Share my BullseyeDog LiveUSB custom build for hardware testing (nvidia-drivers, GPUTest)

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

gumanzoy

Share my BullseyeDog LiveUSB custom build for hardware testing (nvidia-drivers, GPUTest)

Post by gumanzoy »

First big thanks to Fred (fredx181) !

Full announce, description and screenshots of my build (in Russian language)

I build LiveUSB for hardware testing (mostly laptops).
Size ~1GB
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
Contains both amd64 and i686 versions. For i686 use kernel without PAE for old CPUs compatibly.
kernels 5.10.92 / 5.16.7
Xfce desktop and NetSurf as browser. (for amd64 chromium-98.0.4758.80 in live/modules)
All my modifications in 05-customtools.squashfs
I build 3 versions of nvidia drivers in separate modules: 340.108, 390.144 and 470.103.01
And add to linuxrc new param nvidia_detect (based on old Porteus code vga_detect). Full description (in Russian language)
Share it here after 4 months of testing.

root password: dog
puppy password: dog

Image Image Image Image

UPD: Update 2022.07.12

Update 2022.02.14

Add HWE (folder live/hwe): Linux kernel 5.14.3 mesa-21.2.1 libdrm-2.4.107 llvm-12
Update bootloader configs

Download: drive.google.com
magnet-link: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6229fd7cdf86f09168bace147412069159ac6a68&dn=liveusb-1100mb-doglinux-debian-11&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce

Attachments
liveusb-1100mb-doglinux-debian-11.torrent
(28.46 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Last edited by gumanzoy on Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
fredx181

Re: Share my BullseyeDog LiveUSB custom build for hardware testing (nvidia-drivers, GPUTest)

Post by fredx181 »

Very nice advanced OS @gumanzoy !
I booted the amd64 version by manual install using grub4dos bootloader on my very old HP laptop from 2007 and it all seems to work well from quick test.
I don't have Nvidia graphics card, so can't test that.
Just one thing for now, the Netsurf browser isn't very good IMO, had to enable javascript (in preferences) to be able to browse this forum, and looks a bit strange (compared to what I'm used to, firefox or chrome).

Fred

gumanzoy

Re: Share my BullseyeDog LiveUSB custom build for hardware testing (nvidia-drivers, GPUTest)

Post by gumanzoy »

The advantage of NetSurf is save memory. I boot every time with copy2ram, and normally don't need web browser. Its good only for static html sites or read html files. Or just for test internet connection is worked.
I include google-chrome-92.0.4515.107.squashfs in live/optional

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

gumanzoy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:16 pm

I include google-chrome-92.0.4515.107.squashfs in live/optional

Yes, I noticed, perhaps good to add to your documentation (if not already) option to add 'load=google-chrome' (to load it automatically from optional) to the boot cmdline.

gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:27 pm

Yes, I noticed, perhaps good to add to your documentation (if not already) option to add 'load=google-chrome' (to load it automatically from optional) to the boot cmdline.

This option included in all bootloaders configs. You can check grub4dos/doglinux.lst

gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

Update 2022.02.14 description (in Russian language)
Update kernels 5.10.92 / 5.16.7
amd64 debian kernels rebuild with intel-nvme-remap.patch from EndlessOS
For 5.10.92 kernel build Realtek rtw88 updated driver from git.
Kernel 5.16.7 build with enabled new ntfs3 driver. And enabled by default, instead of ntfs-3g, if boot with.
For live/hwe option build libdrm-2.4.109 and mesa-21.3.5. But with llvm-11 instead of llvm-13 for avoid of duplicate.
Build nvidia-driver-470.103.01 modules for booth 5.10.92 / 5.16.7 kernels.
Replace Google Chrome with new chromium-98.0.4758.80 and place it into modules. From now it is default browser for amd64 version.
Add CPU-X software module. Fresh build from git 20220213.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks gumanzoy !

