-= Great radios for you developers and pupinians! =-

Moderator: Forum moderators

janugsa

Re: -= Great radios for you developers and pupinians! =-

Post by janugsa »

In the old version, I entered the name of my country in the search box, and it displayed 300 radio stations.
In the new version, only two.
It searches only between the names of the radio stations.

Other note: yradio 1.4 does not work under precise, slacko5.8, lupu puppy.
It works fine under Tahrpup and Dpup7.5.

Deepl translator

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

janugsa wrote:

In the old version, I entered the name of my country in the search box, and it displayed 300 radio stations.
In the new version, only two.
It searches only between the names of the radio stations.

Thanks for mentioning this, yes, the search method has changed, perhaps it can be improved.
What is your country ? (so I'm able to test, not to track you, like google does ;) )

janugsa

Post by janugsa »

Hungary

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I cannot reproduce that, sorry, for me resuming play (clicking button play/pause) after pause works.

Checked again and it does work. The stream probably took a long time to resume on that particular occasion. So many dead streams. Are the links fetched from a site or is it a list of stations that needs to be updated manually?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

amethyst wrote:

So many dead streams. Are the links fetched from a site or is it a list of stations that needs to be updated manually?

Fetched directly from here: http://all.api.radio-browser.info/ . I think it's updated frequently.
"So many dead streams", not in my experience, if a stream doesn't play, the cause is often that the player you use cannot handle certain formats (outdated) (I experienced that with an old mplayer version, using newer works better, and the best (from what I tested) is mpv )

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:59 pm
amethyst wrote:

So many dead streams. Are the links fetched from a site or is it a list of stations that needs to be updated manually?

Fetched directly from here: http://all.api.radio-browser.info/ . I think it's updated frequently.
"So many dead streams", not in my experience, if a stream doesn't play, the cause is often that the player you use cannot handle certain formats (outdated) (I experienced that with an old mplayer version, using newer works better, and the best (from what I tested) is mpv )

Which audio formats would that be? My player even plays h265 videos, highly unlikely that it wouldn't play any of the audio streams which are normally either aac/mp3/ogg/wma. Check the country streams (country music). I tried about 10, all of those I tried were dead. Anyways, this seems to be a problem with internet radio, streams change often. Needs to be updated very regularly.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@amethyst Which player / version you use ? And can you give some examples of streams that won't play for you, so I can test, I'm using mpv, as I said, it works better for me.
Btw, the "prefab" lists (from dropdown menu) could contain dead streams, these are not updated automatically, but if you do a search for e.g. "country", most (if not all) streams should play.
EDIT: These "prefab" lists, you can add one or replace with updated playlist, by doing a search and save the results to new playlist.<NAME> (or replace existing).

fredx181

YRadio updated, v1.5

Post by fredx181 »

*** YRadio updated, v1.5 ***

Mostly OK to search for 'name' of radiostation, but... not for searching 'country' (as reported here by @janugsa : viewtopic.php?p=77779#p77779
Added now choice to search for 'country' as well.
Button added at the bottom to choose search query for 'country', e.g. United Kingdom, Hungary etc... or 'name' (of radiostation, as it was default before).
Other small change; removed --keep-icon-size from YAD command as it is unknown option for included yad v0.40, so could cause problems in some cases.
EDIT; See more info here; viewtopic.php?p=77569#p77569 (e.g. about requirements)

32-bit Appimage: YRadio-1.5_32
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ajp ... .5_32?dl=1
64-bit Appimage: YRadio-1.5_64
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8lv ... .5_64?dl=1

2023-01-07_19-43-28.png
2023-01-07_19-43-28.png (153.96 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
fredx181

Re: YRadio updated, v1.5

Post by fredx181 »

Just a bit further about this searching for 'country':
I first thought that it's required to type the full country name, but appears not really.
For example, search query "United' will give all 'United ... ' (United Kingdom, United States, United Arab) or e.g. 'Russian' will give all "Russian Federation" too.
A bit different than I thought, nice though, I think (yeah, I'm a little obsessed about this radio stuff, it will get over.. :D )

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:49 pm

A bit different than I thought, nice though, I think (yeah, I'm a little obsessed about this radio stuff, it will get over.. :D )

Wow @ fredx181 this is really cool. Good job :thumbup2:

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:06 pm

@amethyst Which player / version you use ? And can you give some examples of streams that won't play for you, so I can test, I'm using mpv, as I said, it works better for me.
Btw, the "prefab" lists (from dropdown menu) could contain dead streams, these are not updated automatically, but if you do a search for e.g. "country", most (if not all) streams should play.
EDIT: These "prefab" lists, you can add one or replace with updated playlist, by doing a search and save the results to new playlist.<NAME> (or replace existing).

