PC hibernates or drops out of X; wake up difficult

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

boof

PC hibernates or drops out of X; wake up difficult

Post by boof »

if i leave my pc long enough, it either hibernates or drops out of X. i cannot wake from hibernation using a wireless kbd. i can reboot if it drops out of X, tho' i don't know why it does. i'm not aware of X dropout becoming hibernation, asi don't see it [not looking at it when] and the screen is blank. screensaver 10 min timeout.
any other solutions than cold restart?

pp4mnklinux

Re: wake up difficult

Post by pp4mnklinux »

There could be a lot of reasons, but I will try this first, specially if you try a lot of software because It's possible that certain software or applications running on your PC are causing conflicts that lead to hibernation or X dropout. Try closing unnecessary applications or performing a clean boot to identify if any specific software is causing the issue.

It could be the problem, but if not, it's time to check software.- It's possible any of your pc components found the end of its days, haha... so check them (if you installed new software of your drivers are not in your savefile... try to update them)

Cheers (avoid this problems is one reason to have a backup of your savefile, if u have one restore and tell us if the problem continues).

Hope you solve your problem.

~

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI ====> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

Flash

Re: PC hibernates or drops out of X; wake up difficult

Post by Flash »

Can you not restart X from the console?

Chaos coordinator :?
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

A few things:
1. The default 10 minute screen blanking has nothing to do with a power state like standby or hibernate. It just blanks the screen (turns off the display).
2. Did you use a utility to set a specific power state (suspend/hibernate)?
3. Don't know about the newer Puppys but in Puppy Event Manager (accessed from the menu) under the Power tab, there is a default setting to power-off after a certain set time-interval. Are you sure the machine is not switching off?
4. The power states available (suspend/hibernation) will depend upon your hardware.

boof

Post by boof »

if i catch it early, it's still in console, and i can restart X.
if too late, the screen is blank and i don't know what stare it's in.
nothing works and a cold start is needed. pressing the power button starts shutdown with audible <woof-woof>
screensaver is off, and event manager is now off. pupmode is 77.
power timer in event manager is 0.
having to get up to cold start it is tiring, painful and inconvenient, but the usb's appear disabled why? i can't imagine a good reason. it's on, and unresponsive. no kbd/mouse action will restore it. insane, imho.

Flash

Post by Flash »

Sounds like a hardware problem. Try blowing the dust out and reseating the RAM sticks.

Chaos coordinator :?
boof

Post by boof »

thx. i'll try that AFTER i figure out how to open the box. [dell optilux 3060] there's no obvious screws, but i can't move anything. my hands/fingers are very weak/sore, doesn't help. i have attached a fan over the grille on front to cool it. because i could not get inside it earlier. if in hibernation/standby, how should i wake it? is there some script i could load to lockout these as i never use them?

Return to “Fossapup64”