Online DAWs....?

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Online DAWs....?

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Just came across this page over at MakeUseOf, and thought I'd share the link to it:-

https://www.makeuseof.com/free-online-m ... cast-daws/

Being of an enquiring mind :D, I'm curious as to whether any of you musicians out there would ever consider trying out an online DAW - where the entire thing runs in your browser? I don't suppose they have quite the functionality of a dedicated, fully-fledged desktop application, but I'm guessing these could prove a good introduction for those wanting to get into such stuff, before they're fully aware of exactly what kind of combo of apps they might ultimately need to acquire.

More and more formerly application-only items are becoming available in online formats.....indeed, increasingly so as time marches on. And they're becoming ever more capable, due to the increasing power of cloud computing/'virtual' CPUs.

Thoughts? How do you guys feel about using something like this?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Re: Online DAWs....?

Post by geo_c »

@mikewalsh

Well those are all interesting, and from looking at their pages, it seems a couple have the ability to record live audio, though I think where they are expected to shine is in the use of virtual instruments using the sound samples on their server. Amped says you can plug microphones in and record, so what is not clear is whether those sounds are recorded to a hard drive on the local machine or buffered in ram and uploaded, which would then depend on the internet connection speed.

I'd say that for those who want to use virtual instruments, these applications should work pretty well, again being limited mostly by network connection speed.

The one that catches my interest is Scribbleton.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c :-

It was only a "what if" type question, of course. The best folks to answer a question like this are those who regularly use such things; until last night, I didn't even know these existed!

It shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise, TBH; the last few years, in particular, more & more activities have been gaining an "online solution", so.....it was going to happen sooner or later.

Cheers.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:54 am

@geo_c :-

It was only a "what if" type question, of course. so.....it was going to happen sooner or later.

Cheers.

Mike. ;)

I'll have to give them a test spin, I'm curious as it would be a great way for my students to get into the 'personal audio engineering' side of things. Myself, I won't even use webmail, so of course I'm going to do 'everything' possible on the local machine when it comes to my personal projects. But it's amazing how well online video and audio is working these days. Zoom is a case in point (although the audio side is their weak spot)

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

the last few years, in particular, more & more activities have been gaining an "online solution", so.....it was going to happen sooner or later.

+1

Time marches, innovation continues to make our lives easier as we take advantage of the available facilities presently.

This is a good example of how our cloud lives integrate with our local lives. In the near term, our lives with combine to be one; both cloud and local. And this subtle movement is a form of the maturing which continues over time.

Thanks as this find has application for both the musicians among us, as well as audio aficionados, etc.

Return to “Multimedia”