Remove some paywalls

amethyst

Remove some paywalls

Post by amethyst »

This has worked for me with a few news sites. https://12ft.io/

tosim

Re: Remove some paywalls

Post by tosim »

@amethyst Thanks a lot for that url. I had forgotten about it.

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:38 am

This has worked for me with a few news sites.

The idea is pretty simple, news sites want Google to index their content so it shows up in search results. So they don't show a paywall to the Google crawler. We benefit from this because the Google crawler will cache a copy of the site every time it crawls it.
All we do is show you that cached, unpaywalled version of the page.

Another confirmation of the saying that says "everything genius is simple" :)
However, it doesn't seem to work with new articles. Perhaps they haven't had time to cache yet. I checked on the Welt site (oddly enough, the site seems to be banned in Russia, but all politicians and TV presenters quote it; that is, you must first be able to enter it at all). Welt+ article "Sanktionen: Deutsche Chips in Putins Panzern?"
It didn't work. Of course I read the article, but in other ways.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Grey wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:24 am
amethyst wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:38 am

This has worked for me with a few news sites.

The idea is pretty simple, news sites want Google to index their content so it shows up in search results. So they don't show a paywall to the Google crawler. We benefit from this because the Google crawler will cache a copy of the site every time it crawls it.
All we do is show you that cached, unpaywalled version of the page.

Another confirmation of the saying that says "everything genius is simple" :)
However, it doesn't seem to work with new articles. Perhaps they haven't had time to cache yet. I checked on the Welt site (oddly enough, the site seems to be banned in Russia, but all politicians and TV presenters quote it; that is, you must first be able to enter it at all). Welt+ article "Sanktionen: Deutsche Chips in Putins Panzern?"
It didn't work. Of course I read the article, but in other ways.

It doesn''t work for all, hit and miss (probably more miss than hit but still useful to access some sites which otherwise would not be possible without paying). It's pretty clever the way it works though.

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:29 am

hit and miss

Works with the website of the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera. Well, some letters and symbols are displayed incorrectly, but in general it works.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Grey wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:47 am
amethyst wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:29 am

hit and miss

Works with the website of the Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera. Well, some letters and symbols are displayed incorrectly, but in general it works.

Maybe should make a list of successes. The Telegraph and Daily Mirror of UK also works.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”