About putting "Solved" in title of post (Solved)

Ideas and discussion

wanthinker

About putting "Solved" in title of post (Solved)

Post by wanthinker »

I'm seeing only a couple of those post who get edited when solved, and have a "Solved" or "(Solved)" in their title...
Should everyone do this or is this up to the OP decision? I don't mind doing it or not but wondering if i should do this on my own post for example, when they are solved.

Just curious about it, thanks in advance for anyone suggestion

Last edited by wanthinker on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Re: About putting "Solved" in title of post

Post by Flash »

Please, if your question was answered or your problem solved, do put (Solved) (at the end of the subject line; putting it at the beginning makes it a bit harder for others to scan through the forum for a problem that might be similar to theirs.)

When I run across a thread that seems to have been answered or solved, I'll add (Solved) to the subject line if it isn't already there, but I can't keep up with all the threads.

Chaos coordinator :?
TerryH

Post by TerryH »

As well as marking first post as Solved, it is also helpful f the OP includes how the issue was solved for others who may experience the same issue.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

wanthinker

Post by wanthinker »

Flash wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Please, if your question was answered or your problem solved, do put (Solved) (at the end of the subject line; putting it at the beginning makes it a bit harder for others to scan through the forum for a problem that might be similar to theirs.)

When I run across a thread that seems to have been answered or solved, I'll add (Solved) to the subject line if it isn't already there, but I can't keep up with all the threads.

Alright, guess I'll do that from now on :)

wanthinker

Post by wanthinker »

TerryH wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:18 pm

As well as marking first post as Solved, it is also helpful f the OP includes how the issue was solved for others who may experience the same issue.

What would be the best way to do that? just editing the first message to include the way i solved it?
Usually the way that some post was solved is in the later pages, so not sure what would be the best way to do that, unless i just specify the page number where the answer is...

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wanthinker Best bet so it shows clearly on filtered searches is to edit the very first post in the topic and add "(Solved)" to the end of the Subject line.

you could also during the first post edit add to the bottom of the text "Update! Solution here -> <add your link to the page>" To have a quick link to the actual post that has the answer. You will see in front of the name of the author a little page icon, copy this as a link which will go directly to that post.

bigpup

Re: About putting "Solved" in title of post (Solved)

Post by bigpup »

Well, a lot of topics read like a story book.
The problem.
The ideas to fix it.
What works and does not work.
Finally the fix.
Posting what fixed it, as the last post by the original person with the problem, kind of puts the last page (finish), to the story!

The main thing is, to tell us all, what you did to fix the problem, that worked!!!!!!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

MochiMoppel

Re: About putting "Solved" in title of post (Solved)

Post by MochiMoppel »

bigpup wrote:

Well, a lot of topics read like a story book.
The problem.
The ideas to fix it.
What works and does not work.
Finally the fix.
Posting what fixed it, as the last post by the original person with the problem, kind of puts the last page (finish), to the story!

A lot of these stories would make a perfect addition to the HOW-TO section. This is how FAQ sections would work. Post a question/problem, then provide an answer/solution. For good reasons users are discouraged to post questions in HOW-TO because HOW-TO starts with a solution to a question/problem that may exist, but it would be nice if "(Solved)" issues may also find their way into the HOW-TO section. Maybe just a link would do?

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”