JammyPup32 (UPupJJ+D-22.04) JammyJellyfish+Debian Woof-CE build

Moderator: Forum moderators

peebee

JammyPup32 (UPupJJ+D-22.04) JammyJellyfish+Debian Woof-CE build

Post by peebee »

See this post for date of latest build on Github available from Sourceforge

Latest - built on GitHub mirrored on Sourceforge

Release notes

Built from 32-bit Ubuntu Jammy Jellyfish 22.04 + some Debian Bullseye components

Ubuntu support for Jammy Jellyfish ends April 2027

Kernel LTS 5.10.xx 32-bit PAE from Github Woof-CE Kernel Kit releases

Alternate browsers (to replace or augment the Light browser provided in adrv)

LXDE and LXQt and Xfce available as alternate desktops via ydrv

RELEASE

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (246.15 KiB) Viewed 28255 times
Last edited by peebee on Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Re: JammyPup32 (UPupJJ+D-22.04) JammyJellyfish+Debian Woof-CE build 22-Apr-2022

Post by peebee »

Last edited by peebee on Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Post by peebee »

reserved

Clarity

JammyPup32 (UPupJJ+D-22.04) JammyJellyfish+Debian Woof-CE build 22-Apr-2022

Post by Clarity »

Booted JammyPUP32 ISO file after download to SG2D USB sitick.

This is a first 32bit download i've tested in years, BUT wanted to test the SAMBA facilities. before moving back to 64bit distro use and tests. The following is the resulting console log with echo'ed messages interspersed.

From the JammyPUP32 terminal

Code: Select all

# echo "Test SAMBA utilities in this terminal on desktop"
'Test SAMBA utilities in this terminal on desktop'
# echo "Test SAMBA utilities in this terminal on desktop"
'Test SAMBA utilities in this terminal on desktop'
# findsmb
                                *=DMB
                                +=LMB
IP ADDR         NETBIOS NAME     WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
192.168.0.101 CAP           +[	OIC-CORP      ]
# echo "NAS at 111 is not shown"
'NAS at 111 is not shown'
# echo "NAS at 111 is not shown"
'NAS at 111 is not shown'

# echo "Is the NAS at 111 seen?"
'Is the NAS at 111 seen?'
# echo "Is the NAS at 111 seen?"
'Is the NAS at 111 seen?'
# smbclient -U% -L 192.168.0.111

Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	Downloads       Disk      OS ISO files
	Downloads2      Disk      OS IMG files
	Multimedia      Disk      Test1
	Backups         Disk      Test2
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Puppy Samba Server)
Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE
Failed to connect with SMB1 -- no workgroup available

# echo "Start SAMBA"
'Start SAMBA'
# echo "Start SAMBA"
'Start SAMBA'
# samba start

# echo "Can you access a local folder via SAMBA"
'Can you mount a local folder via SAMBA'
# echo "Can you access a local folder via SAMBA"
'Can you mount a local folder via SAMBA'
# mkdir -p /mnt/ThisPC/Media-here
# mount -o password=woofwoof //192.168.0.101/Multimedia /mnt/ThisPC/Media-here
# ls /mnt/ThisPC/Media-here
'Siver Convention - Fly Robin Fly.mp3'

Summary

1. ISO file boot, works to desktop

2. Firstrun setup accomplished

3. Minor tailoring completed

4. Tested SAMBA utilities and ran SAMBA to insure it could share to the LAN.

5. SAMBA resources were setup via Applications "Menu>Network>Samba Simple Management" generating the following config file

#this is a very simple smb.conf to get you started
    #coutesy rcrsn51 and gcmartin
    [global]
    	workgroup = WORKGROUP
    	netbios name = JammyPup32-GA
    	server string = Puppy Samba Server
    	security = user
    	map to guest = Bad Password
    	printing = cups
    	printcap name = cups
    	load printers = yes

[Downloads]
    	path = /mnt/sda2/boot-isos
    	writable = yes

[Multimedia]
    	path = /mnt/sda2/Multimedia
    	writable = yes

[printers]
    	comment = All Printers
    	path = /var/spool/samba
    	browseable = no
    	guest ok = yes
    	writable = no
    	printable = yes
  6. Access SAMBA resource locally and LAN remotely

7. Shutdown with session saved to local HDD in "/Sessions" folder

Observation
See results of the smbclient utility when listing JammyPUP's shares.
EDIT: That utility's message is CORRECT and consistent with all PUPs to that NAS!