I've mirrored your share as tar.gz liveusb-1100mb-doglinux-debian-11
Blog (english translate): https://gumanzoy-blogspot-com.translate ... x_tr_hl=nl
Discussion on forum-puppyrus-org (english translate): https://forum-puppyrus-org.translate.go ... #msg182872 (interesting discussion, btw ;) )

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I saw this Bullseye Dog and downloaded and installed it, booted via Grub4Dos. Took bit messing with Grub. Anyway seems quite nice. Updated repositories and even added the winehq repositories. Nope, WINE just isnt installing. No matter what I did, apt-get told me broken package (unsolvable dependency problems) and thats that. Otherwise as say, I like it.

gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

mouldy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:15 am

WINE just isnt installing.

Before installing Wine need
dpkg --add-architecture i386

I dont't try install wine in DebianDog.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

gumanzoy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:36 am
mouldy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:15 am

WINE just isnt installing.

Before installing Wine need
dpkg --add-architecture i386

I dont't try install wine in DebianDog.

The exact procedure in detail: https://www.how2shout.com/linux/how-to- ... -bullseye/ which of course includes adding 32bit libraries. Apt-get makes sure its all installed. Oh and I had WINE working fine in Buster Dog (Buster based), the last version Fred offered as an ISO. I think its Debian 11 problem that I have also seen in other Debian 11 based distributions.

Hey I dont expect miracles and like say I liked your Bullseye Dog. I mostly did it cause I have been having problems with WINE and Bullseye based distributions. Same version WINE works fine in Fossapup 9.5, Knoppix 9.1, and MX-19 (Buster based).

It will install and run in MX-21(Bullseye based) and actual Debian 11. BUT its wonky. Stuff that usually works in WINE doesnt, makes me reinstall stuff multiple times, etc. And yea at this point I have quite bit experience with WINE. So when its wonky WINE, I know it. Just as final sanity check, going to try installing it on Fedora 35 tomorrow. Same version WINE from wineHQ repositories, but the Fedora rpm packages.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Not that important. But yea I installed latest version WINE staging 7.4 on LXDE Debian10. It works fine. So something in Debian11 and Debian11 derivatives that can cause problems with WINE. I was starting to question my sanity. Really never had problem getting WINE installed to working condition until Debian11. Oh similar problems in fully updated Fedora35 so could be newer linux kernel that is giving fits?

dcung

Post by dcung »

I just saw this thread.
I did some test with help from Fred and Bill a while ago.
Nvidia GeForce 7900GS (in PCs) and nvidia quadro (in Dell D630 laptops).
viewtopic.php?t=3062
viewtopic.php?t=3062&hilit=nvidia&start=39

I downloaded yours and tested it.
Thank you @gumanzoy. Your custom build shows that with the skill and knowledge like yourself, nvidia driver (in Dell D630 laptops with nvidia quadro) can work in Bullseye.

I attempted to redo installing nvidia driver (only with newer kernel) hoping to update the old post, but still could not achieve like you had. I lack the know how. If you have pointers or hint for me to make custom build for Dell D630 nvidia driver, I appreciate it and will experiment with it again - interested to get old nvidia driver working in Bullseye for my D630.

Apart from attempting to redo, I tried to put your nvidia squash in a vanilla Bullseye, hoping for 'miracles' and it didn't work.

Here's a screenshot of your custom build on a Dell D630 -> works great! :thumbup:

Attachments
Screenshot_2022-04-14_19-01-38.png
Screenshot_2022-04-14_19-01-38.png (404.2 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
dcung

Post by dcung »

Updated/corrected my old post to reflect that it is possible to have legacy nvidia n340 driver in Bullseye.
viewtopic.php?t=3062&hilit=nvidia&start=47

I just don't know how...

gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

@dcung

I use this version nvidia-graphics-drivers-legacy-340xx (340.108-10) unstable

You can add it from snapshot

https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/deb ... acy-340xx/

Code: Select all

deb https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20210501T031424Z/ sid main contrib non-free
dcung

Post by dcung »

@gumanzoy
viewtopic.php?t=3062&hilit=nvidia&start=48

I just got it working. I found some postings and followed it. They were using this repo.
I just use Fred's minimal build with kernel k-5.10.0-13-amd64

# Debian Sid
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

If I didn't see your post and test your custom build, I didn't know for sure that Bullseye will install n340 driver. So, thank you!

