BookwormPup64 10.0.6

Moderator: Forum moderators

mypuppy2

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.6

Post by mypuppy2 »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:55 pm

Restart your PC, enter the UEFI and look for the system drive. Is it there?

Yes, it's there but my system doesn't support UEFI mode. the SATA operation are set to ATA.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Clarity wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am

BKWP64 v10.0.6.jpg

Neofetch reads /etc/os-release , symlinked to /usr/lib/os-release, which is outdated in more than one way:

NAME=Puppy
VERSION="10.0.5"
ID=debian
VERSION_ID=10.0.5
PRETTY_NAME="BookwormPup64 10.0.5"
ANSI_COLOR="0;34"
CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:puppy:puppy_linux:10.0.5"
HOME_URL="http://puppylinux.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE"
VERSION_CODENAME=bookworm

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Question @mypuppy2
Is there an OS on your system drive (other than the PUPs you test) that boots? If so, which OS?

In the past was the drive seen by past PUP distros? If so, which?

mypuppy2

Post by mypuppy2 »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm

Question @mypuppy2
Is there an OS on your system drive (other than the PUPs you test) that boots? If so, which OS?

I have several OS installed which includes: Windows 10, Windows 7, and Xubuntu 19

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm

In the past was the drive seen by past PUP distros? If so, which?

Nope, this is my first time using Puppy Linux but I have already tested some old distros that I already have from long time. With these old distros I can normally boot and install them without HDD detect issues.

Here's list of some images that I can run them without HDD detect issue:

Code: Select all

antiX-22_x64-full.iso
linuxmint-21.1-mate-64bit.iso
xubuntu-19_10-desktop-amd64.iso
Clarity

Post by Clarity »

mypuppy2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:21 pm

... I have several OS ...

Could or are these using disk encryption software?

Any other forum members know of this problem of hiding system volumes that have non-linux formatted partitions?

mypuppy2

Post by mypuppy2 »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:21 pm

Could or are these using disk encryption software?

Ofc No, I have never and will never use any encryption method for my HDD.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@mypuppy2
Boot the PUP again
Open a terminal and show us the results of this command >> parted -l that's a lowercase "L"

mypuppy2

Post by mypuppy2 »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:04 pm

@mypuppy2
Boot the PUP again
Open a terminal and show us the results of this command >> parted -l that's a lowercase "L"

Model: SanDisk Cruzer Blade (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 15.7GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 8258kB 15.7GB 15.7GB primary ntfs boot

Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/zram0: 3022MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: loop
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File system Flags
1 0.00B 3022MB 3022MB linux-swap(v1)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Any MEMBERS seen this before?

mypuppy2

Post by mypuppy2 »

The issue are confirmed that it's been caused by the kernel.
Is there a way to change the kernel used in Puppy distros ?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Is there a way to change the kernel used in Puppy distros ? It's very easy. But that may not be your problem.

To swap kernels you can grab the vmlinuz and zdrd,sfs (e.g. zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs) and replace the current versions renaming the zdrv.sfs to zdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.6.sfs. Or download a hugh package from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=65 extract it; rename the vmlinuz_xxx to just vmlinuz, and rename kernel_modules.sfs to zdrv as previously. Then swap. You may also need firmware; also available from the cited Section; renaming firmware to fdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.6.sfs.

But I notice that you've previously installed "antiX-22_x64-full.iso
linuxmint-21.1-mate-64bit.iso, and xubuntu-19_10-desktop-amd64.iso"

and that
"Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/zram0: 3022MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 4096B/4096B
Partition Table: loop Emphasis supplied.
Disk Flags:"

I now have two laptops which can't boot any Puppy from the internal drive after installing first Manjaro, then Zorin, then Linux-Mint, then Zorin-xfce. Not even after trying with the new Grub2config-2.0.2, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 35#p115435. Attempt to install it results in the 'can't write error' previously reported. I examined the Dell laptop yesterday and discovered that sda1 had been over-written to create an extended partition with (now) Zorin being located on a logical partition.