Conclusion
I am looking forward to using the 64bit version when it is released in a PUPPYland. Ubuntu's focus is on 64bit thru this current LTS release. World standard for PCs to be 64bit (aka x86-64) began in 2006, 16 years ago as many distros today have moved to concentrate resources on 64bit versus maintenance of old 32bit in both OS and applications. But, of course, everyone knows this direction.

Distro is smooth, stable, and responsive.

Hope this is helpful info.

P.S. This test episodes was done barebone on a 2016 64bit UEFI PC.

mdisaster

Post by mdisaster »

Hi,
I tried to download the .iso but Sourceforge says that the file does not exist or is not available.

However I found JammyPup32-22.04+0.iso in the Jammy+ folder, which I assume is the base iso (checksums match), and I downloaded that one.

Problem is, I tried to boot it on two MBR machines; an Asus Asus eeepc 701 4gb / 2gb RAM which I'm trying to revive (runs Puppy Xenial just fine, and also Tiny Core and Void for that matter), and an oldish HP desktop with a Intel 5500 CPU and 4Gb RAM. Both machines have been happily booting other Puppies up to Bionic (and other linuxes as well), however when booting JammyPup32 I only see this menu flashing for a split second and then I'm dropped into a command shell. This happens either booting by a USB stick or a SD card.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/88bCizc7Gj5v6nZ28

Anything I'm doing wrong?

Last edited by mdisaster on Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicZaurus

Post by MagicZaurus »

During boot at the very beginning it stops for 1-2 minutes as the message Probing EDD (edd=off...) ...ok. But then eventually it boots and I'm posting this from JammyPup32. Still a bit annoying as I'm used to the super fast boot of BionicPup32, which I use daily.

As there is the ok message it seems the Probing EDD is not the problem as it is completed, but whatever comes after that is the problem. As there is not other message at that time I'm not sure what is actually the next in the boot process.

I'm booting from USB with grub4dos.

title Puppy upupjj 22.04 (sdb1)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /upupjj+d/puppy_upupjj+d_22.04.sfs
  kernel /upupjj+d/vmlinuz     pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck psubdir=upupjj+d 
  initrd /upupjj+d/initrd.gz 

Anyone has an idea where to look further? As mentioned before, not a showstopper, but a bit annoying to wait so long for the boot.

peebee

Post by peebee »

Download oops is fixed....

@MagicZaurus @mdisaster - both
Hopefully you have "frugal" installs.....
Maybe try a different kernel? Swap to one you know works.... just replace zdrv (renamed) and vmlinuz

mdisaster

Post by mdisaster »

Hmm, let's write off the eeepc for the moment - it's 32bit only and has one of those brain-damaged Intel CPUs that only work with non pae kernels or the forcepae option. I may leave it on FreeDos , especially if I figure out networking, or else re-install Xenial Pup 7.5 and call it a day.

The HP desktop on the other hand is as mainstream as they come, runs Linux Mint 21.3 as its main OS and really shines with both Bionic Pup and Xenial Pup. It would be a big disappointment if it couldn't handle newer Pups or or Ubuntus... I think I'll try booting Ubuntu 22.04 on it, just to rule out kernel issues before going all frankenstein on JammyPup.