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Ilianaroe wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:01 am
dcung wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:37 am

@gumanzoy
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=3062&hilit=nvidia&start=48

I just got it working. I found some postings and followed it. They were using this repo.
I just use Fred's minimal build with kernel k-5.10.0-13-amd64

# Debian Sid
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free

If I didn't see your post and test your custom build, I didn't know for sure that Bullseye will install n340 driver. So, thank you!

Will you please share those reddits links? It will be really helpful for me

I think those reddit links are shared here: viewtopic.php?p=54972#p54972
EDIT: As stated in one of these reddit posts https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... &context=3:

then reboot and all is working with the proprietary driver. I then removed the repository from apt sources.list

Important IMO to remove the Sid repo from sources.list after done, otherwise you get a mixed Bullseye/Sid system, which I wouldn't recommend (sooner or later gives problems).

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:26 am

Important IMO to remove the Sid repo from sources.list after done, otherwise you get a mixed Bullseye/Sid system, which I wouldn't recommend (sooner or later gives problems).

Yes :thumbup: , I did it on a 'disposable' install, ie. delete afterward. Only did it to satisfy my curiosity.
Now I know, StretchDog, BusterDog, Bullseye, and Sid can install the driver on this old laptop of mine. I still use StretchDog mainly though.

gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

Update 2022.07.12

Fresh rebuild 01-filesystem.squashfs. Add man-db and keep eng manpages.

Add i386 libs to amd64 build: libjpeg62-turbo:i386 libncursesw5:i386 libncursesw6:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libxcursor1:i386 libxext6:i386 libxft2:i386 libxinerama1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libpng12-0:i386

Modify build script mklive-bullseye

mklive-bullseye-gumanzoy.tar.xz
(16.92 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

mklive-bullseye-gumanzoy -cli mklive-bullseye64-xfce-gumanzoy.conf

+[ "$ARCH" = "amd64" ] && dpkg --add-architecture i386

Disable smartd

+echo path-exclude=/etc/init.d/smartmontools > etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/smartd
+echo path-exclude=/usr/sbin/smartd >> etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/smartd

libpng12 install

+if [ "$ARCH" = "amd64" ]; then
+! [ -f var/cache/apt/archives/libpng12*_i386.deb ] && \
+wget --no-check-certificate https://github.com/doglinux/bulldog/raw/master/i386/libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3.2_i386.deb \
+-P var/cache/apt/archives
+dpkg --force-overwrite -i var/cache/apt/archives/libpng12*_i386.deb
+fi

I prefer to keep eng manpages, but delete /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/info
Copy code from livekit Slax cleanup to ungzip manpages.

