Kernels and chromebooks, Oh MY!

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Kernels and chromebooks, Oh MY!

Post by mikewalsh »

@clm1919 :-

Yah, that kernel will do just fine. To 'translate' ozsouth's kernel-naming 'code':-

For '6.6.25-64oz-aoum-lolat':-

• 'a' means it will work with Puppy's traditional AUFS file-system

• 'o' means it will work with the overlayfs file-system that is slowly being adopted. Bookwormpup64 needs this (I'm not 100% certain about this statement, so am willing to be corrected here)

• 'um' means it's been built to work with the recently-adopted 'usrmerge' construction that all Linux mainstream distros are now using. Again, Bookwormpup64 requires this specific set-up

And 'lolat' means it's low-latency.....and hence, that little bit more responsive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What you need to do is simple. Assuming this is BWP64 10.0.7 in use:-

• Rename 'vmlinuz-6.6.25-64oz-aoum-lolat' to JUST 'vmlinuz'

• Rename 'kernel-modules.sfs-6.6.25-64oz-aoum-lolat' to 'zdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.7.sfs'

As for the firmware 'module' - the 'fdrv' - these are kernel-agnostic. They're not tied to any specific kernel, so my advice would be to leave that one as-is for now.

Now, just swap those two files for the identically-named items in Bookwormpup's 'base' directory (alongside all the other system SFS files - the 'adrv', bdrv', etc. Then, re-boot.

(Put the original two somewhere 'safe' temporarily.....just in case you need to revert, like.)

During the boot-time verbosity, you'll see what the kernel is; it's usually mentioned in the very first line! You'll soon see if you got it right....

Let us know if that works for ya. I always do this sort of thing manually; it's not that I don't like using the provided utilities, but I've always found a lot of this kinda stuff is just quicker done by hand....

Mike. ;)

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

* OMG! that looks great @mikewalsh
* Now that i have two working saves on two drives I feel i can "try anything"
* (add2playlist: Shakira-try_anything)
* should be my theme song for this project.....or yakety sax
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had some more "trouble-of-my-own-making" in this project, and a few "real life" issues to deal with today. - apologies for the delay in replying.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On the linux side i "tried a few things" - and my setup has changed a bit.

anyone know a good "getting grub to do what you want for dummies" link?? :oops:

- 1) can't boot from SD card anymore...I think it has to do with #2 below

- 2) no puppy stuff on the internal MMC drive - just Deb12 (and i think i "broke" the grub...it stopped seeing puppy-stuff)

- 3) kinda broke the Live USB - because the SD card and internal MMC are NOT Fat32 - the only place to "update grub" from the frugal installer (that i saw....) was on the USB.

- 4) the USB will not boot without the SD card (screen shot....later....maybe)

The result isn't so bad though - I need the USB to boot puppy, but there are two working save files (pups?) - one on the USB, and one on the SD card. Both configured the way I had it all before...not counting boot changes.

needing the SD card to boot is a bummer, but now i have some more insurance (at least i feel that way).

The project continues - will next try to actually do stuff that matches the title of the darn thread... :?

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

Too tired/sleepy/frustrated for a long detailed (and rambling) post.

the short version is: it didn't work. It would get stuck showing:
Loading vmlinuz
Loading ucode.cpio and initrd.gz

I tried restoring the old files of:
-vmlinuz
zdrv_dpupbw64_10.0.7.sfs

but it still "gets stuck" on the boot at the same place.

Most definitely done for tonight.

Will probably "burn" myself a new Puppy USB (and a DVD, i think.....next project is either an old Dell or Mac mini - both core2duo machines w/ optical drives - they seem to be saying "I want puppy linux").

Everything except sound SEEMED to work fine on puppy (several posts ago)

BUT - The Deb12 install has been working (with sound) for a while....take your victories where you can find them, i guess.

...this "puppy on a chromebook" may be going on the back burner for a bit.

That might just be low caffeine and low B.A.C talking though.... I'll sleep on it.

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

The morning Coffee is brewing....

