Some photos of the Flatpak Installer and user customization:

fp-cust1.png
fp-cust1.png (55.34 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
fp-cust2.png
fp-cust2.png (24.38 KiB) Viewed 2604 times
Xyz2022

Chrome Browser - Kirkstone-series

Post by Xyz2022 »

The Chrome browser is now included in the main download. Whereas Firefox is optional.

Google is a Mighty force of 21st Century. In comparison, the EASY Os is an independent Os outside the typical Operating Systems. By making Chrome browser Mandatory is equivalent to end of independence. Any Google product should be an Optional Download

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266 ... l-revenue/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/234 ... -revenues/

Chrome Browser holds about 65% market share.

https://www.statista.com/topics/5684/we ... itorsPicks

https://www.statista.com/statistics/216 ... h-engines/

Caramel

Re: EasyOS Kirkstone-series version 5.3

Post by Caramel »

(EasyOS 5.3 - fresh install)

The Installation of flatpak fails

capture15990.png
capture15990.png (14.78 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

then an window opens and closes immediately
There are no downloads

capture12096.png
capture12096.png (3.98 KiB) Viewed 2563 times

EDIT: Solved with the command

Code: Select all

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
Caramel

Post by Caramel »

Test of the customization of Flapi (see viewtopic.php?p=88769#p88769)

Addition of Lagrange (a Gemini client - https://flathub.org/fr/apps/fi.skyjake.Lagrange)

Attachment with fake .gz

lagrange.gz
(147 Bytes) Downloaded 53 times

Lagrange don't start (after a click on the icon)

Fails too in the terminal :

# flatpak run fi.skyjake.Lagrange
Lagrange: A Beautiful Gemini Client
[window] failed to create window: Window is too large.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

In the blog announcement, reported a bug in EasySetup:

In EasySetup, "Easy Containers" category, returns "No applications found".

The fix is, open /usr/local/easysetup/sub-menu in a text editor, and insert this line at line 30:

easycontainers) CATS='^Exec=easy-containers' ;;
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Caramel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:29 pm

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

I tested Flapi, both in a new 5.3 in a flash stick, and an update from 5.2.3, and it worked.

The code in /usr/local/flatpak/flatpak does what you had to do manually:

#register with flathub...
if [ ! -d /mnt/wkg/flatpak/repo ];then
 #need internet connection...
 if [ ! -s /tmp/pup_event_backend/network_ ];then
  M3="$(gettext 'An Internet connection is required to register with Flathub repository.')"
  popup "terminate=ok background=#ff8080 level=top process=wait|<big>${M3}</big>"
  exec flapi
 fi
fi
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Caramel wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:48 pm

Test of the customization of Flapi (see viewtopic.php?p=88769#p88769)

Addition of Lagrange (a Gemini client - https://flathub.org/fr/apps/fi.skyjake.Lagrange)

Attachment with fake .gz
lagrange.gz

Lagrange don't start (after a click on the icon)

Fails too in the terminal :

# flatpak run fi.skyjake.Lagrange
[window] failed to create window: Window is too large.

It works for me. Your 'lagrange' file looks ok, though I went through the process of entering the values into the GUI.

The script to run it is created at /usr/bin/lagrange, so to run from a terminal:

# lagrange
localuser:lagrange being added to access control list

...it runs as user 'lagrange'. It also works when I click on the icon.

I wonder if it is a GPU problem. I have an Intel GPU.

Hmmm, is it a Qt-based app? You could try remove the Qt and GDK scaling from /usr/bin/lagrange.bin:

#!/bin/sh
export $(dbus-launch) #if app needs to access dbus.
export XDG_DATA_DIRS=/mnt/wkg/flatpak/exports/share:/home/lagrange/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/share:/usr/local/share #need to fool flatpak.
flatpak run --env=GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.2 --env=QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.2 --filesystem=host --socket=system-bus --socket=cups --socket=ssh-auth --socket=session-bus fi.skyjake.Lagrange
kill $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Just updated from Easy 5.2.2 to Easy 5.3 using the update, I'm not using encryption, so all went well for the update. The only issue relates to the cut down version of JWMDesk, which is currently in EasyOS doesn't allow to manage a second launcher tray (tray2) which is hidable, either standard or hybrid hiding.