Strangely enough, changed the default to gnome-mplayer, the results are way better. Didn't work well for the mpv version compiled for Bionic 32 I have or maybe the player didn't use this mpv player correctly? Gnome-mplayer is the default media player for Bionic 32.
PS: Still looking for scheduled recording, this is what I want to do:
1. Start application > select stream to play > pause (this step is not a problem, can set up manually beforehand).
2. Need commands to resume play and start recording (to be scheduled with pSchedule).
3. Need command to stop recording and stop play OR just kill player should work too (to be scheduled with pSchedule).

Edit: Nevermind. No need to use the player for recording. I have the stream link so just use the streamripper command. Unfortunately the streamripper application options like duration to run or stop recording after size (MB) of recording does not work for me but will use pSchedule.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

amethyst wrote:

Strangely enough, changed the default to gnome-mplayer, the results are way better.

That's nice, but probably you mean 'mplayer' (just saying to avoid confusion, choice is between mpv and mplayer).

2023-01-08_12-12-17.png
2023-01-08_12-12-17.png (88.35 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:16 am
amethyst wrote:

Strangely enough, changed the default to gnome-mplayer, the results are way better.

That's nice, but probably you mean 'mplayer' (just saying to avoid confusion, choice is between mpv and mplayer).
2023-01-08_12-12-17.png

No gnome-mplayer which is a frontend to mplayer. MPlayer has many frontends. Gnome-'mplayer is the default player for Bionic Pup. If you say mplayer for a person that uses Bionic he might get confused if he didn't know any better.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

amethyst wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:55 am
fredx181 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:16 am
amethyst wrote:

2023-01-08_12-12-17.png

No gnome-mplayer which is a frontend to mplayer. MPlayer has many frontends. Gnome-'mplayer is the default player for Bionic Pup. If you say mplayer for a person that uses Bionic he might get confused if he didn't know any better.

Yes, gnome-player is GUI frontend for mplayer, but what are we talking about, i.e. if you selected mplayer as default player for YRadio then it's mplayer you use , not gnome-mplayer.
EDIT: or do I not understand, does gnome-player show up for you when you play a stream with Yradio ?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The point is gnome-player is the default media player for Bionic and other Puppy's. You and I know it's a front-end to mplayer (like smplayer) but another user of BIonic not knowing this connection may be confused and think it's 2 different players because what he sees in his menu is gnome-mplayer and what he sees when running it is the gnome-player interface. Also, if he runs gnome-player via terminal the command will be gnome-mplayer not mplayer. Your selection between mpv and mplayer may be confusing to some who may think that they are using neither of them. Does mplayer or mpv player show up when you play a stream with your application? Not too difficult to understand. Maybe a note that the mplayer option includes front-ends like gnome-mplayer, smplayer, eh?

Attachments
players.jpg
players.jpg (52.09 KiB) Viewed 1090 times
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

I use Smplayer .and there is also a choice in the settings like @Fredx181 in YRadio.
And this is the official player, and this setting confuses no one
I think that in the receiver she will not embarrass anyone ............
Since if mpv or mplayer is not installed, then YRadio reports this in a pop-up notification

Attachments
Screenshot(3).jpg
Screenshot(3).jpg (55.08 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@Sofiya What is the meaning of that highlighted entry in the menu (in English)...

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

amethyst wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:05 pm

@Sofiya What is the meaning of that highlighted entry in the menu (in English)...

@amethyst
it means the same engine choice as @Fredx181 in YRadio

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Sofiya wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:09 pm

@amethyst

The bottom entry "Apyron").... what is it English?

Last edited by amethyst on Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

amethyst wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:15 pm

@amethyst

The bottom entry with the....(Apyron?) what is it English?

everything is written in the post and scripts are attached
viewtopic.php?p=77926#p77926

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Sofiya wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:19 pm

@amethyst

Okay so it means MPlayer, install it if you don't have it. Which is a bit confusing too seeing that you don't need mplayer installed if you have a standalone version of mpv with everything included in the MPV package....

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

amethyst wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:24 pm

Okay so it means MPlayer, install it if you don't have it. Which is a bit confusing too seeing that you don't need mplayer installed if you have a standalone version of mpv with everything included in the MPV package....

That message will only show if you select mplayer while it's not installed (in PATH , e.g. /usr/bin/mplayer), if mpv is installed it will accept that as default player in the first place.
If both are not installed, you get message that YRadio cannot run without and exit.
EDIT: And I'd say 'mplayer' and 'mpv' are commandline programs used by frontends like gnome-mplayer, smplayer, in this case the frontend is YRadio.

keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:09 pm

*** YRadio updated, v1.5 ***

Mostly OK to search for 'name' of radiostation, but... not for searching 'country' (as reported here by @janugsa : viewtopic.php?p=77779#p77779
Added now choice to search for 'country' as well.
Button added at the bottom to choose search query for 'country', e.g. United Kingdom, Hungary etc... or 'name' (of radiostation, as it was default before).
Other small change; removed --keep-icon-size from YAD command as it is unknown option for included yad v0.40, so could cause problems in some cases.
EDIT; See more info here; viewtopic.php?p=77569#p77569 (e.g. about requirements)

