? Move josejp2424's Dpup-Buster to Mainline ?

Ideas and discussion

mikeslr

? Move josejp2424's Dpup-Buster to Mainline ?

Post by mikeslr »

Hi rockedge & others,

This thread or the issue it raises, viewtopic.php?p=18263#p18263, probably should have been started here.

s243a

Re: ? Move josejp2424's Dpup-Buster to Mainline ?

Post by s243a »

I"d support said move but I don't know if said move would need to be blessed by someone.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Whilst I am a supporter of josejp2424 getting more recognition, I have several installs of his releases. I have a query of his releases being included in the Mainline section at present. My understanding was that section was for releases that have been declared final. Jose does great work and has a large repertoire of releases, but I don't think any have been declared final. They are released as mainly Beta releases and a couple have been RC's.

Edit: Removed incorrect details.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

wiak

Post by wiak »

I pretty clearly (I think) understand that Mainline refers to recipes for builds that are incorporated into woof-CE github scripts. I believe some (if not all?) of Jose's creations were built using woof-CE but until such time as he merges his work into woof-CE at github I suspect they are not 'Mainline'.

I was also wondering similarly about recent Devuan Pup, again built using woof-CE facilities but not I think merged into that.

viewtopic.php?p=17524#p17524

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

There's no official process for this, and nobody in the woof-CE contributors list would oppose this. More scenarios where woof-CE works means less bugs in woof-CE and that benefits all distros built from it.

Quite the contrary - I'd be more than willing to help get this done, and even set up automated builds or releases straight from GitHub.

Just open a pull request in https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE and I'm sure this contribution will be accepted. If nobody is willing to do this, I can steal DISTRO_SPECS, etc' from the Dpup Buster ISO and get it in shape for inclusion in woof-CE.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What is an official Puppy Linux distribution?
A: It must meet two conditions.
1) It must be built using Woof-CE and its build “recipe” should be in woof-distro.
2) It must be endorsed as “official” by the Puppy Master.

Puppy Linux Master Steward - Mick Amadio (01micko).
Role: Appoint which distribution is considered as “Official Release”. Also responsible for puppylinux.com domain as well as main Puppy Linux distribution site in ibiblio.org

This is from the FAQ at:
http://puppylinux.com/faq.html

Also info about other Puppy Linux-like distributions lower down in the FAQ.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

bigpup wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:05 pm

1) It must be built using Woof-CE and its build “recipe” should be in woof-distro.

Agree. YET, I think there is one MORE element that MUST be included:
3) It must be supported and followed by its author.

Reason: There are couple of distro here in puppyland forums that is not followed by the author or acknowledged supporters. Not a common occurance, yet...

Just a mention.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Some of that is the developer of the older Puppy version is now working on a much newer version.
Example:
666philb produced Tahrpup, Xenialpup, Bionicpup, and now Fossapup.
Tahrpup is a Puppy series 6.
Xenialpup is series 7.
Bionicpup is series 8.
Fossapup is series 9.

Fossapup being the latest version has all the fixes, improvements, newer software, newer program versions, etc.......
So, it is being supported more than the others.
If done correctly it is the best of them all to use if it does still support your older computer.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

s243a

Post by s243a »

Regarding support, some developers ask if the issue is a woof-CE issue and if so seem to imply that the issue should be handled in github. Granted not all issues are woof-CE issues such as how to do something on a particular version of puppy or how to get a particular application to work.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Clarity wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:51 pm
bigpup wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:05 pm

Agree. YET, I think there is one MORE element that MUST be included:
3) It must be supported and followed by its author.

Reason: There are couple of distro here in puppyland forums that is not followed by the author or acknowledged supporters. Not a common occurance, yet...

Just a mention.

And of course a distro should not be integrated into community woof-CE unless the author wants that (and that is the over-riding consideration), so depends if josejp2424 wants that. For various reasons they may or may not.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

s243a wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:33 am

Regarding support, some developers ask if the issue is a woof-CE issue and if so seem to imply that the issue should be handled in github. Granted not all issues are woof-CE issues such as how to do something on a particular version of puppy or how to get a particular application to work.

If it's a bug in woof-CE, the best place to handle it is woof-CE and not a manual hack done locally, so all Puppies can benefit from it.

If it's a bug specific to a Puppy or puplet, there's value in using git and getting feedback from other people. Therefore, fixing that bug within the woof-CE repo, even if it's relevant only to a specific build, is a good way to achieve that.

My 2c - it's always better to work closely. Having to chase changes in woof-CE and one-time puplets that don't get updated, are real problems that can be solved by pushing them into woof-CE.

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”