I normally use aJWM Desktop with a second tray which i set to use hybrid hiding. The new EasyJWM requires this to be set up by manually editing the config files.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

A totally raw install on my problematic ATI ASUS Touchscreen system and it installed and started correctly (YEAH) at last, except for sound (BLAST). After rebooting and trying things from the menu and other commands without effect I had a look at the various log files and others which seemed to say it was working. I eventually shut it down to have a think about it and when I just started it up again (WOOHOO) sound now worked. It was Ok on another powerdown/start too so something only gets setup on a poweroff, not just a reboot. ?Maybe worth a warning note somewhere for others with the same ocurrance.

I shall look at this thread later on today and see what else needs adjusting before I proceed, add the devx, etc. and try a few things as a few flatpak and other apps I use are available, although some others are not there and I may need to build if my older easyos builds won't run under Kirkstone. I think I shall have a look at how hard it is and what else needs to be pre-installed to add the flatpak-builder.

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

BarryK wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:33 am

I tested Flapi, both in a new 5.3 in a flash stick, and an update from 5.2.3, and it worked.

The code in /usr/local/flatpak/flatpak does what you had to do manually

Maybe there was a problem because I tried customization before installing an already listed flatpak.
Anyway, it's settled.

BarryK wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:52 am

It works for me. Your 'lagrange' file looks ok, though I went through the process of entering the values into the GUI.

The script to run it is created at /usr/bin/lagrange, so to run from a terminal:

# lagrange
localuser:lagrange being added to access control list

...it runs as user 'lagrange'. It also works when I click on the icon.

I wonder if it is a GPU problem. I have an Intel GPU.

Hmmm, is it a Qt-based app? You could try remove the Qt and GDK scaling from /usr/bin/lagrange.bin

It does not change anything

I've tested on MX Linux. It's the same error. So it's related to my machine (and its NVIDIA Card)
It was just a test. No need to look for a solution.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Caramel wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 7:18 am
BarryK wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:33 am

The code in /usr/local/flatpak/flatpak does what you had to do manually

Maybe there was a problem because I tried customization before installing an already listed flatpak.
Anyway, it's settled.

Yes, that's it. Looking at /usr/local/flatpak/flatpak script, it goes to the customize script before registering with flathub.

YoYsY

Post by YoYsY »

I am a total newb. After spending way too much time researching on Distrowatch and other sites, I picked this release of this distro for my first go at a Linux environment. Today I was able to install EasyOS 5.3 to a USB stick and setup my Windows 11 laptop to boot from it when it is plugged in. I will start playing around with EasyOS to see what I can do. Reading a lot of info here and on Barry's blog. I think this is really neat, thx for all the hard work, it is appreciated!

A total newb running EasyOS 5.3 booted from USB thumb drive 8-)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:53 am

A totally raw install on my problematic ATI ASUS Touchscreen system and it installed and started correctly (YEAH) at last, except for sound (BLAST). After rebooting and trying things from the menu and other commands without effect I had a look at the various log files and others which seemed to say it was working. I eventually shut it down to have a think about it and when I just started it up again (WOOHOO) sound now worked. It was Ok on another powerdown/start too so something only gets setup on a poweroff, not just a reboot. ?Maybe worth a warning note somewhere for others with the same ocurrance.

I shall look at this thread later on today and see what else needs adjusting before I proceed, add the devx, etc. and try a few things as a few flatpak and other apps I use are available, although some others are not there and I may need to build if my older easyos builds won't run under Kirkstone. I think I shall have a look at how hard it is and what else needs to be pre-installed to add the flatpak-builder.

At first bootup, when MSCW, the Multiple Sound Card Wizard, pops up, did you select the appropriate interface, then click the "Test Sound" button?
This sets the levels to 100% for both ALSA and pulseaudio, and plays test sounds. If you skip testing the sound, it might be muted or levels wrong.

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:22 pm

At first bootup, when MSCW, the Multiple Sound Card Wizard, pops up, did you select the appropriate interface, then click the "Test Sound" button?
This sets the levels to 100% for both ALSA and pulseaudio, and plays test sounds. If you skip testing the sound, it might be muted or levels wrong.

?The MSCW didn't pop up, so that's the problem. I shall start again later today and see if it repeats. I'm using a WD ssd via a usb interface. I'll also try an ordinary memory stick and report back this evening AEST.

EDIT1: yes, at least for the WD sdd drive, MSCW is not appearing after the initial boot and a reboot(powered on) isn't fixing it either. I must shutdown and poweroff (power switch), then after starting from powerup, and starting it up via the easyos's menu, manually start mscw and set the card to use before sound will work.
EDIT2: ditto for a normal memory stick, no sound until after i've shutdown, power off and start again.

