F96-CE_2 Stable Release

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

F96-CE_2 Stable Release

Post by rockedge »

F96-CE_2 is released! @radky has exceeded all expectations and the results are outstanding. Producing a well balanced general purpose Puppy Linux distro.

ipv6 support has been compiled into the kernel and F96-CE_2 can now resolve IPv6.

F96-CE is outfitted with kernel 6.0.12-FP and is AUFS layered. Built from a base foundation Fossapup64-9.6 generated by woof-CE, F96-CE uses Pkg2 and PPM for package management and has many of the usual Fossapup64 applications and features.
F96-CE_2 Changelog:

• Adjust failed CD/USB boot modes. F96-CE now supports UEFI and Legacy MBR boot modes when installed to (1) CD optical media or (2) USB media formatted by Rufus or Unetbootin. (thanks wizard)
• Adjust 6.0.12-FP kernel support of IPv6 - which also precludes prior firewall ip6tables activation errors
• Adjust firewall_ng to fully support IPv6 extended packet matching (thanks dimkr)
• Adjust implementation of Apply/Cancel functions in firewall_ng. Note: Using the firewall tray icon to turn the firewall OFF does so in a non-persistent manner. However, stopping the firewall via the 'Firewall Setup' dialog persists after rebooting. (thanks Overdrive5 and dimkr)
• Adjust MIME-type handler for matroska (mkv) video files (thanks Jinx)
• Adjust save/restore functions of ALSA audio volume when booting/rebooting (thanks thinkpadfreak)
• Add F96-compatible components of 666philb's original F95 bugfix update of fossa quickpet applications (thanks oldaolgeezer)
• Add dummy apulse file which enables audio for some older ALSA-dependent applications in the pulseaudio/pipewire environment (thanks dimkr)
• F96-CE includes the CPU Frequency Scaling application (wcpufreq) with an important caveat. Specifically, Intel resources may no longer provide all cpu frequency data, in which case the frequency comboboxes of wcpufreq are empty and the application may be of limited usefulness.
Changelog:
• Add Qualcomm Atheros firmware to fdrv (thanks dimkr)
• Add Bluetooth tutorial to Puppy Help Resources (thanks wizard)
• Add EFI directory and puppy.cer file to the root of the ISO to support the Unetbootin USB installer (thanks wizard)
• Add editable configuration file for pulseaudio (/root/.config/pulse/default.pa) to optionally set or override the default pulseaudio parameters.
• Adjust Bluetooth connectivity (thanks dimkr)
• Adjust Fossa Quickpet to exclude applications not supported by F96-CE (thanks bigpup)
• Adjust play of audio CDs by DeadBeef Music Player (thanks peebee)
• Adjust PPM support of puppy-fossa64-official package repository (thanks peebee)
• Disable Connman automatic updates of Time and Timezone. For users who prefer the original default auto-updates, go to /var/lib/connman/settings and delete the lines pertaining to TimeUpdates and TimezoneUpdates. (thanks thinkpadfreak)
• Update Connman Internet Connection Manger (as generated by the Woof-CE build of fossapup64 on 1 Feb 2023)
• Update 6.0.12 kernel to gcc 9.4.0 (thanks Rockedge)
• Update YASSM Samba Share Mounter to v4.5 (thanks rcrsn51)
• Update nicOS Package Extractor (thanks amethyst)
• Upgrade MPV Multimedia Player with feature and stability enhancements, and add the user-friendly Celluloid GUI (thanks Marv)
• Replace controversial Pale Moon Browser with Firefox-ESR Portable for improved internet access including compatibility with github, YouTube, Netflix, etc. (thanks mikewalsh) Note: For those who prefer a different browser, the Firefox-ESR portable application is self-contained and easily removed.
• The above updates and upgrades (mostly Firefox, MPV, extra firmware, and requisites for Unetbootin) add slightly to the ISO size.

