Latest Zoom app not working (bionic 64)

Moderator: Forum moderators

fernan

Latest Zoom app not working (bionic 64)

Post by fernan »

Hello. I'm trying to update the zoom app (since the version from the Puppy Package manager doesn't work anymore), and I can't make it run.

Downloaded the zoom-1_x86_64.tar.xz file from the Zoom web site (since the Ubuntu and Debian packages are labeled "AMD", and AFAIK my computer is not AMD), extracted to /opt directory, and the app doesn't launch. The previous version worked without problems.

Attached is the content of the /root/.zoom/logs/zoom_stdout_stderr.log file.

Any help or hint will be appreciated. Thanks very much.

ZoomLauncher started.
Zoom path is: /opt/zoom
cmd line:
CreateReportChannel bp_server_fd=4
$HOME = /root
export SSB_HOME=/root/.zoom; export QSG_INFO=1; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/zoom; export BREAKPAD_CLIENT_FD=3; /opt/zoom/zoom ""
sh: pactl: command not found
zoom started.
[CZPClientLogMgr::LogClientEnvironment] [MacAddr: XX:edited:XX][client: Linux][OS: bionicpup64 8.0][Hardware: CPU Core:2 Frenquency:2 G Memory size:2878MB CPU Brand:Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz GPU Brand:][Req ID: ]
Linux Client Version is 5.4.2 (53391.1108)
QSG_RENDER_LOOP is
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP = ; GDMSESSION =
Graphics Card Info:: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671 PCIE VGA Display Adapter (rev 10)
Zoom package arch is 64bit, runing OS arch is x86_64
qt.scenegraph.general: QSG: basic render loop
link image0 hasn't been detected!
Could not resolve property : pattern0
ZoomLauncher: new dump generated from pid 5855, path: /root/.zoom/logs/61ba59fe-2070-b599-587c4e85-382308e3.dmp
$HOME = /root
sh: line 1: 5855 Segmentation fault /opt/zoom/zoom ""
success to create child process,status is 35584.
zoom exited normally.
Something went wrong while running zoom,exit code is 139.
ZoomLauncher exit.

Geek3579

Re: Latest Zoom app not working (bionic 64)

Post by Geek3579 »

In previous times i had always downloaded the.deb file from the Zoom site, which worked for months on end. In recent times I have had more issues with ZOOM in Bionicpup64, not helped by ZOOM demanding I use an up-to-date version and not allowing a perfectly good working version to connect.

Tried appimages and .pets but nothing was very stable.

Mikewalsh's PORTABLE ZOOM ( Vs 5.10 ) saved the day. It works well for my in Bionicpup64 + LXDE.
It can be found somewhere in here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=1983

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fernan :-

It's a simple enough fix. I outlined it here:-

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 869#p54869

It's because of the additional 200 MB+ extra directory- 'cef' - that Zoom have seen fit to lumber their app with. For some inexplicable reason, they've gone and added the Electron framework (based around a 'stripped-back' Chromium browser) to everything else. The thing's not far off half-a-gig in size now.....which for a video chat app is just ridiculous.

For anything Chromium-based to run as root, it requires

Code: Select all

--no-sandbox

....adding to the Exec line. And because the launcher contains two 'Exec' lines, as part of an 'if....then' statement, you need to add it twice.

I didn't add it to the launcher for the simple reason that it happens from one particular update onwards, and not everybody is running the current version, by any means! I'd already stopped building every new version by that time, since the portable now contains an updater script.....and the MenuAdd script also adds an entry for the updater mechanism, too. You take care of your own updates now......because it's manual - NOT automatic - it does mean you need to check via rt-clk->About from the tray icon, of course.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

fernan

Post by fernan »

Thanks very much !

I'll try to locate and add those lines to the launch file.

I really hate when something is "updated" to keep doing exactly the same you did before with the old version, and wastes storage space, memory, and STOPS WORKING !! (like some firefox versions!, I had to disable the updates)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fernan :-

You only need to modify the launcher once. It'll carry on working as normal after that, because the update doesn't touch it.....only the zoom directory is changed. Unless, of course, Zoom decide to make yet MORE major modifications without telling anyone.....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

fernan

Post by fernan »

Update:

Adding the "--no-sandbox" option to the app downloaded from the Zoom web site didn't work, so I uninstalled that, and downloaded the portable version linked previously in this thread, and that worked fine.

Thanks very much for your help. We could tag this thread as "solved"

I have to thank again to all you people creating and compiling applications to be used in puppy linux, it would be almost impossible to use this distribution without your help, in the many many years running puppy linux (since version 2.10 I think) I've found that a lot of software downloaded from the Internet doesn't work "out of he box", it always need some debugging and tweaking impossible to do by an average home user. And even today, I use to gave up trying to run some applications.

Return to “Bionic”