VanillaDpup32 gg-HackPets

Moderators: dimkr, Forum moderators

greengeek

VanillaDpup32 gg-HackPets

Post by greengeek »

While I am learning to use VanillaDpup32 I am using software that is not strictly speaking "right" for VanillaDpup - in other words it may be software that I did not download via apt or PPM, and it is not software compiled on VanillaDpup.

In that sense i am breaking all the rules so please don't use these pets unless you understand the risks.
(My VDPup does not use persistence at the moment so I can take these risks with little negative impact)

Audio:
- PlayMusic from Thunor: viewtopic.php?p=74550#p74550

Browser:
- Ungoogled Chromium: viewtopic.php?p=75296#p75296

Last edited by greengeek on Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
greengeek

Re: VanillaDpup32 gg-HackPets

Post by greengeek »

Basic audio playing:
I love the ease with which VanillaDpup lets me hook up my Bluetooth speaker so I needed a method of playing music.
I did not want to add anything big like mplayer or ffmpeg (not yet anyway...) so all I needed was a utility to play wav files. VanillaDpup has two utilities that can play wavs: aplay and wavplay
This pet from Thunor can handle all sorts of different players so is quite happy to use either aplay or wavplay even in the basic VDPup ootb. Just point the PlayMusic gui to your music directory and it will sort through and find the wavs.
No other hefty software needed!
(But it can handle mplayer too if you want to add that later to allow mp3 playing)

PlayMusicGui.jpg
PlayMusicGui.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 414 times
playmusic-noarch.pet
(16.98 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
greengeek

Re: VanillaDpup32 gg-HackPets

Post by greengeek »

Here are xz and gz versions of my favourite "UnGoogled" Chromium browser:

Seem to work really well in VDPup32

https://www.mediafire.com/file/khq9coeh ... xz-0.7.pet
(75MB)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8ms53as0 ... gz-0.7.pet
(105MB)

Tips:

If needed - click the tiny "eye" icon at the right hand end of the url bar to temporarily activate cookies (if certain sites complain or restrict functionality)

Sites respond differently depending on whether you have been directed there from a Google search or from a Bing search. You will often get better performance if you use Bing search to get to the page you want. (This is because google adclicks etc gets in the way of webpage functionality and is often compulsory if coming from a Google search. Bing does it better in my opinion)

Return to “Vanilla Dpup”