Unable to mount isos (Solved)

Kennel Linux Void-based

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Unable to mount isos (Solved)

Post by geo_c »

I'm gonna chalk this up to a Void update, and I'm putting it here in the Airedale section, even though it's identical in my Spectr system.

It appears that iso mounting is broken (fusemount?) and I think fusemount was recently updated.

I simply get an error when trying to mount an iso either using Rox, pcmanfm, or Thunar that the iso failed to mount. An empty directory shows up in /mnt for the iso.

Wondering if anyone else noticed this, or is it particular to me? I've been updating and resquashing psuedo full installs every couple months, and that's been fabulous, except for this annoyance. I always have F96 or a previous KLV I can boot into to mount isos.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

fredx181

Re: iso mounting

Post by fredx181 »

geo_c wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:16 am

I'm gonna chalk this up to a Void update, and I'm putting it here in the Airedale section, even though it's identical in my Spectr system.

It appears that iso mounting is broken (fusemount?) and I think fusemount was recently updated.

I simply get an error when trying to mount an iso either using Rox, pcmanfm, or Thunar that the iso failed to mount. An empty directory shows up in /mnt for the iso.

Wondering if anyone else noticed this, or is it particular to me? I've been updating and resquashing psuedo full installs every couple months, and that's been fabulous, except for this annoyance. I always have F96 or a previous KLV I can boot into to mount isos.

Yes, I can confirm, don't know what has been changed exactly, probably in the mount options, anyway it can be fixed by changing Type='udf,iso9660' to Type='iso9660' in the filemnt and filemnt-thunar scripts.

filemnt-new.tar.gz , extract and replace filemnt and filemnt-thunar in /usr/local/bin :

filemnt-new.tar.gz
extract and replace filemnt and filemnt-thunar in /usr/local/bin
(5.09 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Unable to mount isos

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 awesome fix! and @geo_c excellent discovery!

And the fix was so fast......I'll put the scripts in the next KLV's rootfs release :ugeek: :thumbup:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:56 pm

... next KLV's rootfs release ...

Can you also add a few themes ? (gtk3) (light and dark) in /usr/share/themes, e.g. from @geo_c's tbox (and @geo_c, maybe you can advice about which ones best for KLV ?).

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Unable to mount isos (Solved)

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 Good idea, it's about time we added some gtk3 themes! Since we have @geo_c's tbox collection it will be an easy addition.

Now for some recommendations........

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:42 pm
rockedge wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:56 pm

... next KLV's rootfs release ...

Can you also add a few themes ? (gtk3) (light and dark) in /usr/share/themes, e.g. from @geo_c's tbox (and @geo_c, maybe you can advice about which ones best for KLV ?).

I'm fond of gtk4 ChromeOS-Darker-Oceanic-Rounded, very easy on the eyes, deep green, not grey, not too dark, and everything works in it. In KLV you have to point your gtk2rc to it in /root/.gtkrc-2.0

Code: Select all

gtk-icon-theme-name = "BeautySolar"
gtk-theme-name = "ChromeOS-Darker-Oceanic-Rounded"
gtk-font-name = "DejaVu Sans 11"

Also the gtk3 Omnu-Ice-Dark is good.

I haven't udpated the themes in the tbox for awhile, so there are probably new versions out for some of them, though I find they aren't updated all that often. If you're going to go with gtk3, the Classic Looks are good light themes. gtk4 e17-revolved is pretty interesting, also Deeply Skeuo and FX. I really only run one theme for very long periods of time, and that one has been ChormeOS-Darker-Oceanic-Rounded.

My internal ssd drives are so full that I archived my tcons library to an external drive, as it was 20GB!

The Beauty Solar icons have floated my boat for a good long while now. They are very complete and cheery, colorful, not too flat, not too cartoony, though just enough.

geo_c

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks @geo_c .

I'm fond of gtk4 ChromeOS-Darker-Oceanic-Rounded, very easy on the eyes, deep green, not grey, not too dark, and everything works in it. In KLV you have to point your gtk2rc to it in /root/.gtkrc-2.0

As it's a gtk4 theme as you say, why it needs to point to it in /root/.gtkrc-2.0 ? (just curious, but as gtk2 is still being used in KLV, it would be nice perhaps to have other than the gtk2 default though (edit; the default looks ugly IMHO !!!).
And what about the "Midnight" themes ? (at first glance I think I like these too for a dark theme).