32-bit Appimage: YRadio-1.5_32
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ajp ... .5_32?dl=1
64-bit Appimage: YRadio-1.5_64
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8lv ... .5_64?dl=1
2023-01-07_19-43-28.png

Hi, I've installed v1.5. I also have noticed that some streams don't play on the first double click but often do on the second. I've also noticed that sometime the streams have a longer delay before starting than at other times, however, most of the streams that that I've tried play. I'm using mpv for the most part in YRadio.
My main problem is I cannot get search to work. I have followed the instructions and looked at the image that was attached to the post I have quoted above but when I try to search nothing happens. Could I ask you to provide more detailed instruction for this. I must be missing something.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:

My main problem is I cannot get search to work. I have followed the instructions and looked at the image that was attached to the post I have quoted above but when I try to search nothing happens.

Hi Ken, if you don't change anything, the search should be the same, searching for 'name' of the station, as it was before, but if you selected 'country' as default search query option, then it searches only for a country name, e.g. Australia, so then nothing will be displayed if your search query is e.g. 'rock' or whatever that's not according to an official 'country name'.
(edit: for country names see e.g. here: https://www.worldometers.info/geography ... countries/ )
Hope it's clear now, if not, can you give example of what exactly you did and "got nothing" ?

EDIT: Nothing else than adding the new search option has changed in the script, so don't know why you have delay sometimes playing streams.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:36 pm
amethyst wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:24 pm

That message will only show if you select mplayer while it's not installed (in PATH , e.g. /usr/bin/mplayer)
, if mpv is installed it will accept that as default player in the first place.
If both are not installed, you get message that YRadio cannot run without and exit.
EDIT: And I'd say 'mplayer' and 'mpv' are commandline programs used by frontends like gnome-mplayer, smplayer, in this case the frontend is YRadio.

We have instances where smplayer for example is a standalone application with everything included and mplayer components not pre-installed (let's say smplayer is an app). Will your player in this case recognize that mplayer is "installed" on the system and work or will it report that it couldn't find mplayer?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

YRadio can use mplayer only if the mplayer binary is in PATH, it checks if which mplayer is true or not .
(so, no, not recognized if mplayer is packed inside e.g. smplayer app (which would be a very rare case,btw) ).

keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:56 pm
keniv wrote:

My main problem is I cannot get search to work. I have followed the instructions and looked at the image that was attached to the post I have quoted above but when I try to search nothing happens.

Hi Ken, if you don't change anything, the search should be the same, searching for 'name' of the station, as it was before, but if you selected 'country' as default search query option, then it searches only for a country name, e.g. Australia, so then nothing will be displayed if your search query is e.g. 'rock' or whatever that's not according to an official 'country name'.
(edit: for country names see e.g. here: https://www.worldometers.info/geography ... countries/ )
Hope it's clear now, if not, can you give example of what exactly you did and "got nothing" ?

I am new to searching. With the previous two versions I did not try it. I've tried again with the country search. I've tried the example of the "Netherlands" shown in the example you gave in the post that announced v1.5. I have used the United Kingdom in the example which I have attached below. I entered United Kingdom into the search box then clicked on the magnifying glass and selected "country" and clicked OK. Nothing appears to happen at this point but if I look at processes YRadio-1.5_64 does run though I'm not sure that this is significant as YRadio has to be running in order for me to use the "Search" box etc. I see nothing change in the YRadio panel. I have looked around to see if I should then do something else but if there is I haven't found it yet. I have also selected a radio station called West Sound and entered that into the search box. Again I then clicked on the magnifying glass and selected "name" and clicked OK. I see the same thing as described above. I have nothing in YRadio_64.home (please see image attached image). I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Nothing else than adding the new search option has changed in the script, so don't know why you have delay sometimes playing streams.

I also have Simple GTK Radio installed and I sometimes see it here as well.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit: don't know where the images went from original post but have add them again.

Attachments
YRadio-v1.5-Screen.png
YRadio-v1.5-Screen.png (46.6 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
YRadio_64.home.png
YRadio_64.home.png (13.07 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Last edited by keniv on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

keniv wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:58 am

Ken.

Nada choose Country -- Magnifying glass icon for selecting Country > OK
in Search " Netherlands " or " United Kingdom " > Load

Attachments
Screenshot.gif
Screenshot.gif (282.75 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 1265 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

These stations find me when I do the description above

Attachments
playlist.United_Kingdom.false.gz
(134.79 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
playlist.Netherlands.false.gz
(94.11 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Sofiya

Nada choose Country > Search "Netherlands "

Thank for the reply. I'm sorry but I can't see any menu or any way to choose the above. I cannot find any button either in the screen display or by right clicking on the tray icon that allows me to do a search. Thanks for trying to help.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit: Just seen the playlist attachments. Thanks for these.

Return to “Multimedia”