Changelog:
• New Woof-CE build of F96 with multiple infrastructure adjustments (thanks dimkr)
- Improve amdgpu video support in fdrv firmware
- Prioritize SFSs and copy to RAM only while free ramdisk space is >= 64 MB
- Adjust init stack-order of xdrvs (FDRV -> ZDRV -> BDRV -> YDRV -> ADRV)
- Fix IME integration with Chrome browser
- Prevent setup-spot from copying /home/spot to pup_rw
• New build of kernel 6.0.12 with matching gcc for the kernel and devx (compiler friendly)
• Remove browser-bdrv and add portable-Palemoon browser to /opt. After a savefile is created, you may (optionally) move the portable-Palemoon folder to /mnt/home and symlink back to /opt. This arrangement will protect your savefile from the burden of an ever-increasing browser cache. Alternatively, if you prefer a different browser, simply remove the self-contained portable-Palemoon folder and install your preferred browser. (thanks mikewalsh)
• The iso contains no default adrv or bdrv (advanced users may create and customize xdrvs for personal use)
• The optional applications-ydrv remains in the iso, but 'essential' apps are now moved to the main Puppy-SFS. The ydrv contains almost 30 supplemental apps (/var/packages/ydrv) that many users may find useful. However, if the included ydrv is of no value to you, simply rename or delete the ydrv - then reboot.
• Fix CUP-PDF printing
• Adjust compatibility with qemu and qemu_gui
• Update PKG package manager to v2.0.9 and adjust the gpkgdialog GUI for improved user interaction
• Update Openssl to the following securtiy release: openssl 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.16
• Update Puppy Help resources
• And many additional adjustments to improve the desktop experience
F96-CE Web Page

The download links ->

F96-CE_2.iso
SHA1-MD5_F96-CE_2-iso.txt

devx_fossapup64_9.6.sfs
SHA1-MD5_devx_fossapup64-9.6.txt

kernel_sources_fossapup64_9.6.sfs
SHA1-D5_kernel_sources_fossapup64_9.6.txt
Gnimmelf

Re: F96-CE_2 Latest Stable Release

Post by Gnimmelf »

Hi again

still cannot make my main browser viewtopic.php?p=59662#p59662 Brave work?
it works in imppup viewtopic.php?t=4138

iron viewtopic.php?t=771 works

i tried to move it to mnt/home didnt work? it seems that it has al the right permissions?

im on a lenovo ideapad gaming.

kindly Gnimmelf

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

F96-CE_2 ISO File downloaded and booted via QEMU and SG2D without issues. All is well start to finish for me.

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Gnimmelf wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:57 am

still cannot make my main browser viewtopic.php?p=59662#p59662 Brave work?

Hello.
I don't use Brave. But I got interested, because Chrome works on F96-CE.
I downloaded brave-browser_1.48.171_amd64.deb, unpacked it, and made the contents into an sfs.
I was able to run Brave with the following command:

Code: Select all

# run-as-spot brave-browser-stable --disk-cache-dir=/tmp
Marv

Post by Marv »

Brave run from @mikewalsh portable runs fine in F96-CE_2, as do the portable Slimjet and un-googled chromium. They all run as spot and use /home/spot, which has spot:spot permissions.

CUPS-PDF printing working now, If you have that installed from CE_1, delete it (in CUPS) and reinstall.

First boot here is savefile-less but I'll enable and create a little savefile and play with it in the SSD install and a USB install. Two new Sanyo USB 3.1 flash drives to play with :)

I checked my ydrv before booting and I only have PCManFM, a true evince, and HPLIP added there along with themes, panel, wallpaper and some shortcuts and links to portables and often used directories on my data directory. All of my adds seem ok with CE_2 and that makes lazy me happy.

Firefox ESR fires right up but so far doesn't seem inclined to import HTML bookmarks from my chromium trio. I'll leave it in for simplicity but unless I kill ALL of the Data directories on my six laptops plus a backup or two I won't use it. At any rate, I like that as a choice for a starter browser and it makes for a nice complete rescue pup on a USB flashdrive.

Posting from Slimjet portable in _CE_2 now.

So far so good here & Thanks :!:

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

peebee

Post by peebee »

I suggest the ydrv should be renamed as the adrv (applications) and the ydrv 'reserved' for system patches - see viewtopic.php?t=5818

I did this locally and it seemed to be AOK....

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

keniv

Post by keniv »

Have downloaded F96-CE_2. Same install as previously i.e. manual frugal to hdd partition formatted ext3 booting with grub4dos. All appears to have gone well. Posting from it now. Still using same save file and wondering if I should make a new one.

Regards,

Ken.

gychang

Post by gychang »

nice, installed frugally to internal SSD and works without obvious issues so far in BSPWM window manager with tint2. :thumbup2:

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

radky

Post by radky »

peebee wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:05 pm

I suggest the ydrv should be renamed as the adrv (applications) and the ydrv 'reserved' for system patches - see viewtopic.php?t=5818

I did this locally and it seemed to be AOK....

