The kernels that are built and used in KLs

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

The kernels that are built and used in KLs

Post by Clarity »

KL kernels
@wiak published recently a need to change to a different kernel when using certain PCs. IMHO that is an important presentation as subtle as it was.

For years this has surfaced in a variety of ways when a particular distro is used on certain PCs.

Question
Should kernels that are posted reference a "suggested" PC type or age that it is recommended to be used with?

Just curious of some way to present to users when a distro is released, if its introduction at release, should it recommend use based upon the kernel? Or if the release should come in 2 versions; namely, for example, use this for PCs before one year, and use that version for PCs after that year?

Yes, I do know that instructions are abound for kernel exchanges in Frugals, but on pristine use, users, may not be aware of a recommended platform the ISO/IMG was built for. Nor, how to know the kernel needs changing.

This is NOT, again, a request for change as nothing is broken.

Clarity

Re: The kernels that are built and used in KLs

Post by Clarity »

I saw this

radky wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:28 am

The Woof-CE generated kernel and firmware of BW64 derive from upstream Debian, so hardware support is relatively broad.

Maybe this post-thread is not relavent because each distro and thus each forum distro 'could' have features present/missing that it misses the mark per PC.

In the past, on multiple occasions over the years, I have had a distro which boots fine on one PC in my dog-pound but not on another. I have even seen this behavior in recent years in the ISO boots I have been using since 2019.

Thus, a developer could only make suggestions of target PC, but that suggestion might not mesh with the PC's BIOS or UEFI interaction with the OS's kernel when booting.

I retract this thread, as I am unsure if it would offer something reasonably foolproof.

From my own point of view; this is a bad idea unless some tools/utility comes along which could be a reasonable manner to determine "year-make-model" for recommendations when a distro releases for a confidence one would want.

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”