Running Puppy linux from DVD for classroom

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

boczniak767

Re: Running Puppy linux from DVD for classroom

Post by boczniak767 »

Thanks guys :thumbup: , I'll test the new remaster procedure and let you know...

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

boczniak767 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:19 pm
bigpup wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:09 pm

What exactly are the computers?

Ok, so I've used laptops: old Asus F3E (Intel Core2 duo CPU T5250 computer with 4Gb RAM), two new Dells (vostro 5471, vostro 15) and for testing also powerfull HP Z series desktop computer with 24 cores and 128Gb RAM.

In fact I've used linux on DVDs because I assumed that one DVD will work the same regardless of computer type and setup - after all stuff is loaded to RAM.

OH, If things were that easy! :roll:

Supporting hardware is mainly the job of the Linux kernel.
The newer the kernel the better support for the newer or newest hardware.

old Asus F3E (Intel Core2 duo CPU T5250 computer with 4Gb RAM)

This one will be supported by Linux kernel series 4, 5, and 6 and maybe even series 3 versions.
So about any Puppy version will support it that is using one of those kernels.

Dells (vostro 5471, vostro 15

That one a Linux kernel series 5 or 6 is needed.
Even the series 5 version may need to be the latest series 5 or one close to it.

HP Z

Probably best support in a Linux kernel 6 series.

So a general overall Puppy version that should work best in all of them.
Best to try one that is using a Linux kernel series 6 version.

So Bookworm Pup64 10.0.2 would be good to try on all of them.
It has a kernel series 6 version.
Plus it does have a lot of the new tweaks and overall improvements to Puppy Linux.

Fossapup64 9.5 is a very good Puppy version, but it is going on 3 years old, has a 5 series kernel, and does not have some of the improvements to how Puppy works.

There are several other Puppy or Puppy like versions on this forum that are using the Linux kernel series 6 version.
They would also be good to try.
Really you need to find the best fit for what you are doing.
Each version is slightly different in what they offer for features and provided programs.

Note:
I have a computer with Generation 9 intel i7 CPU, 4 year old high end Gaming motherboard, etc.........
About all Puppy versions using a Linux kernel series 3 or 4 versions will not run it.
Only ones with kernel 5 or 6 series work.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

wizard

Post by wizard »

@boczniak767

Try this for nicOS-Remaster-Classic method.

F96-CE_4
-boot system
-make custom changes
-reboot and create save file or folder

CAUTION: nicOS-Remaster-Classic WILL ALTER YOUR SAVE FILE/FOLDER.
MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SAVE FILE/FOLDER

-Menu>Utility>nicOS-Utility_Suite
-check: Remaster-Classic

classic1.png
classic1.png (26.27 KiB) Viewed 744 times

-click: OK

-check: Select to also make an ISO

classic2.png
classic2.png (23.62 KiB) Viewed 744 times

-Choose working area

wait

At the "edt/change" message, click: OK
A "PuppyRemaster" window will open containing: puppy_fossapup64_9.6.sfs
-using Rox, click and mount the original F96 ISO: F96-CE_4.iso
--copy all files, EXCEPT: puppy_fossapup64_9.6.sfs and boot.catalog to the PuppyRemaster directory
--click: Yes

The file: custom-puppy.iso, will be created in the PuppyRemaster directory

wizard

Last edited by wizard on Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, wizard, for the detailed 'recipe'. :thumbup:

boczniak767, just in case it wasn't mentioned, or mentioned and lost in the barrage of suggestions, and you didn't know: You can't make an accurate copy of a SaveFile or Folder while it's in use. To make a copy you either have to boot into a different Puppy, that Puppy using a different SaveFile/Folder or boot 'pfix=ram' which is a boot argument instructing Puppy to boot without using the SaveFile/Folder.

Your boot menu.lst/grub.cfg may already have a listing to boot pfix=ram. It may have the term "RAM Mode" in its title. If you don't, an easy way to boot 'pfix=ram' is, before rebooting, edit menu.lst kernel of grub.cfg linux line temporarily. That is, there will be a line beginning with either the word 'llinux' or kernel like this one using the linux argument.

linux /f96/vmlinuz psubdir=/f96 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

Change the 'fsck' argument temporarily to pfix=ram.