Thanks again to all who have helped.
@wizard
@bigpup
@mikeslr
@mikewalsh

my "other" linux laptop machine has now booted from a puppy Live-DVD with a pup save on the HD
---->Hp15/AMD E2-7110/Radeon R2/12GB-ram/1TB HD (win10/Deb12/puppy)

the chromebook has successfully booted puppy from a fresh usb ISO with a save on the internal eMMC
(back to step 1)

< intermission - coffee done>

I honestly and sincerely apologize to those who want error logs and love debugging errors - but my sado masochism only goes so far (sarcasm?...or maybe there's no irsh creme for the coffee....it's a mystery)

I like my DEB12 install on the chromebook - it works.

If I'm going to continue this puppy-on-a-chromebook-project thing it's going to have to reside on the SD card -

IN THEORY - shouldn't i be able to "tell" the grub installed on internal drive to "point" to puppy - wherever it is, without having to install it/modify it with the puppy installer? Pretty sure we were able to do that with LILO "back in the day".

would that require a "full" install instead of a "frugal" install.

Neither of which i've done yet (so far in this new fresh start...puppy makes that so easy :D )

But if tweaking GRUB is the secret - then i need to learn more and not just keep "banging rocks together" like some Linux-neanderthal.

***wanted "GRUB For DUMMIES" ***

Rambling a bit - but i'm a little down after getting my hopes up and frustrated with not understanding (due to lack of experience).

PS - still have the "old" USB and SD card, and IN THEORY could try to replicate the failed boot(s).

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

clm1919 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:18 am

.....next project is either an old Dell or Mac mini - both core2duo machines w/ optical drives - they seem to be saying "I want puppy linux").

Well, you shouldn't have any issues at all there. I had to 'upgrade' the ancient, 22-yr old Dell Inspiron a couple of years ago when the Intel 'Extreme' graphics adapter eventually went bye-bye. So I now have a 16-yr old Dell Latitude (I like Dells!) -a D630; T7250 Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD. When I bought if off eBay, some fool had shoe-horned Windows 10 on to it. That got wiped off the drive, pronto!

It now dual-boots Xenialpup64 and Fossapup64.......and runs like a dream. Initially used the old NetGear CardBus wifi adapter, until ozsouth sorted me out a driver for the problematic Broadcom BCM4312 internal card; even this works now, so frees up the CardBus slot for other uses (I have several different CardBus adapters for this slot).

Mine has the Nvidia Quadro NVS-135m mobile GPU.....problematic, so wizard tells me, 'cos the solder connections eventually break with the heat they generate. He also has one, but his has the Intel graphics. Both of us like 'em, though. If you can set-up the Nvidia driver, it runs a fair bit cooler than if 'nouveau' is in use.....very simple to do with shinobar's GetNvidia utility (this compiles/installs in-situ from the Nvidia .run file for whatever driver is needed).

Yup; Core2Duo machines are still very functional with Linux.....though of course, the lighter the OS, the better. Our Pup definitely helps here.

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@clm1919

IN THEORY - shouldn't i be able to "tell" the grub installed on internal drive to "point" to puppy - wherever it is

Yes

No, remember a frugal install IS a full install, just in compressed form that makes it more efficient.

Here is a Puppy grub entry from my Puppy/MX Linux dual boot USB, you'll have to manually edit the DB12 grub.cfg add it in and make the appropriate changes. If you have questions about it or get stuck, let us know.

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Dpup 10.0.3 (sdb2/bw64)'{
  search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid 21dea449-bad1-4e79-b67c-554004eb1ab4
  linux /bw64/vmlinuz    psubdir=/bw64 pmedia=usbflash pfix=nocopy,fsck
  initrd /bw64/initrd.gz
}

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

so wizard tells me, 'cos the solder connections eventually break with the heat they generate. He also has one, but his has the Intel graphics

Have had both nvidia and intel graphics models of the D630, current one is nvidia just like yours. When I got it years ago it was dead from the video chip thing. I pulled the motherboard and did a "shake and bake" solder reflow and it has been good ever since. Used it as my daily driver for several years.