Last edited by mdisaster on Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nitehawk

Post by nitehawk »

Downloaded fine,...runs beautifully on my HP Pavilion DV6000 laptop. I made a full install (yes, you may smite me most severely for such an infraction). Just a crazy preference of mine. I have a 32bit HP Compaq desktop (former Vista machine). It's running UPupBB right now (extremely well, I must say). But I tried to boot up the UPupJJ disk on it,....but that sent it into full blown Kernel Panic mode. It's rather weird that way, so I'm sure if I were to completely wipe the Hard Drive first,...it would boot up (like it did with UPupBB).
Puppy JammyJellyfish is pretty terrific, PeeBee!

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

@peebee

I tried to boot JammyPup32 installed on an ntfs partition, but it failed.
From my failure and other people's reports, I suspect that JammyPup32 (or its kernel?) does not support installation on an ntfs partition.
If my guess should be right, I might say that JammyPup32 lacks one of Puppy's traditional features that it can be installed on the Windows partition.

salvotnt

Post by salvotnt »

hi
tested on very old netbook, intel atom based, it's work almost fine. touchpad configurator do not work, firefox sfs work only on actual session, after reboot do not showing up in menu -> browser

great puppie, please fix this bug, thanks

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@thinkpadfreak I have dug out my eeePC to test this distro implementation. I boot this distro directly from its ISO file and run it as a frugal setup directly via the ISO. There is NO NEED to move files from the ISO file to system media if you will consider booting the ISO file directly and it has advantage that if will save sessions changes to your system drive and on reboot, will find the save-session same as all PUPs do.

Past 2 years, PUPs built via WoofCE come with ability, OOTB

I am running JammyPUP32 on my eeePC without issues.

Last edited by Clarity on Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
peebee

Post by peebee »

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3056

32-bit 5.10 kernel-kit config was wrong for ntfs support - change request issued. Will need a new build once a rebuilt kernel is available.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Although JammyPUP32 is much better as it is a fully featured PUP, just tested VoidPUP32 booting it, as well, via its ISO file on this eeePC.

Performs without issues, same as JammyPUP32.

Personally, I like the better featured JammyPUP32 if I needed to continue use of this PC. (I am returning it back to its moth-balled state. Just wanted to test the ISO file boot process on this ancient PC; it works and performs an one should expect any PUP to perform.)

Hope this info is insightful for use of the ISO file boot methods posted in the forum.

xenial

Post by xenial »

Hello peebee.
I had room on my usb stick so i created a FAT32 partition and downloaded the jammy iso and extracted..i manually copied the extracted files over to the partition then ran grub4dos again..rebooted and end up with an error-15 file not found.
My method worked with scpup and i am obviously doing something wrong..should i be using a specific installer for jammy.?
thanks.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

And additional report I neglected to share earlier: The ISO files are contained on the sdcard so that no protruding things were used on this dinosaur. Both of the ISO files are contained in the "/BOOTISOS" folder. AND the system drive was never touched to avoid system drive issues. The 2 ISO mentioned run well.

Wifi via Frisbee works. SAMBA sharing works. No issues in all of minor tests I have run on this unit.

Again, hope this is helpful as the methods baked into modern WoofCE PUPs reduce problems for me in booting PUPs avoiding much time in download and setup before ever attempting to boot to use so. All I ever do in these modern times is download the ISO and boot it. Thanks @peebee and the other developers for this boot ability in use of the ISO file as a frugal, used since 2019. It is a productivity gain for those of us allowing to quickly report issues upon tests.

peebee

Re: JammyPup32 (UPupJJ+D-22.04) JammyJellyfish+Debian Woof-CE build 25-Apr-2022

Post by peebee »

+1 changes the kernel from 5.10 to 5.4 to fix the boot from ntfs problem.... see post #1

I will try to get a version of 5.10 working at some point but so far all the variants I have tried have issues.

If you want to install sfs with a saveFILE, do this AFTER having created the saveFILE by closing down and rebooting. @salvotnt

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Clarity wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:19 am

@thinkpadfreak I have dug out my eeePC to test this distro implementation. I boot this distro directly from its ISO file and run it as a frugal setup directly via the ISO. There is NO NEED to move files from the ISO file to system media if you will consider booting the ISO file directly and it has advantage that if will save sessions changes to your system drive and on reboot, will find the save-session same as all PUPs do.

