Freenode IRC staff quit

scsijon

Freenode IRC staff quit

Post by scsijon »

Rather than me copying and pasting, i'll give you the source and you can make up your own reading mind.
https://boingboing.net/2021/05/19/freen ... ntrol.html

r96chase

Re: Freenode IRC staff quit

Post by r96chase »

Yeah, I think we should move the Puppy IRC channel to libera.chat too. Let me know when it happens. :thumbup2:

I am a crash-course Linux novice. :lol:

pcplague

Post by pcplague »

https://www.devever.net/~hl/freenode_abuse

freenode #puppylinux is invite only and now we are being redirected to ##puppylinux

Topic for ##puppylinux is: Featuring BionicPup32, also Lubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu MATE 16.04
* Topic for ##puppylinux set by loot (Mon Apr 27 03:13:51 2020)
-ChanServ- [##puppylinux] Notice: This channel will transition to nuclear power over the next few weeks, so please plan accordingly.

<PCplague> JStoker, can you explain what you did and why?
<JStoker> PCplague, The only thing *I* have done, is I've had a brief chat with one of the staffers I knew from before all this mess, and asked if they'd be able to try and fix this channel back together. I've also been just mentioning the situation in here as people've been a bit confused about it all! That's all. :-)
<JStoker> Yeah, I've prodded the last staffer I'm... comfortable talking to, and they're gonna try and sort it out. Might take a little while as they've got a lot of channels to sort through, but they'll sort it when they can. :-)

<PCplague> freenode /msg chanserv access list ##puppylinux
<PCplague> >chanserv< access list ##puppylinux
<PCplague> -ChanServ- Entry Nickname/Host Flags
<PCplague> -ChanServ- ----- ---------------------- -----
<PCplague> -ChanServ- 1 loot +AFORefiorstv [modified 11y 32w 5d ago]
<PCplague> -ChanServ- End of ##puppylinux FLAGS listing.
<PCplague> freenode /msg chanserv access list #puppylinux
<PCplague> >chanserv< access list #puppylinux
<PCplague> -ChanServ- Entry Nickname/Host Flags
<PCplague> -ChanServ- 1 freenode-placeholder-account +AFRefiorstv [modified 1y 6w 2d ago]
<PCplague> -ChanServ- End of #puppylinux FLAGS listing.

All the way from Portugal :thumbup: :thumbup2:

foxpup

Post by foxpup »

r96chase wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 pm

Yeah, I think we should move the Puppy IRC channel to libera.chat too. Let me know when it happens. :thumbup2:

It's been done.
There is now #puppylinux at irc.libera.chat/6697

@01micko (?)
The move should be anounced on the blog or something.
To help people looking for the new place,
and to make it more or less official.

On freenode #puppylinux is effectively unavailable.
You are sent to ##puppylinux with other topic, under control of big bosses and with no future.
You better avoid it.

qkall

Post by qkall »

I've pm'd 01mick about ownership (currently I have founder), but I'm not sure if it didn't work as it's still in my outbox... But I'm holding on it until someone from the staff can take... mrfricks seems to want to wait for 01mick's input.

pcplague

Post by pcplague »

It was open a issue in github for discussion about this #puppylinux irc chat in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ssues/2286 .

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

There is a chat extension for phpbb:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... extension/
Not every people use IRC, maybe some will want to use forum chat?

This chat looks like this:
https://kasimi.net/mchat

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@puppy_apprentice I have been experimenting with this chat extension on a test and development phpBB3 I have running to try out things on before I do them on this forum.

J_Rey

Post by J_Rey »

Hey. I'm the former co-founder of the official Puppy Linux chatroom and was involved when we migrated it to Freenode (after it was integrated into the old forum) more than a few years ago. My nick expired for non-use and, from what I hear, it seems something similar happened with the other co-founder which left the channel without anyone to add/remove operators (like moderators) earlier this year. I suspect that is why we all got kicked out of the official channel (#puppylinux) with the mass cleanup bot (of the new ownership) and are being redirected to the unofficial one (##puppylinux) that has been around for quite awhile. I messaged the founder there & had him add a link to our official IRC wiki page and am planning on editing it to add that we also have a channel at Libera Chat so users could migrate over if they want. There are issues on both sides on how this Freenode split was handled but the bottom line is old Puppy Linuxes are still going to send users to Freenode (still discussing what to do with new releases as per the GitHub link mentioned before) and until someone is a regular they won't care about the history and just want to chat.

So I or others could officially request #puppylinux back on Freenode but without any major issues at ##puppylinux then does it matter? Barry has been long gone so the former unofficial channel could become our official newbie channel (even if not according to Freenode) but after users view the wiki they could switch to Libera Chat (especially if they're already registered there for other projects) or even hang out at both. Then users would still have an alternative place to go (like they have since I was around) if they don't like the server host (Freenode vs. Libera) and their policies or the channel leadership/volunteer staff. So in the spirit of us being a do-cracy and there being enough active users at Libera Chat then lets have 2 chatrooms like there is already. Users will settle where they are the most comfortable and channel leadership at each could be adjusted as appropriate along with server "staff" being available if not enough of a response within our channels. If both channels are maintained reasonably then I'm not sure it matters as much on which server future Puppy releases point to.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

J_Rey wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:06 am

Hey. I'm the former co-founder of the official Puppy Linux chatroom and was involved when we migrated it to Freenode (after it was integrated into the old forum) more than a few years ago. My nick expired for non-use and, from what I hear, it seems something similar happened with the other co-founder which left the channel without anyone to add/remove operators (like moderators) earlier this year. I suspect that is why we all got kicked out of the official channel (#puppylinux) with the mass cleanup bot (of the new ownership) and are being redirected to the unofficial one (##puppylinux) that has been around for quite awhile. I messaged the founder there & had him add a link to our official IRC wiki page and am planning on editing it to add that we also have a channel at Libera Chat so users could migrate over if they want. There are issues on both sides on how this Freenode split was handled but the bottom line is old Puppy Linuxes are still going to send users to Freenode (still discussing what to do with new releases as per the GitHub link mentioned before) and until someone is a regular they won't care about the history and just want to chat.

So I or others could officially request #puppylinux back on Freenode but without any major issues at ##puppylinux then does it matter? Barry has been long gone so the former unofficial channel could become our official newbie channel (even if not according to Freenode) but after users view the wiki they could switch to Libera Chat (especially if they're already registered there for other projects) or even hang out at both. Then users would still have an alternative place to go (like they have since I was around) if they don't like the server host (Freenode vs. Libera) and their policies or the channel leadership/volunteer staff. So in the spirit of us being a do-cracy and there being enough active users at Libera Chat then lets have 2 chatrooms like there is already. Users will settle where they are the most comfortable and channel leadership at each could be adjusted as appropriate along with server "staff" being available if not enough of a response within our channels. If both channels are maintained reasonably then I'm not sure it matters as much on which server future Puppy releases point to.

hi @J_Rey
welcome back :)

it would probably be a good idea to try and secure the old #puppylinux channel as even though we may move elsewhere, older pups do still point there.

J_Rey

Post by J_Rey »

Well, my vote (now that they are making it obvious that they don't care about users & admins with the new Freenode leadership) is that:

• we should make the switch official

• encourage regulars to Libera Chat

• help the casuals that click on the built-in chat and have to end up at Freenode transition over when appropriate

The former official channel has been secured by a former op now that they wiped everything so unless they do that again we should be fine.

pcplague

Post by pcplague »

I agree

Return to “Off-Topic Area”