Signature

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

nic007

Signature

Post by nic007 »

My signature will be an url to my utility suite. How do I show the url as the name of the suite? I can't remember how I did this on the old forum.
mikewalsh

Re: Signature

Post by mikewalsh »

@ Nic:-

Simple.

{URL=XXXXXXXXXXXXX}Name _of_your_suite{/URL}

It's more awkward to demonstrate here than at Murga-Linux, because this new forum software auto-parses anything remotely resembling a URL without you needing to hit the URL button .......but the above will work. Make sure you use small letters all the way through, of course.....and square brackets, NOT the "squigglies".

I have Geoffrey to thank for that trick, years ago when I first started with Puppy..! Hope that helps.

(This one's not even fazed by inadvertent spaces in a URL.....which I discovered a few minutes ago, completely by accident. :shock: :D Remember how posts at Murga-Linux wouldn't show at all if you made that mistake..? This appears to be a lot more forgiving, in that respect.)

EDIT:- BTW, I discovered with the above example that even manually entering it with URL in capital letters, it would still parse it. That's why I had to use the "squigglies" instead, so that the whole thing would show.)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

nic007

Post by nic007 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:07 am @ Nic:-

Simple.

{URL=XXXXXXXXXXXXX}Name _of_your_suite{/URL}

It's more awkward to demonstrate here than at Murga-Linux, because this new forum software auto-parses anything remotely resembling a URL without you needing to hit the URL button .......but the above will work. Make sure you use small letters all the way through, of course.....and square brackets, NOT the "squigglies".

I have Geoffrey to thank for that trick, years ago when I first started with Puppy..! Hope that helps.

(This one's not even fazed by inadvertent spaces in a URL.....which I discovered a few minutes ago, completely by accident. :shock: :D Remember how posts at Murga-Linux wouldn't show at all if you made that mistake..? This appears to be a lot more forgiving, in that respect.)

EDIT:- BTW, I discovered with the above example that even manually entering it with URL in capital letters, it would still parse it. That's why I had to use the "squigglies" instead, so that the whole thing would show.)

Mike. ;)
Thanks, I knew the = was something in there just couldn't quite recall the correct syntax.
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

Hmm...

[url=https://puppylinux.rockedge.org/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=196]nicOS-Utility-Suite[/url]

There's an old trick to getting BBcode tags to appear in a post, without being parsed... click on the 'word' in the tag, and insert a blank set of tags. (Quote my post to see how I did it.) It can also help with stopping the board from auto-parsing the link (edit: if you choose not to turn off the option, as MochiMoppel mentions) - just break up the link as necessary.

Anyone copying the text from the post will get the text as it appears, without the extra tags.
Last edited by Makoto on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

[ FossaPup64 9.5, Frugal install ]

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote:It's more awkward to demonstrate here than at Murga-Linux, because this new forum software auto-parses anything remotely resembling a URL without you needing to hit the URL button
you can turn it off:
no_url_parsing.png
no_url_parsing.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 489 times

nic007 wrote: I knew the = was something in there just couldn't quite recall the correct syntax.
It's explained in the tooltip:
url_syntax.png
url_syntax.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 472 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ Mochi/Makoto:-

Makoto: Useful trick, indeed; I'll remember that in future. Cheers.

Mochi: A-ha. I hadn't dug around too much in the settings; good to know it can be 'user-controlled'. However, I shall in all likelihood leave it enabled.....I find it much more useful as-is.

Makoto's trick will come in handy for the odd occasions when I want to give examples.....or can this be enabled/disabled on a per-post basis? Does the forum "remember" what your choice was from your last post?

Thanks, guys.

Mike. ;)

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote: I shall in all likelihood leave it enabled.....I find it much more useful as-is.
You have no choice anyway. It's always enabled by default and you can't change the default. You can only disable it for the particular post you are editing.
nic007

Post by nic007 »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:29 am
mikewalsh wrote:It's more awkward to demonstrate here than at Murga-Linux, because this new forum software auto-parses anything remotely resembling a URL without you needing to hit the URL button
you can turn it off:
no_url_parsing.png

nic007 wrote: I knew the = was something in there just couldn't quite recall the correct syntax.
It's explained in the tooltip:
url_syntax.png
So it does if you know what "url text" is suppose to mean. :roll:
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 pm
mikewalsh wrote: I shall in all likelihood leave it enabled.....I find it much more useful as-is.
You have no choice anyway. It's always enabled by default and you can't change the default. You can only disable it for the particular post you are editing.
Fair enough. Works for me. Just nice to know it can be changed on a per-post basis..... That'll do!

Mike. ;)

Return to “Users”