How to add fully functional "Trash" in Bionicdog? [SOLVED]

Moderator: fredx181

Makarovnik

How to add fully functional "Trash" in Bionicdog? [SOLVED]

Post by Makarovnik »

I'm using bionicdog64 and using the default root account. Is there an easy way to add "Trash" for root, including the right click option to send a file to trash and to empty trash?

Last edited by Makarovnik on Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the universe, ruler of the supermarket. - Poly Styrene

Makarovnik

Re: How to add "Trash" for root in Bionicdog?

Post by Makarovnik »

I think what I better do is find a way to turn off auto login and log in as puppy rather than root. If I use the pulldown menu on pcmanfm and choose Go>Trash I get a error message "operation not supported".

Push comes to shove I guess I could create a custom command on the pulldown menu.

I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the universe, ruler of the supermarket. - Poly Styrene

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

Hi - I too am using bionicpup64 for a long time and always run as root. You should be able to send files to trash as part of the builtin functionality. Right click on a file and you should see "Trash" appear as one of the options.

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

I agree please try it for me and me and let know what happens.

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

Trash works in Nautilus but not with pcmanfm

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

In the Debian repo for pcmanfm, there are some optional packages that refer to gvfs. I suspect that they provide the structure for extra features like Go > Trash Can.

However, you should still have Move to Trash available as a right-click option, unless it was disabled in Preferences.

[Edit] I installed Bionicdog64. Its default right-click behaviour is "Delete". Go into Edit > Preferences and switch it to "Trash".

Look in .local/share for the trash bin.

[Edit] In some versions of pcmanfm, the trash bin is an external location. Look in the start of the partition for a folder named .Trash.

If you are running as a non-root user, this folder will need a full set of write permissions. Use: chmod 1777 .Trash

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

Thank you I have it working now. First you must enable move to trash instead of delete. Then you must (I think) move a file to the trash (which will generate ~/.local/Trash, then you must install gvfs.

I don't personally use the trash feature but I feel better if kids do. That way I can review trashed files before they are permanently deleted.

I can't believe I couldn't find the correct answer on my internet searches. As usual you guys solved the problem. All the people on this forum rock. I hope that soon I will know enough to help other users the way you have helped me to get a good distro running on a USB thumb drive so we can use it in my wife's work laptop without touching her hard drive.

Return to “UbuntuDogs”