Thanks
wizard

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

@wizard
@mikewalsh

you guys are awesome!!!!!

Still struggling a bit to get the "puppy-lingo" down - thanks for the friendly reminders (and encouraging examples)

wizard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 12:44 pm

@clm1919

IN THEORY - shouldn't i be able to "tell" the grub installed on internal drive to "point" to puppy - wherever it is

Yes

No, remember a frugal install IS a full install, just in compressed form that makes it more efficient.

Here is a Puppy grub entry from my Puppy/MX Linux dual boot USB, you'll have to manually edit the DB12 grub.cfg add it in and make the appropriate changes. If you have questions about it or get stuck, let us know.

Code: Select all

menuentry 'Dpup 10.0.3 (sdb2/bw64)'{
  search --no-floppy --set=root --fs-uuid 21dea449-bad1-4e79-b67c-554004eb1ab4
  linux /bw64/vmlinuz    psubdir=/bw64 pmedia=usbflash pfix=nocopy,fsck
  initrd /bw64/initrd.gz
}

wizard

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

OH BOY! More ROCKS!!!! :? - yeah, i think i'm going to study a bit 1st this time.....I keep smashing my metaphorical fingers

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

@wizard

If i go the "frugal install" route on the chromebook - and want to install it to the SD card

• should i format it as FAT32 or ext4

• maybe partition the SD card with both?

if i put grub on the SD card - does it require FAT32 to work with puppy? I think that was part of the problem last time, I had formatted the whole thing as ext4.

All this information is probably somewhere, and i might have even seen it with my eyes, but it didn't "register".....apologies.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@clm1919

If you are going to use your DB12 grub for booting, no need to put grub on the SD card.

If above, then SD format as ext3 or 4.

If you are going to boot directly from the SD:

1st partition = 200mb, fat32, set boot flag (this is for grub)
2nd partition = ext3 or 4 (for Puppy)

Ext format allows you use a "save folder" which is preferable to using a "save file" which has to be used on a fat32 partition.

If we are not able to get internal audio on your HP, you can probably use Bluetooth speaker or headphones to get audio. I can do this on my CB's.

wizard

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

wizard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:29 pm

@clm1919

If you are going to use your DB12 grub for booting, no need to put grub on the SD card.

If above, then SD format as ext3 or 4.

If you are going to boot directly from the SD:

1st partition = 200mb, fat32, set boot flag (this is for grub)
2nd partition = ext3 or 4 (for Puppy)

Ext format allows you use a "save folder" which is preferable to using a "save file" which has to be used on a fat32 partition.

@wizard
THANK YOU!! (bold = my replies)

If we are not able to get internal audio on your HP, you can probably use Bluetooth speaker or headphones to get audio. I can do this on my CB's.
-wizard

If everything fails I've got the Debian12 install, this is mostly just me stubbornly not wanting to "admit defeat" :?
and heck, i want to do it just to do it.....I think you guys get that :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

wizard wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:29 pm

.....and, as wizard knows, IF you can get a headphone output functional there's no reason why you can't pipe that into a set of external speakers instead. Not quite as "portable", perhaps, but still a way of getting audio working.

My audio on the big HP desktop rig all comes from the headphone output socket (the green one). In my case this is a Goodmans 'active' system, originally intended for MP3 players.....the only 'input' is a 3 foot lead with a 3.5 mm jack-plug on the end (which would plug into your player's headphone/earphone socket). Of course, this lends itself perfectly to computer audio, too!

It's now 23 yrs old, but the twin satellite mid/tweeters and the sub-woofer (which houses the 30W amplifier + controls) still sound pretty good, all things considered.

There's ways round everything, if you put your mind to it..... With the D630, since I use that in the front room when I keep Mama company of an evening - and don't want to disturb her - I use a set of Logitech USB headphones if I'm watching NetFlix or listening to RadioTunes while I browse.

Mike. :thumbup:

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:04 pm

.....and, as wizard knows, IF you can get a headphone output functional there's no reason why you can't pipe that into a set of external speakers instead. Not quite as "portable", perhaps, but still a way of getting audio working.

of the two KNOWN working (firmware?) options - one might blow up the speakers (AVS) and the other (SOF), while it works (Under Debian12) has no microphone jack support.

