How to install vim in puppy?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

mohittomar13

How to install vim in puppy?

Post by mohittomar13 »

Hi I recetnly installed puppy on my laptop and not able to figure out how to install VIM on it. If I choose package installer then it just downloads the .deb files to my /root directory but when I type vim on my console nothing happens and terminal shows vim command not found.

My System Specs:
Laptop: Dell 3568
CPU: intel i3-6006U
RAM: 4GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

CPU: intel i3 6006U
RAM: 12 Gigs
4GB-micron + 8GB-kingston

yeah, it works.. :D
HDD: 1TB
OS: Tripple boot- (Windows-10, Xubuntu-20.4LTs, Bionic Puppy) 64Bit

OscarTalks

Re: How to install vim in puppy?

Post by OscarTalks »

Open Puppy Package Manager (via Menu > Setup)
Update the package database (config button top left of PPM)
Use the Search field in PPM to search for vim
Select vim from the list and allow PPM to display the details
Click the Do It button to install vim plus dependencies
Open a terminal and use the command vim.basic to start vim

EDIT:-
I have compiled the latest vim from source (Version 8.2.1325).
It works with GTK2 GUI in my tests here, much nicer than running within terminal unless that is what you wanted to do.
As a .pet package it is 12 Megs and refuses to attach to this post, but I can upload it somewhere if you would like to try it
mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

Thanks for your help. Using the vim.basic command worked. While I still dont understand why a bunch of .deb files are downloaded to my home directory. I deleted those files after double clicking and selecting the option to install the those .deb packages. I dont want to spam the forum but I guess I would need a lot of help. I'm comfortable using the Ubuntu based distributions and previously was using Kubuntu, but its speed make me sick. Running of a 4Gig ram system the OS seemed to run at snail's speed. I switched to puppy as I had used it before but only superficially.

I also tried to install LAMP but faced difficulty in the 'A' itself. I was able to follow your steps and get hold of Apache but again a bunch of .deb files were downloaded to /root. I repeated myself and installed those by double clicking, later I deleted those files. But apache still doesn't seems to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I am not sure why the .debs are remaining in /root as you describe. I think there is a way of asking the package manager to just download the .debs and not install them, but the normal process is complete installation of package plus dependencies all together from start to finish. Any .debs that are downloaded (to some temporary location) as part of this should be deleted by PPM and not left behind, You should not need to be installing the .debs manually. If it is still happening, perhaps you can describe the exact sequence of steps you are taking which lead to this?

If ever you do download a .deb (or a .pet package) and wish to install it, only a single click (not double) should be required and then follow any prompts or messages.

The Puppy community is usually friendly and will always try to help you. You are not spamming the forum if you are genuinely asking for help with several issues in Puppy. It might be a good idea to start a new thread for LAMP as there is a better chance of someone with some knowledge actually seeing your question.
mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

I changed the option in rox settings to use double click :D that's why double click is needed. Well, thanks again for your quick reply. Let me check if I can google and find a solution for my LAMP problem, otherwise I will create a new thread. As far as .deb package download is concerned I think you are right, these files must not stay after the installation is complete, may be I could find some options in PPM for changing this behaviour. :thumbup2: :thumbup:

ndujoe1

Post by ndujoe1 »

In PPM click on the downarrow and choose download app no install.
mohittomar13

Post by mohittomar13 »

[mention]OscarTalks[/mention]

Finally found the reason why puppy linux is downloading the dependencies and the packages to my /root directory. The reason is, because I choose to do it in PPM :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Instead of choosing Auto install I choose Download Dependencies and Package from the drop down list.

As far as I'm aware I was not drunk the last time I made the post, I think I'm turning crazy. Doing things and forgetting :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your help :thumbup2: :thumbup:

Return to “Beginners Help”