My impression of Fossa pup versus Bionic pup

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

wnewbury

My impression of Fossa pup versus Bionic pup

Post by wnewbury »

I used fossa pup 64 for a short time then returned to bionic pup. I hated the picture of that ugly cat on fossa pup desktop. This is a poor reason to change but I like Bionic pup. It works well for me. The sound would never go loud enough on fossa pup. I assume fossa is newer? Shouldn't it be better? What am I missing? Thanks.

geo_c

Re: fossa pup versus bionic pup

Post by geo_c »

wnewbury wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:55 am

I used fossa pup 64 for a short time then returned to bionic pup. I hated the picture of that ugly cat on fossa pup desktop. This is a poor reason to change but I like Bionic pup. It works well for me. The sound would never go loud enough on fossa pup. I assume fossa is newer? Shouldn't it be better? What am I missing? Thanks.

I've used both. They are both really good OS's. Both are made better by updating certain utilities with pets available on the forum. Like the latest JWMdesk for instance.

There is a setting in the alsawizard2 utility to boost the sound 20db. A lot of OS's probably do that automatically, but it needs to be set in fossapup That fixes the sound issue.

Fossapup is more up to date and a new one is coming out with the working name F96 (short for fossapup64_9.6), which should be ready pretty soon. I've been running fossapup for three years, and it convinced me right away to get rid any Windows OS's I still had installed.

Many people like Bionic, so if it works for you use it. The main thing is a puppy is built using packages from certain distros and the repositories of those distros are available to install new application packages. Fossapup being based on Focal Fossa has two more years of Ubuntu repository maintenance left on it. I don't know about Bionic though.

Newer pups are coming out this year. There's S15, F96, and the psuedo-full install "weedogit" distros like KLV. Then there's vanillaDpup, which is a basic but versatile OS meant for those who don't want a lot applications built in up front.

I have installs of all of these OS's. Fossapup and KLV are my daily drivers. But on one of my 32bit machines I'm still running Bionic.

The main consideration running the older puppies is browser compatibility, which as browsers move forward, some libraries and components become problematic.

Once a puppy OS is running solid on a certain set of hardware, it will always be solid on that hardware. Just make sure you have a backup save before you feel like fiddling around with experimental applications and break something, and then you can revert back to your previous dependable running system.

Last edited by geo_c on Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Makoto

Post by Makoto »

Also, it should probably be noted that you can always change the desktop wallpaper. :mrgreen:

[ FossaPup64 9.5, Frugal install ]

wizard

Post by wizard »

Here's a howto to increase the sound volume.

Low-Volume-Fix.doc
(19 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Makoto wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:23 am

Also, it should probably be noted that you can always change the desktop wallpaper. :mrgreen:

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (75.22 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

The screenshot shows various graphics located in /usr/share/backgrounds displayed by opening Menu>Desktop>JWMDesk, Click the Background Tab. Both fossapup64 and bionicpup64 have JWMDesk and offered several wallpapers in addition to the default. [I really hated bionicpup64's default. Changing it was part of my Initial Setup Routine]. You can place any graphic in /usr/share/background and then choose it as your Wallpaper. In fact, the graphic doesn't have to be there. Clicking the Toolbar at the top will take you to any folder. But keeping new Wallpaper you download or create in ...background makes life easier.

Bionicpup 32-bit (Upupbb) uses theming rather than JWMDesk. The GUI to change wallpaper is different. But it also accesses /usr/share/background by default.

If there's no good reason to rush deciding between fossapup and bionicpup, I recommend waiting until F-96 (fossapup-9.6) is finalized. It runs much faster and can use newer applications. Since 'frugal' Puppys only need a folder I run several. Bionicpup64 is first on my boot-menu; hence remains the Puppy I boot into most of the time. I'm posting from it now. But Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (to which it is binary compatible) has reached EOL. That only means Ubuntu won't be publishing updates and even existing applications will have been archived and difficult to access. No 'biggy' as the only thing you'll likely need to update is a web-browser; and Web-browsers published by Puppy Devs still can be run from Xenialpup64 which came into existence 6 years ago. Tahrpup, published 8 years ago, however, has difficulty with most current web-browsers. [If your bionicpup is the 32-bit, then your decision may be easier: finding fully functional 32-bit Web-browsers gets more difficult every day].

But if you are in a rush, try S15Pup64, viewtopic.php?p=71034#p71034. I generally run Puppys based on Ubuntu or debian because more applications are published for those 'Major Distros'. So I was pleasantly surprised by the many applications I've accumulated which S15 could run; and importantly, some application in every category. S15Pup64 is a solid operating system which, among my puppys, provides the best sound and graphics on my desktop.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

If there's no good reason to rush deciding between fossapup and bionicpup, I recommend waiting until F-96 (fossapup-9.6) is finalized. It runs much faster

Interesting, have to try this speedster then ....