But who knows. Maybe we'll discover something
- They did not know it was impossible so they did it.
— Mark Twain

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

clm1919 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:29 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:04 pm

of the two KNOWN working (firmware?) options - one might blow up the speakers (AVS) and the other (SOF), while it works (Under Debian12) has no microphone jack support.

Which is why I prefer 'active' speaker systems. Okay, there's an additional volume control to mess around with.....but this all gives an extra layer of 'protection'. For 'quiet' systems, the built-in amp helps to boost audio levels further....whereas for something like you've cited above, you set your app playing with the system volume set wherever. You then turn on the active speakers with the volume right down, and slowly increase the level. You'll soon see if you're already 'over-amplified'.....and can juggle volume control(s) accordingly, to attain a comfortable (and safe) level.

Well, it works for me..... :D

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

@mikewalsh

I hear you. I too have (for myself) preferred to have "active" speaker systems.

However, I'm looking at this project more as: "hey, I did it - this is HOW I did it - good luck....."

and whenever I'm giving advice to others i prefer to use/test the SAFEST option - leads to fewer people I "helped" then coming to me after they wipe their system using root/administrator - or similar stuff.

K.I.S.S.B.T.K.M.B.I (keep it super simper because they keep making better idiots....)

although so far in this project said "idiot" is me :oops:

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

No work on the Chromebook today - but i noticed something.

I've been just casually using Puppy on the "other" machine today (Hp15/AMD E2-7110/12GB-ram)

RAM use on the "other" machine has edged just over 4GB a few times, just with casual web browsing. (I love that right-sided system-monitor-thingy alternative big+for Puppy)

While the Chromebook - even when in the "early days" of this project I stressed the CPU running multiple video's at the same time - barely used more than 3 gigs of RAM, under either Deb12 or Puppy (granted no sound).

Just found this interesting - not sure what it means.

Aside: anyone used Seamonkey? (instead of firefox/thunderbird) on puppy? I noticed there was a WINDOWS portable version. The "other" machine doesn't have storage issues, even with M$Win10/Deb12/Puppy so i'm thinking of testing it Under both puppy and Deb12. But if people say "don't bother" I'd rather not divert time to learning it.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I have a 'portable' build of this (if you're interested). The thread is here:-

viewtopic.php?t=1640

I apologise for any possible download issues from MEGA.nz; some people here find they can't access it, especially if they're after a new browser, and are trying to access my a/c from an older one. MEGA is very 'picky', and will only co-operate with up-to-date browsers.....

The SeaMonkey 'portable' may need updating when you get it, but it does at least HAVE an internal update mechanism at long last!

These run best from OUTSIDE the save; /mnt/home (or /initrd/mnt/dev_save on some Puppies) is the recommended location for these. Either that, or stick it on a suitably Linux-formatted flash drive (ext3 OR ext4, doesn't matter which).....and run it from there.

Ask if you're not sure how to use these; they're fairly straight-forward, and are modelled on the Windows PortableApps from PortableApps.com. However, SeaMonkey is no good for accessing DRM-protected content, like Hulu, Spotify, NetFlix, Amazon Prime, etc.......because it can't make use of the Widevine decryption module like Firefox can. It's okay with YouTube, though.

I have a whole range of stuff packaged this way:- viewtopic.php?t=5104

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

RAM usage is all controlled by RAM controller software in the Linux kernel.

Just know that it is automatically making choices on how to use it.

The more RAM available the less it needs to control it.
If the RAM is there it is there to use.

The one big thing the RAM controller is going to do is try it's best to not let RAM totally fill up.
Even if it was totally in use.
It can always remove something to make room for something else.
This is more noticeable on very low RAM conditions. (today 2GB or less)

Even closing a running program, may still keep some of it in RAM.
This is so, running the program at another time, will be faster in startup.
If the RAM being used, is not needed for something else, why not use it for this.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

It's exactly as @bigpup states above. In case you weren't aware, all the time your OS is running, the kernel is using any spare RAM it can find for "caching" (to help make everything start & run faster and smoother), BUT; whenever you want to launch an app, or carry out any operation in 'userspace' - the part of the OS the user interacts with - the kernel will always immediately release whatever amount of RAM is needed.