@peebee

During the early development of F96-CE. the use of adrv/bdrv nomenclature was repeatedly (and firmly) rejected by forum members for various reasons. Consequently, the current ydrv designation was chosen as a possible compromise, though not compliant with conventional Woof-CE protocol. At this point, switching to the adrv nomenclature would likely rekindle controversy once again, but I'm sure @rockedge could rename ydrv to adrv if the community is in agreement.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@peebee I agree with @radky and will leave the system alphabet drives as is and we can revisit the pro's and con's of peebee's suggestion with no stress. If there is an indication that community can come to an agreement on the renaming, we can always change it.

For now I am really enjoying F96-CE_2 and must say radky has really brought out the shine and smoothed the operation with F96-CE_2 running fast and with instant response.

Marv

Post by Marv »

rockedge wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:51 pm

@peebee I agree with @radky and will leave the system alphabet drives as is and we can revisit the pro's and con's of peebee's suggestion with no stress. If there is an indication that community can come to an agreement on the renaming, we can always change it.

For now I am really enjoying F96-CE_2 and must say radky has really brought out the shine and smoothed the operation with F96-CE_2 running fast and with instant response.

I think anyone who is going to run their own (or @peebee ydrv if one surfaces) with this can surely manage renaming the supplemental ydrv in the iso to adrv so let's let that sleeping pup lie on this and chase other tails. Just my 2 cents.

I pulled my rc.shutdown and shutdownconfig and had a go with a savefile, first on an ssd install and then on a USB install. Both created a small savefile OK and the dialog box at shutdown worked after a reboot with the savefile. Both installs are Grub4Dos on FAT32 boot partitions FWIW. Just a onetime quick test and then back to my custom ydrv only installs. Grub2 worked fine to install to an older flashdrive formatted EXT2 in CE_1 but I was setting up two new flashdrives from jammypup64, had to add an installer, and the Grub4Dos was lighter so....

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I'm in favor of leaving it as it is and not changing the ydrv in adrv :)
Let's not twist the puppy's tail. :thumbup: otherwise he will go to the corners to spoil ;)

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Thanks for adding /root/Startup/sound_state_restore.
However, the execution of the script is still too early for pulseaudio, or the start of pulseaudio is too slow on my machine.

So I added a 5-second pause to the script:

#!/bin/sh
# restore alsa sound settings
sleep 5
[ -s /etc/asound.state ] && alsactl -f /etc/asound.state restore
Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:37 am

I'm in favor of leaving it as it is and not changing the ydrv in adrv :)
Let's not twist the puppy's tail. :thumbup: otherwise he will go to the corners to spoil ;)

I downloaded an LXQt ydrv for Fossapup64 and changed the name to adrv...etc, leaving all the other drive labels intact (this time !). Seems to run fine, but similar issues as before with mounting drives at boot. Using pmount to mount drives at boot is a decent workaround.

BTW, I did manage to add an extra (x) drive in Fossapup64 by editing the init file and I might try the same with F96 in case I want to convert my savefolder to sfs at some point.

fr-ke

Post by fr-ke »

Remove builtin packages is broken (partly)

Because of the split into base.sfs and ydrv, many programs cannot be removed using "Remove builtin packages".

Certainly a mistake from the point of view of a puppy newcomer.

I'm wondering if there's anything against creating a /var/packages/builtin_files directory in ydrv.sfs as well. As content only the files from the ydrv.sfs.

As an experiment, I created a directory /var/packages/builtin_files in ydrv.sfs and copied files from /var/packages/ydrv_files into it. (a symlink also seems to work)

Removing AbiWord with "Remove builtin packages" and then remaster classic worked. AbiWord is no longer included in the new base-sfs.

In the new base.sfs the remaining programs (base and ydrv) can still be removed with "Remove builtin packages".

I haven't found a solution to remove the firefoxbrowser with "Remove builtin packages".
Although for me (because it's very big) this one would be the first candidate for a remaster if I didn't want to use it.

Marv

Post by Marv »

If you are comfortable unsquashing and resquashing the main SFS (pextract and pcompress GUIs work perfectly), firefox is easy to remove as except for a .desktop in /usr/share/applications and a symlink in /usr/bin all of it is carried as a portable directory in /opt. Delete those 3 and resquash and it's gone. I often do remove the inbuilt browser that way but decided to leave firefox as I probably am going to use F96-CE as a USB carry-around install and the inbuilt browser works well in that context.

Puppy

Post by Puppy »

Anyone tried changing clock to 24h is it still making clock numbers darker? And when changing clock font default Sans disappear from selection list.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Puppy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:51 pm

Anyone tried changing clock to 24h is it still making clock numbers darker? And when changing clock font default Sans disappear from selection list.

