Error booting from USB flash drive - Fossapup64 [SOLVED]

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Jasper

Re: Error booting from USB flash drive - Fossapup64 [SOLVED]

Post by Jasper »

@venn

Hi there, sorry I didn't realise that there were more messages in this topic added.

Yes, I did give up attempting to install the OS directly onto a USB flash drive and had a spare DVDRW disc lying around which I thought I would attempt to use. This did allow me to create a Pupsave file which I can now boot directly into and use. There are some minor issues like not having the language settings stick and I have to just change this each time.

I am still unsure as to by hibernation was enabled as when I do exit Windows it did power down and I do not have a screensaver enabled. @williams2 Yes, my PC Bios setting did have Fast Boot setting enabled.

However, the command provided did make a difference to me, it worked.

Glad you got it working in the end too!!

venn

Post by venn »

No need to apologize, as I somewhat thought I wouldn’t get a response at all because I finally figured out that getting a reply notification is not the default setting in this forum and looked like you marked this thread Solved about a week before I came upon it - so I figured you weren’t checking back on it. It took me about a month on this forum to finally notice there’s a check box at the bottom of a reply window, where you get the option of notifications of new posts on your thread.

Sorry to hear about the customizations not sticking, which I do find odd. I’m too new to all this to offer an answer, so can only wish you good luck with it. Part of me wonders if it has to do with it booting from the optical drive, but then find it hard to believe a mere switch out of the boot medium would be the answer. Ah well, all I can do is leave you with a hardy thanks for the confirmation Jasper. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@venn :-

With regard to the "hibernate" thing:-

No disrespect to Jasper, but his statement that hibernate wasn't used was irrelevant. The simple existence of the hiberfil.sys file proved that to be a false statement.

Haven't used Windoze for many years, but I still keep up with what cock-ups M$ are currently making (!!) - :D - and you pick up a lot of info from such articles. I came across a link to a thread on one of the Windows forums where they were discussing this very point.

As I understand it, you will never see old, "stale" hiberfil.sys files littered around your Windows partition. This file is only created when the hibernate option is selected (or automatically at shutdown, if FastBoot is active in the BIOS). At boot, the contents of this file are copied back into RAM and the hiberfil.sys file is auto-deleted.

Thus, the mere fact of hiberfil.sys existing shows that hibernation was indeed active at the time the screenshot was taken. @one was quite correct about that.....and hibernation WILL "lock" the disk, and prevent writes from being made.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Beginners Help”