JRB's Building Utilities including initrd editor

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

JRB's Building Utilities including initrd editor

Post by mikeslr »

MikeWalsh has reposted JRB's small-in-size but large-in-ability tools here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 850#p79850

I think the easiest way to explain them is to repeat JRB's included Readme.txt:

"0_pupbuild_tools contains the following files. If you extract to a linux ext3 or ext2 partiton (can be a usb flash drive) they can be used to edit and rebuild a Puppy4xx or put together a custom sfs file, initrd.gz or iso.

clear-a2-pkg deletes all files and folders in /a2
and /packages

cp_a2_a1.sh copies all files and folders from /a2
to /a1

delete_same_a1-2 compares the contents of /a1 and /a2
and deletes any files in /a1 that match
those in /a2

dir2sfs_nover converts a folder (directory) to an
sfs file (without pup version number)

expandpets.sh extracts the contents of .pets placed
in /packages, combines them and copies
them to /a2 then opens /a2 in ROX.

make_boot_iso files that are placed in /iso_files
will be converted to myiso.iso

open_initrd.sh will extract the contents of an initrd.gz
file placed in /initrd-tree. It will
delete /initrd-tree/initrd.gz after copying
it to initrd.gz1 in the pupbuild folder.

Rebuild_initrd.sh will rebuild initrd.gz from the contents
of /inird-tree.

rm_empty.sh will delete empty sub-folders from any
folder you drag to it.

A typical scenario would be removing seamonkey-1.1.15-v1 from Puppy421 and replacing it with synth's opera10-qt452-flash10.pet:

1. Click on puppy-4.2.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso (or place the cd in your drive and mount it).

2. If you are running puppy421 then copy pup_421.sfs to another location, rename it (pup_421A) and click on it. Otherwise just click on it.

3. Copy all the contents (ctrl+A) to /0_pupbuild_tools/a1

4. Download ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributio ... .15-v1.pet. Change .pet to .tgz, click on the file and extract (with xarchive) to /a2.

5. Click on expandpets.sh.

6. Click on delete_same_a1-2. This will remove seamonkey files from /a1.

7. Click on clear-a2-pkg. This will remove the seamonkey pet from /packages and /a2.

8. Download http://stashbox.org/558016/opera10unite ... lash10.pet and extract it to /a2 as above.

9. Click expandpets.sh and delete pet.specs. If there was a pinstall.sh you would have to open it as text and perform its function manully in /a1.

10. Click cp_a2_a1.sh. This will install Opera in /a1. Note: installing pets this way does not activate the fixmenus command so they will not appear on the menu until this is done. A simple solution is to edit /a1/root/.xinitrc and place the command fixmenus 7 lines from the end just above #exec $CURRENTWM.

11. Drag /a1 to rm_empty.sh and it will delete any empty folders left over from seamonkey/

12. Drag /a1 to dir2sfs_nover and it will create a1.sfs. Rename a1.sfs to pup_421Opera.sfs.

13. Place pup_421Opera.sfs along with boot.cat, boot.msg, help.msg, initrd.gz, isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, logo.16, and vmlinuz from the original iso in /iso_files.

14. Click make_boot_iso. Rename myiso.iso to puppy-4.2.1-k2.6.25.16-opera10.iso and you have your new version of puppy.

Note: First try of the new puplet shows at bootup that /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and /usr/local/bin/defaulthtmleditor disappeared along with seamonkey. I go back and place copies of these two back in /a1, then edit them to set "startopera" as the browser and "geany" as the htmleditor. Then repeat from step 11. Pretty typical, bugfix time.

#jrb-5sep09"

wiak

Re: JRB's Building Utilities including initrd editor

Post by wiak »

From their description, some of these tools sound like they might be more generally useful. I once needed and wrote a rough dir compare with delete difference tool but mislaid/lost it long ago. Useful, for example for possibly slimming down huge firmware set given smaller known working firmware selection list (assuming diff recursive based on same file names). I immediately noted the included delete_same_a1-2 tool, which I'll examine more closely. We'll my need would be similar but with logic reversal concerning what to keep and what to delete...

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Utilities”