New 32 Bit Puppys for Low RAM

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

New 32 Bit Puppys for Low RAM

Post by mikeslr »

Does anyone have personal knowledge of the RAM demands of recent 32-bit Puppys such as FocalPup32 or S15Pup 32-bit or the 32-bit VanillaDpup?

There's still a need for 32bit operating systems for 'old' computers, many of which are 'RAM-Challenged'. That need frequently shows up on posts in the Beginners Help Section. The newest Puppys with low-RAM demands I have personal knowledge of are dpup-Stretch and Bursterpup, both of which could reach desktop actually only reducing available RAM by about 68 Mbs (that is not including recoverable cache and buffers per Pupsys-Info's report).

Both those Puppys are now kind of 'long in the tooth'. I'd like to be able to recommend newer Puppys to newbies such as Blivon who is trying to put together an OS for his father. The computer ran Vista, has 1 Gb of RAM and its primary use will be to watch Youtubes. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 14#p100514 To me, that suggests the need to have as much RAM as possible for a RAM-hogging Web-browser.

None of my surviving computers work well with 32-bit Systems; and asking people with actual experience is more efficient than setting up systems I won't use.

Last edited by mikeslr on Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williwaw

Re: RAM Demands of Relatively New 32 Bit Puppys ?

Post by williwaw »

To me, that suggests the need to have as much RAM as possible for a RAM-hogging Web-browser.

more RAM is always better, but what are the ways to optimize whats there?

is it the browser alone that hogs?

the excess javascript of the site visited can't help.

the streaming?

maybe a lighter browser, with a no script like addon, downloading instead of streaming.....
ie, probally not youtube

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

If watching youtube videos is the main issue, the best thing to do is to avoid visiting the youtube website at all because it's extremely resource hungry. Watch youtube video via the players in DuckDuckGo or Bing. With everything streaming concerned, chromium based browsers works best for me. With only 1GB RAM, you will need swap. A dedicated swap partition will probably be best. I recommend this little 64-bit system: https://archive.org/download/puppy_linu ... less-1.iso. I use it with gnome-mplayer for my video needs (package is in the second post on that page. Works well for streaming and browsing too. I use Brave portable browser.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

The VoidPup32 from @peebee should be able to run on those specs. Void Linux is extremely efficient and I had it run on an IBM T-42 laptop that has 1 G of RAM (officially), which htop will report 786 M of effective RAM.

Might be worth a try. The VoidPup's are well equipped, and are familiar in feel to most Puppy Linux desktops.

Download VoidPup32

Distro Collection ->puppy-linux-collection

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@mikeslr I have 32bit VanillaDPup frugal installed to a portable hard drive, so I've done a quick test. Using Firefox to view this forum and a news channel open on another tab, also had Clementine music player running, and task manager showed it was using around 750Mb RAM.

I had it plugged into a 64bit laptop, as I don't have a 32bit machine to try it on. Must say I've never had any problems with it though. I don't suppose I really need it as all my laptops are 64bit, but one day I was thinking "what if", and I had spare HD knocking about, so that's how it came about. I did try some other 32 bit Puppies at the time, but a lot of them are getting pretty old, and I found in some cases that installing additional software (and getting it to work properly) was becoming a major pain.

I don't use YouTube, I use either SMTube or Freetube, but bear in mind Freetube is 64bit only.

I can't help wondering how much less RAM we would all need if it wasn't for all the ads and trackers on a lot of sites.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikeslr
@rockedge

We are always fighting an uphill battle with this age of hardware, especially laptops, due to cpu, ram and video limitations.

The closest hardware I have to @Blivon computer (Celeron 430, 1gb ram) is a Compaq v5000 with a AMD Sempron Mobile 3300 and 1gb ram. The CPU's are both from 2008-2009 and their benchmark scores are within less than 5%. Both have a Passmark v9 score of about 450. This hardware level would be what I consider the minimum for streaming internet video.

Dpup Stretch 7.5 has been my goto, but decided to test it against Void32 per rockedges suggestion.

Tested:
CPU scaling set to Powsersave to control CPU temperature
2gb swap file

clean frugal installs to internal hdd:
-stretch-7.5-uefi-k4.9.149
-VoidPup32-22.02+0

Loaded Palemoon 29.4.4 sfs
--added: Ublock Origin
-Palemoon run maximized
-video = California Trains 1 Hour (Youtube), run in DuckDuckGo viewer @ 360p quality in window

Observed results:
-running terminal free command showed Void32 had approx 250mb more available ram during streaming.
-Dpup Stretch playback was not always smooth
-Dpup Stretch system had unacceptable lag for all mouse clicks during streaming
-Void32 had far less system lag during streaming and smooth playback

On the tested hardware, Void32 would be the clear choice.

wizard

Last edited by wizard on Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big pile of OLD computers

wiak

Post by wiak »

Whenever I want to stress-test RAM used I generally open my browser with a few Gmail login tabs. Each of these generally consume a couple of hundred MB of RAM. Yesterday, I checked and found logged-in Facebook and whatsapp web were similarly greedy. I'd therefore second the recommendation to avoid using YouTube site to watch videos, since no doubt RAM greedy.

BTW, if using recent Firefox, and perhaps not so recent, you can monitor the RAM tabs are using by going to about:processes

As for distro, if a Void32 variant works to reduce RAM used that would be nearest to ideal since Void Linux continues to support 32bits and provides very recent releases of apps and libs, and pretty good repos with excellent package manager.

