BookwormPup64 10.0.6

Moderator: Forum moderators

dimkr

Re: Bookworm Pup64

Post by dimkr »

mikeslr wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:16 pm

Without AUFS, there can't be a SaveFile.

This is wrong. PUPMODE 12 and 13 work (and so do pmedia=usbflash, etc'). The only difference compared to aufs in this regard is that the contents of pup_rw are not cleared when saving.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

dimkr wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:21 pm
mikeslr wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:16 pm

Without AUFS, there can't be a SaveFile.

This is wrong. PUPMODE 12 and 13 work. The only difference is that the contents of pup_rw are not cleared when saving.

Thank you for the correction. Now how about explaining how to distinguish between them and use the one desired.

With AUFS, to run under PupMode 13 three things were required: (a) the boot-argument such as 'pmedia=ataflash'; (b) setting the Save-Session interval to 0/zero via Puppy Event manager; and (c) putting a check in the Save-Sessions "Ask at shutdown" box. Changing any of the above (and perhaps a reboot) --or as I do, using two boot stanzas-- enables exploration without jeopardizing a functioning system. What's the overlay equivalent?

P.S., if you choose to answer, consider my suggestion to do so in a Tips Section where it can later be easily found.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@radky & @rockedge your combined efforts has produces an incredibly well packaged solution.

Operating in a QEMU VM, it is fast, stable, well laid-out distro. Package management, PPM/Synatics/APT, works to expand this WoofCE PUP, as needed with no issues. The VM is tested directly from BW64's ISO file. Stanza is:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -vga std -m 2G -smp 2 -device ac97 -name 'Booworm64 vBeta1 on QEMU' -cdrom BookwormPup64_beta1.iso

Everything we've come to know as a WoofCE PUP, not only is included, but works, OOTB. Acknowledging @peebee and @wizard reports on the multimedia apps.

Excellent structure leading to the anticipated Debian GA.

I will test soon, bare-metal via the 3 ISO file booters soon.

Thanks, for this.

Last edited by Clarity on Sun May 14, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radky

Post by radky »

Jasper,

If I understand correctly, your initial download of BW64 was corrupt. I assume some if not all of your bug reports pertain to the bad download.

If you download again (this time from the alternate server in the first post), please confirm the checksums match correctly before proceeding. Please do not use a residual savefile/savefolder from the original installation of the corrupt iso.

__

Concerning your report of failed creation or recognition of a savefile/savefolder, I can't confirm this in my tests. Maybe other users will provide additional insight.

Concerning the Rox pinboard alternating with right and left clicks of the desktop, I can't confirm this behavior.

Concerning your report of failed 'apt upgrade', please note the following:

As currently implemented in Woof-CE builds that support the APT Package Manager (dpup/jammy), the 'apt upgrade' option is intentionally disabled to prevent overwriting of applications that are created as unique petbuilds specifically for Puppy Linux. In this scenario, upgrading support files from Debian repositories could overwrite and break these unique Puppy applications. Maybe @dimkr will provide additional insight to help us better understand how this option is implemented in Puppy.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

mikeslr wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:35 pm

With AUFS, to run under PupMode 13 three things were required: (a) the boot-argument such as 'pmedia=ataflash'; (b) setting the Save-Session interval to 0/zero via Puppy Event manager; and (c) putting a check in the Save-Sessions "Ask at shutdown" box. Changing any of the above (and perhaps a reboot) --or as I do, using two boot stanzas-- enables exploration without jeopardizing a functioning system. What's the overlay equivalent?

a, b and c should work equally well in a Puppy with overlay instead of aufs.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

radky wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:43 pm

As currently implemented in Woof-CE builds that support the APT Package Manager (dpup/jammy), the 'apt upgrade' option is intentionally disabled to prevent overwriting of applications that are created as unique petbuilds specifically for Puppy Linux. In this scenario, upgrading support files from Debian repositories could overwrite and break these unique Puppy applications.

Correct. apt upgrade will only update user-installed packages. Updates for preinstalled packages are (intentionally) disabled using apt-mark hold to avoid updates from polluting your save file/folder and/or slowing down the system, and to prevent updates from undoing Puppy-specific customization done to the Debian packages at Puppy build time.

(This is the place in woof-CE where this apt-mark hold happens)

You can use apt-mark unhold to allow updates to a package, but this is risky. Updating your entire Puppy to a new build is a much safer way to update all core system packages.

