Fossa64-bas - CLOSED

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Re: Fossa64-bas - A Basic Fossapup

Post by amethyst »

Since there are no additional jwm themes included, try this small utility to create your own: https://forum.puppylinux.com/download/file.php?id=3435
I also made a pet package for additional JWM themes, find attached. Strongly suggest you download and install radky's JWMDesk Manager for customization of JWM.

Attachments
ExtraThemes.pet
(171.57 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
greengeek

Re: Fossa64-bas - v6 released (browser fix)

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:31 am

get rid of isomaster and use something like peasydisk instead.

Have you had problems with isomaster? And does peasydisk address these?
Cheers!

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

@ozsouth
Quick question - your v6 release talks about updaters and root vs spot:

I do not want auto updating, but I do like the Palemoon downloads going into Spot (originally I didnt like this but now I think it's a good idea)

Is v6 the right one for me??

Cheers!
:thumbup:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@greengeek - v6 onwards is better for all. Updating is optional, but if you choose it, it won't trash root settings for those running as root. It's default is to run as spot.

Last edited by ozsouth on Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst

Re: Fossa64-bas - v6 released (browser fix)

Post by amethyst »

greengeek wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:08 am
amethyst wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:31 am

get rid of isomaster and use something like peasydisk instead.

Have you had problems with isomaster? And does peasydisk address these?
Cheers!

No problem with isomaster but peasydisk can do more with the utilities already included in the distribution (it's just a script with a GUI for the available utilities as far as I know). Isomaster is superfluous. We have so many great little scripts in Puppyland which give great functionality to our computing with almost nothingness in terms of size.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

v7 - Issues addressed:

Evince replaces gpdf, as although all printing apps work in standard fossa64-bas-7 when cupsgsij .pet added, when I add Firefox or Chrome, can't print directly. Workaround for those apps is print to pdf (if running as spot, save to /home/spot), open in evince & print.
* Update 27/7/23 - new apulse-gtk3 .pet in 1st post fixes this. *

The Fossa64-bas version of Isomaster is broken - due to boot.catalog problem, isos made won't make bootable CDs on some systems, and boot slowly with errors on others. The workaround (thanks to @greengeek ) is to use pCompress.

pCompress iso creation method:
1. Make new folder with desired new iso name, mount current iso & copy iso contents into new folder & unmount current iso.
2. Then can edit sfs's (be careful - major edits can cause overall failure!) by moving one (maybe ydrv, which has adjustments/other settings) into an empty folder, then in terminal, cd into that folder & run updatesfsl & make small edits in utmp subfolder, then when done click OK button. Delete old sfs & rename resultant mynew.sfs to original sfs name & move into iso folder. Can repeat step 2 with other sfs's.
3. Then in ROX-Filer, rightclick on new iso folder & choose pCompress, then choose iso & create (& ok).

Last edited by ozsouth on Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:06 am, edited 18 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

How do I activate GTK-theming? I want to add some gtk-themes.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I've removed isomaster (replaced by peasydisk) and TED (I've installed the Abiword/Gnumeric package) from the ydrv. Added quite a lot of JWM themes and icon themes which added about 2MB to my save file. Worth it, I think. Also changed to a nice wallpaper pic (also just a few Kb's so also worth it).

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - excellent - I hope folk can customise to suit. Re-gtk, I confess, I don't know. v6p just might be it for me.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

ozsouth wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:11 am

@amethyst - excellent - I hope folk can customise to suit. Re-gtk, I confess, I don't know. v6p just might be it for me.

I'll make a post in Users for the GTK thing. Someone might know.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

V7 released. See first post.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

GIMP portable from Mikewalsh appears to be working in FBas. It is big - but hey it works.
See here:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 085#p94085

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

A few extra icon themes. Extract and place in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes.

Attachments
Extra-Icons.zip
(385.17 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Okay, I think I now have my little system set up with the necessary must have (essential) things in my view:
base sfs (98MB) and ydrv (52MB) max xz compression. Kernel and browser additional of course.
The following are included in the said ydrv: small gtk3 package, ffmpeg, gnome-mplayer and Abiword/Gnumeric. The ffmpeg package quite large unfortunately but necessary otherwise I can't play my internet streams (ydrv would have been much smaller otherwise).
I have a 64MB sized save file and installed a few must have (for me) pets. ie: Packit. UExtract, JWMDesk, mtPaint, MultiRename, Edit initrd.gz, nicOS Utility Suite, nicOS PowerTimeout, nicOS Package Extractor, nicOS Package Remover, PeasyDisc. Added a few additional JWM themes and Icon themes. The latter pet installs are mostly very small script applications so takes up a MB or two so well worth the addition for added functionality. Still have quite a bit of space left in the save file. Removed isomaster and TED (superfluous) from the system. We can still make a very functional relatively small Puppy afterall. Nice little 64-bit backup system for my Bionic32 workhorse. :thumbup:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Made a pet package for pEqualizer specifically for this Fossa Basic. Should work nicely with Gnome MPlayer and so on. Note - start pEqualizer first before running your media player.
Edit: Unfortunately I have to pull this because it does not seem to work correctly with this Basic Fossapup (something amiss with alsa I think). I did make a version for the official Fossapup9.5 which does work properly (but will not work with this distribution). viewtopic.php?p=91498#p91498

Last edited by amethyst on Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

Is that ffmpeg one of the 'statics' from John van Sickle, Nic? I know they're a hell of a size, but I've been using 'em for a few years - ever since Fred brought them to the community's attention - and for me, they just 'work'. Everywhere.