A 'very' old computer may not work with newer browsers though because of limitations in its CPU

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wizard

Post by wizard »

Further test on low spec hardware.

Computer = Dell D400 laptop
CPU = 1.3ghz Pentium M, Passmark = 298
Ram = 1gb

Tested as above post except:
CPU scaling set to Ondemand
100mb swap file
240p quality

Observed results:
-Void32 system lag increased, but usable, during streaming and mostly smooth playback

wizard

mikeslr

Re: New 32 Bit Puppys for Low RAM -Check for Upgrades

Post by mikeslr »

peebee --the creator of S15Pup, VoidPup, UPup32 (Bionic, Focal, Jammy) builds-- announces upgrades on this thread, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... p=375#p375. Always double-check that you are downloading the newest version. As of Nov 11, 2023, links to the latest --including Voidpup32-- can be found here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 24#p103124

wizard

Re: New 32 Bit Puppys for Low RAM

Post by wizard »

JammyPup32 from @peebee viewtopic.php?t=5799 is a good choice for low ram (1gb) computers. In my same hardware test of internet video streaming it is better than older Puppies. It uses 20% less CPU and 100mb less ram than Bionicc32 and Dpup Stretch 7.5.

JammyPup32 is based on Ubuntu and is a long term support version. That plus easier access to more applications would make it a better choice than Void32, previously discussed.

See here for tested applications: viewtopic.php?t=9968

wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

See this topic for Friendly-Jammy32 based on @peebee JammyPup32
viewtopic.php?t=9972

wizard

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

On 2024-02-08 peebee published an updated remaster of BionicPup32. Link to ISO, https://sourceforge.net/projects/pb-gh- ... 2_release/. Per peebee, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 96#p111796, if you are currently running a frugal install of the the original version just replace the .sfs etc in the frugal install directory from the .iso to update.

mmmrr

Post by mmmrr »

amethyst wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:00 pm

If watching youtube videos is the main issue, the best thing to do is to avoid visiting the youtube website at all because it's extremely resource hungry. Watch youtube video via the players in DuckDuckGo or Bing. With everything streaming concerned, chromium based browsers works best for me. With only 1GB RAM, you will need swap. A dedicated swap partition will probably be best. I recommend this little 64-bit system: https://archive.org/download/puppy_linu ... less-1.iso. I use it with gnome-mplayer for my video needs (package is in the second post on that page. Works well for streaming and browsing too. I use Brave portable browser.

how do i get to the player in duckduckgo?
ddg sends me to d/l a ddg browser...cheers, mm

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hi @mikeslr

This might be of help to you as often times, a distro on one PC has various differing RAM uses than on others, in my experiences.

If you want to have a tool to allow quickly evaluating a specific distro on your platform(s), consider a simple USB like the Ventoy one describe on various locations on the forum that contain SG2D.

Simple to set up. And, once setup, use the simple USB forever to boot ISOs of your choice for evaluations that you choose. Also it can be used for production purposes in addition to evaluation of distros. Once setup, you merely download any ISO and boot directly to desktop.

If you think this will help ... Enjoy.
viewtopic.php?p=38449#p38449

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@mmmrr
Go to https://duckduckgo.com/ > search for anything, say youtube abba > click the Video tab (all videos relating to your search will be displayed) > click video you want to play > select watch here and make sure the option is ticked to save the setting.

Last edited by amethyst on Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

P.S. IF you do decide to setup a USB for booting ISOs to desktop, following those instructions is 'key' for several reasons to ensure handling all known ISO boot efforts for ALL of the PLDF distros.

Again, the Ventoy USB is made only once and is used forever in its lifetime to boot ISO and IMG files. It has been tested with all modern forum distros.

mmmrr

Post by mmmrr »

thanks amethyst.
i got halfway there.
yr info completes.
cheers, mm

mmmrr

Post by mmmrr »

this is frustrating:
clicked on video,
video begins,
clicked on 'watch here',
could not find 'save settings'
while looking, closed video.
restarted video,
could not find 'watch here'
uncheers, mm

Opi5b

Post by Opi5b »

Hello all! I am new to the board, but not new to Puppy.

I have two computers... one is Puppy Atomic Pup 19 that I use offline in an old ASUS eee 1000HE netbook.
This little gem works fine, and prints well. size is 150Mb on the download, and probably uses LESS THAN 1/2 GB storage.
The creator states its for 32bit eee computers with Atom CPU. :thumbup:
It has saved me from trashing an otherwise functional 'puter. NO browsing... FF27 is too old.
I keep browser for CUPS access.

The other is an OrangePI 5B that just got updated. Octo-core 4 A510 CPU and 4 MaliG610. its way small...
maybe 2 decks of cards stacked. Tossed in a BT keaul in yboard and finger mouse.
Wierd thing is you need a WIRED USB keyboard to set up the OS !!!

Paul in CT USA

MAY THE 4TH BE WiTH YOU :thumbup:

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Welcome @Opi5b !
While I haven't used Atomic Pup, I did save my old Acer Aspire One AOA150 with an Intel Atom CPU and 1gb RAM from the dustbin! I've been using various versions of peebee's Slackware based puppies as well as an older Arch based one, all 32 bit. However, I do use it on the internet still, using Palemoon and Chromium (not Chrome). Can provide details if desired. Anyhow, nice to see yet another satisfied Puppy user!
:welcome:
Wiz

Signature available upon request

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Opi5b wrote:

in CT USA

Me too!

Return to “Users”