How to access my Linux computer remotely from Windows 7?

Moderator: Forum moderators

DFM

How to access my Linux computer remotely from Windows 7?

Post by DFM »

My Linux computer is in my home and I want to use remote desktop to access it from my Windows machine. I downloaded and installed xrdp. I got the IP from ifconfig (same as in Conky) which I entered into the remote desktop app in Windows. When I try to connect, Windows pops up the unable to connect message. I've used RDP on another Windows computer so it shouldn't be a Windows problem. I've just installed f96 and haven't changed any firewall settings. Is xrdp active once installed or do I have to do something to get it running? I'm a new Linux user, so keep that in mind with your response. All suggestions welcomed. If this doesn't work I'll have to use Windows 11, so you can see I'm desperate.

mistfire

Re: Remote desktop from Windows 7

Post by mistfire »

@DFM

Did you enabled remote desktop on Windows 7 and allowed on firewall in the first place? If not then do it first. Otherwise use RustDesk

wizard

Post by wizard »

@DFM

:welcome:
Could not tell from your message if you're wanting to control your Linux machine from the internet, but using RDP through the internet requires you to open ports on your home router and for that to be secure you'll also need to setup and configure SSH. You can save yourself some headaches by just using Anydesk portable from here: viewtopic.php?t=5104. There is a free Windows Anydesk portable too. Even if you're just controlling over your local network, you may find it easier.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I have no experience with accessing remote computers beyond reading. But I was thinking along the same lines as wizard. Spotty wifi prevented me from beating him to the punch. And I had only found the latest 'installable' Anydesk program: $14.95. His post prompted me to search again which found this: https://anydesk.help/en/portable-version/

DFM

Re: How to access my Linux computer remotely from Windows 7?

Post by DFM »

Thanks to all. I'm all for easy (also wrestling with an unrelated VOIP problem) and so I'll try AnyDesk.

Return to “F96-CE”