(Even sym-linked in as a replacement for Tahrpup's ridiculous avconv..!) :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:35 pm

@amethyst :-

Is that ffmpeg one of the 'statics' from John van Sickle, Nic? I know they're a hell of a size, but I've been using 'em for a few years - ever since Fred brought them to the community's attention - and for me, they just 'work'. Everywhere.

(Even sym-linked in as a replacement for Tahrpup's ridiculous avconv..!) :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Don't know, just used the pet that was offered in this thread.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@mikewalsh - that ffmpeg comes from original fossapup's adrv, like most of the .pets I made. Only major ones that didn't are gnome-mplayer (from ScPup64) & v1's Palemoon (your portable). Even the security updates I made were compiled in fossa64-bas. Doing it that way saved me from dependency issues.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Pdisk (Partition Manager). Pet attached.

Attachments
Pdisk.pet
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

In Menu > Setup > Screen/Graphics Wizard, the Multi Monitor option does not work. This is because lxrandr has been removed. Attached the required file (remove the fake .gz extension). Place the file in /usr/bin. As a matter of interest: I see there is a spelling error in Xorg Video Wizard. One of the option headings is "Sreensaver" should be Screensaver of course (good lad I am, I fixed it for you attached new file, place it in /usr/sbin, remove fake extension). :P
The Picom Compositor function is also not working but I didn't look into that (of no interest to me).

Attachments
xorgwizard.gz
(23.96 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
lxrandr.gz
(45.82 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
ozsouth

Re: Fossa64-bas

Post by ozsouth »

Last edited by ozsouth on Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
oui

midori-nv 10.0.2

Post by oui »

How to add midori 10.0.2 (the same as in Daedalus Pup) in Fossapup?

ozsouth

Re: Fossa64-bas - Midori

Post by ozsouth »

@oui - I've found a .deb for Midori 10.0.2 beta here: https://astian.org/wp-content/uploads/m ... beta-2.deb

Needs updated gtk3 from here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/bu4jv6ns ... l.pet/file

Other missing libs are in .pet attached below. So Midori as a .pet with extras needed would be about 65mb.

This seems to run a fair amount of content WITHOUT ffmpeg. (Even a few parts of my streaming services).
Does have a lot of error messages behind the scenes.

TO RUN THIS, once deb & 2 pets installed, run (in a terminal): run-as-spot midori-ng
OR edit /usr/share/applications/midori-ng.desktop , changing the exec line to:
Exec=run-as-spot /opt/'Midori Next Generation'/midori-ng
(note: single quotes only). Then in terminal, run: fixmenus && jwm -reload
Then the icon in Utilities menu will work.

Attachments
midori-ng-fossalibs.pet
for midori-ng only.
(290.97 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Got it to run now like I run all my other Puppys. Merged the contents of the base and my ydrv into a new base sfs (145MB). Gone with the save file and saving my configs and very small installs like scripts and so on to a new adrv (12MB). Made the browser a ydrv. Running Firefox as root (I had to do a few changes with my older base version). Changes to desktop, etc. are now also captured correctly to my adrv. I'll probably make an alternative initrd to invoke a lot of additional drives (just for fun, I don't actually use them). :thumbup:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - that's great! I'm hoping that now the base is about right, lots of people will be able to make their own custom versions, over a range of sizes.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

ozsouth wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:55 pm

@amethyst - that's great! I'm hoping that now the base is about right, lots of people will be able to make their own custom versions, over a range of sizes.

I worked from the V5 base so probably had a bit more to do than someone who downloaded the latest version. The only thing I still want to add is a Personal Organizer (tasks, to do) but I'm looking for something extremely small and not OSMO. This has been a nice and useful addition to the Puppy world. BTW - the distribution runs fast on my old machine. Congratulations.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@ozsouth
I've noticed that my laptop backlight dims a bit shortly after startup, is this normal? Last time I've seen this on my machine was with an old Precise era kernel. Using kernel 5.15 but same happens when using Tahr64's kernel with this distribution. I am also unable to change the graphics driver from modesetting to intel.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@amethyst - Basic has a brightness setter - sets 50%. Command line is: setblt (values 1-9 for 10 - 90%). Default is setblt 5 , which you get by just running setblt without a number. Is launched in /etc/init.d . You can go full brightness by running killall setblt or removing /etc/init.d entry. Re-intel - I thought i915 was there, but due to the absence of OpenGL, may not be available. On that note, I can't run anydesk without OpenGL & haven't succeeded in installing that. OpenGL is in the original fossapup adrv (somewhere) & may be huge.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

ozsouth wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:00 am

@amethyst - Basic has a brightness setter - sets 50%. Command line is: setblt (values 1-9 for 10 - 90%). Default is setblt 5 , which you get by just running setblt without a number. Is launched in /etc/init.d . You can go full brightness by running killall setblt or removing /etc/init.d entry. Re-intel - I thought i915 was there, but due to the absence of OpenGL, may not be available. On that note, I can't run anydesk without OpenGL & haven't succeeded in installing that. OpenGL is in the original fossapup adrv (somewhere) & may be huge.

Thanks, I set the value to 7 in /usr/local/bin/setblt. I did up the gamma calibration but changing that may distort the colours slightly. Yes, no glxgears for 3d rendering but can't see why this will influence the setting of the driver to intel. Have to check if i915 is there and how to enable it.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Just a note - I have had problems with playing DRM content on some sites with the Firefox included as an adrv (some widvine plugin problem it seems). Reverted to using mikewalsh's portable which works fine.

Return to “Re-masters”