Apart from booting directly from ISO, NTFS partitions were not shown in the list of where to save the session.
So when an ntfs partition is the only partition of the machine, it will be impossible to save to the internal drive.

I think it is handy to install Puppy to the windows partition, because there is no need to add changes to the drive.
This has been one of Puppy's features. I wonder if the feature has become less important in recent years.

MagicZaurus

Post by MagicZaurus »

@peebee I tried with using the kernel and z-drv.sfs from BionicPup32 (4.9.163-lxpup-32-pae kernel) and booting into JammyPup32 was comparable to BionicPub32. Didn't have time to test more. So the 1-2 min delay in booting seems to be caused by the kernel. Next try would be the 5.4 kernel from the +1 iso. Thanks for making this JammyPub32.

Edit: Tested with 5.4 kernel of the +1 iso and booting is normal without delay. So it seems my hardware doesn't like the 5.10 kernel. Nothing to do with the NTFS, as I boot from USB (FAT32).

Last edited by MagicZaurus on Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This WoofCE PUP has a grand feature that the PUP uses to make our live simple: The INIT-Shutdown processing when the session is saved on an initial use; it creates a feature inspired by @gyrog ...the SAVESPEC file.

This WoofCE PUPs which boot on this PC 'know' (thanks to SAVESPEC) where the PUP's save-sesion(s) are, as well as, if on pristine boot, knows where to save the session during shutdown processing.

It works as @gyrog advertised on his thread and is another of the WoofCE productivity helpers to not just reduce our setup time, but also to get us in and out of our systems with no boot processing hagling; thus allowing Puppy to do all the work for us.

Thanks @peebee for how your PUPs work this to our benefit.

mdisaster

Post by mdisaster »

Clarity wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:19 am

I am running JammyPUP32 on my eeePC without issues.

May I ask what model is your eeepc and how it is set up? I've been trying to do more or less the same thing (booting JammyPup from the iso on my eeepc 701 w/2 Gb RAM), but the boot sequence stops with this screen:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/88bCizc7Gj5v6nZ28
My best guess is that it's a partition probing glitch, but I can't figure out what could possibly be wrong in my setup. The same .SO image boots and runs nicely in Virtualbox, so the downolad is ok.
BTW this only happens when booting recent Pups, either from a SD card or from a USB stick, both on the eeepc and on an oldish HP desktop (MBR only, 4Gb RAM, Intel 5500U CPU) running Ubuntu 22.04.
All the older Pups I tried (up to Bionic) boot and run just fine using the same method - I'm actually actually running BionicPup32 modded for panning -, and so do a number of other current distros. I have tried TinyCore and Void, which both run great (except that Void is too big for the 4Gb SSD, and TinyCore is a pain to set up). I might give a try to Antix and Bunsen Labs just for completeness sake, as soon I as I get some new USB sticks.

Last edited by mdisaster on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MagicZaurus

Post by MagicZaurus »

@mdisaster Maybe you can try to use the kernel (vmlinuz) and z-drv from BionicPup32 to boot the JammyPup32. I did that and it booted nicely. The new 5.10 kernel also doesn't play well with my old hardware.

peebee

Post by peebee »

MagicZaurus wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:26 am

@mdisaster Maybe you can try to use the kernel (vmlinuz) and z-drv from BionicPup32 to boot the JammyPup32. I did that and it booted nicely. The new 5.10 kernel also doesn't play well with my old hardware.

Please try the 5.4 kernel as now found in +1

mdisaster

Post by mdisaster »

MagicZaurus wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:26 am

Thanks for your suggestion!

I'll try it as soon as I can get some new USB sticks and SD cards that don't suck. However I'm not sure that the problem is with the kernel, for these reasons:
- the eeepc boots and operates perfectly even with more recent kernels (I tried Void Linux and TinyCore, both of which have 5.15. will test Bunsen and Slackware next).
- the desktop has the same error as the eeepc when booting JammyPup, but runs Ubuntu 22.04 64bit and Linux Mint 21.3 like a charm.
- I've been Puppyless for a while (even if I still always carry a 5.28 CD as an emergency recovery disk) so I might be missing something, but I'm not completely sure that the screen I posted comes after an attempt to load the kernel - I'd expect to see a kernel related error message in that case. or else the kernel would load and then misbehave.