(Debian 12 is currently frozen and the only changes are important bug fixes. If you don't see any available updates or see updates today but don't see more updates tomorrow, this is probably why. Generally, the Debian stable release receives few updates, just stability and security fixes, and Debian 12 will receive even fewer updates after the release.)

radky

Post by radky »

Concerning failed or corrupt downloads from the primary server, @rockedge is aware of the issue and is working on a solution.

At this time, only the alternate download server will be available in the first post.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

QEMU use: Any others who test ISO in a VM; have you notice audio issues in your use where is sounds like 2 card are trying to play audio at the same time? Its like a echo'ing effect.

My testing host continues to be a trusty FossaPUP64 running QEMU emulator version 7.1.50 (v7.1.0-1-g93fac696d2) on an old 2014 Intel platform. So far, I cannot finger the problem. It is unique to this distro.

The stanza to recreate the VM is reported in my earlier report

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@radky

I did download the ISO as soon as the alternate link was provided and the hash key matched.

Just for clarification on my part, the apt upgrade option is only available to me for applications that are "user installed" ?

So the above is correct for me to do? Just making sure.

My question regarding the save-file was that there is an entry in the Utility menu "Resize personal storage", which I had attempted to use not knowing that a folder was created and therefore not pertinent. Maybe this might be removed if unusable?

Last edited by Jasper on Sun May 14, 2023 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizard

Beginners Guide to Synaptic Package Manager

Post by wizard »

One new program in Bookworm Pup64 for new users and many existing Puppy fans is the Synaptic Package Manager. Here's a short guide on how to start using it.

*******************************************Draft 230514*****************************************

Beginners Guide to Synaptic Package Manager

Synaptic can install/uninstall applications or software packages. This is a brief beginners guide to using Synaptic. For more detailed instructions (in Bookworm Pup64) see: usr/share/synaptic/html/index.html.

Installing an application:
If you are new to Linux, you probably will not be familiar with application names and functions. Doing internet searches like “linux video editors” can be helpful, but inquiring on the Puppy Linux Forum is best, the members can recommend apps and tell you where to find them.
If you know the applications name you can search for it in Synaptic.

Menu>Setup>Package manager (Synaptic)

synaptic-annotated.jpg
synaptic-annotated.jpg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 4728 times

1. click: Reload (top left of the window)
2. click: Search (top right of the window)
3. enter the name or partial name (example is for media player VLC)
4. click: Search
5. scroll through the file list
6. if the application was found, right click, choose: Mark for Installation
The "Mark additional required changes?" window will open
- click: Mark
7. click: Apply (top left of the window)
The "Summary" window will open
- click: Apply

Un-installing an application:
Repeat the steps above, but in step 6 choose: Mark for Removal

CAUTION: although Puppy is built from parent distributions like Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, etc. all packages may not work and some may corrupt your save file/folder (REMEMBER TO BACKUP FIRST).

author: wizard

Last edited by wizard on Sun May 14, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big pile of OLD computers

peebee

Post by peebee »

By swapping the provided dpup-kernel for:
kernel-kit-output-usrmerge-6.1.27-x86_64
from GitHub Woof-CE Kernel-kit
I had an aufs based system on reboot

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Jasper wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 3:41 pm

So the above is correct for me to do?

If you're unsure, use apt upgrade and not apt upgrade name-of-package. The former won't upgrade the built-in packages locked using apt-mark hold, while the latter will, and it's very easy to break your system and waste space if you force this. (Or, just use Synaptic.)

apt upgrade should do nothing if none of the updates affect user-installed packages, and say something like this:

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgraded.
radky

Post by radky »

Please note:

Development of Debian 12 will arrive at 'full freeze' status on 24 May 2023, at which time package versioning should be essentially complete, except for critical fixes specifically approved by the Debian release team prior to the official Bookworm release on 10 June 2023.

As the Debian 12 packages reach final status, the Puppy BW64 team will release one or two additional builds to make sure the supported deb packages correspond to those available in the Debian repositories on 10 June 2023.

Subsequently, Debian will provide point releases (12.X) at 2-4 month intervals to address any important package updates or fixes for specific security issues.

Feek

Re: Beginners Guide to Synaptic Package Manager

Post by Feek »

One new program in Bookworm Pup64 for new users and many existing Puppy fans is the Synaptic Package Manager.

When using apt/Synaptic on Puppy (specifically in Vanilladpup64) I also do the following:

• When I use the Reload button in Synaptik (or its "apt update" equivalent in the terminal) a certain amount of data is generated as a result and stored in /var/cache (approx. over 70Mb). Therefore, after installing the required package (or after "apt upgrade"), I run apt-get clean in the terminal. If I didn't do this cleanup before saving the changes to the save folder, I would have this unnecessary data in the save folder.

