How to run chromium-ungoogled as 'spot'?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

williwaw

How to run chromium-ungoogled as 'spot'?

Post by williwaw »

I have a script that expands chromium-ungoogled to the directory /tmp/browser
it calls /tmp/browser/squashfs-root/usr/lib64/chromium-ungoogled/chromium-ungoogled --no-sandbox --user-data-dir=/tmp/browser/config --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/browser/cache and runs fine as root, albiet with the warning about no sandbox being insecure.

I want to run-as-spot, but the same command as above given as an arguement to run-as-spot, returns Trace/breakpoint trap

enclosing the arguement /tmp/browser/squashfs-root/usr/lib64/chromium-ungoogled/chromium-ungoogled --no-sandbox --user-data-dir=/tmp/browser/config --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/browser/cache in single or double quotes returns...

Code: Select all

which: unrecognized option '--no-sandbox'
which: unrecognized option '--user-data-dir=/tmp/browser/config'
which: unrecognized option '--disk-cache-dir=/tmp/browser/cache'
bash: line 1: /tmp/browser/squashfs-root/usr/lib64/chromium-ungoogled/chromium-ungoogled --no-sandbox --user-data-dir=/tmp/browser/config --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/browser/cache: No such file or directory

how do I get run-as-spot to accept complex arguements?
perhaps there is a better way to call chromium-ungoogled?

Last edited by mikewalsh on Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title to make it clearer...
mow9902

Re: run-as-spot chromuim-ungoogled

Post by mow9902 »

This generic command works for me:
exec <path to your program>/chrome --user-data-dir=<path to your data directory> --disk-cache-dir=<path to your cache store> --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 --allow-outdated-plugins --no-sandbox --test-type "$@"

Looking at your example I think it would translate to:
exec /tmp/browser/squashfs-root/usr/lib64/chromium-ungoogled/chromium-ungoogled/chrome --user-data-dir=/tmp/browser/config --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/browser/cache --no-sandbox --test-type "$@"

your example does not actually show the chrome command ..but in my installations of various 'chromium' clones there almost always is a chrome executable. If this is not the case for you, then ignore that bit.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

thanks mow

Looking at your example I think it would translate to:
exec /tmp/browser/squashfs-root/usr/lib64/chromium-ungoogled/chromium-ungoogled/chrome --user-data-dir=/tmp/browser/config --disk-cache-dir=/tmp/browser/cache --no-sandbox --test-type "$@"

yes, that would probally work. I will look up the --test-type "$@" option and see what it's all about.

your example does not actually show the chrome command ..but in my installations of various 'chromium' clones there almost always is a chrome executable. If this is not the case for you, then ignore that bit.

chrome = chromium-ungoogled in my case, as I have made it work before......

when running as root, but my problem (I think) comes from the syntax of the command. I need to do something different when the the command to call chromium is actually an arguement to the
run-as-spot command

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@williwaw :-

Mm. O-kayyy....

I'm curious. Why do you want to run a browser from /tmp, anyway?

Most of the community's efforts vis-a-vis browsers are to get the browser out from the 'save' and/or Puppy itself wherever possible. I appreciate that with this method, it's always gone by the end of the session, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary messing about to me. You still have to have a copy of the browser to place into /tmp each and every time, right?

Silly question perhaps, but.....have you tried the 'portable' version of Ungoogled Chromium? It's all self-contained, and with the addition of Fred's updater script it's a cinch to keep it up-to-date now.

viewtopic.php?t=1499

Your choice, of course.

----------------------------------------

If you still want to continue the way you've been doing it, well; I think we can simplify that a bit for you. For a start, you only need the 'chromium' directory itself.....no need to transfer the entire file-system structure into /tmp as well. And a wrapper script to launch it, of course....

Hang about, hang about. There's a very much simpler solution to all this. You're sort of running this as a "disposable" browser, yes? Fresh & squeaky-clean every time.....like an OOTB Puppy?

So; copy the 'portable' Ungoogled Chromium into /tmp, then just launch it from there. It's already set up to 'run-as-spot', AND to keep all its cache & config stuff together in a common 'PROFILE' directory. The whole thing is self-contained. I've just tried it, and it's quite happy running from /tmp.....

The other solution would be to run the portable in the normal way - from outside Puppy & the 'save - and just modify the LAUNCH script to delete the 'PROFILE' directory every time at shut-down. This would also make it very much easier to run the updater. Would that do what you want?

-----------------------------------------

It's your decision, of course. I know the more 'self-sufficient' Puppians amongst us DO like to get things working for themselves, rather than using the work of others. But the idea of a community is that we help each other out....

(*shrug...*)

Your call. If you still want to do this YOUR way, we'll see if we can't help to streamline & simplify things a bit for you.....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williwaw

Re: How to run chromium-ungoogled as 'spot'?

Post by williwaw »

@mikewalsh

You're sort of running this as a "disposable" browser, yes? Fresh & squeaky-clean every time.....like an OOTB Puppy?

my exact intent

So; copy the 'portable' Ungoogled Chromium into /tmp, then just launch it from there. It's already set up to 'run-as-spot', AND to keep all its cache & config stuff together in a common 'PROFILE' directory. The whole thing is self-contained. I've just tried it, and it's quite happy running from /tmp.....

is this https://mega.nz/folder/jXhVkYjB#Pz2plOQjETINrYv9coT7KQ
the project mentioned? I will take a look, thanks

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

williwaw wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:09 pm

@mikewalsh

You're sort of running this as a "disposable" browser, yes? Fresh & squeaky-clean every time.....like an OOTB Puppy?

my exact intent

is this https://mega.nz/folder/jXhVkYjB#Pz2plOQjETINrYv9coT7KQ
the project mentioned? I will take a look, thanks

@williwaw :-

Yup; that's the one. Have a look on its thread - link as supplied above - to read about the Menu entries & stuff. You'd only need a small modification, if at all; TBH, they should work from where it is, AND remain persistent for the next time you boot.

Mike. ;)

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

yes, that would probally work. I will look up the --test-type "$@" option and see what it's all about.

This option just removes the annoying message "you are using an unsupported command line flag --no-sandbox. Stability and security will suffer"

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mow9902 :-

Code: Select all

--test-type

.....is one of the zillion-and-one "switches" that the Chromium code-base provides specifically for the developer boys & girls.......or for any 'dev' who wishes to create 'apps' or extensions that will run in the browser.

From Peter Beverloo's extremely comprehensive list of every switch available:-

https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-c ... -switches/

--test-type ---------------------type of the current test harness ("browser" or "ui" or "gpu")

Removal of the 'infobar' is one of its beneficial side-effects, for those who get annoyed by it. However, it also has negative side-effects, as reported by @wiak a while back, in that it seems to disable/interfere with Google a/c login (no access to Gmail, for instance). Although this seems to occur with some people's setups, but not with others......doesn't affect MY Google a/c, for instance. Yet for other people, it does, so.....

No ideas on that one.

(*shrug...*)

Mike. ;)

Return to “Users”