Easy Daedalus 6.3.90 (6.4 RC1)

Post by BarryK »

Daedalus 6.3.90 (6.4 RC1) released, Ocober 16, 2024
Forum discussion starts here:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 13#p133213

October 14
I posted about this to my blog this morning:

https://bkhome.org/news/202410/playing- ... dalus.html

I'm very pleased that the problem with LibreOffice not starting in bookworm is fixed. Well, worked-around by compiling LO myself.

Will this become a new EasyOS series?

Will do a bit more testing, decide in a couple of days.
Looking good so far.

Compiled the 6.6.56 kernel on running "Easy Daedalus".

Amol

Re: Easy Daedalus is comming

Post by Amol »

Hello Barry !
Great news !!
Amol

Stogie

Re: Easy Daedalus is coming

Post by Stogie »

That's awesome news, Barry!

With the regular package manager having access to the giant Debian repos, and also having appi and flappi when needed/desired, this will be the best Easy EVER in terms of how much software can be installed easily, simply and quickly by non-technical users.

Thanks again for all your efforts!

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I tested PKGget by installing various apps.
Also Dolphin file manager, as that is a KDE app and has many requirements so is a "stress test" for compatibility.

Took ages to install, as about 140 dependencies.

Started up, icons did not display, nor the drive partitions.

The latter is a known thing; it isn't in the Dolphin deps list, but also need 'udisk2' package.
Yes, that fixed the partitions; now they display and can be mounted.

But no icons. Managed to get image thumbnails by installing yet more packages, but the icons, no.

After a bit of an online search, found this is a common problem with dolphin. Arch Linux wiki gives advice how to fix it -- which didn't work. Weird, the Adwaita and hicolor icon sets are there, so why can't dolphin see them?

I have to move on. Maybe that can be a project for someone.

A comment: had to install about 160 packages, just to get a file manager working, that isn't even very integrated with EasyOS.
For example, click on a partition and it mounts, but mounts under /media folder, which is contrary to how EasyOS does it.
You would need to have a very very good reason for wanting dolphin, to justify the hassles.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

BarryK wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 6:05 am

Also Dolphin file manager, as that is a KDE app and has many requirements so is a "stress test" for compatibility.

The latter is a known thing; it isn't in the Dolphin deps list, but also need 'udisk2' package.

But no icons. Managed to get image thumbnails by installing yet more packages, but the icons, no.

After a bit of an online search, found this is a common problem with dolphin. Arch Linux wiki gives advice how to fix it -- which didn't work. Weird, the Adwaita and hicolor icon sets are there, so why can't dolphin see them?

A comment: had to install about 160 packages, just to get a file manager working, that isn't even very integrated with EasyOS.
For example, click on a partition and it mounts, but mounts under /media folder, which is contrary to how EasyOS does it.
You would need to have a very very good reason for wanting dolphin, to justify the hassles.

Thank you, @BarryK , for all the effort you've put into testing PKGget and exploring compatibility with apps like Dolphin.

Your thoroughness is MUCH appreciated and I completely agree with your sentiment/feelings/oppinion —sometimes the final result just doesn't justify the immense effort or the potential issues that arise along the way.

As you mentioned, it's easy to get caught up in trying to perfect things, but we shouldn't obsess, especially when the return isn't worth it.

I believe I speak on behalf of all EasyOS users in thanking you for ALL your hard work. Thanks again for it !!

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Probably Dolphin will only work properly OOTB within a complete KDE Desktop environment (with all KDE and QT configuration settings available).

BarryK

Easy Daedalus 6.3.90

Post by BarryK »

EasyOS Daedalus-series 6.3.90 (6.4RC1) is released, see blog announcement

https://bkhome.org/news/202410/easyos-d ... -64rc.html

Testers welcome!

Note that you cannot update from a Scarthgap installation. Daedalus will have to be a new install.

don570

Easy Daedalus md5sum checked OK

Post by don570 »

Easy Daedalus md5sum checked OK

e4e62dec5310d21a6dd155400b40d48f easy-6.3.90-amd64.img

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 5:29 pm

Probably Dolphin will only work properly OOTB within a complete KDE Desktop environment (with all KDE and QT configuration settings available).

Yes. Maybe it is as simple as setting a KDE environment variable.

Qt seems alright. I installed OBS-Studio, which is a Qt5 app and it works OK, well, it started up and the UI looked OK.

tammi806

Re: Easy Daedalus 6.3.90 (6.4 RC1)

Post by tammi806 »

I just downloaded and installed Easy Daedalus 6.3.90 (6.4 RC1) as a frugal to a usb flash drive and it went without a hitch and so far everything I've used works fine. :thumbup2:

The TV Panel works although not all of the channels although that could be on their end as it seems to be a hit and miss depending on the day or night.

Don't know how much help I'll be although I'll report any problems and issues if they occur.

Thanks for all of your work Barry K. :thumbup2:

Federico

Post by Federico »

Dear Barry, thank you very much for this beautiful new gift. I will test it as soon as I find a little bit of time.

As far as I know, it's enough to install the Debian Breeze Icon Theme in order for the icons on Dolphin 22 to display correctly. Here again the list of Debian packages I'm using on Scarthgap 6.3.1.

Best wishes.

Desktop PC
Case: Sharkoon S25-W MB: Asus Rog Strix B550-A PSU: XFX Pro 750W CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X @ 4.6 GHz RAM: Corsair 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz Heatsink: Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B VGA: Asus Tuf RTX 3080 12 GB OC

Laptop PC: Asus Zenbook UX325E

Return to “EasyOS”