Fatdog64-900 Final Adblocker for SeaMonkey (solved)

versatile 64-bit multi-user Linux distribution

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

keniv

Fatdog64-900 Final Adblocker for SeaMonkey (solved)

Post by keniv »

I would like to add an adblocker to SeaMonkey. I will admit that I don't use SeaMonkey by choice and so am unfamiliar with it. I cannot find a way to add an addblocker. I have attempted to use uBlock Origin and Ad Blocker without success. Can anybody recomend an adblocker that can be used with SeaMonkey and provide information as to how to install it.

Regards,

Ken.

Last edited by keniv on Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr__Dan

Re: Fatdog64-900 Final Adblocker for SeaMonkey

Post by dr__Dan »

Hello Ken,

I don't have a direct answer to your question. I have a question about your situation.

You wrote:

keniv wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:56 pm

I will admit that I don't use SeaMonkey by choice

Is there a particular reason that you are choosing to use SeaMonkey? You certainly have various choices in Fatdog64. Firefox and Google Chrome are given extra attention as the most popular, but there are others available ready to go, and ways to add various additional options for browsers. Is there any that you prefer?

Seamonkey has seemed limiting to me, even though I like the concept of an all-in-one internet suite in theory. There are many options, and Fatdog64 makes many of them easy.

Kind regards,

Dan

9 years on with Fatdog64. :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

Hello Dan,
Thanks for your reply. Unlike yourself I am very new to Fatdog. I only wish to use SeaMonkey as it is the browser supplied with this OS and it is setup to run as spot. Up until recently I have run my browsers a root. I sometimes download technical information, usually in the form of pdf. I wish to be able to scan these with clamav. As far as I can see the only version of clamav that still works is the version made available by Duprate which is specific to Fatdog. I do find it odd that for security reasons we are encourage to run as spot yet there seems to be no working av, other than the one I mentioned above, to scan anything downloaded. You will probably gather from the above that I am no expert in this.

Regards,

Ken.

dr__Dan

Post by dr__Dan »

Hi Ken,

What is your preferred browser? Any program can be easily set up to run as spot. As far as av, I likely know about as much as you, but I am fairly proficient with the basics and more with Fatdog64. Have you previously used a Puppy, or a different flavor of Linux, or is Linux fairly new to you?

Looking through the browsers offered in the repositories reminded me of the various ones available, even though I don't find most of them helpful. I believe all of the are set up to run as spot, as that if the Fatdog64 way.

I hope that helps,

Dan

edit: I looked at your profile, and see that you are more active than I am. I understand that there are adjustments when switching from the Puppies to Fatdog64. I think the developers have made fundamental improvements over the original Puppy paradigm; I rarely venture outside the Fatdog section of the forum, so I have little to say about the wider world of Puppydom.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Hello Dan,

What is your preferred browser?

Well I am currently using a portable version of Firefox to write this post on Fatdog64 but it is running as root. If I was going to replace SeaMonkey it would probably be with Palemoon.

I am fairly proficient with the basics and more with Fatdog64

I, on the other hand, am very new to Fatdog64. I have tried most of the OSs hosted on this sight, some I've found easier to use than others but my favourites are the Pups. I also use one "main line" distro.

Regards,

Ken.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

you could block ads with a custom hosts file which denys connections for any app running on the machine

viewtopic.php?p=94031#p94031

step

Post by step »

@keniv, I do not use Seamonkey much, only occasionally when no other browser is installed. For instance, I use it when I boot Fatdog64 without a savefile. Otherwise I use vivaldi browser, which has a built-in ad blocker. Vivaldi is available as an SFS in Control Panel > System > SFS Manager. Firefox and Google Chrome are available in Control Panel > Third-party Sofware Installers. You would need to also install an adblocker from their app stores. Palemoon can be installed from Control Panel > System > Gslapt package manager. I don't know about adblockers for Palemoon. As regards SeaMonkey, I suspect finding an adblocker extension that works well could be rather difficult, see https://www.mail-archive.com/support-se ... 80899.html. All browsers I mentioned run as spot by default, as dr_Dan said. You can change this setting system-wide in Control Panel > System > Convert Spot Apps to Root Apps.

fatdoguser

Post by fatdoguser »

AFAIK adblock wont detect virus, just blocks ads. I use a /etc/hosts file for that, the same one as @williwaw linked.

