S15pup on Ventoy

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

jaje

S15pup on Ventoy

Post by jaje »

I am having problems trying to boot both 64- and 32-bit versions with Ventoy. I have tried multiple flash drives. I am at work, so haven't done a thorough forum search. If there has been a thread on this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: S15pup on Ventoy

Post by rockedge »

I am interested in your problem getting S15 to boot under Ventoy. There is ongoing work to get KLV and the Fossapup F96 series to boot consistantly using Ventoy. We have for example KLV booting fine and with persistence working and then the very next upgraded version will not boot cleanly.

Tracking this down is the goal so the more we know the chances are improved that we can find the cause(s) and make the changes needed so these different distro's all boot smoothly using Ventoy.

I have no problems getting S15, F96 or KLV to boot with QEMU or VirtualBox. No tests yet in a container environment.

peebee

Post by peebee »

jaje wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:51 pm

I am having problems trying to boot both 64- and 32-bit versions with Ventoy. I have tried multiple flash drives. I am at work, so haven't done a thorough forum search. If there has been a thread on this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Clarity has provided some very good info and guide, on exactly how to use Puppy Linux, with Ventoy.
viewtopic.php?p=38449#p38449

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@peebee I don't think the instructions are the problem. We are have issues also with some KLV's but not all. Some F96's but not all. It is apparently a kernel issue, but not 100% sure.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I am having problems trying to boot both 64- and 32-bit versions with Ventoy. ...

It has little to nothing to do with your USB sticks, rather, it a problem that has been around since VEntoy started.

There is only 2 PUPDOG vintages, thus far, that currently boot OOTB from the Ventoy Menu. They are Slacko64s beginning v7.0 and all @fatdog v8+.

If you want to circumvent and boot ALL PUPs and DOGs, (in today's versions), you will need to

1. Put ALL of your ISO files in a folder on the USB named 'BOOTISOS' (DONT WORRY Ventoy will find them without problems)

2. add the SuperGrub2 (SG2D) ISO file to your folder with ISOs

3. boot to Ventoy's Menu

4. Select the SG2D ISO

5. hit the Enter-key on the SG2D Menu allowing it to discover all ISO files

6. Select any ISO file that it list

EXPECT to boot every ISO file you see. If there are any boot issues, these would be PUP/DOG distro issues and will have nothing to do with either Ventoy or SG2D.

I have tested all 64bit DOGs and WoofCE PUPs; they all boot without issue!

I use this USB arrangement for both good housekeeping of all my PUP ISOs and because it is a Frugal setup without any need to extract or corrupt ISO contents.

P.S. There are some recent issues with KLV that are being worked on, currently.

Moral to this story: "Since 2019, all WoofCE PUPs and DOGS boot directly from their ISO files via SG2D without issue while, since Ventoy's introduction, only the 2 mentioned DOG-PUPs do so from Ventoy's Menu listing."

Benefit: SG2D boots everything in this forum while Ventoy expresses to boot ALL distro ISO files. With this USB arrangement, I directly boot EVERY ISO file and IMG file I put in the BOOTISOS folder.

jaje

Post by jaje »

I finally got it to work with SG2D, no problems.

Clarity wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:30 am

It has little to nothing to do with your USB sticks, rather, it a problem that has been around since VEntoy started.

I ran into a bad USB a while back that read and wrote fine, but couldn't boot, so it was the first thing my mind jumped to.

There is only 2 PUPDOG vintages, thus far, that currently boot OOTB from the Ventoy Menu. They are Slacko64s beginning v7.0 and all @fatdog v8+.

I have been booting fossapup64-9.5.iso straight from Ventoy without any issues, that's why I was wondering about S15.

Thanks for the solution!

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Moral to this story: "...., since Ventoy's introduction, only the 2 mentioned DOG-PUPs do so from Ventoy's Menu listing."

I just booted bionic32, fossa64 and tahr32 from a Ventoy USB drive.

However, S15Pup64 did NOT boot from Ventoy. But it works fine with ISObooter, as does everything else.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I thank you for both of you and sharing your findings.

There are 4 ways to create a bootable Ventoy USB

1. OOTB, MSDOS wo/Secure-boot

2. MSDOS w/Secure-boot

3. GPT wo/Secure-boot

4. GPT w/Secure-boot

Each creation should boot to its Menu if using Ventoy v80+ on both old and newer PCs.

The Ventoy creation script/ISO will create one of those above; namely:

MSDOS

GPT

No Secureboot

Secureboot

Question

• Which of these did YOU create your Ventoy USB? ... if you remember.

This info could be useful as we continue to use these ease-of-use boot utilities provided us by the open-source community. If will become equally important as WoofCE PUPs continue to mature and secure boot use in the future.

