BookwormPup64 10.0.8

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.8

Post by Clarity »

OOPPPSSSS! I am on the wrong test PC. The prior post if from a v1007 test PC.

On this PC's (a different test PC), its booted v1008 and shows what's expected:

JWMdesk for BKWP64 v1008.jpg
JWMdesk for BKWP64 v1008.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 143 times

Sorry for my confusion, here.

radky

Post by radky »

@Clarity

When JWMdesk is launched, the script checks the jwmrc-personal configuration file for either modern or legacy jwm code syntax pertaining to the display of virtual desktops. If the code is missing or corrupt, this option will not appear in the JWMdesk gui.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@norgo , @peebee , @rockedge , @radky

Almost ALL desktop PCs (and many laptops too) have processors that are VM capable. Each of you know the value of VM being turned on when KVM processing benefits the VM performacne. This is presented to you, as each of you KNOW the value of the following.

@Norgo has built a utility some time ago that not only exposes, but also turns on the VM support that the PC has. It is named "qemu_ready". It is intelligent while also tiny.

This utility is NOT one that comes with QEMU packaging, officially; even as its usefulness for VM is apparent.

Since its tiny, I propose that it be included in the system builds such that when QEMU is installed, the utility is present. Further if included, there 'could' be utility allowing users to activate it via the system Menu.

If this is reasonable, it will show up in future versions thru your WoofCE efforts.

ozsouth

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.8 initmodules

Post by ozsouth »

radky wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:20 pm
ozsouth wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:06 am

@radky - modules init file is: dpupbw64initmodules.txt (in same folder as puppy .sfs). By making that file with just (the word) coretemp in it & rebooting, temperature taskbar display now works for me (with my 6.6.47 kernel installed). If there were other modules, would be comma separated.

@ozsouth

If I understand correctly (for frugal installs) Puppy creates *initmodules.txt during the creation of the save area. ... The *initmodules.txt file contains a comma-delimited list of kernel modules which support input devices (wireless keyboards) that must load early in the boot process. I'm not sure about the suitability of *initmodules.txt for early loading of other kernel modules (such as coretemp.ko) which typically load via modprobe.

@radky - absolutely correct if you intend to install. That was a shorthand hack I used to illustrate a possibility for just running live. A ydrv including a small script with modprobe coretemp, in /root/Startup would be the correct procedure. I should have specified that.

Return to “BookwormPup”