But at least i've now a working easyos that's up to date, i'll add the devx and see how it goes with things tonight. If time allows i'll connect my digital phone and see if I can connect externally and pull down a few things to play with tomorrow, then report back.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

scsijon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:45 pm

?The MSCW didn't pop up, so that's the problem. I shall start again later today and see if it repeats. I'm using a WD ssd via a usb interface. I'll also try an ordinary memory stick and report back this evening AEST.

EDIT1: yes, at least for the WD sdd drive, MSCW is not appearing after the initial boot and a reboot(powered on) isn't fixing it either. I must shutdown and poweroff (power switch), then after starting from powerup, and starting it up via the easyos's menu, manually start mscw and set the card to use before sound will work.
EDIT2: ditto for a normal memory stick, no sound until after i've shutdown, power off and start again.

But at least i've now a working easyos that's up to date, i'll add the devx and see how it goes with things tonight. If time allows i'll connect my digital phone and see if I can connect externally and pull down a few things to play with tomorrow, then report back.

But mscw has to popup at first bootup. I've never had a case where it doesn't. In the script /usr/sbin/delayedrun:

#quick setup window for country and language and X resolution...
     quicksetup

#150425 want to run welcome1stboot with locale chosen in quicksetup... 150429 fix.
     NEWLANG="`grep '^LANG=' /etc/profile | tr -d "'" | tr -d '"' | cut -f 2 -d '='`"
     xNEWLANG=${NEWLANG:0:2} #ex: de
     xLANG=${LANG:0:2}
     if [ "$xNEWLANG" != "$xLANG" -a "$xNEWLANG" != "en" ];then
      [ -f /usr/share/locale/${xNEWLANG}/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo ] && preLANG="$xNEWLANG"
     fi

report-fw-fail #scans dmesg looking for firmware failed to load.

if [ ! -s /var/local/mscw/selected ];then #20220626 see also pupautodetect-run
      mscw
     fi

If you got the quicksetup window, then mscw will follow.

scsijon

Post by scsijon »

BarryK wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:44 am
scsijon wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:45 pm

But mscw has to popup at first bootup. I've never had a case where it doesn't. In the script /usr/sbin/delayedrun:

#quick setup window for country and language and X resolution...
     quicksetup

#150425 want to run welcome1stboot with locale chosen in quicksetup... 150429 fix.
     NEWLANG="`grep '^LANG=' /etc/profile | tr -d "'" | tr -d '"' | cut -f 2 -d '='`"
     xNEWLANG=${NEWLANG:0:2} #ex: de
     xLANG=${LANG:0:2}
     if [ "$xNEWLANG" != "$xLANG" -a "$xNEWLANG" != "en" ];then
      [ -f /usr/share/locale/${xNEWLANG}/LC_MESSAGES/welcome1stboot.mo ] && preLANG="$xNEWLANG"
     fi

report-fw-fail #scans dmesg looking for firmware failed to load.

if [ ! -s /var/local/mscw/selected ];then #20220626 see also pupautodetect-run
      mscw
     fi

If you got the quicksetup window, then mscw will follow.

Nope, when quicksetup is closed it starts the Helpserver "Easy operating System" local webpage and nothing moree happens. If i manually start mscw it shows two settings ticked, nothing works for sound until I do a first savesession and powerdown. Then on boot I have to manually start MSCW, set only one sound card ticked before anything seems to work, still nothing in sounds until I have again done a savesession, shutdown and cold boot when this time everything works.

szept

Re: Chrome Browser - Kirkstone-series

Post by szept »

Xyz2022 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:02 pm

The Chrome browser is now included in the main download. Whereas Firefox is optional.
Google is a Mighty force of 21st Century. In comparison, the EASY OS is an independent OS outside the typical Operating Systems. By making Chrome browser Mandatory is equivalent to end of independence. Any Google product should be an Optional Download.

I agree that Google is not from the bright side of the force. I'm not sure Firefox is not somewhere in-between light and the dark, but morally I prefer Firefox from those 2. HOWEVER! There's Vivaldi browser and as much as I could screen them I thnik they're the good guys as well as their browser is fast and has a looooooot of nice features to customize.