This info is helpful as I am planning a 2023 Update Forum Guide of Ventoy-SG2D safe use especially to show current status of them in the modern 'secure-boot' environments that new users are showing up with in the forum with the modern PCs that have.

Please share that info as I think it would be valuable.

Last edited by Clarity on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I built my Ventoy flash drive using the standard commands

Code: Select all

sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -i /dev/sdb
mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 

It was tested on both BIOS and UEFI machines. The UEFI machine had Secure Boot turned off, but that should not be an issue.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

[*]boot to Ventoy's Menu
[*]Select the SG2D ISO

Two different third party apps to boot a the new puppy ?
why not support boot methods developed by puppy contributors?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@williwaw The forum developers are a limited resource in the open source community supporting "all things Puppy-DOGs".

The discussion, here, are about open-sources helpers to reduce the workload on development, here, AND most importantly, to reduce the effort of users to get their forum distros to boot to desktop.

No forum development is needed or impacted by using any of the ISO file boot helpers. Users who use the helpers only need to download their forum distros and boot directly.

If you are developing another solution for member use, please present it. Currently in this community there are 3 helpers we discuss. Your would be welcome, should you provide another, I'm sure.

gychang

Post by gychang »

Thanks!

On my UEFI PC, without secure boot, FP64 and BP64 boots fine but S15pup does not. Maybe Ventoy has not been tested and optimized for S15pup... On legacy bios all pups boot.

Last edited by gychang on Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

jaje

Post by jaje »

I built my Ventoy USB using their "VentoyGUI.x86_64" script included in the Linux version.

ISObooter does work great with S15 and any other puppy.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

jaje wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:33 pm

ISObooter does work great with S15 and any other puppy.

+1

Clarity

Booting WoofCE PUPs on Ventoy

Post by Clarity »

Hello @jaje & @gychang

jaje wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:33 pm

I built my Ventoy USB using their "VentoyGUI.x86_64" script included in the Linux version....

Which of the 4 options (shown here) did you create your Ventoy USB with?

And, anyone else who is reviewing this thread who have Ventoy USB sticks, let me know which you built and any observations you might have noticed.

Everyone knows that SG2D and ISObooter works with forum distros.

Trying to identify which WoofCE or DOGs might run into boot issues via Ventoy's Menu. @fatdog has had this sorted out for years, as well as Slcako64 since v7+.

Thanks in advance for your sharing your info.

jaje

Re: Booting WoofCE PUPs on Ventoy

Post by jaje »

Clarity wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:24 pm

Which of the 4 options (shown here) did you create your Ventoy USB with?

I ran "VentoyGUI.x86_64" on my GPT partitioned computer with no Secure Boot, and no Windows at all.

tosim

Post by tosim »

@Clarity As you may recall, I wrote the initial Ventoy topic(but I am NOT the master!). I have had several( about 8), SDHC cards and/or flash drive suddenly turn to "Read only", and cannot unlock any of them, using chmod and chown.
Only various Puppies were on most, but 1 or 2 had other Linux OS's also. I dl'd the initial Ventoy and then installed it. The others were each from a newer v , and installed right from Ventoy website on my browser. All ran well for several times, then they
"locked-up" BTW-All were first ran with gparted, msdos, Ventoy did the rest.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

hI @tosim

tosim wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:09 pm

@Clarity As you may recall, ... then they "locked-up" ...

This sound like something going on within your OS(s) that is affecting your removables. Which OS are you using?

Other questions to consider

• When you say "locked up" does this mean you cannot write to them to add ISOs...or something else./

• Or are you saying that when trying to repurpose a removable, GParted wont allow you to do so?

If this is happening with all of your removables, there must be function somewhere in your system(s) that is flipping your removables to a read-only status as if there is a physical switch on the units to make them 'locked'.

Several years ago I had a USB stick that, for the life of me, I could NOT unlock. This was a vendor product USB given me that I tried to understand and unlock...to no avail. After repeating attempts over several months using all sorts of techniques found in/out of the forum, I gave up and discarded it. About a month ago, I ran across a video where I watch someone unlock this type of vendor locking, but, for the life of me, I cannot find it in my history.

of the 50 or so USB sticks and etc. that was the ONLY unit ever that I encountered that exhibited that 'locked; behavior in my 3 decades of use.

Other members may know of techniques to unlock USBs that are locked by some mechanism.

BTW: Did you accidentally encrypt them or run some locking software?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @tosim

Did you ever sort this issue?

Reason I ask: I think you are referring to a issue with WoofCE PUPs when on desktop after ventoy boot. Is that correct?

If so, this was reported as a bug, then changed after discussion.

Let me know.

Return to “SPups”