• When uninstalling an app in synaptic, apt only removes the main package (even if I check "Mark for complete removal"), leaving the dependent (and now orphaned) packages in place. In this case, I use apt autoremove in the terminal (it lists all packages no longer needed and asks for confirmation to remove them).

Maybe someone will complete/correct me ;) .

Last edited by Feek on Sun May 14, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radky

Post by radky »

peebee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:12 am

How feasible is a 32-bit variant?

The only problem I've encountered is trying to play an audio CD......... Deadbeef opened but nothing played. Playing a video DVD was OK.

Hi PeeBee,

Thanks for testing !

At the moment there are no plans for a 32-bit variant.

Concerning Deadbeef not playing an audio CD -- I think we have a fix for the next release.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Well, I had my 2nd cup of coffee and then some. Enough time to download BookwormPup64 and have a look around. It always helps to know what you're talking about, :) 'though that interferes with using your imagination. :cry: dimkr, of course, is right: BWP64 supports both SaveFolders AND Savefiles. And if you create one of each --just like AUFS puppies-- on bootup you'll be offered the choice of which to use. (I don't recall if the choice of None was offered). Edit: Yes, the None choice is offered. Tip: In fact, you can create a 'false' SaveFolder --i.e., just create a folder with the name dpupsave [I added a -null to remind me that it was 'empty']-- and on boot-up the choice of not using any Save will be offered. Much easier than editing your Menu.lst/grub.cfg if booting 'pfix=ram' is only needed once. But note, it has to be a false SaveFolder. A False SaveFile is ignored.

Overlays have come a long way since I last looked into them. :thumbup: :D
I didn't test to see what happens under (the equivalent of) PupMode 12. I copied the boot stanza used with an existing Puppy, just editing the specification of the folder where grub.cfg was to find the initrd. The stanza I copied used the argument pmedia=ataflash; and SaveSession was prefigured for 0/zero, Ask at shutdown.

@ radky. The kernel line of the stanza I used had several arguments. They did no harm, but I'm not sure they were needed. Is there anything we should know about boot arguments that differs when overlays are used? And maybe include an "Example" boot stanza in the ISO. It might help those completely lost.

I noticed that Menu>Setup offers Remaster and Utilities>nicOS-Utilities-Suite. Are those vestigial, or expected to function properly under overlays? OOTB?

SFS aren't loaded 'on the fly' (at least libreoffice wasn't) but rather are que'd for loading on next boot-up. A couple AppImages I tried worked OOTB.

pdict is absent. AFAICT, it can't be installed. I booted into F-96, but gnewpet didn't find it among either builtins or user installed. No pets of it are available for any recent Pup at ibiblio. So I looked for all the files F-96 had relating to it (there were 2, one a script in /usr/sbin, the other a pixmap) and built a pet. It didn't function under BWP64. Maybe just as well. pdict accesses data online. I used synaptic to install artha & its associated wordnet.

pwidgets-2.6.0-x86_64 was fully functional OOTB. But that presented the 'Conky' problem. Both want to occupy the same deskspace. Conky uses it at boot-up because of a script in /root/Startup. The problem is that if I 'delete' the script that only prevents the script from running by writing a '.wh' white-out. If I later create an ydrv or modify the adrv using nic's Save2SFS, it captures the white-out. Shouldn't having the Conky display be the user's choice without complications?

All told, however, you've really created a beautiful Puppy. :thumbup:

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon May 15, 2023 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
radky

Post by radky »

stevie pup wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:35 pm

One small detail, I see in the menu under "fun" is what appears to be a link to Google Solitaire. How do I get rid of it?

@stevie pup

Delete the following two files:

/usr/share/applications/solitaire.desktop
/usr/local/bin/solitaire

then run fixmenus

sonny

Post by sonny »

radky wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:59 pm
peebee wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:12 am

How feasible is a 32-bit variant?

The only problem I've encountered is trying to play an audio CD......... Deadbeef opened but nothing played. Playing a video DVD was OK.

Hi PeeBee,

Thanks for testing !

At the moment there are no plans for a 32-bit variant.

Concerning Deadbeef not playing an audio CD -- I think we have a fix for the next release.

PeeBee and radky, DBF does play audio CD but after 10-15 seconds

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Bookworm Pup64 frugal install on external hard drive, partition is fat32 format. using Grub4dos boot loader.