For what's worth my unsustantiated gut feeling is that GRUB4DOS doesn't like something about my partitions. The internal SSDs in both machines were originally partitioned with Gparted, so I might have messed up something that only the most recent Puppies need (the labels maybe?)

Now planning to run the test you suggested as soon I get some new USB sticks and SD cards. I'll also try the other way round (boot BionicPup32 with vmlinuz and zdrv from JammyPup),
Plus some lame voodoo stuff such as changing partition names, disabling the SD card reader in BIOS and so on.

Anyway this doesn't seem to be a JammyPup specific problem, it's either something in my setup or in recent woof builds (since older builds like Bionic or Xenial work fine). So I'll stop hijacking this thread until I find out where the problem is (suggestions are always welcome though ;) )

mdisaster

Post by mdisaster »

peebee wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:46 pm

Downloading :thumbup2:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@mdisaster you ask, I answer: eeePC 900A

If you like, I could make a IMG file that you can burn a USB/SDcard that boots this unit with the 2 32bit ISOs that @peebee has developed.

Only if it will help. Multiple members on this forum OBJECT that I show how to simply download ISO files and boot them. If you are NOT one of them, I will make a IMG that you make ONLY once and forever more you will never need to do a traditional movement of files out of any modern WoofCE PUP in any effort to boot the PUP, directly from its ISO file: it is essentially a normal frugal operation without the effort and never touching your system drive.

Would you find that adequate?

MagicZaurus

Post by MagicZaurus »

peebee wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:46 pm

On my Dell Latitude E6400 the 5.4 kernel boots fine. The original 5.10 didn't. Just as feedback.

mdisaster

Post by mdisaster »

Booting from the install media (either USB stick or SD card) still doesn't work for me, so I installed JammyPup32 on the internal SSD this way:

- Booted BionicPup to RAM from a SD card
- Nuked the sda partition with gparted to eliminate the previous BionicPup install, then recreated is as it was before (ext2, bootable)
- Mounted the USB stick with JammyPup on it (latest version, wouldn't boot), and dopied all the relevant files and directories to sda1
- Ran the Grub4Dos installer from BionicPup32
- Rebooted, and voilà! I'm glad to report that JammyPup runs exceeding well on my eeepc 701 with 2Gb RAM. Everything I tried (network, audio, video, xrandr panning trick) worked nicely out of the box, and it is probably the fastest distro I have ever run on the eeepc. I didn't even had to do anything about the weird PAE handling on the Celeron M, it is supposed to require either a non PAE kernel or the forcepae kernel command, but worked out of the box and I'm not going to complain anytime soon. Congrats for another great Puppy distro!!! :thumbup2:

(now if I only could figure out why my machines will happily boot anything I throw at them except for the latest wave of Puppies... next test will be to burn a CD-ROM and try it on the HP desktop, maybe Grub will have no objections about booting from that one)

EDIT: booting from a CD works, at least on the HP desktop that has a internal CD burner. So the booting issues I''m experiencing are only related to grub4dos + USB media + recent woof puppies + my not recent hardware. Go figure :D

Last edited by mdisaster on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.

I have confirmed that JammyPup32-22.04+1 boots from an ntfs partition.

gychang

Post by gychang »

Installed on my 32bit Dell Inspiron 1300 HD (frugal) with 2G of RAM, seems to run OK, except PPM fails to update, get an error "Packages -puppy-upupjj+d-extra, Location: http;//smokey01.com/peebee/upupjj_d-extra +Downloading...
failed to download, ERROR: Packages-uppy-upupjj_d-extra is missing"

Can this be corrected?

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Return to “Built from woof-CE Recipes”