Cheers :)

Running live-USB EasyOS-64_5.6.3

...and taxes are theft! -.-
https://321my.wordpress.com/pw/

BeNeu

Post by BeNeu »

Hello,
i have a problem with the AppImage Installer. When i try to install an AppImage like Audacity, Heimer or any other i become the message "An Internet connection is required to download an AppImage"! But i have a working Connection, i am online! What could be the problem?
Greetings from Austria

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BeNeu wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:01 pm

Hello,
i have a problem with the AppImage Installer. When i try to install an AppImage like Audacity, Heimer or any other i become the message "An Internet connection is required to download an AppImage"! But i have a working Connection, i am online! What could be the problem?
Greetings from Austria

Ah, I know the cause of your problem. Open /usr/local/appimage/appimage script in geany text editor and comment-out these lines starting at line 391, like this:

#need internet connection...
#if [ ! -s /tmp/pup_event_backend/network_ ];then
# M5="$(gettext 'An Internet connection is required to download an AppImage.')"
# popup "terminate=ok background=#ff8080 level=top process=wait|<big>${M5}</big>"
# exec appi
#fi

There was another report recently that the file /tmp/pup_event_backend/network_ was empty, even though they did have an Internet connection.

I have already fixed this in the Flatpak Installer, see previous post, it now uses "ping" to test for an Internet connection.
I will do the same for the AppImage Installer, but you can do the quick fix as above.

EDIT:
This is how I have fixed it:

#need internet connection... 20230517 fix
ping -4 -c 1 -w 5 google.com > /dev/null 2>&1
if [ $? -ne 0 ];then
 M5="$(gettext 'An Internet connection is required to download an AppImage.')"
 popup "terminate=ok background=#ff8080 level=top process=wait|<big>${M5}</big>"
 exec appi
fi
BarryK

Re: Chrome Browser - Kirkstone-series

Post by BarryK »

szept wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:31 am
Xyz2022 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 4:02 pm

Google is a Mighty force of 21st Century. In comparison, the EASY OS is an independent OS outside the typical Operating Systems. By making Chrome browser Mandatory is equivalent to end of independence. Any Google product should be an Optional Download.

I agree that Google is not from the bright side of the force. I'm not sure Firefox is not somewhere in-between light and the dark, but morally I prefer Firefox from those 2. HOWEVER! There's Vivaldi browser and as much as I could screen them I thnik they're the good guys as well as their browser is fast and has a looooooot of nice features to customize.

Cheers :)

I compile chromium from source, in OpenEmbedded, so I could investigate applying the Ungoogle-Chromium patches.
That is something that has been in the back of my mind for awhile. If there are lots of EasyOS users who want this, I will check it out.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

YoYsY wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 2:12 pm

I am a total newb. After spending way too much time researching on Distrowatch and other sites, I picked this release of this distro for my first go at a Linux environment. Today I was able to install EasyOS 5.3 to a USB stick and setup my Windows 11 laptop to boot from it when it is plugged in. I will start playing around with EasyOS to see what I can do. Reading a lot of info here and on Barry's blog. I think this is really neat, thx for all the hard work, it is appreciated!

That's great, let us know if you encounter any difficulty.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@BarryK

eric hameleers, aka alien bob might be a source for some ungoogled patches, (his compile works good for me in Easy)

https://alien.slackbook.org/blog/how-to ... xperience/

szept

Post by szept »

Oh nooooooooooooo!

Yesterday I did an auto-update from 5.2.3 to 5.3, I admit I was browsing the internet with Vivaldi and in the meantime I moved and deleted few of my documents. I was wondering if that could corrupt the update process, but end messages said everything was fine. I shutdown the PC. Now my password doesn't work. I assume there's no help, isn't it?

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

szept wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:07 am

Oh nooooooooooooo!

Yesterday I did an auto-update from 5.2.3 to 5.3, I admit I was browsing the internet with Vivaldi and in the meantime I moved and deleted few of my documents. I was wondering if that could corrupt the update process, but end messages said everything was fine. I shutdown the PC. Now my password doesn't work. I assume there's no help, isn't it?

Did you use the new 'easy-udate' script?

As explained in the release announcement:

https://bkhome.org/news/202305/easyos-k ... eased.html

The folder encryption in 5.3 is fscrypt v2, whereas Easy versions prior to 5.3 use v1.

You should be able to recover. Mount the working-partition of Easy, look in 'releases' folder, delete 'easy-5.3'
There should be a 'easy-5.2.3', copy out 'vmlinuz', 'initrd', replace those at /mnt/<partition>/easyos
In sfs/easyos/oe/kirkstone folder you will find 'easy_5.2.3_amd64.sfs' -- copy that out to alongside 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' and rename it to just 'easy.sfs' replacing the previous one.

You can also get those three files just by clicking on 'easy-5.2.3-amd64.img' file.