+# Unzip gzipped files (man pages), so LZMA can compress 2times better.
+# First we fix symlinks, then uncompress files
+# $1 = search directory
+uncompress_files()
+{
+   local LINK LINE
+
+   find "$1" -type l -name "*.gz" | while read LINE; do
+      LINK="$(readlink "$LINE" | sed -r 's/.gz$//')"
+      FILE="$(echo "$LINE" | sed -r 's/.gz$//')"
+      ln -sfn "$LINK" "$FILE"
+      rm -f "$LINE"
+   done
+   find "$1" -type f -name "*.gz" | xargs -r gunzip
+}
+
+uncompress_files etc/alternatives
+
 if [ "$KEEPMANDOC" = "FALSE" ]; then
 find /usr/share/doc -type f -exec rm -f {} 2> /dev/null \;
 find usr/share/man -type f -exec rm -f {} 2> /dev/null \;
 find usr/share/gtk-doc -type f -exec rm -f {} 2> /dev/null \;
 find usr/share/info -type f -exec rm -f {} 2> /dev/null \;
     chown -R man:root usr/share/man
+else
+find usr/share/doc -type f -exec rm -f {} 2> /dev/null \;
+find usr/share/gtk-doc -type f -exec rm -f {} 2> /dev/null \;
+find usr/share/info -type f -exec rm -f {} 2> /dev/null \;
+rm -f usr/local/bin/man
+rm -fr usr/share/man/??
+rm -fr usr/share/man/??.*
+rm -fr usr/share/man/*_*
+uncompress_files usr/share/man
+    chown -R man:root usr/share/man
 fi

Add same behavior to apt2sfs, apt2sfs-fullinst and remastercow scripts.
Make /usr/local/lib/cleanup function and import it to scripts.

apt2sfs-remastercow-libcleanup.patch.tar.xz
(9.66 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hi @gumanzoy , first, thanks for your work !
But... tried your mklive mod by running ./mklive-bullseye-gumanzoy -cli mklive-bullseye64-xfce-gumanzoy.conf and failed because debootstrap not found.
I noticed that you commented out download and install debootstrap, any reason for that ?

# wget --no-check-certificate http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.89_all.deb -O debootstrap_1.0.89_all.deb
# dpkg -i debootstrap_1.0.89_all.deb

Uncommented these lines and the build went fine.
Note that the older debootstrap version is on purpose, once I tried newest version and it didn't follow the --no-merged-usr switch, which is needed, otherwise e.g. /bin /lib become symlinks which may conflict with some custom programs, e.g. remaster and with sfs loading.

gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:14 am

Note that it's on purpose that it's an older debootstrap version, once I tried newest version and it didn't follow the --no-merged-usr switch, which is needed, otherwise e.g. /bin /lib become symlinks which may conflict with some custom programs, e.g. remaster and with sfs loading.

debootstrap 1.0.123 from bullseye (my host system) works fine with --no-merged-usr
I use this version for my builds.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

gumanzoy wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:27 am
fredx181 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:14 am

Note that it's on purpose that it's an older debootstrap version, once I tried newest version and it didn't follow the --no-merged-usr switch, which is needed, otherwise e.g. /bin /lib become symlinks which may conflict with some custom programs, e.g. remaster and with sfs loading.

debootstrap 1.0.123 from bullseye (my host system) works fine with --no-merged-usr
I use this version for my builds.

Ok, but still the script should install debootstrap IMO (1.0.123 then if you prefer), it's a dependency.

gumanzoy

Post by gumanzoy »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:32 am

Ok, but still the script should install debootstrap IMO (1.0.123 then if you prefer)

I commented it out. Because debootstrap already installed in my system. And i don't suggest this patch for general version of script.
But if no have debootstrap - script show msg "You don't have debootstrap installed.\nIt's a dependency of this program.\n Please install it."

Maybe it will be good to have separate options KEEPMAN KEEPDOC KEEPINFO
and if KEEPMAN="TRUE", but KEEPLOCALES="FALSE" - delete manpages other than eng.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

gumanzoy wrote:

I commented it out. Because debootstrap already installed in my system. And i don't suggest this patch for general version of script.
But if no have debootstrap - script show msg "You don't have debootstrap installed.\nIt's a dependency of this program.\n Please install it."

Yes, that's right.

Maybe it will be good to have separate options KEEPMAN KEEPDOC KEEPINFO
and if KEEPMAN="TRUE", but KEEPLOCALES="FALSE" - delete manpages other than eng.

Good ideas, but at the moment I'm not sure if I'll do that, it's rather complicated to implement in the GUI and CLI (and also in the .conf files) (and the script is already over-complicated IMO)

Return to “DebianDogs”