Fsearch and plocate configuration

Moderator: Forum moderators

MochiMoppel

Fsearch and plocate configuration

Post by MochiMoppel »

BW64 comes with Fsearch and plocate, two fantastic file finders. Fsearch with GUI, no CLI, and plocate with CLI, but no (dedicated) GUI. Both have their pros and cons and both work basically the same: They create a database of all files of all currently mounted devices (or better:partitions).
With one exception: They don't scan the current install partition, in my case sdb1.

IMHO this is wrong and should be fixed
For Fsearch I see 2 possible solutions:

1) In Preferences/Database/Include add
/initrd/mnt
This will allow /initrd/mnt/dev_save (essentially my sdb1) and /initrd/mnt/tmpfs (which includes /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/tmp, a folder which I find useful because that's where AppImages are mounted). What is not desirable is the inclusion of /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw, so /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw has to be added to the Exclude list.
With /initrd generally exluded this all looks inconsistent, but it works well because settings for subfolders override settings for parent folder.

2) The second solution is easier and involves only changes in the Exclude list:
Deactivate /initrd
In the "Exclude files:" entry box add
pup_*
This will exclude folders /initrd//pup_* and also /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw but shield any other stuff in /initrd from exclusion. Of course it would also exclude any other files or folders that start with 'pup_', e.g. folder /usr/local/pup_event or file /etc/profile.d/pup_gtk. Not ideal but maybe acceptable as a personal configuration. Less collateral damage would be possible with something more precise like
pup_[a-z];pup_r[ow]*

As for plocate things are a bit more complicated because plocate keeps no white list and does't even allow wild cards, but it's possible. If there is an interest in plocate I may explain later, but for now let's concentrate on Fsearch.

MochiMoppel

Re: Fsearch and plocate configuration

Post by MochiMoppel »

Fsearch does not find all audio files in BW64 when using the "Audio" filter. It finds 26 files .... and misses 35 because it is not configured to find .oga files. Such files are located in the directory /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo and are supported by e.g DeadBeef and MMview.

[Edit]
Oh, there is so much more to configure. Have looked only to the Filters for Audio, Pictures and Archives. They can be changed in Menu
Edit > Preferences > Search > Filters and need to be puppyfied, i.e. they should at least cover extensions that are actually used in BW64
By default "Match case" is activated , which explains why all extensions are listed in lower- and upppercase. I don't really like this and have deactivated this option and list my customized extensions only in lower case

Archives
Original:7z;ace;arj;bz2;cab;gz;gzip;jar;r00;r01;r02;r03;r04;r05;r06;r07;r08;r09;r10;r11;r12;r13;r14;r15;r16;r17;r18;r19;r20;r21;r22;r23;r24;r25;r26;r27;r28;r29;rar;tar;tgz;z;zip;7Z;ACE;ARJ;BZ2;CAB;GZ;GZIP;JAR;R00;R01;R02;R03;R04;R05;R06;R07;R08;R09;R10;R11;R12;R13;R14;R15;R16;R17;R18;R19;R20;R21;R22;R23;R24;R25;R26;R27;R28;R29;RAR;TAR;TGZ;Z;ZIP
Customized:7z;ace;arj;bz2;cab;cbr;cbt;cbz;deb;gz;gzip;jar;pet;rar;rpm;tar;tgz;txz;tzst;xz;z;zip;zst

Pictures
Original:ani;bmp;gif;ico;jpe;jpeg;jpg;pcx;png;psd;tga;tif;tiff;webp;wmf;ANI;BMP;GIF;ICO;JPE;JPEG;JPG;PCX;PNG;PSD;TGA;TIF;TIFF;WEBP;WMF
Customized:ani;bmp;dng;gif;ico;jpe;jpeg;jpg;pcx;pbm;pgm;ppm;pnm;png;psd;qtif;tga;tif;tiff;svg;svgz;wbmp;webp;wmf;xbm;xpm

Above added extensions are used by me or are supported by MMview or (in case of archives) by petget. They are not all part of a OOTB BW64 but can be encountered in real life. I'm sure there are more.

Return to “BookwormPup”