The problem started with Manjaro when I replaced an old version of Linux Mint. As indicated above, I can replace a 'Major' distro with others, doing so didn't enable me to boot any Puppy. And, yes, I've used gparted to completely revise the partition table; but I don't recall using gparted, then NOT installing a Major Distro before installing Puppy.

I'm considering doing a low-level format. But was going to seek advice first.

P.S. I'm really pissed. Caution: anyone trying to resolve this problem by installing a Major Distro should realize the risk ending up with a computer which can't boot Puppys. Caution 2: I chose Zorin-xfce as the last as it worked best with my Dell hoping that I could then custom edit it's grub menu. But it's grub menu isn't simple.

Last edited by mikeslr on Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peebee

Post by peebee »

mypuppy2 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:47 am

The issue are confirmed that it's been caused by the kernel.
Is there a way to change the kernel used in Puppy distros ?

You must use a "usrmerge" kernel with BookwormPup64 so most "old" kernels are not suitable......

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

wizard

Post by wizard »

Remastering BW64

Remastering is a Puppy feature that allows you to build all your added apps and customization's into a new main Puppy .sfs file and/or ISO file.

Bookworm64 includes @amethyst great nicOS-Utility-Suite which can be used to remaster Puppy. If you choose Remaster-Classic or Remaster-Alternative it will rebuild the main Puppy .sfs file. When that is complete you have to manually add additional files from the ISO file that was used to set up the installation, before creating the ISO.

That process may be confusing for new or unfamiliar users.

Remasterme.sh is an alternate method that uses remasterpup2 (which is also included in BW64). Remasterpup2 has not been maintained, so just running it will not produce the expected results.

The script program "remasterme.sh" uses remasterpup2 and adds to it to produce a remaster including desktop and wallpaper.

It requires the user to place the Puppy ISO (must be the only ISO) and remasterme.sh program in the same directory and then run remasterme.sh. No manual copying is required, just read and follow the on screen instructions carefully.

Here is a comparison of the two programs, the test installation contained a 206mb save folder.

remaster-comp.jpg
remaster-comp.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 1623 times

Both methods have plus's and minus's. I will use both, depending on the situation

In the test, remasterme.sh created an ISO that was 275mb smaller than produced by nicOS-Utility-Suite.

Please use this first release for testing only. Comments and suggestions are invited.

Thanks
wizard

Attachments
remasterme.sh.gz
remove fake.gz
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Big pile of OLD computers

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The remastered size of the ISO is relative to the size of the original distribution AND your changes to the system AND the compression method you use HOWEVER note that the actual size of your remaster is a constant as far as the uncompressed data is concerned so the actual (raw size of the operating system data) of your remastered distribution stays the same no matter what compression method you use. Compressing the contents is just an archiving method. XZ compression gives the highest compression ratio but also the slowest compression and decompression times whilst gzip (a very common one) is much faster for compression (but the archiving size is bigger) and decompression. The only benefits these days of using xz compression I can think of are when you have limited space on your storage media (which is extremely rare these days) and when you want to distribute the distribution (for uploading and downloading because the uploading and downloading size will be smaller). In all other cases, xz compression should be avoided because its slowness impacts the actual operational speed of your distribution and that really is the last thing you want. I have repacked all my sfs's in the gzip format. The gzip format is also used in my remaster suites and thus the archived files (but not the actual size of the contents) will be bigger in size than those packed in the xz format. When I first published my suites there were more users options (like selecting different compression methods) but I changed things for simplicity, faster speed and compatibility for older and newer Puppys. Also note that the gzip format is very kind on system resources especially when using older machines. Also - the main purpose of my remaster suites are the remastering of the base sfs (which most existing users would want to do) but also an additional option to make an ISO for those who want to and that ISO option specifically needs manual user intervention for very good reasons, ie: 1. you may not have the original iso anymore so the process will guide you in terms of what is essential to make an ISO even if you do not have the official iso anymore 2. you will have the opportunity to manually add extra things you want to include in the new ISO (like extra sfs's or whatever other data) and 3. You will have the opportunity to manually make changes, for example include a different kernel (zdrv, vmlinuz, fdrv) etc.