Fatdog is great for separation, a main home server treated no different to any other web site alongside your own private system where you store private files and only use its browser for direct banking transactions.

Set the server up, saving changes, then once configured set it to reboot that 'fixed' snapshot (no further changes save) thereafter, on one partition. Household general files on another partition - that you don't mind anyone seeing (no different to being on the public internet other than just being accessible locally).

To move a .pdf from there to your personal system, opening it and printing it to another pdf before scp transferring that printed copy to your private system is pretty safe.

For general browsing from your private system ssh works well. Set up sshd on the server, ssh -YC into that and run chrome or whatever browser(s) you've installed.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@step
Thanks for the very comprehensive description of how to install other browsers on FatDog64.

Palemoon can be installed from Control Panel > System > Gslapt package manager.

The above choice is the one I desided to go with and I downloaded v32.4.0 which seemed the most up to date. The installation process went well and I was able to open Palemoon. However, I decided to check if I had the most up to date version. In Help>About Palemoon I get a message telling me that "This is an unofficial build of Palemoon". In Preferences>Advanced>Updates all that can be updated is the "Search Engine". Can you tell me if there is a way to update this version of Palemoon in FatDog64. If not can you tell me if any of the other methods you outlined to download alternative browsers to SeaMonkey produce an updateable version of the browser?

Regards,

Ken.

step

Post by step »

keniv wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:53 pm

Palemoon can be installed from Control Panel > System > Gslapt package manager.

The above choice is the one I desided to go with and I downloaded v32.4.0 which seemed the most up to date.

It is the most up-to-date version in the Fatdog64 package repository. You probably know this already but repeating it won't hurt. Unlike Puppy Linux, Fatdog64 Linux doesn't rely on pre-built Ubuntu or Debian or <your major distro name here> packages. All packages in the Fatdog64 repository are built from scratch.
There are documented ways to use foreign packages from other distros in Fatdog64 but the result isn't certain and needs some practicing by the user. Apropos foreign packages:

Apropos building packages from scratch (fyi): http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... ckage.html

The installation process went well and I was able to open Palemoon. However, I decided to check if I had the most up to date version. In Help>About Palemoon I get a message telling me that "This is an unofficial build of Palemoon".

This has nothing to do with upgrades. That message complies with the Palemoon copyright distribution policy. The Fatdog64 development team isn't authorized to write "This is an official Palemoon build" because that's reserved for authorized builds, and the team didn't seek authorization. But the build you have is equivalent to all other good (and official) builds you can get for that version from other distros or Palemoon.org directly.

In Preferences>Advanced>Updates all that can be updated is the "Search Engine". Can you tell me if there is a way to update this version of Palemoon in FatDog64.

I don't think there is, other than asking in the forum for a dev or another user to do build a new version from scratch or doing it yourself.

If not can you tell me if any of the other methods you outlined to download alternative browsers to SeaMonkey produce an updateable version of the browser?

As in running the browser's self-update machinery? I don't know. I never do it that way. When I want to update the browser I go to Control Panel > Third-party installers and let it update Firefox or Chrome for me. As regards Vivaldi, I download the latest build from Vivaldi.com and package it as an SFS.

Why is it important for you to have the browser rather than the system run the update process?

keniv

Post by keniv »

@step
Thanks again for all the detailed information.

As in running the browser's self-update machinery? I don't know. I never do it that way.

Why is it important for you to have the browser rather than the system run the update process?

I think this is because I am probably very Puppy oriented and this is the way I've done it with them. However, I do also have a copy of Linux Mint on a different partition on this drive and the browser in it is updated by updating the full OS.

It is the most up-to-date version in the Fatdog64 package repository.

This is v32.4.0 and I think the most up to date version of Palemoon I have is v32.4.1 so they are very close. I have now decided to stick with the copy of Palemoon I've downloaded and installed which is currently running as spot. I've added Adblock Latitude. I'll make it my default browser. I am currently posting from it.
I have another question about SeaMonkey which I hope you won't mind asking. If I open Gslapt and type in SeaMonkey then click on SeaMonkey to highlight it then right click it I am given the option to "Remove" it. Is it safe to remove it? Will this process actually physically remove it from the OS?

