Language translation contributions invited

Moderator: BarryK

Maybe

Re: Language translation contributions invited

Post by Maybe »

Hello!
Small update of Russian translation

I have a question. Is it possible to translate the Redshift utility? If yes, how to do it?

Attachments
newtranslations-ru-20230812.tar.gz
(5.34 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
newtranslations-ru-20230802.tar.gz
(17.05 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Maybe wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:48 pm

Hello!
Small update of Russian translation

I have a question. Is it possible to translate the Redshift utility? If yes, how to do it?

@Maybe
Thanks for the translations!

I looked at the redshift 1.11 source code. Yes, it does have 'redshift.pot'
I have attached it, with a false ".gz" appended.
Remove the ".gz" and place it in /usr/share/doc/nls/redshift

I will fix the install of redshift so that it also installs the .pot file.

Attachments
redshift.pot.gz
Has false .gz
(19.07 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
icake

Chinese Language pets for EasyOS kirkstone 5.4.8

Post by icake »

icake wrote: ↑Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:56 pm
yong Chinese input platform: yong64_2.5.0-en-zh-bionic-21.2.7.pet (10 mb)

@icake from BarryK:
Thanks for providing those PETs!
I have downloaded them, except the above PET does not exist.

Thanks BarryK for the information. The correct name of the pet with the yong input platform is: yong3264_20201122-en-zh-bionic-21.2.7.pet (10 mb)

I have also replaced the original posting with the right name.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Chinese language support updates, from icake:

viewtopic.php?p=124710#p124710

See also blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202407/chinese- ... -pets.html

BarryK

Chinese translation contributions invited

Post by BarryK »

EasyOS 6.3 has Chinese language support builtin. There is a font for rendering text and input methods (pinyin and Bopomofo), using ibus.

The blog announcement for 6.3:
https://bkhome.org/news/202409/easyos-s ... eased.html

Everything is builtin, no extra packages need to be installed.

Lots of apps have zh translation; however, only a few scripts are translated. I used Momanager (see the "Utility" menu category) to translate a few scripts; however, automatic translation is not perfect. MoManager offers manual fixing after the automatic translation, but I was unable to do that.

I welcome help. Someone to bootup 6.3 and run MoManager. It is quite easy to use, and the resultant .mo files can be posted here or emailed to me for inclusion in EasyOS next release.

Choose zh_CN, not one of the other zh variants. The reason is, apparently most people in Hongkong and Taiwan can read simplified Chinese. However, the reverse is not the case; apparently people in China have difficulty with reading traditional Chinese.

EasyOS has /usr/share/locale/zh as a symlink to /usr/share/locale/zh_CN, as the zh is intended to be the generic fallback if there is no .mo file for one of the other zh variants.

MoManager in EasyOS is greatly enhanced compared with the versions in Puppy Linux. See a blog post:

https://bkhome.org/news/202302/the-next ... nager.html

Also here:

https://easyos.org/dev/translate-easyos ... guage.html

@icake has a done a lot of work contributing pet packages for the puppy derivatives. But in this case no extra packages should be needed. Unless I have left out something, due being new at using an input method (ibus).

bulatsib

Post by bulatsib »

Hi Barry,

I've made some translation to Russian for menu items, fixing some wrong translations etc.

I've started this translation about two weeks ago on EasyOS 6.2 running in VirtualBox on my work laptop during my spare time at office.
But you've just released version 6.3 with added Chinese translation...

So... I hope the result possibly be somehow useful for you, maybe it is possible to get translated strings from my translation and put them in current files...

Anyway, archive is attached.

BTW, the result tar.gz file was larger that limit of attachments there, so had to re-compress it with xz.

Attachments
newtranslations-ru-20240907.tar.xz
(377.98 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

bulatsib wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:03 pm

I've made some translation to Russian for menu items, fixing some wrong translations etc.

Thanks for that.
I will do a quick review and if it all looks good it will be in the next release of Easy.

I see that you are a new member and this is your first post -- welcome to the forum!

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

There was a problem with geany text editor in momanager, fixed:

https://bkhome.org/news/202409/geany-my ... viour.html

MoManager in EasyOS features automatic translation. It uses Google or Bing to fill in the fields in the .po file, and all the user has to do is check it in geany, edit any translations that are wrong, save, then the .mo gets generated.

For quicksetup script, somehow the Simplified Chinese automatic translation created an "invalid UTF-8 sequence", on line 123 of the .po file, which causes geany to not display the file as UTF-8. Which is weird. Geany gives no error message either, I discovered the UTF-8 fault when ran the 'msgfmt' utility that converts .po to .mo and it reported the invalid sequence.
Just removing the invalid sequence on line 123 and geany displays Chinese characters correctly. As reported to my blog, weird.

The fix in momanager is to use the 'iconv' utility which has the ability to discover and remove any invalid UTF-8 sequences.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

BarryK wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:23 pm

There was a problem with geany text editor in momanager, fixed:

https://bkhome.org/news/202409/geany-my ... viour.html

MoManager in EasyOS features automatic translation. It uses Google or Bing to fill in the fields in the .po file, and all the user has to do is check it in geany, edit any translations that are wrong, save, then the .mo gets generated.

For quicksetup script, somehow the Simplified Chinese automatic translation created an "invalid UTF-8 sequence", on line 123 of the .po file, which causes geany to not display the file as UTF-8. Which is weird. Geany gives no error message either, I discovered the UTF-8 fault when ran the 'msgfmt' utility that converts .po to .mo and it reported the invalid sequence.
Just removing the invalid sequence on line 123 and geany displays Chinese characters correctly. As reported to my blog, weird.

The fix in momanager is to use the 'iconv' utility which has the ability to discover and remove any invalid UTF-8 sequences.

EasyOS 6.3.1 released with MoManager fix, see:

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 41#p131141

Return to “EasyOS”