Damaged the Date and Time display on xenial64 (Solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

number77

Damaged the Date and Time display on xenial64 (Solved)

Post by number77 »

Hello
I am running xenial64 on a Dell E6230.
I have done something to the clock display at the bottom of the screen. It still gives me the time but not the date as it used to. The date is useful so has anyone any idea what I have done and how I can get it back.
Help appreciated. Thanks.
number77

Last edited by bigpup on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: minor spelling correction
rockedge
Site Admin

Re: I have Damaged the Date and Time display on xenial64

Post by rockedge »

@number77

Hi!! Try with the mouse to right-click on the clock in the tray! That should bring up the configuration and clock format manager.

I don't have a Xenial to start up at the moment so I can't check the exact place the menu has the selection for the same config manager. Also I can't double check if it's a right or left click on the clock on the tray.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@number77 :-

I think I can help with this one. I'm in Xenial64 ATM, since this highly-modified build is currently my "daily driver". I doubt you've 'damaged it'; certain JWM operations have an occasional habit of resetting the time back to the default, OOTB setting. It's not just Xenial, either; I've noticed this with many other Pups over the years.

Right-click on the time. It should bring up the PupClockset utility, with tab 'JWMClock' showing. Just select the time/date format you want from the list - click the radio button! - and then click 'Set'.....followed by 'Exit'.

It'll restart JWM in the process, so you'll get the time as you want it straight away.

(Tab -> 'Options' will let you modify it further. You can change the font, the size - I always do this, 'cos the default is way too small for my liking - make it bold if desired, change to italic if you want, and also change the colour. This last is necessary if you select a dark JWM theme.

If changing the font, a monospace font is best. This prevents the entire notification area from jinking back & forth as the time changes.....it's more noticeable if you select to have seconds showing.)

Hope that helps!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

number77

Post by number77 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:38 pm

I think I can help with this one. I'm in Xenial64 ATM, since this highly-modified build is currently my "daily driver". I doubt you've 'damaged it'; certain JWM operations have an occasional habit of resetting the time back to the default, OOTB setting. It's not just Xenial, either; I've noticed this with many other Pups over the years.

Right-click on the time. It should bring up the PupClockset utility, with tab 'JWMClock' showing. Just select the time/date format you want from the list - click the radio button! - and then click 'Set'.....followed by 'Exit'.

It'll restart JWM in the process, so you'll get the time as you want it straight away.

(Tab -> 'Options' will let you modify it further. You can change the font, the size - I always do this, 'cos the default is way too small for my liking - make it bold if desired, change to italic if you want, and also change the colour. This last is necessary if you select a dark JWM theme.

If changing the font, a monospace font is best. This prevents the entire notification area from jinking back & forth as the time changes.....it's more noticeable if you select to have seconds showing.)

Hope that helps!

Mike. ;)

Thanks Mike. Right click gives me pClock, version 0.8.1. PPM has pup clockset v 2.7. Should I install that.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Oh, sorry; I know why I've got it. It comes, built-in, as part of JWMDesk Manager.....which I always install. It does come as a separate .pet, though; I have v2.5 in my archives. If v2.7 is in the PPM, that'll be fine.

Right-clicking on the time will then bring up PupClockSet instead.....and just do as I outlined above. Let us know how ya get on, please.

Mike. ;)

number77

Post by number77 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:58 pm

Oh, sorry; I know why I've got it. It comes, built-in, as part of JWMDesk Manager.....which I always install. It does come as a separate .pet, though; I have v2.5 in my archives. If v2.7 is in the PPM, that'll be fine.

Right-clicking on the time will then bring up PupClockSet instead.....and just do as I outlined above. Let us know how ya get on, please.

Mike. ;)

v2.7 installed but one query. You said (Just select the time/date format you want from the list - click the radio button! - and then click 'Set'.....followed by 'Exit'.) What is the radio button.
Thanks

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

This is the "radio button":-

Don't ask me why. That's just what those little round buttons have always been called.... :D

(*shrug....*)

Mike. ;)

number77

Post by number77 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:01 pm

This is the "radio button":-

Don't ask me why. That's just what those little round buttons have always been called.... :D

(*shrug....*)

Mike. ;)

Thanks Mike. Instantaneous cure.
Thanks again number77.

number77

Post by number77 »

rockedge wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:00 pm

@number77

Hi!! Try with the mouse to right-click on the clock in the tray! That should bring up the configuration and clock format manager.

I don't have a Xenial to start up at the moment so I can't check the exact place the menu has the selection for the same config manager. Also I can't double check if it's a right or left click on the clock on the tray.

Thanks, its right click and with later pClock is back to normal.
Thanks for help.

Return to “Beginners Help”