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Yes, I like ChromeOS themes too :thumbup:

ChromeOS-Darker-UltraViolet-Rounded ->> https://github.com/sofijacom/KLV-Hyprla ... ded-themes

Attachments
2024-05-24_23-17.png
2024-05-24_23-17.png (46.68 KiB) Viewed 156 times
2024-05-24_22-29.png
2024-05-24_22-29.png (244.94 KiB) Viewed 177 times
2024-05-24_22-23.png
2024-05-24_22-23.png (249.11 KiB) Viewed 178 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Fri May 24, 2024 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:56 pm

Thanks @geo_c .

As it's a gtk4 theme as you say, why it needs to point to it in /root/.gtkrc-2.0 ? (just curious, but as gtk2 is still being used in KLV, it would be nice perhaps to have other than the gtk2 default though (edit; the default looks ugly IMHO !!!).
And what about the "Midnight" themes ? (at first glance I think I like these too for a dark theme).

Chrome is a gtk4 theme, but I'm realizing here I'm only talking about KLV-Spectr, which I don't believe has a gtk theme setter. I set themes manually in the gtk-rc files. And now that I double checked, it looks like my Spectr only goes to gtk3, but it runs Chrome gtk4 theme just fine. The problem comes when you try to run gtk4 applications with only a lesser version of gtk available, usually not the other way round. But in Spectr you have to set the theme name in gtk3 settings.ini, and also in .gtkrc-2.0 to get it running globally.

Maybe @Sofiya added a theme chooser in a later Spectr. I just config them manually, only a matter of typing the name in two files, edit: but you first have to create the gtk3 settings.ini I believe, if I remember correctly. I haven't set it up from scratch for awhile now.

I mostly stick to gtk4 themes, even though there are fewer available, that way when I'm using Airedale all the widgets work perfectly, and there is usually no problem with the gtk2 and 3 apps using their respective theme rc's included in the theme.

Midnight themes are good, and I have used them. There is one called Midnight-OrangeNIght that I like.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 8:08 pm
fredx181 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 4:56 pm

Thanks @geo_c .

Chrome is a gtk4 theme, but I'm realizing here I'm only talking about KLV-Spectr, which I don't believe has a gtk theme setter. I set themes manually in the gtk-rc files. And now that I double checked, it looks like my Spectr only goes to gtk3, but it runs Chrome gtk4 theme just fine. The problem comes when you try to run gtk4 applications with only a lesser version of gtk available, usually not the other way round. But in Spectr you have to set the theme name in gtk3 settings.ini, and also in .gtkrc-2.0 to get it running globally.

Maybe @Sofiya added a theme chooser in a later Spectr. I just config them manually, only a matter of typing the name in two files, edit: but you first have to create the gtk3 settings.ini I believe, if I remember correctly. I haven't set it up from scratch for awhile now.

I mostly stick to gtk4 themes, even though there are fewer available, that way when I'm using Airedale all the widgets work perfectly, and there is usually no problem with the gtk2 and 3 apps using their respective theme rc's included in the theme.

Midnight themes are good, and I have used them. There is one called Midnight-OrangeNIght that I like.

Midnight GTK Themes

https://github.com/i-mint/midnight

Attachments
2024-05-24_23-20.png
2024-05-24_23-20.png (164.84 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Fri May 24, 2024 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

and @fredx181, I don't know if you tried using the linking script concept of tbox, but it definitely works. I've used it for years. You just locate that big complete tbox on the drive where the OS resides and run the KLV-CONTROL-PANEL gxmessage interactive message script. There are buttons to link the themes in /root/.themes, and icons in /root/.icons, though you have to also have the tcon box installed on the same directory level as the tbox for the icons to work.

The deal there is you don't have to clutter up your save with themes, only symlinks to the box are created. This works completely and is designed for Airedale, but it will also work in other KL's. In Airedale using the appearance/theme chooser, it takes some amount of time for the chooser to load all the thumbnails, but it will load if you just wait. Puppy theme choosers don't have that issue, they display the themes immediately.

Using the tbox link approach, you can try out every theme in there that I have tested on Airedale. I created special directories in the tbox that contain symlinks to both the gtk3 and gtk4 themes that work for a given OS. So there's a folder in tbox called gtkKLV that has symlinks to the themes in the box. The KLV-CONTROL-PANEL script copies those links to the system directories. The control panel also has scripts to remove the links and restore the themes initially on the system. These also work for me for years now. The script simply backs up the original themes by renaming the directory and linking those themes along with the tbox themes into the newly created /root/.themes. So restoring is simply a matter of the script naming it back to it's original state.

geo_c

Return to “KLV-Airedale”