It's background 'maintenance', with resources that are temporarily 'idle'.......but the user's wishes always override this background stuff. None of this Windows-like behaviour where the user often has to twiddle their thumbs, while waiting for the OS to finish doing whatever it is that IT thinks is more important!

Just another way in which Linux really IS more efficient.

Mike. ;)

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

@bigpup
@mikewalsh
Thanks for the replies RE: the ram question

If I'm getting this right - basically The 12gig machine HAS more RAM, so why not use it?

Is that more or less right?

Was away for a bit, back home and going to try working on the "SD card install" attempt
- I now have two 32GB micro-sd cards to play with.
-My thought is - if i can make it boot again and successfully do a frugal install to it, is there a relatively neanderthal-simple way to "clone" the working one so if/when i screw something up I can just pop in the other one?

Under windows and macOS<=9 i knew how to do this, but neither OS can read ext4 natively (that i know of).

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

some success today - or just re-gaining ground.

@wizard

I deviated a little from wizard's advice.

- I partitioned the SD card with GParted but had to install something called MTools (which i did AFTER i partitioned it - prob a mistake - but GParted reported errors on the partition and listed MTools, which sounded very familliar) -and everything seemed fine.

- 12 gig Fat32
- 12 gig ext4
-some free space

I wanted the partitions to be sizes that didn't match any of the other "drives" (internal/USB) i use, kind of like dummy insurance. a few other reasons that will probably be moot later - but this is all just trial and error...and error.

-Then I did a "FrugalPup" install.

--->boot flag and grub on P1 (Fat32) - but accidentally ALSO put a pupsave there the first run

so i ran that part of the installer again...
--->installed pupsave to the EXT4

-used the installer-tool to put GRUB to the SD card (P1/FAT32) and pointed it to the save on EXT4 (Part2)

And the machine started OK - i selected the SD card at prompt - but the chromebook couldn't find the partition table when the SD card was in the SD card slot. (i tried a few times - popped the card in and out...no-go this time)

Knowing the SD card slot "has issues" under linux, i tried using a USB multi-card reader.
-----> THIS WORKED<-------- :shock:

kind of defeats the purpose of putting on an SD card if i need a USB-reader or adapter for the SD card.

BUT, one thing at a time - it boots to puppy via the Grub on P1(FAT32) and saves and boots the OS from P2 (ext4)

(still not ready to play with Grub directly, and don't want to risk "breaking" the working deb12 install)

Just wanted to update y'all on project status. Thanks so much for all your help so far. (of course, sound doesn't work, but hey, it boots to puppy again)
@mikewalsh
@bigpup
@mikeslr

wizard

Post by wizard »

@clm1919

Knowing the SD card slot "has issues" under linux,

This is the case with most laptops with a SD card. Problem is the BIOS/Setup does not really recognize the SD card ext partition.

You might try installing both grub and Puppy on the fat32 partition to see if that will boot.

There is also a work-around discussed here:
viewtopic.php?t=12221

wizard

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

quick update (I'm at work)

thank you for that link and the advice.

I'm actually USING the chromebook (under puppy) as a 2nd monitor for REAL WORK now (using barrier).

not sure what i was "doing wrong" earlier - but the trick of popping the SD card in-and-out while the system is looking for the boot partition works....no need for dongles/adapters.

I think I'll stick with that for now - I really DO VERY MUCH appreciate any rocks you can toss me way to bang together, but (If i got the gist of the linked thread) I think the phrases

"Now do I recommend this? NO...." -wizard

and

"...some luck is involved." -wizard

are translating to "Not for me right now" in my head-cannon. ;)

I've rebooted it a few times at work and have had 100% success the last 10 times with the "pop-in-and-out" method.

again - victories where i can find them.

reading up on making a clone/backup of the "working" SD card so i can (probably Wednesday) try playing with kernels again.

