easy.sfs not found [SOLVED]

Moderator: BarryK

jp734

easy.sfs not found [SOLVED]

Post by jp734 »

downloaded the latest Kirkstone64 5.8.3. Mounted the .img file and copied the three files into the "easyos" folder of my ext4 formatted sda2 partition. PC is i5 3570 with 8gb ram. When I boot, I got easy.sfs file not found

grub entry below:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'EasyOS - Linux 6.6.1'{
	search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid bb920f50-2ff3-4d8a-a988-4464c6b48ef1
	linux	/easyos/vmlinuz root=UUID=bb920f50-2ff3-4d8a-a988-4464c6b48ef1 psubdir=/easyos pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck,fsckp i915.modeset=0
	initrd	/easyos/initrd
}

Error I got is pretty much the same as the error @Federico had on page 2 of this thread: viewtopic.php?t=11766&start=30. The only difference is he was trying to boot it from a usb flash drive while I'm doing it from a SSD. I have two SSDs partitioned as follows: sda1, sda2, sda3 and sdb1

Last edited by jp734 on Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Art of Magic and The Magic of Art

Philh

Re: easy.sfs not found

Post by Philh »

try this with wkg_uuid and wkg_dir

menuentry 'EasyOS - Linux 6.6.1'{
search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid bb920f50-2ff3-4d8a-a988-4464c6b48ef1
linux /easyos/vmlinuz rw wkg_uuid=bb920f50-2ff3-4d8a-a988-4464c6b48ef1 wkg_dir=easyos
initrd /easyos/initrd
}
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

EasyOS does not use any of the Puppy Linux kernel boot parameters.

As Philh says, also read more here:

https://easyos.org/install/easy-frugal- ... ation.html

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

I had the same problem and ... SOLVED!

FULL viewtopic.php?t=11927

SUMMARY.-

Edit you menu.lst file (the boot file located at the boot partition... usually sda1)

Write this:

title Easy OS  (sda3/easyos)
find --set-root uuid () 29abcea7-6a35-473c-b2f3-d47cabbb047e
kernel /easyos/vmlinuz rw wkg_uuid=29abcea7-6a35-473c-b2f3-d47cabbb047e wkg_dir=easyos
initrd /easyos/initrd

n.b.- IN the first line, instead of sda3 write the installed partition for easyos sda2 sda3 sda4..... sdb1 sdc3.....)

In the second and third line you need to know the uuid value and to guess it you must run in terminal de command blkid

That UUID value can be found by running the 'blkid' utility, for the example of EasyOS installed in partition /dev/sda3, with partition-label "easy2":

HOPE IT HELPS

jp734

Post by jp734 »

wkg_uuid and wkg_dir solved the problem. :thumbup: That's what happens when you don't read How To's first. :D

EDIT: Boy, I have some reading to do. Especially the how and where the files are saved. I'm changing wallpapers and it's not even showing the image I edited that I thought, I'm sure, I replaced.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

jp734 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:11 pm

wkg_uuid and wkg_dir solved the problem. :thumbup: That's what happens when you don't read How To's first. :D

EDIT: Boy, I have some reading to do. Especially the how and where the files are saved. I'm changing wallpapers and it's not even showing the image I edited that I thought, I'm sure, I replaced.

You put an image into //usr/share/backgrounds, then run Qwallpaper (in the Desktop menu category).

pp4mnklinux

Re: easy.sfs not found [SOLVED]

Post by pp4mnklinux »

I have a question about this. @BarryK

As you can see in some of my posts, I have changed the wallpaper but when I shutdown or when I start the computer, the default image ( the
Australian beach) appears a moment.

Why does it happen?
Should I rename the new wallpaper as "Default' deleting the other?
What should I do to avoid it?

It is not a big problem, only a small "difficulty" but I want to know how to solve it.

Thanks in advance. CHEERS

jp734

Post by jp734 »

BarryK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:50 am
jp734 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 1:11 pm

You put an image into //usr/share/backgrounds, then run Qwallpaper (in the Desktop menu category).

I did that but it didnt change. Then I found out it makes a copy of the image and save it in "177" folder and uses it for the wallpaper and any changes I make to the original will not make any difference unless I delete the image in 177 folder. Always wanted to ask that too. Whats the logic behind it? Like other puppy linux, it has a background folder and then it also has original-background folder

and I also noticed what @pp4mnklinux was talking about

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

The chosen wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds is reshaped to fit the screen dimensions and put into the "177" folder.

I don't recall the exact algorithm, but that 177 is named after the screen dimensions.

If you change the video setup, say a different monitor, it may have different dimensions and then a new folder name will be created inside /usr/share/backgrounds

The point of doing this is so that images will always display correctly, that is a circle will render as a circle, not an ellipse.

This mechanism is inherited from Puppy Linux, but I seem to recall looking at Woof-CE awhile ago and this feature was removed.

Hmmm, yes. In Easy, there is /usr/bin/background_reshape, but the script seems to no longer be in Woof-CE
It still exists in the "legacy" branch in Woof-CE
Curious, I wonder what the rationale was for removing it.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I got curious why and when background_reshape script got removed. Found it:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 3ca503a22a

As I understand the situation, background_reshape was introduced because those ROX-Filer modes did not render images keeping the proportions within an image.

But then, that guy, wdlkmpx had a reputation for cutting out lots of stuff from Woof, and after criticism he left.

God, that was June 2019, ages ago.

jp734

Post by jp734 »

BarryK wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:09 pm

The chosen wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds is reshaped to fit the screen dimensions and put into the "177" folder.

I don't recall the exact algorithm, but that 177 is named after the screen dimensions.

If you change the video setup, say a different monitor, it may have different dimensions and then a new folder name will be created inside /usr/share/backgrounds

The point of doing this is so that images will always display correctly, that is a circle will render as a circle, not an ellipse.

This mechanism is inherited from Puppy Linux, but I seem to recall looking at Woof-CE awhile ago and this feature was removed.

Hmmm, yes. In Easy, there is /usr/bin/background_reshape, but the script seems to no longer be in Woof-CE
It still exists in the "legacy" branch in Woof-CE
Curious, I wonder what the rationale was for removing it.

So, the 177 folder I have is specifically for my monitor only. Other EasyOS users might/will have different folders depending on their monitor. :thumbup: Thanks

Return to “EasyOS”