wiak

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.5

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:16 am

For Ventoy boot, the boot stanza MUST have a PSAVE= parm to direct persistence

I've never commented on this in the past, but I've noticed various confusing comments related to the above in the past. Some posts seemed to suggest Puppy save persistence worked as long as their was an external file, which Puppy calls SAVESPEC, but elsewhere I've read (from gyrog himself, though I can't recall where) that that SAVESPEC file doesn't get read when booting from Ventoy (so won't work with that mechanism) and manual editing of the Ventoy menu is required to put in that PSAVE= parameter instead. Okay SAVESPEC directing is claimed to work with SG2D above, but I'm more interested in Ventoy alone scenario (bare metal booting Ventoy installed usb still and not involving Qemu, the use of which just confuses me further in tests of Ventoy).

Can we at last conclude that is the case, one way or the other, so that users can avoid wasting time trying to get save persistence with Puppy iso booting from Ventoy via any external so-called SAVESPEC file? This seems to have been going on for years. Can we put it to bed and make the final statement about that in whatever is main forum Ventoy thread (assuming there is one)?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mypuppy2

Post by mypuppy2 »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:27 pm

To swap kernels you can grab the vmlinuz and zdrd,sfs

I would like to avoid this method since I prefer to install it from the live session then remaster it.

@wizard I understand the script you posted are used for remastering the distro, but how could I Install the kernel in first place ?

Please excuse my late respond ...

Thanks!

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mypuppy2

The kernel files are not actually affected by the remaster process, so you can do it before or after.

Look here for how change kernels:
viewtopic.php?p=78872#p78872

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rerwin

New Internet Connection Wizard Update for WoofCE & Next Release

Post by rerwin »

@radky, @Jasper and other interested Puppians,

At long last I have uploaded a redesigned network_connect_update package that integrates support for connman and peasywifi, along with a correspondingly updated simple_network_setup (SNS) package. They are intended for submission to woofCE.

They are attached as versions 20240404-beta and 3.5 to the posting at:
viewtopic.php?p=2241#p2241.

Their change listings are at: viewtopic.php?p=2249#p2249.

Please try them and report any misbehavior by them, to ensure they are ready for woofCE and the next releases of BookwormPup.

I also uploaded frisbee-2.0.2 to use gtk+ 2 when available.

Radky, note that the integration of connman has changed as to the modifications made to the file names. Instead of needing the defaultconnect and .desktop files to be changed to invoke connman as 'connman-gtk.sh', they now use the original 'connman-gtk'. The connectwizard now changes file 'connman-gtk' to 'connman-gtk.sh' at bootup and intercepts invocation of 'connman-gtk' to perform the switch to connman and then execute connman-gtk.sh.

Although the beta version will correct the defaultconnect file, it does not change the connman (Internet Connection Manager) desktop file 'Exec=' line to 'connman-gtk'. The "release" network_connect_update version will assume the correct Exec= line.

The update provides a desktop (menu) file of "Internet Connection Wizard" to distinguish it from "Internet Connection Manager (connman)". (Please consider this as a suggestion that we can change.)

Richard

gyrog

Re: BookwormPup64 10.0.5

Post by gyrog »

wiak wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:10 pm

I've never commented on this in the past, but I've noticed various confusing comments related to the above in the past. Some posts seemed to suggest Puppy save persistence worked as long as their was an external file, which Puppy calls SAVESPEC, but elsewhere I've read (from gyrog himself, though I can't recall where) that that SAVESPEC file doesn't get read when booting from Ventoy (so won't work with that mechanism) and manual editing of the Ventoy menu is required to put in that PSAVE= parameter instead. Okay SAVESPEC directing is claimed to work with SG2D above, but I'm more interested in Ventoy alone scenario (bare metal booting Ventoy installed usb still and not involving Qemu, the use of which just confuses me further in tests of Ventoy).

Can we at last conclude that is the case, one way or the other, so that users can avoid wasting time trying to get save persistence with Puppy iso booting from Ventoy via any external so-called SAVESPEC file? This seems to have been going on for years. Can we put it to bed and make the final statement about that in whatever is main forum Ventoy thread (assuming there is one)?