Last edited by amethyst on Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizard

Post by wizard »

If you want to try a little more upscale version of Fossapup64, look here. It already has the sound volume fix, many more backgrounds, plus other enhancements.
viewtopic.php?t=4681

And remember, you can make Puppy look like almost anything :mrgreen:

Attachments
puppy-linux11d.jpg
puppy-linux11d.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

wnewbury

Post by wnewbury »

You people are the greatest. Thank you so much. Somehow I forgot about changing the graphic/wallpaper.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just a gentle reminder that pretty much everything about what a Puppy looks like can be changed, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewforum.php?f=100. And something I do which others might not. I replace the default SAVE icon with one which 'blends into' the wallpaper or 'theme". For example, the Save icon on my Voidpup's wallpaper --just the outline of a Puppy-- is a bone; that on a jungle-themed wallpaper a chameleon. Just obtain or create an icon, place it somewhere --/usr/share/pixmaps is an easily remembered location-- then Right-Click the current desktop Save icon, Select "File-Save">Set Icon and drag your new icon into the GUI which opens.

houndstooth

Post by houndstooth »

@wnewbury I tried them both & Fossa simply runs better. That's my top criteria. Unless I need another os for compatibility, smooth running is my default.

I'm also allergic to cats, if 16:10 backgrounds look good on your display:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

houndstooth wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:36 am

@wnewbury I tried them both & Fossa simply runs better. That's my top criteria. Unless I need another os for compatibility, smooth running is my default.

I'm also allergic to cats, --emphasis supplied-- if 16:10 backgrounds look good on your display:

You can take the jpg from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 181#p77181, and overlay it onto any wallpaper which displayed cats. But don't expect any future advice from me. :lol:

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

wizard wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:10 pm

Here's a howto to increase the sound volume.
Low-Volume-Fix.doc

wizard

When I make these changes they don't 'stick' for me. Is there a file I can edit manually to do this? thanks

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mow9902

Will have to do some testing, here is a thread with info on ways to boost the audio. i have used the asound.conf preamp solution on several Pups including Fossapup64. It may take several reboots before the preamp appears.
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1563

wizard

houndstooth

Post by houndstooth »

I have other versions of the Fossa background with the lettering which sort of gives it the official look. Those were my 1st two.

'Course there are more than a couple ways to skin a cat.

Sky Aisling

Post by Sky Aisling »

Hi Folks, [solved]
Where can I find an updated version of Upupbb(32)? That is Bionicpup(32), right?
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Edit: I found it! https://sourceforge.net/projects/zestyp ... t/download
Sky

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mow9902

When I make these changes they don't 'stick' for me. Is there a file I can edit manually to do this? thanks

After testing Fossapup64 9.5 on several computers I can confirm that the Alsa Sound Wizard procedure for boosting sound volume does:
1. not boost the volume
2. not retain the settings for the Equaliser/20db preamp on reboot

soundwizard.jpg
soundwizard.jpg (21.65 KiB) Viewed 1409 times

Check this post for a revised howto to boost sound volume:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=7896

Thanks
wizard

peebee

Post by peebee »

Sky Aisling wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:27 am

Where can I find an updated version of Upupbb(32)? That is Bionicpup(32), right?

also:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 989#p76989

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

wizard wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:08 pm

After testing Fossapup64 9.5 on several computers I can confirm that the Alsa Sound Wizard procedure for boosting sound volume does:
1. not boost the volume
2. not retain the settings for the Equaliser/20db preamp on reboot
soundwizard.jpg
wizard

That's interesting, because I use a lot of laptops, toshibas, HP, and Dell, and the 20db boost does work and stick, HOWEVER, I've installed several pet packages over the last year, like:

alsa-lib-1.2.6.pet
alsa-utils-1.2.6.pet
alsacap-gui2-2.0_noarch.pet

I don't remember where I found these, or if they have anything to do with the fact that the volume boost works for me on Fossapup64_9.5

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wizard

Post by wizard »

@geo_c

Geo, try a unaltered Fossapup64 9.5 and see what happens. If you can test and document procedure and hardware I'll try to confirm. It was a no go for me on a desktop and laptop.

Thanks
wizard

captainkennway

Re: My impression of Fossa pup versus Bionic pup

Post by captainkennway »

I was using puppy 7.5 and just changed to fossa, I believe I installed the latest version available. Works pretty well and I like the look and the way I can adapt the settings, just changed the background, am a noob windows user though :') . Will appreciate any further suggestions and heads up from pro guys. I am using it for regular tasks but have to stick to my Win. for other stuff, generally work with DAWs and I've been reading somewhere, some of my interfaces (scarlet Focusrite 2i2) doesn't support Linux.
Anyways getting back to Fossa, it's pretty light and fast on my old device, am pretty satisfied with it as Win. user, hope I can get more out of it in near future.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@captainkennway :-

Hallo.....and :welcome: to the "kennels".