Boot up. Right-Click the SaveFile/Folder and from the pop-up window select Duplicate. Give the Duplicate a different ENDING, e.g. "...save-backup". When duplication is completed remember to change the boot argument back to fsck. [You may want to move the duplicate to some safe location, or at least not directly adjacent to the rest of your system files. I place mine in a folder I name 'protect'. If you don't when you boot-up Puppy will see more than one SaveFile/Folder and interrupt booting until you choose which Save to use].

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wizard wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:55 pm

@amethyst
@boczniak767

Just tested nicOS-Remaster-Classic on F96-CE_4 and appears to retain the settings and work well. Compared to the standard remaster method outlined above, I'd judge it a little simpler. You do lose the feature of having all changes contained in the ydrv. Also, the resulting image was 124mb larger.

I'll document the procedure and post today.

Thanks
wizard

Strange, the contents of the ydrv should be included in the new base sfs with the classic script (it has to be loaded at bootup of course). The alternative method does not include the contents of the additional drives. The size may be larger because gzip compression is used by default for quicker operation.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@amethyst

You do lose the feature of having all changes contained in the ydrv

Probably expressed that poorly. The first method posted above that uses the standard remaster plus save2SFS keeps all of the changes separate in the ydrv. The method using Remaster-Classic adds the changes into puppy-fossapup64_9.6.sfs

Thanks
wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

@boczniak767

If you do decide to use F96-CE_4, you may be interested in the extended Help files.

These supplemental help files are more detailed and cover a broader range of topics than those included in the distribution ISO. They will be of particular use to casual users or those new to Puppy Linux.

Download the Help_F96.pet file from the link below, then click to install. You'll find the files in Menu>Setup>Help_F96.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizard ... t/download

wizard

Last edited by wizard on Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ wizard

Using Firefox Version 117.0 (32-bit) clicked on:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizard ... t/download

And got:

Page not found.png
Page not found.png (74.66 KiB) Viewed 649 times

Is it me?

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am seeing the same thing!

wizard

Post by wizard »

@Chelsea80

Thanks, I have corrected the link above.

wizard's rule #8 "A web link will always die" :lol:

wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Chelsea80 / @rockedge :-

Hm. Strange. Using Firefox 115.2.1 esr in a highly-customized/modified Tahrpup64, I've just downloaded those help files with no issue.....

Odd. Kinda begs the question; what IS going on for some of us?

Mike. Image

(Ah. Just seen your post, Wiz.... Probably explains it!)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ wizard

Yep, downloaded OK now -

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

boczniak767

Post by boczniak767 »

Hi again, finally I've opportunity to try the new method posted by @wizard

Firstly, F96-CE_4 is indeed quite current and upgrading Firefox is automatic.

I've tried remastering using the latest method posted by @wizard . On one of the machines on which it will be eventually used (Dell, 8Gb RAM, Intel core2duo @2,93 GHz).
It's turned out that during first reboot the system complained about "not suitable volume to create save folder" or something similar.
Maybe computers have NTFS partitions only? I don't know.
Anyways, during next try I've returned to @bigpup post saying that cutomizations can be burned directly to DVD.
And that was really good shot - my settings has been saved, both regional/language and updated Firefox with altered defaults.
I've tested the DVD on five computers in the classroom and also on my Asus F3E and Lenovo thinkpad X61 (4 Gb RAM, Intel core2duo L7500 @1,6 GHz) - so I'm pretty sure it will work properly.

I've abandoned "ejest-restart.sh" as I've seen that when rebooting DVD second time (after save) user is asked about saving changes.
When one check "NO" the DVD is ejected and after clicking "Enter" tray closes and after next "Enter" system halts.
Of course, I'd have to tell students loudly that they are asked not to save changes on shutdown - I'll show them and keep repeating...
After all using the mentioned script also triggered prompt if save settings have to be saved.

So basically I wanted system with minimal changes, as I can see that each thing added extends booting time.
Also great thanks to @Clarity , I don't have time to test your method right now but I'll remember about such possibility.
Thanks to all of you :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edit: Oh, one more question - does making copies of my "master" DVD with, say k3b, is enough to make them usable? Or I've to look for some "clone" program?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Edit: Oh, one more question - does making copies of my "master" DVD with, say k3b, is enough to make them usable? Or I've to look for some "clone" program?