Keep the information coming, pretty please. I appreciate it greatly - even when it's over my head.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@clm1919

"Now do I recommend this? NO...." -wizard

and

"...some luck is involved." -wizard

Those quotes are from @mouldy and not by me.

When nothing else works because the system doesn't really recognize a drive correctly, the split install/boot can work.

wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@clm1919 / @wizard :-

Well, I've just knocked myself sideways with surprise. I'm gobsmacked; actually, I'm lost for words. I've just done something I thought was impossible on this HP Pavilion desktop rig.

As wizard is aware, I've had a USB SD card reader for ages. Bought it what must have been, oh.....20+ yrs ago, now. Got it from our local 'Pound shop' (we have a whole chain of these up and down the UK.....everything on sale is 1 British pound. A lot of it's tat, if I'm honest, but you can find the odd gem over the years.....I think much of their stock is obtained from closing-down/clearance sales from other retailers that go bust.)

Anyways; bear with me, lads.

I've been using a 32GB Class 10 SanDisk SDHC card in it for a bit (this is a recent purchase). Currently, it's running Fossapup64 9.5.....PhilB's brilliant original 'take' on the Fossas & derivatives. This is the one I pushed the boat out with, and set-up with shinobar's recent Grub2Config (after lots of encouragement from everybody!)

(@clm1919 :- You won't be aware of this, but this whole business has turned into something of a saga over the years! I absolutely loathe & detest GRUB2 - everybody here knows it! - despite that it's the bootloader of choice for just about every mainstream distro out there. I think it's bloated, and over-hyped; ever since I went all-Puppy a decade ago, I've been a stalwart user & promoter of Puppy's older Grub4DOS bootloader. To my way of thinking it's lean, mean and the best thing since sliced bread.......to quote a popular Brit TV advert, "it does what it says on the tin". Without ANY fuss. But not many seem to agree with me....)

But, I digress. To the point of this missive.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Pavilion has a built-in SD card reader. I tried it out briefly when I first got this rig, shortly after COVID-19 kicked-off worldwide. I didn't have any joy with it then, and frankly, I didn't bother too much about it, since the SD card reader in the previous Compaq desktop had never worked either. The USB jobbie did what I wanted, and that was good enough for me.

After reading your post earlier on, I had a bit of a 'go' at the card reader slot. I took the SanDisk out of the USB reader, and plugged it directly into the internal card reader slot. As expected, it didn't show up. I then pulled it out & pushed it back again, several times in succession.....and all of a sudden, it showed up!

"Hmm..." I thought. "I wonder..." Leaving it plugged-in, I re-booted out of Tahr64 (where I've been for the last couple of days) and, using Grub4DOS's advanced menu, booted directly to sdc1 (FAT32 256 MB in size, where GRUB2 got installed). I fully expected to get the proverbial "No operating system found. Please hit any key to continue..." but.....NO!! Wonder of wonders - and this is why I'm so speechless - the usual boot-time sequence for Fossapup64 showed up on the screen and began to run through! :shock: :D :thumbup:

I still can't believe it.....but this is coming to you from my Chrome-portable running in Fossapup64, booted direct from the Pavilion's internal SD card reader slot. How's that for an achievement..??!

-----------------------------------

MY thoughts on the matter? Obviously, an SD card reader slot would have to be mounted horizontally on a laptop, but on this Pavilion rig, being a desktop mid-size tower, it's mounted vertically.....and in an ideal position to catch dust & dirt far more readily than a horizontal one would. I'm wondering if those several in/outs with the card cleared enough grime from the reader's contacts to permit it to function at long last. We have hot-air heating in this house - first time we've had it - and while it's far more efficient than radiators, this is the dustiest house I've ever lived in, too.

It's possible it may have something to do with the spring contacts in the reader. I have noticed those in the USB reader seem far 'firmer' than those in the HP internal reader; TBH, it pushes in without any noticeable resistance at all.

