Looking for a website where I can install Windows OS and programs.

MrAccident

Looking for a website where I can install Windows OS and programs.

Post by MrAccident »

(edit: the conclusion I reached - is to use QEMU(Virtual Machine).
I actually encountered such a website in the past, but now can't remember how it's called, and can't even find anything like that in Google - cause I don't know how to phrase it.
In the website - I installed some Windows version, and then installed a program.
I need to install some obscure Windows program, and Wine hates me.
Or some other option; I think a Virtual Machine is too much(?).
FossaPup

Last edited by MrAccident on Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Re: Looking for a website where I can install Windows OS and programs.

Post by Clarity »

You "can" install a minimal Windows within FossaPUP using its QEMU. In my case, Windows run faster actually on my PC as does most/many PUPs do. I find the QEMU VM performing at near 100% in FossaPUP64 vs standalone.

In fact, this QEMU approach was discussed very early on when FossaPUP64 was released into the wild.

Its not a website, of course, but it may suit your purpose for local management of your applications.

In my past, I have used a cloud service (there are many...most of them require some money) for running a Win in the cloud. But haven't done so recently.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Clarity:

You "can" install a minimal Windows within FossaPUP using its QEMU.

Yeah I'll probably use that. It's not a problem organizing some Windows-Lite or even Micro; maybe even XP IDK (it's the last I used :-D).

In my case, Windows run faster actually on my PC as does most/many PUPs do.

I don't understand - faster than what?

in FossaPUP64 vs standalone

What is "standalone"? It's an OS of it's own?

Even thought this program doesn't need to interact with "the world" - for the future ― can programs inside the VM interact with: Puppy, file-system, Internet?

Grey

Post by Grey »

MrAccident wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:52 pm

can programs inside the VM interact with: Puppy, file-system

viewtopic.php?p=23532#p23532 :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Grey - can't say I understood how everything is done; but I still haven't started to work on this. But it's written about virtual Puppy ― what about virtual Windows?

Grey

Post by Grey »

MrAccident wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:55 pm

But it's written about virtual Puppy ― what about virtual Windows?

Windows XP works great in QEMU. The disk image formats can be used the same. In general, the recommendations for use are the same.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Grey - OK, kept it for the future.
Thanks.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @MrAccident, again

'Standalone' is my reference of running the PUP without the Virtual Machine (aka QEMU) vs having the VM active with a PUP running within. When, in the past, I compare the responsiveness, I have found the VM apps to appear to be more responsive than the apps on the standalone PUP.

In FossaPUP64 on one of its menus, the QEMU app is listed. Clicking it will instruct you steps for adding to the FossaPUP. After adding it, Clicking same menu will run QEMU to "define" your VM and what you will boot inside the VM.

@Grey list a good reference.

Here is an old step-by-step for getting a VM that allows you to see the same performance improvements I've found.

In each instructions case, you add QEMU, then tell QEMU to create and boot a Virtual PC. To you, you will see a secondary PC emerge in front of you on your desktop. Use it in the same way as if you had 2 real PCs at your fingertips.

Enjoy.

BEWARE: If you set it up, you will easily become addicted! You can run ANYTHING in your Virtual PC (VM). And you can create any kind of PC CPU hardware you choose.

ASK questions if either of the 2 documents gets a little confusing as you progress with QEMU. Expect help from several-many here in the forum.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Clarity:

BEWARE: If you set it up, you will easily become addicted! You can run ANYTHING in your Virtual PC (VM). And you can create any kind of PC CPU hardware you choose.

I can't imagine what I can choose for hardware; and I just need 1 system which is perfect, and I'm getting very close. So don't worry ― I won't get "hooked" :-D.

I compare the responsiveness, I have found the VM apps to appear to be more responsive than the apps on the standalone PUP.

Interesting... and strange. ':-/ I'm reading the guide ― is this explained there?

In FossaPUP64 on one of its menus, the QEMU app is listed.

Without installing from QuickPet? I couldn't find it.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

how do I check if my BIOS has "Virtualization" turned off? I don't understand what is the command, from the text.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @MrAccident

In the Guide's TOC, under the heading "CPU feature requirement test" is a linux command to test your PC for the acceleration feature that the Linux kernel + QEMU uses to give native (standalone) performanceto your virtual PC (VM).

I HIGHLY recommend you check and insure your PC has it. Most Intels do and almost ALL AMDs have the feature...but check anyway.

QEMU will still set a VM, but the performance feature is a recommendation you will want to activate.

Again, BEWARE. Once you discover this, you will ....

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Clarity - I didn't explain well: I don't understand what is the command in this long text:

Code: Select all

bash-4.1# egrep --color=always -i 'vmx|svm' /proc/cpuinfo
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good nopl extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy

If it's bash-4.1# egrep --color=always -i 'vmx|svm' /proc/cpuinfo - then I get bash: bash-4.1#: command not found.

Keef

Post by Keef »

You have included the prompt when pasting the line - you just need:

egrep --color=always -i 'vmx|svm' /proc/cpuinfo
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Some PUPs of the past did NOT have 'egrep' command. Yours does, if I am reading your post correctly. AND, your results shows you have "svm". This means that your PC has the hardware that the Linux kernel will use to accelerate a VM's preformance.

That command interrogates your system for PCs hardware feature. It intends to display in color the string you are looking for. Also, there is the GREP command vs EGREP: It is explained here.

grep --color=always -E 'vmx|svm' /proc/cpuinfo

will yield the same as the egrep command (hint: notice the slight difference).

BTW: Which PC are you using and which PUP distro are you using?

Just follow the other 3 steps in that document to boot any ISO of your choice. (attached is My PC's results outputted in color)

Attachments
Check this CPU.jpg
Check this CPU.jpg (82.22 KiB) Viewed 589 times
MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Clarity:
I have plenty of the red "svm" things; so I'm good to go?

BTW: Which PC are you using and which PUP distro are you using?

PC: AMD Mini PC Ryzen 7 2700U Quad Core Vega 10 Graphic 2*DDR4 1T M.2 NVME SSD 4K HDMI2.0 DP AC WiFi

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@nillwatson532 - yeah, that's what I decided to do. But I'm waiting for Clarity to finish his guide (testing it by me trying to set it up).
P.S. probably what I found was called Cloud VM or something.

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

MrAccident wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:47 am

how do I check if my BIOS has "Virtualization" turned off? I don't understand what is the command, from the text.

If you are on a laptop, there is usually a key you hit during boot up to get into your BIOS to check/enable Virtualization. Common keys to press at boot up are ESC, F10 and F12. What is your computer model that you are using?

Virtualization REALLY makes QEMU move extremely fast. I've downloaded Windows 10 HiRens as an ISO file and loaded it up in QEMU. This method of running Windows through Puppy Linux make Windows tolerable to me (when I have to use Windows).

Regarding your original question about online Windows computers that you can use via web interface, I know what you are talking about. There wa a site I used a long time ago where you can borrow a Windows computer and interact with it via your web browser. I can't recall the links to those sites a well. However, you could create a free "online instance" of Windows on Amazon Web Services. I don't recommend going this route, because it will take more time and effort to configure and interact with it (versus using QEMU).

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@snoring_cat - I already done it. I don't remember the key 100% :-P ...probably Delete key (there's only one Delete key on my keyboard, at the top).
The computer: AMD Mini PC Ryzen 7 2700U Quad Core Vega 10 Graphic 2*DDR4 1T M.2 NVME SSD 4K HDMI2.0 DP AC WiFi.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”