I assume you are talking about making a new DVD that is a copy of the master one.

It should work OK.
Only way to know for sure is to try it.

Puppy has the Pburn program that should be able to do it.

One thing about saving to the CD/DVD.
It can run out of space to store any more stuff.
With a DVD that will take some time if you add stuff to the save.

So just use some other location other than the save to put stuff.
Like pictures, downloaded files, documents, etc........ that do not need to be on the CD/DVD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Putting a save on a writable drive partition of say a USB stick, SD card, HDD, etc.....
The save that you choose to put on a writable partition can be of two types. A file or a folder.
Format of the location determines type that can be used.

A save file can be written to any format.

A save folder can only get written to a Linux format location. (ext 3 or 4 format is best for Puppy Linux)

system complained about "not suitable volume to create save folder" or something similar.

If partition was ntfs format, that message is telling you that a save folder cannot be placed on it.
Could have done a save file.

Forum Global Moderator

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Might be better to save minimal customisations (keyboard, timezone, etc etc) to an sfs (via nicos suite) and customise it into the iso and burning closed dvd.

Then forget about any session saving.

boczniak767

Post by boczniak767 »

@bigpup , you are right I mean making copies using master DVD.

greengeek wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:16 am

Might be better to save minimal customisations (keyboard, timezone, etc etc) to an sfs (via nicos suite) and customise it into the iso and burning closed dvd.

Then forget about any session saving.

It is worth trying. However I have some bad experiences with this software, so if the aim has been already meet...
I don't plan to save anything more on the DVD. I'll ask students to save their stuff on USB drives.
Of course possibility of next saves to DVD is not good for me, but after first class I think students are manageable.

How could I write an ISO to DVD and close it? I can't recall such option in k3b or brasero.
Also, is it possible to make copy of master DVD and close them? Yeah, I know I have to try ;) , and I'll do it.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Burn the CD/DVD using Pburn program in Puppy.

It will give you the option to keep the CD/DVD open or close it, when doing the ISO image burn.

I am sure other burning programs offer it, but it may be under the setup settings for doing the burn.
Settings you make before actually doing the burn.

Burning a copy of a CD/DVD is most likely going to make it exactly like the original.
So closed or open depends on what the original was.

Forum Global Moderator

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I agree with @bigpup and suggest PBURN as it is built-in to all PUPs and DOGs while many/most members of this forum know it well.

And either way for the use you intend, I NEVER "Close" a DVD-RW (re-writable media) as you will NEVER be able to reuse or rewrite the DVD ever again ... in my experiences.

A 'Open' bootable DVD has never been a security concern and never been destroyed in use. Can it be done, yes...has it ever happened in my associations with business or classroom environments in my lifetime? NO!

Enjoy.

boczniak767

Post by boczniak767 »

bigpup wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:54 pm

Burn the CD/DVD using Pburn program in Puppy.

It will give you the option to keep the CD/DVD open or close it, when doing the ISO image burn.

Burning a copy of a CD/DVD is most likely going to make it exactly like the original.
So closed or open depends on what the original was.

In fact I've tried to use Pburn but It failed to write remastered iso (it just didn't even start writing). And I've don't understand opening/closing of .iso - I've assumed the iso CD/DVD is always closed.

Eventually I succeeded to make a copies using k3b.
I think I've tested copy quite thoroughly - using it three times for ca. 6 hours and it works brilliantly.

I've tested it in class today - works great.
I've collected the DVD from students after system start-up, just in case. But I've explained what is going on with this "save" prompt.

So I've one more question - can I close the customized DVD so there won't be possibility that somebody make a save?

Edit: I've to say, that this working puppy-linux DVD is a great development for me. Over years I've tried numerous "light" distributions without satisfying outcome. The best previous pick was "Antix-live" however I've to set keyboard to polish language myself before class. And there was always problem with slow work - if 30 second is needed for browser to start then you can't expect to make students to think about linux (as they could generalise) warmly. I've tried tiny-core but the customisation is rrrreallly complicated an it looks very antic...
So option to have customized DVD with exactly software I need for a given course is great 8-)

Return to “Beginners Help”