And it also loads far slower than a USB flash-drive. SD card memory is not noted for being especially fast.....unless you're paying silly money for the very latest ultra-fast cards, and even then your reader needs to be able to support such cards. This IS an HP, after all.....and HP tend to skimp-out wherever they can, as many of us are aware!

But, the 'proof of the pudding is in the eating':-

...and there it is.....taken just before typing this post out.

Sorry for the lousy picture quality - the Nokia Asha dumb-phone's camera sensor is only 640x480 at best! - but it's good enough to show the SanDisk plugged directly into the HP's front-mounted SD reader slot.

And Fossapup64 is booting from it. So there....!! :lol: :D :thumbup:

Mike. Image

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Never give up :thumbup2: Great thing about the forum is sometimes you find a solution to an old problem you've had.

Thanks
wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wizard :-

Oh, I know, mate.....I know, believe me.

I'm back in my daily-driver - the highly-customised, souped-up Xenialpup64. I've unplugged/re-plugged the SD card several times since being back here.....and you know what? It's showing up consistently, now.

So are other cards, as well.

I'm now wondering if there was simply a bit of lint, or a smidge of dirt on maybe just one or two of the internal contacts. Just enough to prevent all 9 contacts from connecting fully.....and perhaps the physical 'workout' I gave it was all that was needed to shift 'em out of the way. Who can tell?

I'm not knocking it, believe me! :lol: I'll take advantage of it now that it IS working..!!

Mike. Image

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

@wizard
@mouldy
apologies for the miss-quote earlier. My head was just swimming from the cryptic information that was over my head, got confused :D

------------------------------------------------------
@mikewalsh

Glad to see you getting some love from your SD card slot. :thumbup2: Love these stories.

I tried wizard's advice (actual quote here- FRFR)

You might try installing both grub and Puppy on the fat32 partition to see if that will boot

and indeed it DID boot (on the 2nd microSD card), but i still had to pop it in-and-out during the "waiting for partition" window.

I decided to take a picture of what happens when i DON'T pop it in and out.

20Q.jpeg
20Q.jpeg (218.96 KiB) Viewed 810 times

and yeah....I have no idea what 90% of that means.

Note this is from the "put it all on the FAT32" card.
Haven't taken a picture of when the FAT32/EXT4 card "fails" because i don't pop it in-and-out.

If you think any of this has any worth i could record the boot with my phone or something, but honestly (for ME) it's "good enough for now" that it works with they way it does. UNLESS this is something that could prevent the ultimate goal of upgrading the kernel so i can get the sound working under puppy

(never LOOSE sight of the goal.....but digressions on the path to true enlightenment are part of the journey)
- probably paraphrasing somebody.....so I'll just say "not mine" :-P ;) :D

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@clm1919 - in my grub .cfg, I add rootwait to linux line for slow detection machines. Might help.

clm1919

Post by clm1919 »

FULL DIGRESSION - just chatting

@mikewalsh

(@clm1919 :- You won't be aware of this, but this whole business has turned into something of a saga over the years! I absolutely loathe & detest GRUB2, despite that it's the bootloader of choice for just about every mainstream distro out there. I think it's bloated, and over-hyped; ever since I went all-Puppy a decade ago, I've been a stalwart user & promoter of Puppy's older Grub4DOS bootloader. To my way of thinking it's lean, mean and the best thing since sliced bread.......to quote a popular Brit TV advert, "it does what it says on the tin". Without ANY fuss. But not many seem to agree with me....)

......when i was actually using linux i used LILO

but I'm not qualified to judge bootloaders - all i know is that when GRUB came out I stuck with what i knew (LILO) because it "just worked for me".

Not that i remember ANYTHING from those days. But i totally get what you're saying.

Digression#2 - Anyone got a 6 year old i can borrow so they can teach me how to use my so-called "smart-tv" remote? :lol:

Not that i use it as an actual TV anyway....but still.

-people often get "new" and "improved" confused - there's something to be said for "it just works"

BUT - this old dog WANTS to learn some new tricks. (still wanted: GRUB-for-Dummies)

Return to “Beginners Help”