There is a clock color setting in the same program. everything works great for me
select 24 hours > clock color > apply

Puppy

Post by Puppy »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:55 pm

There is a clock color setting in the same program. everything works great for me

I know that, but is it normal behavior to change clock color when changing clock to 24h?

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Puppy wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:03 pm
Sofiya wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:55 pm

I know that, but is it normal behavior to change clock color when changing clock to 24h?

There, the color is initially dark gray, it changes to it, since you do not select a color, it sets the one that is by default

Gnimmelf

Post by Gnimmelf »

Marv wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:39 pm

Brave run from @mikewalsh portable runs fine in F96-CE_2, as do the portable Slimjet and un-googled chromium. They all run as spot and use /home/spot, which has spot:spot permissions.
/quote]

Gnimmelf wrote:

Thanks!!! that did it - heureka!

how is it that the portables need to run under spot in F96 but runs fine under "my applications" in imppup?

just trying to understand :-)

kindly Gnimmelf

Last edited by Gnimmelf on Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tosim

Post by tosim »

I've frugal installed on an SD card where other Pups reside happily. However, when I attempted to boot F96-CE_2, I got error message
stating must boot kernel first. Tried rebooting twice more, same problem: Below is cut and paste from grub.cfg:
}
menuentry "Puppy fossapup64 9.6" {
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 6004dba9-02e4-4076-9195-cb4052ba10dc
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
linux /F96-CE_2Pup/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=Pups psubdir=/F96-CE_2Pup pfix=fsck,fsckp TZ=MST7
echo "Loading initrd.gz"
initrd /F96-CE_2Pup/initrd.gz
}
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
a lot.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

tosim wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:59 pm

I've frugal installed on an SD card where other Pups reside happily. However, when I attempted to boot F96-CE_2, I got error message
stating must boot kernel first. Tried rebooting twice more, same problem: Below is cut and paste from grub.cfg:
}
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 6004dba9-02e4-4076-9195-cb4052ba10dc
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
linux /F96-CE_2Pup/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=Pups psubdir=/F96-CE_2Pup pfix=fsck,fsckp TZ=MST7
echo "Loading initrd.gz"
}
Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
a lot.

it should be like this

}
insmod ext2
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 6004dba9-02e4-4076-9195-cb4052ba10dc
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
linux /F96-CE_2Pup/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=6004dba9-02e4-4076-9195-cb4052ba10dc psubdir=/F96-CE_2Pup pfix=fsck,fsckp TZ=MST7
echo "Loading initrd.gz"
}

tosim

Post by tosim »

@Sofiya Thanks a lot. Will give it a try in a bit.
Update: Just tried it, got error msg again-something like "premature to end of file" Load kernel first.
Any suggestions, please.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

tosim wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:57 pm

@Sofiya Thanks a lot. Will give it a try in a bit.
Update: Just tried it, got error msg again-something like "premature to end of file" Load kernel first.
Any suggestions, please.

Your UUID (6004dba9-02e4-4076-9195-cb4052ba10dc ) matches the flash drive
UUID can be viewed via Gparted
or command in terminal :
ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid/ or blkid

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (149.31 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tosim

Post by tosim »

I just now changed the grub entry to:
}
insmod ext2
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
echo "Loading initrd.gz"

Will try a reboot shortlt

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

tosim wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:01 pm

I just now changed the grub entry to:
}
insmod ext2
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
echo "Loading initrd.gz"

Will try a reboot shortlt

I see that instead of UUiD in pdrv=Pups but it should be > pdrv=6004dba9-02e4-4076-9195-cb4052ba10dc

}
insmod ext2
echo "Loading vmlinuz"
linux /F96-CE_2Pup/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pdrv=6004dba9-02e4-4076-9195-cb4052ba10dc psubdir=/F96-CE_2Pup pfix=fsck,fsckp TZ=MST7
echo "Loading initrd.gz"

tosim

Post by tosim »

Thanks very much for your help. My reboot from my last post resulted in same error. I will now change that line to what you just posted, and then try reboot.
Update: And still, same error msg: re premature end of file, Load kernel first. I think instead of me continuing to bothering you, maybe I should try an uninstall,
make a new download and try again?

Last edited by tosim on Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

tosim wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:10 pm

Thanks very much for your help. My reboot from my last post resulted in same error. I will now change that line to what you just posted, and then try reboot.

A smart decision that should have been made in the first place.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

tosim wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:10 pm

Update: And still, same error msg: re premature end of file, Load kernel first. I think instead of me continuing to bothering you, maybe I should try an uninstall,
make a new download and try again?

Do you have other puppies on this flash drive loaded? show me the complete grub.cfg file

Return to “F96-CE”