Then boot Easy and you should be back on fcrypt v1.

szept

Post by szept »

BarryK wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:49 am

Did you use the new 'easy-udate' script? As explained in the release announcement.

Nah... :roll:
I haven't been reading the realse notes, but now, this will most likely change.

You should be able to recover. Mount the working-partition of Easy, look in 'releases' folder, delete 'easy-5.3'
There should be a 'easy-5.2.3', copy out 'vmlinuz', 'initrd', replace those at /mnt/<partition>/easyos
In sfs/easyos/oe/kirkstone folder you will find 'easy_5.2.3_amd64.sfs' -- copy that out to alongside 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' and rename it to just 'easy.sfs' replacing the previous one.

You can also get those three files just by clicking on 'easy-5.2.3-amd64.img' file.

Then boot Easy and you should be back on fcrypt v1.

My releases folder looks like this.
Hence I assume you meant the main folder.
Is that correct?
I'm not sure did I get it right...
Shall I delete easy-5.3-amd64.img from the main folder and replace it with easy-5.2.3.img from the website?
Where do I get vmlinuz and initrd from again? If I got it right, vmlinuz and initrd are different according to seasy version, correct? Thus I need to get them for 5.2.3, right?
Once easy-5.3-amd64.img as well as vmlinuz and initrd for 5.3 are replaced with their counterparts for 5.2.3 version I need to copy easy_5.2.3_amd64.sfs from /media/oby/easy2/easyos/sfs/easyos/oe/kirkstone/
to the main folder and rename to easy.sfs to replace the existing easy.sfs which I assume is for version 5.3.
Would that be all?

Thanks!
Damian

P.S.
What is the /media/oby/easy2/easyos/sfs/easyos/oe/kirkstone/ folder? Are all my old versions stored there? Can I clear this folder (as well as dunfell and pyro) if I'm running out of space?

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

szept wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:24 am

Where do I get vmlinuz and initrd from again?

The files vmlinuz and initrd from Easy 5.2.3 are in /mnt/wkg/releases /easy-5.2.3. You have to copy them in /mnt/wkg

I think that instuctions of BarryK (delete folder easy-5.3, copy the right vmlinuz and initrd in /mnt/wkg, reboot) should be sufficient.

PS: for you /mnt/wkg seems to be /media/oby/easy2/easyos

szept

Post by szept »

Caramel wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:56 pm

The files vmlinuz and initrd from Easy 5.2.3 are in /mnt/wkg/releases /easy-5.2.3. You have to copy them in /mnt/wkg

I think that instuctions of BarryK (delete folder easy-5.3, copy the right vmlinuz and initrd in /mnt/wkg, reboot) should be sufficient.

PS: for you /mnt/wkg seems to be /media/oby/easy2/easyos

Now I'm on Lubuntu, not Antix like on previous screenshots - not to confuse too much.
As I wrote before, my releases folder contains some files, but their names looks like they're encrypted or something - I don't know which one is easy-5.2.3 I'm affraid.

And my main folder looks like this.

Caramel

Post by Caramel »

This is the initrd and vmlinuz of my installation of Easy 5.2.3

https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/f6739c1 ... ef4936ace5

md5sums:
488ae059d72856baff300f56a2e2bff7 initrd
01c3499b466a459f41ef23a877d8eea7 vmlinuz

(Edit : they are the same as those of easy-5.23.easy-5.2.3-amd64.img)

I don't understand. There no real 'easy.sfs' in my installations, only symbolic links

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Yes, you need 'easy-5.2.3-amd64.img'
Open it up. In another running EasyOS, this is simple, just click on it, and copy out 'vmlinuz', 'initrd' and 'easy.sfs' into the 'easyos' folder of the one you want to fix.

A distro like Ubuntu etc do have utilities for opening up a drive .img file, can't recall the names.
But you can do it manually, scroll down this page:

https://easyos.org/user/how-to-update-easyos.html

Don't worry about all those encrypted folders. If you had booted another EasyOS, using the same password, then they would all appear as they should. But it doesn't matter whether they are accessible or not, just copy across those three files, run 'sync' in a terminal then unmount the partition (I don't trust Ubuntu to automatically sync before it unmounts), and reboot.

...everything is easier if running EasyOS, or at least a pup.

You should then be back at version 5.2.3, then install the correct 'easy-update' script, then update.

EDIT:
Thinking about it a bit more. It should be enough to copy just the two files 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' into the easyos folder, don't bother with 'easy.sfs'
Then sync, unmount, reboot, and bootup with the usual password and I think you will be back at 5.2.3

Return to “EasyOS”