The "Legacy Puppy Section"...What about non-official Puppies

Ideas and discussion

s243a

The "Legacy Puppy Section"...What about non-official Puppies

Post by s243a »

I don't think that the "Legacy Puppy Section" should only apply to official puppies because it is usually the case that Legacy versions of puppy (e.g. Precise) have been maintained by others. For instance @jrb produced (Precise Light), @rerwin produced (Lucid Revitalized), @ttuuxxx produced "Classic Pup", @darry19662018 has upgraded some legacy puppies. For instance he updated puppy 4 to make AnitaOS and I think a jessie version of puppy.

I don't think any of the puppies that I mentioned above are official (but I could be wrong) but Lucid revitalized is in the legacy puppy section. I posted a thread about puppy arcade in the Legacy Section but it got moved to the beginners help section. Perhaps this is because Puppy arcade isn't an official puppy.

A Legacy section could have subsection broadly categorized by puppy versions.

I bring this up because I have a recent interest in updating some legacy versions of puppy. In part I suppose for nostalgia and learning about how things use to be done but it might also result in a smaller version of puppy for a particular application.

mikeslr

Re: The "Legacy Puppy Section"...What about non-official Puppies

Post by mikeslr »

I kind of agree with s243a, But I approach this from another direction. It should be easy to locate discussions about any Puppy in which anyone has an interest. Moving the discussion about Puppy Arcade from the "Mainstream>Legacy Section" to Beginner's Help" is likely to result in its information becoming buried in a couple of weeks.

May I suggest perhaps dividing the Puppy Derivative's "General" Section into two parts: Currently Actively Supported & Legacy. Two purposes would be served: (1) It will be easier in the future to move the thread of a 'No Longer Actively Supported" Puppy to the Legacy Section; and (2) put those interested in 'Legacy' Puppies on notice that they are no longer actively supported.

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”