FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.19.1...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.19.1...

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, all.

Some of you may remember that during the final days of the old forum, I published a package called "FreeTube-portable". Max Headroom - now here as +Me - had asked whether this could be turned into a portable application.

It's an easy one, 'cos it's an Electron app (based around the Chromium browser, albeit in stripped-back form). It looked fantastic, but it must have had API issues, because it never would connect properly. I built it and published anyway, along with a suitable warning.

FreeTube have released an update. 0.7.2 has become 0.7.3, and.....what a difference. In addition to still looking great, they must have resolved those API issues, because it now all works as it should.

Currently, we're now at v0.19.1.

You can search for, and play, individual vids, but this thing is really built to work with a subscription database. If you're like me, you're likely subscribed to multiple channels, and YouTube has a list of these somewhere.....but it's an absolute PITA to find.

Easiest way? Go to THIS website. Halfway down the article, they have a link that'll take you straight to the correct page. Making sure you're signed-in to your YouTube a/c, click on it.

At the bottom of your subscriptions manager, you'll find this:-

Click on the right-hand button; it'll download an OPML database file, called "subscriptions_manager". This is what FreeTube needs. You can import this in FreeTube's settings, and you'll get all your subscriptions listed down the left-hand side. And they update, too..!

If anyone's interested, you can find it here, along with MD5 checksum:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fcw0n0f9uwlqr/FreeTube

Have fun.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

lizardidi

Re: FreeTube-portable; watch YouTube outside the browser....

Post by lizardidi »

Nice work!!!

Is this only for 64 bit puppy?
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Thanks for this program!

Here is the official icon.
Attachments
freetube.png
freetube.png (868 Bytes) Viewed 3266 times

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@ lizardidi:-
lizardidi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:12 am Nice work!!!

Is this only for 64 bit puppy?
Unfortunately, yes. I mean, the stripped-back Chromium browser it's built around - as are all Electron apps - IS available in 32-bit, but FreeTube have followed the overall developer "trend", and chosen to only release a 64-bit version.

Summat we're ALL going to have to come to terms with over the coming months/years, I feel.

------------------------------------------

@ bigpup:-
bigpup wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:21 am Thanks for this program!

Here is the official icon.
Glad you like it! Yes, I know it's one hell of a lot bigger than YouTube-DL, but with many of us now running far more capable & powerful hardware than we used to, app size/complexity is no longer the issue it once was.....and for those who are still running ancient hardware, the older/lighter apps are still there.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, kiddiwinks.

I rediscovered this again almost by accident earlier this evening, in the FatDog 'Software' sub-forum:-

viewtopic.php?f=140&t=1494

I was quite taken by the FreeTube app when I first came across it early last year. However, it was quite buggy, and didn't want to connect half the time. This was around v0.7.2. I released one update, to 0.7.3, but this, although starting out well, very rapidly became even more buggy, and would hardly connect at all. Shortly afterwards, I learned that the Invidious API it was built around was being retired, and the developer was 'stepping-down' from the position, and retiring too!

So, I gave up on it as a bad job.....

Fast-forward to this evening. It seems Jamesbond had released this as a FatDog SFS shortly before Xmas; at that time, it was then at v0.10.0. Development had been taken over by another guy, with big plans for it. One of the biggest improvements has been the inclusion of a drop-down list in the settings, which gives you a choice of around 20 alternative APIs to select from, if the default one it comes with OOTB won't work for you.

When I first fired it up, I thought, "Gawd, here we go again. Nothing's changed...", because as before, it just 'spun' endlessly, never connecting. For me, at least, httpx://invidious.snopyta.org simply WILL not connect in any way, shape or form. Poking around in the settings revealed the drop-down for alternative APIs; I've gone with httpx://invidious.tube, which appears to work fine so far...

Current download is now the v0.11.2 'beta' release, which is running as smooth as silk ATM. I've re-packaged the new version around the 'portable' format from the last v0.7.3 release; in this build format, it works really well.

----------------------------------

So; if anyone's interested in taking another look at it, FreeTube64-portable is now at v0.11.2.....and so far, is looking pretty good. You can find it at the Drive link in post #1.

Enjoy.....again!

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike! :thumbup2: From first test it seems to work better now than earlier version.

You can find it at the Drive link in post #1

I could download but needed to change the URL, from:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/%5Bb%5D%5Bi%5Dhttps%3A//drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J-i3U0nqNKbs5IjyV5PTlkFFH8ebqgfs?usp=sharing%5B/i%5D%5B/b%5D
To:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1J-i3U0nqNKbs5IjyV5PTlkFFH8ebqgfs?usp=sharing%5B/i%5D%5B/b%5D

Fred

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

Hi, Fred.

Sorry for the bad link. I wrote that months ago, not long after the forum had 'moved'. I don't know if Erik's changed any of the coding between now & then, but anyway, I've re-written the BBcode for the link and it works now!

Glad you like it, BTW. Makes all the difference, being able to choose from different APIs, doesn't it? Which one did you go with, in the end?

