How to determine version of FOSSAPup64 and update?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

RealGomer

How to determine version of FOSSAPup64 and update?

Post by RealGomer »

I haven't touched my little laptop running FOSSAPup64 in over a year, so I've forgotten a lot about Puppy Linux. So, to help fresh this old man's decrepit memory...
1) How does one determine the version of FOSSAPup?
2) How does one update FOSSAPup if running an older version?
Thank you much!

pp4mnklinux

Re: Determine version of FOSSAPup64 and update

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello:

I dont know if this can be useful for you or solve your neccessities, but I can find information about the distro I have installed looking at the file.

/etc/DISTRO_SPECS (you must go to your file manager and in the VIEW option activate SHOW HIDDEN FILES.

Hope it helps you.

Have a nice day.

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

wizard

Post by wizard »

Menu>System>Pup-Sysinfo>Sys-Specs

2) How does one update FOSSAPup if running an older version?

You would just install a newer version, although with Puppy it's not necessary to do rolling or periodic updates as with other operating systems. Many users are running 4-5 year old installs. You might want to update your internet browser to its latest version.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi RealGomer,

To determine almost anything about your operating system open Menu>System>PupSys-Info, then click one of the tabs. The Sys-specs>Distro Specs will tell you the Version, among other things.

Not having touched Fossapup64 in over a year it's likely you haven''t gone far from the stock version you first downloaded and installed. Menu>Setup>Quickpet --then I think update, I'm not currently running 64-9.5-- will install anything recommended.

Except for Web-browsers, that's really all you need to do. You could review the "Fossapup User Contributed Packages" Section for new applications or updated versions; and the "Fossapup Tips & Tricks" for possibly more recent advice. There's other things you could do but not easily. For example, you could swap kernels to a newer one. I don't think Quickpet offers any new applications; but you check to see if there's anything you want.

Web-browsers: IIRC, fossapup64-9.5 came with palemoon somewhere around version 28. You might be able to get away with that for some time. Websites are wary about allowing access to 'old-web-browsers' and more and more websites deny access to it, and palemoon in general. And updating the builtin version of palemoon, though possible, is more complicated than replacing it; that is leave it alone, obtain another web-browser, and use Menu>Setup>Default Application Chooser to set you new web-browser as the default.

For Web-Browsers, I strongly recommend MikeWalsh's portables. This page provides links to the all he's made available, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 734#p48734. Read the specific instructions from the download link's page. But in general you don't install portables. You download the tar.gz/tar.xz, Right-Click then that select UExtract or pExtract from the pop-up menu, then move the extracted folder wherever you want: /mnt/home --the partition on which your puppy resides-- is a good location to conserve RAM. Some --palemoon, firefox, seamonkey-- will auto-update. Others --Google-Chrome, and Chromium-clones-- can be updated if you SFS-load the devx.sfs. All are self-contained: your book-marks, addons, settings and --especially important-- web-cache is written to the portable folder keeping it out of RAM.
Each as its advantages and disadvantages. Don't hesitate to ask questions about them.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Fossapup64 9.5 is the only version for Fossapup64.

So you have that.

The program Quickpet (icon on desktop)
Quickpet -> Info -> Fossapup updates

This will give you any updates and bug fixes to Fossapup64 that you need to make.

For the web browser.

Any updates to it need to be done by what it uses to make updates to it.

Depends on the browser how to do that.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

FredBassett

Re: How to determine version of FOSSAPup64 and update?

Post by FredBassett »

Thank you one and all. Apparently I did something because Fossapup64 appears to be the latest build. I guess volunteering to walk dogs at the local shelter made Fossapup happy. Oh, and I did get Pale Moon updated.

Return to “Fossapup64”