Thanks again for your patience,

Ken.

step

Post by step »

keniv wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:19 pm

I have now decided to stick with ... Palemoon ... I'll make it my default browser.

You've probably already seen that you can do that from Control Panel > System > Fatdog64 Edit Default Programs. You want to change "BROWSER". I think you need to logout or reboot for changes to take effect.

I hope you won't mind asking.

Not at all.

If I open Gslapt and type in SeaMonkey then click on SeaMonkey to highlight it then right click it I am given the option to "Remove" it. Is it safe to remove it? Will this process actually physically remove it from the OS?

I think it is safe but it won't buy you much, because SeaMonkey is stored inside initrd therefore it won't really be removed from the OS or free up RAM or disk space. It will merely disappear from the system menu and the command line. The converse isn't true. If you remove it and then change your mind and install it back, all its mega bytes will encumber your savefile. I never remove it, for the following reasons:
- When I boot without savefile I can still use SeaMonkey to surf the web or read local HTML files.
- SeaMonkey is a suite of programs, a browser, an HTML editor and an email client (see default programs I mentioned above). You may not want to use the browser but could use the other functions. I know people who like the email client function.

Thanks again for your patience

Welcome, Ken.

G__

Post by G__ »

Hi there - here are my 2 cents:

There is a specific Ublock Origin build working with older seamonkey versions - although quite outdated (July 2021):
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... legacy.xpi
Download the .xpi file, go into SeaMonkey -> Extensions -> Manual install from file -> select .xpi file (Or something like that; I stopped using SeaMonkey about 1 year ago.)
Be aware that many sites might have "outsmarted" this particular version of Ublock Origin - ads will appear. Try to use alternative frontends for popular portals, such as https://api.invidious.io/ (YouTube) or mobile versions (usually https://m.* instead of https://www.* domains).

Puppy poweruser Mike Walsh has a whole MEGA.nz repository with rather easy-to-install browsers:
https://mega.nz/folder/6LYmRTzK#mXaNPN4 ... r/2KZFQYxJ
I use Brave these days - and the package comes even with an auto-updater. (Menu entry doesn't work in Fd64-81x though; also make sure to delete the rpm packages to save disk/thumb drive space.)
2.1 Download the .tar.xz archive.
2.2 Extract it somewhere (I use /opt in this example).
2.3 Start browser with

Code: Select all

/opt/Brave-portable64/LAUNCH
keniv

Post by keniv »

@step

You've probably already seen that you can do that from Control Panel > System > Fatdog64 Edit Default Programs.

Yep and I've now setup Palemoon as the default browser.

I think it is safe but it won't buy you much, because SeaMonkey is stored inside initrd therefore it won't really be removed from the OS or free up RAM or disk space. It will merely disappear from the system menu and the command line. The converse isn't true. If you remove it and then change your mind and install it back, all its mega bytes will encumber your savefile. I never remove it, for the following reasons:

Yes for the reasons you outlined above it does not seem sensible not to remove it so I've left it as is.

I know people who like the email client function.

Quite a while ago when Pups tended to ship with SeaMonkey I did in fact use it's email client but didn't stick with it.
With your help I feel I've got a bit more familiar with FatDog64 and have got further forward in setting it up the way I'd like.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@G__
Thanks for your reply.

There is a specific Ublock Origin build working with older seamonkey versions - although quite outdated (July 2021):

I have done this in the past but not with SeaMonkey. Oddly enough I think it was with Palemoon. I did try it with SeaMonkey this time but it did not work. SeaMonkey did not even allow the download. The version I tried was uBlock0_1.46.0.firefox.signed.xpi which is an older version I'd kept. I think the most up to date version is 1.49.2 but I did not try this one as I thought it was unlikely to work.

Puppy poweruser Mike Walsh has a whole MEGA.nz repository with rather easy-to-install browsers:

I'm a big fan of Mike's "portables" and have installed portable Firefox on FatDog64 but I have this one running as root. I also use it and other portable browsers on some of the Pups I have installed.

