'Kodi'.....by any other name!

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

'Kodi'.....by any other name!

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang. Just a brief note that may benefit some of you:-

For those of you who like Kodi, but want to get it running in older Puppies, here's a tip.

I've been playing around with, and setting-up, a copy of Tahrpup 6.0.6 (32-bit). I vaguely remembered that Lassar had built a version of Kodi for Tahrpup, though when I eventually tracked down the thread on the old Forum, I found it was for Tahr64. Some head-scratching ensued.....and then I remembered from the dim, distant early days of my own Puppy journey:-

You can install it directly, from the repos. However; in the days of Tahrpup - and earlier - it wasn't known as Kodi. It was still known by the older name.....XBMC.

Personally, I don't mind that it's an older, Debian-derived version.....v12.x.xxx-something (I forget exactly). It's still got the same, familiar interface, and still runs just as smoothly & glitch-free as the later variants. (If anything, this build is even smoother than later ones; probably because it didn't have quite so many bells'n'whistles in those days, hence less to go wrong!) I believe the project underwent its "re-branding" at some point during Tahr's original life-span, from what I recall.

Anyways; I just thought I'd pass that nugget of information on to the rest of you.....while I thought of it! :D

Hope it proves useful for some of you.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ally

Re: 'Kodi'.....by any other name!

Post by ally »

there are a few 32bit builds on the archive in the forum pets page

:)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ally :-

ally wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:57 am

there are a few 32bit builds on the archive in the forum pets page

Cheers, ally. I may investigate..... :thumbup: Can you point me at them more directly? You know your system better than the rest of us..! :D

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Mike, if you plug "xbmc puppy" into archive.org's search box it will respond with this link to puppys by Emsee and csipesz that had xbmc built-in. Both are precise remasters. https://archive.org/search.php?query=XBMC%20puppy. AFAIK, archive doesn't have a separate pet or SFS. But while running either of those you can use gnewpet viewtopic.php?p=18174#p18174 to capture it.

peebee has an sfs here, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... ther/xbmc/ created for LxPup14.10, a Slacko.

https://rockedge.org/psearch/ may turn up others. But, (a) older &/or (b) I doubt it. I used psearch to find peebee's SFS. Other than that one the references on the first page didn't provide useful leads.

ally

Post by ally »

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Forum_Pets

this page link shows all the forum pets collected F3 or ctrl-f then type kodi to find them easier

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

ally wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:23 pm

https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Forum_Pets

this page link shows all the forum pets collected F3 or ctrl-f then type kodi to find them easier

Cheers, ally; thanks for the search tip. I'll have to remember that for future use! :thumbup:

Much obliged, mi amigo.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

That 'kodi-17.3-tahr32' .pet is just the ticket for Tahrpup 6.0.6. Works brilliantly.....and a wee bit of research shows me it's Lassar's work (as I suspected), so.....thanks, @Lassar !

Cheers, both of ya; Lassar for building it in the first place....and ally for grabbing it and mirroring it (I don't know what we'd do without you!) :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Return to “Multimedia”