Linux phones?

Grey

Linux phones?

Post by Grey »

I have used Nokia N900 so far. I don’t even know if it’s a smartphone or a 'mobile Internet device'. Something in between. European assembly, operating system Maemo 5 (almost Debian Linux), FM transmitter. But... The battery is almost dead. I will listen to any advice on what to do.
1. There is an opportunity to buy an "almost real" battery from clever Chinese merchants.
2. Spit on the first point and buy a regular Philips Xenium E182 phone, which will probably last a month on a single charge(there is a full size USB for charging other devices).
3. Alternatives?

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

p310don

Re: Linux phones?

Post by p310don »

I have a couple of N900s. They were great in 2009, and I retired mine in 2018. I have an Android now. For philosophical reasons, I hated going to android, but it is so much better, to be expected with up to date development, vs old hardware and software.

There are current linux phones around, notably the PinePhone. Not sure how good it is, if at all. Otherwise, there are things like SailfishOS for certain phones

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

You might have to give up the smart half of the phone, saving it for a real lappy or desktop. I personally separate the smart and the phone, and get good results... not the best, but good 'nuff. Some folks need an internet detox intervention :shock:

8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

8Geee wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:51 pm

You might have to give up the smart half of the phone, saving it for a real lappy or desktop. I personally separate the smart and the phone, and get good results... not the best, but good 'nuff. Some folks need an internet detox intervention :shock:

8Geee

I'm with you on this. I have consistently found it much better to keep the smart out of phone. I need a durable water resistant phone that can take a beating and still dial, connect and sound clear and rings simple and loud. Nothing more. I have other computer tech on the highest levels that already shift time and space.

Grey

Post by Grey »

I liked the PinePhone that p310don talked about.

PinePhone.png
PinePhone.png (17.03 KiB) Viewed 253 times

OS - no comment.
GPU - my favorite mobile GPU.
But $150-200 for the beta version of device(it is sold with this wording - Beta Edition)...
For now, I'm leaning towards the Philips option.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”