Thanks for your help,

Ken.

G__

Post by G__ »

Hi @keniv,

In case SeaMonkey doesn't allow .xpi downloads, you could try exactly that via terminal:

Code: Select all

cd /root/spot/Downloads
wget https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/releases/download/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.30/uBlock0_1.16.4.30.firefox-legacy.xpi
chown spot:spot uBlock0_1.16.4.30.firefox-legacy.xpi

After that, try the manual .xpi install. There might be an option in SeaMonkey to allow downloads of assumed insecure extension files (security override).

keniv

Post by keniv »

@G__
I've tried again to add uBlock0_1.46.0.firefox.signed.xpi to SeaMonkey. To do this I have to select Edit>Tools>Add-ons Manager. In the window that appears I have to select Extensions. I then have to go to a small box that contains a cog and a small downwards pointing arrow. Clicking on this arrow produces a drop down menu. I have to select Install add-on from file. On clicking on this I can select the above file but on trying to install it I get an error message telling me that "uBlock Origin could not be installed as it is not compatible with SeaMonkey 2.53.15" Can you tell me if you've been able to install uBlock on SeaMonkey 2.53.15 and if so how you did it.

Regards,

Ken.

one

Post by one »

keniv wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:55 pm

@G__
I've tried again to add uBlock0_1.46.0.firefox.signed.xpi to SeaMonkey. [...]

This is the wrong version.

@G__ gave you already the link to the correct (legacy) version 1.16.4.30:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... legacy.xpi

As you can see the version is from Jul 20, 2021 - there is no newer version available.

peace

G__

Post by G__ »

Hi @keniv, hi @one,

the legacy version worked for me on SeaMoneky 2.49.x
Since 2.53.x is on Fd64, please try
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... erbird.xpi (Current Thunderbird version, which is AFAIK more compatible with SeaMonkey.)
or
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/relea ... signed.xpi (Firefox equivalent.)

For all uBlock Origin releases, see:
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases (Maybe some other version works.)

... and with that, I'm at the end of my wisdom. Maybe the Fd64 devs could include a more compatible browser (ie., vaniladpup has a custom Firefox included; although that would also require a new email program as well).

keniv

Post by keniv »

@G__
I now seem to have uBlock Origin 1.16.4.30 installed in SeaMonkey 2.53.15 without all of the carry on I outlined in my previous post to you.
@one

This is the wrong version.

I was under the impression that if I could get the older version to install it would be updated to the most up to date version but I now assume this is not the case.
Clicking on the link you supplied made it very easy to install uBlock.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Ken.

dr__Dan

Post by dr__Dan »

Just a little follow up.

step wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:26 pm

You've probably already seen that you can do that from Control Panel > System > Fatdog64 Edit Default Programs. You want to change "BROWSER". I think you need to logout or reboot for changes to take effect.

For the record, it always starts to work immediately for me without logging out or rebooting.

Sometimes programs (typically browsers) ask whether they are the default, and suggest that you make them be the default. The system for delineating the default that they seem to be referencing is not (as nearly as I can tell) the same as the Fatdog64 system accessed by the Control Panel applet step referenced.

@keniv, the run-as-spot script has worked well for me. I have in the past downloaded a browser, unzipped it into a folder in /opt, and set up a .desktop file for it, using run-as-spot followed by the path to the executable in the exec= line, then been able to use its built-in updater. That was some years and Fatdog64 versions ago, but it would likely work the same now. I've run browsers made for Widows (sic) OS using Wine, but with mixed results, and generally not worth my efforts more than to satisfy my curiosity.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@dr__Dan

@keniv, the run-as-spot script has worked well for me.

Yes I now have both SeaMonkey and Palemoon running as spot. I'm currently posting from SeaMonkey though for the moment I have setup Palemoon as the default browser. I now have another problem with SeaMonkey which is to do with setting up the startup page and the persistence of the changes I've made. However, that would be for another thread if I decide to make one. These problems have not endeared me to SeaMonkey nor do I use SeaMonkey Mail but I'm sure some others here love the SeaMonkey suite. I suppose we all have our own likes and dislike and have reasons for them.

Regards,

Ken.

Return to “FatDog64”