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Mike wrote:

Glad you like it, BTW. Makes all the difference, being able to choose from different APIs, doesn't it? Which one did you go with, in the end?

invidious.snopyta works OK for me so far, I earlier experienced that invidious can be very slow, could be the time and/or day (sometimes overloaded?) just guessing.
Indeed good that it can be changed, I will experiment with that when it becomes slow again.

Fred

step

Post by step »

Fyi, on Fatdog64 I'm using the freetube SFS version beta 0.11.1 with local API as preferred backend and invidious.snopyta.org as fallback. It works very smoothly.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

step wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:33 pm

Fyi, on Fatdog64 I'm using the freetube SFS version beta 0.11.1 with local API as preferred backend and invidious.snopyta.org as fallback. It works very smoothly.

@step:-

invidious.snopyta.org simply doesn't work for me.....hence changing APIs in the Settings. But it's working well, nonetheless, so it looks like the re-write has borne fruit!

Mike. ;)

step

Post by step »

@mikewalsh, I think mine is essentially using the local API, never falling back on invidious.snopyta.org. I can't be sure, of course, but I vaguely remember that earlier versions displayed a warning when falling back, and so far this version hasn't displayed any warnings.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@step :-

Point taken. However, I have no idea if the 'local' scraper API is actually working for me. With "invidious-dot-tube", I get the warning about dropping back on every video.....but, they always start. With "snopyta-dot-org", the warning never shows.....but along with that, the video never actually connects, either.....the 'whirligig' just spins endlessly, and nothing actually happens. So;

....what d'you make of that?

Mike. ;)

step

Post by step »

Mike, there's very little difference between the SFS I use and the portable you use in terms of files. Although mine is 0.11.1 and yours 0.11.2, the only file that differs between the two is resources/app.asar, the app itself, while all other binaries, libs, etc. are the same. The other difference is, of course, in the way the SFS and the portable launch freetube. The SFS runs run-as-spot /path/to/freetube. The portable runs $HERE/freetube --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --no-sandbox. So I notice the --no-sandbox switch, and perhaps also your PROFILE; could it be corrupted?

backi

Post by backi »

Cool App Mike :thumbup2:
But i wished i could play those Videos with Media-Player of my Choice and/or download it ....like it is possible with Smtube for Example.
Maybe some Day it will be possible .
Nevertheless .....cool App :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new version - 0.11.3

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Here's a new portable for FreeTube-portable v0.11.3.

They must have been 'tweaking' the API stuff again, because now I get a direct connect; no warning message, no disconnect, nothing.....just straight in. Seamless.....and working better than ever. Faster connection, too.

Download available from the link in post #1. Have fun.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new version - 0.11.3

Post by mikewalsh »

Now then, kiddiwinks...

Here's the current version of FreeTube 'beta' - v0.12.0 (I said this thing was going to get plenty of development over the coming months, didn't I?)

It now opens much quicker.....and everything just seems very solid. It just 'works'.

New 'portable' available from the link in post #1. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new version - v0.13.0

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, guys'n'gals.

.....aaand the next update; this is v0.13.0.beta.

When these will come out of 'beta' is anybody's guess, but at least it's receiving semi-regular development again. Can't complain, 'cos it IS largely trouble-free now.

You can find the current release at the link in post #1.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.13.0

Post by mikewalsh »

Me again, kids.

The next update for FreeTube has just been pushed out the door - v0.13.1 (beta)

So; here's the self-contained Puppy 'portable' package. As always, available from the link in post #1.

Have fun..!

Mike. ;)

dancytron

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.13.1

Post by dancytron »

Works with Debian Dog.

LAUNCH script works in Stretch.

LAUNCH-NL works in Buster.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

dancytron wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:49 pm

Works with Debian Dog.

Excellent! Nice one.....glad it works for you, Dan.

Mike. ;)

joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

I've been playing with youtube video playing for a while this Sunday and I finally settled on something some what enjoyable. And that is using a combination with SMTube + Seamonkey. I do video searches in SMTube and copy the links to paste in Seamonkey. This combination seems to works fine with out getting errors in other apps not being able to watch a video... I think FreeTube is on to something but since it is a browser base, it should give the option to play it as a browser too with... :thumbup:

Thanks for the portable either way...I am also using your portable Seamonkey... portable SM allows me to play youtube urls/links but does not allow me to search there which is even better because it just blocks the rest of the spam :lol:

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:17 pm
dancytron wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:49 pm

Works with Debian Dog.

Excellent! Nice one.....glad it works for you, Dan.

Mike. ;)

Been getting the falling back error and the not connecting sometimes, but going into settings and choosing another server and/or flipping between local api and invidious api always fixes it.

I do about half of my video watching on it now. I hope the back ends stay up.

edit: There has been an upgrade to deal iwth th failback error. What's the best way to upgrade the portable ourselves? Is it as easy as getting it out of the .deb file and pasting it in?

edit again: It seems all you have to do to upgrade is substitute the new app image for the old one and set it as executable.

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.13.2

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Now; v0.13.2 is here, so the new portable package is available from the main link in post #1.

