beta Released

Post by rerwin »

SNS-3.0 is a reorganized version that eliminates the deprecated networking commands ipconfig, iwconfig and iwlist, replacing them with ip and iw and requiring some logic changes.

Beyond that, the network setup window/dialog is upgraded to eliminate the open/WEP/WPA buttons, provide encryption details for each discovered network and allow user input of a network name for "hidden" networks. Users may want to hide their router from neighbors; SNS will accommodate that.

Instead if "encrypted" the encryption details are WEP, WPA, and RSN (WPA2, WPA3) and authentication types TKIP and CCMS (AES). For networks supporting both RSN and WPA, "R/W" or "W/R" are shown; for both CCMS and TKIP, "C/T" is shown. Examples: RSN-CCMS, R/W-C/T. RSN-CCMS is the most secure.

Some of the messages have been changed, which will impact translations. To assist with that and under advice, the text domain is changed to "simple_network_setup" for all of the components. The translations for the unchanged messages can be copied from the old "sns___sns" text domain .po files.

Other noticeable changes are:

• In the main window, the connected network name is added to the status message.

• For disconnection and re-connection, notification splash messages are now shown (bug fix).

• The Help information is updated for the dialog changes.

Note that the changes in SNS 2.4.x are included, which improve the detection of network driver loading. If you are not replacing SNS 2.4.x, a reboot after installation is required before using the "Connect" button of SNS or the network tray icon pop-up menu option, "Reconnect to network".

Please report here anything that seems not right with the SNS 3 operation and any further puppies that you run it on, successfully or not. Thank you for however you check this out.

The link to SNS 3.0 is here: viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241
The change summary is here: viewtopic.php?p=2249#p2249

Richard

Last edited by rerwin on Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Network”