If you work with DAWs, you might be interested in taking a look at Studio 13.37. This is a dedicated Puppy DAW, crafted by one of our old-timers (10wt3ch - no longer with us, sadly). It was originally based around Slackware 13.37, hence the name.....but it's been updated a few times since. The very last build that its author released was based around Fossapup64's immediate predecessor, Bionicpup64.

It might be a few years old now, but it's still a masterpiece, and worth keeping a working copy of this set-up on a flash drive. I snagged a copy of it before the links vanished, which you can find at my Google Drive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ofBsJ ... OY9ahbobyx

There's two versions there; the straight ISO file, or the 'unzip-to-USB-stick' tarball. Both will work just as well; if you put this on a flash drive, you'll need to set up a bootloader anyway...

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

From your post and a little googling about DAWS and scarlet Focusrite 2i2 I suspect you're particularly interested in music. Before you get "deep in the weed" with Fosspup64, you might want to try out its specialized remaster by puddlemoon named Jackalpup, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 8163#p8163.

Regarding scarlet Focusrite 2i2, see this post: https://sanderson.band/2017/09/04/focus ... me-studio/. Jack is builtin to jackalpup. [Maybe that's what inspired its name]. I don't know if Audacity -- which sanderson used to support Focusrit 2i2-- is included in jackalpup. But it's usually simple to install. Fossapup64 and Jackalpup are binary compatible with Ubuntu Fossa Focal, and can directly access its repositories. However, 'binary compatible' does not mean 'identical' or 'cut down versions'. Puppys employ a unique 'infra-structure'. Consequently, components which their 'binary compatible' used may be missing and have to be added.

Other fans who actually employ Jackalpup can guide you further. Just ask on it's thread.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@captainkennway

If you've not already done so, check here for good info:

wizard

captainkennway

Post by captainkennway »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

Hallo.....and :welcome: to the "kennels".

If you work with DAWs, you might be interested in taking a look at Studio 13.37. This is a dedicated Puppy DAW, crafted by one of our old-timers (no longer with us). It was originally based around Slackware 13.37, hence the name.....but it's been updated a few times since. The very last build that its author released was based around Fossapup's immediate predecessor, Bionicpup.

It might be a few years old now, but it's still a masterpiece, and worth keeping a working copy of this set-up on a flash drive. I snagged a copy of it before the links vanished, which you can find at my Google Drive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ofBsJ ... OY9ahbobyx

There's two versions there; the straight ISO file, or the 'unzip-to-USB-stick' tarball. Both will work just as well; if you put this on a flash drive, you'll need to set up a bootloader anyway...

Mike. ;)

Hey there I have heard about this one, thanks for sharing, is there any detailed instruction where I can understand how to use these files on my fossapup? I tried to do so, it seems I am doing it wrong though.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@captainkennway

So this topic does not turn into a topic to help you.

Please start your own topic in the Beginners Help section about your issues and questions.
More people will see it and you will get better help if the topic is only talking about you and your computer.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

captainkennway

Post by captainkennway »

mikeslr wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

From your post and a little googling about DAWS and scarlet Focusrite 2i2 I suspect you're particularly interested in music. Before you get "deep in the weed" with Fosspup64, you might want to try out its specialized remaster by puddlemoon named Jackalpup, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 8163#p8163.

Regarding scarlet Focusrite 2i2, see this post: https://sanderson.band/2017/09/04/focus ... me-studio/. Jack is builtin to jackalpup. [Maybe that's what inspired its name]. I don't know if Audacity -- which sanderson used to support Focusrit 2i2-- is included in jackalpup. But it's usually simple to install. Fossapup64 and Jackalpup are binary compatible with Ubuntu Fossa Focal, and can directly access its repositories. However, 'binary compatible' does not mean 'identical' or 'cut down versions'. Puppys employ a unique 'infra-structure'. Consequently, components which their 'binary compatible' used may be missing and have to be added.

Other fans who actually employ Jackalpup can guide you further. Just ask on it's thread.

Thanks alot mate, worked like a charm! So my 2i2 2nd gen got introdued to "Ardour" through "Jack Audio Connection", this is officially my first raw sound recording on a Linux distro. and I'm so excited. Ardour is quite familiar to my eyes. I love Internet :mrgreen:

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (351.42 KiB) Viewed 364 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

With regard to Studio 13.37, you simply install it like you would any other Puppy. It's a complete Puppy OS, based around Bionicpup64, with all the multimedia stuff built-in & available OOTB. The beauty of this is that it can be installed to a fast, good-quality flash-drive - or a portable HDD/SSD - and there you are; you have a completely 'portable' DAW you can carry with you and boot from any computer.

Once "up-and-running", you'll discover the main Menu is quite extensive.....and VERY "well-stocked"! Image

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Users”