Since I've switched to using the supplied AppImage for this, you have two options. You can visit the site and download the latest AppImage yourself (and don't forget to make it executable; rt-clk->Properties, tick all 3 Exec checkboxes->Refresh->Close). You can then:-

• Either run the AppImage as-is; this will create a new profile in ~/.config.

• Or, if you want to keep the 'portable' format - with your existing profile in the same directory - just re-name the AppImage to match the existing one. (You can rename AppImages to absolutely anything (even remove the .AppImage suffix; I do this all the time), and they'll still run.....the act of clicking on them transfers the executable action to the AppRun script inside, and it's this that actually launches it). Then delete the old, and drop the new in its place.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.15.0

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, gang.

I'm really sorry about the long wait for the new version - v0.15.0. I've had so much stuff on the go, I haven't really been watching the thing very much recently, so it kinda "slipped my mind", I'm afraid...

Anyways, the new 'portable' version has now been uploaded, and is available from the usual link in post #1. As with all the 'clone' stuff - including the Electron framework - this is now only really compatible with Puppies from Bionicpup64 and upwards...

As always; d/l; unzip; move the portable directory anywhere you like.....though preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click the appropriate 'LAUNCH' script to fire it up. You can also add a Menu entry, should you want one. The 'ReadMes' will help to clarify what you need to do.

Have fun.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: FreeTube-portable; new release - now @ v0.15.1

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Right; new release time again, so here's FreeTube v0.15.1 in 'portable' format.

---------------------------------------

Now; following discussion with baraka on the Chrome-portable thread, and subsequent experimentation and re-writing of the 'LAUNCH' script, FreeTube is once again quite happy to run under all 64-bitzers as far back as Tahrpup64. This 'LAUNCH' re-jig works for all the Chromium-based stuff, and that includes anything that's Electron-based, too. So that's good news for y'all.

--------------------------------------

The new release is available from the link in post #1. As always; d/l; unzip; place anywhere you like.....best outside the 'save', of course. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

Scripts permit adding a Menu entry if required. The 'MenuReadMe' explains how to use these.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

How is the resource usage when using freetube.?.i tend to try and avoid the youtube site if possible as the cpu gets into a huff there. :(

One workaround i discovered was using the duckduckgo built in video player which was more friendlier to my pc.
however this freetube certainly looks a good alternative. :thumbup:

Any resource issues to be aware of.? :mrgreen:

Feek

Post by Feek »

@xenial ,

I use Freetube in Fatdog as .sfs (from FD repository).

My feeling is that the resource usage is similar to youtube on my laptop.
In general, playing video from the internet is resource intensive.

I usually decrease the quality e.g. to 360.
Resolution of my screen is 1366x768, so very high quality of the picture would be unnecessary and maybe transfer more data.

The welcome (and other) dialogs are not there unlike youtube (the same with ads) which is great.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

Right. Upgrade time again - a little bit late again :oops: - this time, we're at v0.16.0.

No obvious changes to report; it remains, as intended, a highly usable, standalone YouTube player. New version available from the link in post #1, as always.

D/l; unzip; place anywhere you like.....preferably, outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up. Scripts allow adding a MenuEntry, if one is required. The 'MenuReadMe' explains how to use them.

--------------------------------------------

@xenial :- As far as resource usage goes, probably about the same as any Chromium-based browser, with a single tab open running YouTube. Maybe a bit less.

Mike. ;)

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

xenial wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:00 pm

.i tend to try and avoid the youtube site if possible as the cpu gets into a huff there. :(

Same here :lol:

One workaround i discovered was using the duckduckgo built in video player which was more friendlier to my pc.

But this is not a player per se. Among other shortcomings it is restricted to DDG's search results. You can't just feed it a YT URL and play the video. Same is true for Bing's YT rendering.

To overcome this shortcoming I created a script that accepts any valid YT URL and - if owner permits - plays the video ad-free and with minimal resources on any HTML5 capable browser. Works for me with a 32bit Pale Moon browser.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel :-

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:56 am
xenial wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:00 pm

.i tend to try and avoid the youtube site if possible as the cpu gets into a huff there. :(

Same here :lol:

But this is not a player per se. Among other shortcomings it is restricted to DDG's search results. You can't just feed it a YT URL and play the video. Same is true for Bing's YT rendering.

To overcome this shortcoming I created a script that accepts any valid YT URL and - if owner permits - plays the video ad-free and with minimal resources on any HTML5 capable browser. Works for me with a 32bit Pale Moon browser.

Very, very neat, Mochi. Thank you!

Even for someone with all the resources I now have, I still hate how "heavy" YouTube is. The tab can easily consume nearly half-a-gig all by itself, which is frankly ridiculous when all any of us want is to simply watch a video. I've set up a copy of my PaleMoon portable, specifically for watching YT vids, pared down to the minimum with most of the toolbars & extraneous stuff removed, so it's as near full-screen as I can make it.

Copy link address->switch workspaces->Ctrl+Z.....and up it comes. Not much more than 120 MB total, including the browser itself.

Nice one, mate. :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Return to “Browsers and Internet”