The reason for the dirrerence is:
SG2D uses the grub2 loopback method, (preferred).
Ventoy creates a pseudo CD and uses the 'classic' method.
See viewtopic.php?p=116425#p116425 for more detail.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@rerwin

Thanks for the updates and looking forward to testing these updated applications :thumbup:

fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

@rerwin
I tested your pet files
OS: BW64-10.0.6. fresh frugal install, onboard ethernet, Wifi dongle TP-Link WN 725N, r8188eu

SNS-3.5 shows r8188eu usb Realtek Wireless Lan Driver, but no WiFi found ("No wireless network found")
The Ethernet connection works.
Right click on the icon in the desktop/tray:
"Disconnect from network" works.
“Reconnect to network” works.

Network Wizard recognizes r8188 module and offers to use it, after selection "yes" WiFi works.
The Ethernet connection works.
Right-clicking on the icon in the desktop/tray partially works:
“Disconnect from network” works.
"Reconnect to network" does not work, message: "Failed to connect to any networks" (/tmp/network-wizard/network-connect.log is empty)

Frisbee 2.0.2:
Wireless Networks: WLAN is not recognized, launching “Diagnostics” does nothing
Network Interfaces: wlan0 is not recognized, eth0 is recognized and works
Right-clicking on the icon in the desktop/tray doesn't work:
Clicking "Disconnect from network" does nothing (the connection remains active).

ConnMan:
Ethernet and wireless works.
Disconnect and reconnect works both in the desktop/tray and in the input mask.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@fr-ke - I tried the bookwormpup 10.0.6 / WN725N combo & found that if I ran: modprobe rtl8xxxu , then removed & replugged in the WN735N, then ran internet connection from menu & restarted wireless, wifi was detected, with standard kernel 6.1.76.
Later kernels (like my 6.7.5 aoum, in forum Kernels section), load the rtl8xxxu driver automatically.

fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

@ozsouth

I tried the bookwormpup 10.0.6 / WN725N combo & found that if I ran: modprobe rtl8xxxu , then removed & replugged in the WN735N

hasn't led to any change for me.

What do you mean by “ran internet connection from menu”.
I get SNS-3.5, Network Wizzard, Frisbee 2.0.2 and ConnMan to choose from.

sonny

Post by sonny »

Just tried out 10.0.6...

After opening a drive, closing it, and reopening it...

pMount.png
pMount.png (25.53 KiB) Viewed 715 times

Any enlightenment?

radky

Post by radky »

@sonny

Thanks for the report.

The free partition space depicted by the bar graphic will be corrected in the next release of BW64.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Sure lack of btrfs file system support is not part of this issue?

Screenshot(3).jpg
Screenshot(3).jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 593 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@fr-ke - I ran my tests again today. I used Menu -> Setup -> Internet Connection Manager in all my tests.
In kernel 6.1.76 (original) I realised I had not removed r8188eu , so rtl8xxxu was not operative. I did notice that cfg80211 was not loaded for r8188eu, as I would have expected (ran in terminal: lsmod | grep r8188 ). May contribute to your issue.
In both my kernels 6.7.5 aoum & 6.6.13 aoum, rtl8xxxu was loaded (by the kernel - r8188eu was not loaded), along with cfg80211 & mac80211, & I was able to connect via frisbee (via Menu->Setup->I.C.M.), without any other intervention. Sorry for the confusion.

I think the next bookwormpup will have a 6.6.x kernel, as the usually conservative ChromeOS crostini (based on Debian Bookworm) is up to 6.6.17.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Since PUPs are built from WoofCE and use PUP created kernels and packages, wouldn't one of the latest kernels be a better choice. This is all work within the PUP community layered on top of established distros found "in the wild".

Curious

fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

@ozsouth
I implemented your suggestions on the desktop and a laptop.
I can't make a connection with frisbee.
Neither with frisbee-2.0.1 (see screenshot) nor with frisbee-2.0.2.
In frisbee-2.0.2, as described, the Diagnostics button does not work.

Attachments
Screenshot-frisbee.png
Screenshot-frisbee.png (60.44 KiB) Viewed 427 times
ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@fr-ke - I think changing the kernel is necessary - I was able to use frisbee once I did that. With the original 6.1.76 kernel, I got same result as you.

Return to “BookwormPup”