No problems so far getting stuff to work.

Just to report that making a save file works.

Had no problem making a 4GB save file and rebooting using the save file.

In fact it only gave me an option to make a save file.

As it should for an install to a fat32 format location.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

radky

Post by radky »

@mikeslr wrote:

I noticed that Menu>Setup offers Remaster and Utilities>nicOS-Utilities-Suite. Are those vestigial, or expected to function properly under overlays? OOTB?

The remaster and nicOS-Utilities-suite were requested in F96 and are also included in BW64, but I have no personal experience with their functionality.

@mikeslr wrote:

pwidgets-2.6.0-x86_64 was fully functional OOTB. But that presented the 'Conky' problem. Both want to occupy the same deskspace. Conky uses it at boot-up because of a script in /root/Startup. The problem is that if I 'delete' the script that only prevents the script from running by writing a '.wh' white-out. If I later create an ydrv or modify the adrv using nic's Save2SFS, it captures the white-out. Shouldn't having the Conky display be the user's choice without complications?

There are several scripts that interact to maintain the default conky display in F96 and BW64. In F96 those scripts (and multiple other applications) were moved out of the main Puppy SFS to supplemental xdrvs as requested by various forum members, but that process became an endless source of conflict that should not be repeated in BW64 development. Rather than deleting the default conky executable scripts, you could make them non-executable so there should be no interference with you preferred use of pwidgets. That is, change the permissions of the following files to non-executable:

/root/Startup/conkystart
/usr/bin/conky-gtk
/usr/local/bin/conky-restart
/usr/local/bin/conky-stop

dimkr

Re: Beginners Guide to Synaptic Package Manager

Post by dimkr »

Feek wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:57 pm

Maybe someone will complete/correct me ;) .

I recommend this trio:

apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
apt-get autoremove --purge
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@radky This is a very good release. If all goes well this could become my new work horse :thumbup2:

Remember my scanner issue? At last I now have a 64bit distro that recognizes my scanner. The installed simple-scan works great. Thanks!

I like the fine details that went into the customization. E.g. I noticed that quicksetup is configured to use GTK2, allowing it to use the deprecated but functional combobox widget instead of the hardly usable comboboxtext widget.

I also appreciate the inclusion of MMview (not MM_View ;) ), however it doesn't work as it should.
1) The chooser part is supposed to keep a fixed width while only the viewer pane should expand when resizing the window. Sadly gtkdialog has a couple of issues when running under GTK3. Main problem is that it ignores dimension settings and that it expands widgets despite being instructed not to. This means that MMview should run with GTK2, i.e. that the last line of code in /usr/local/bin/mm_view should be
exec -a "$WINTITLE" gtk2dialog

2) Image scaling and display of metadata doesn't work because exiv2 is not installed. When I "borrowed" the binary and its related libexif files from F96-CE it works.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I ran Bookworm Pup64 ISO virtually in QEMU creating a qcow image to save any changes. Works VERY well except for the following:

1) SFS load GUI does not show as a complete window (only LHS) and does not appear to work when sfs selected.
However, I could load the sfs in a terminal using the sfs_load /path/to/sfs_file command.

2) Audio produces a very low level distorted sound. This might be due to QEMU, but its a problem I have never encountered before.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@radky

Many thanks again for the clarification.

Looking for the future releases and the opportunity for me to retire FP95. :thumbup:

sucuklu yumurta

Post by sucuklu yumurta »

Hi
Simple feedback only from the personal end-user perspective:
Dual-Core E5300 2.60GHz
3 gb ram + 4 gb swap
Firefox, Celluloid iptv stream, mpv 1080p works perfectly

I installed them with Synaptic but suggestions in case you add them in Release sfs later;

*Gnome Disk Utility (Disks) 'Disable Write Cache' there are more setting options (I've triedbut not fully working Disks)

*Gsmart Control

*Kolourpaint, (mtPaint sounds a bit messy, I'm more used to it)

*Android Debug Bridge it wouldn't be bad if

*qbittorrent and subtitle fps tool it wouldn't be bad if

*Maybe another sfs iso version which is just Pale Moon

well thought out, perfect version, if you add fully install option this goes until 2028 :thumbup:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
viewtopic.php?t=3261
https://github.com/MX-Linux/lum-qt-appi ... g/19.11.02

https://github.com/PJ-Singh-001/Cubic/w ... erivatives

both are installed but not fully working

Flatpak apps, Flatseal and Firefox are working

https://ibb.co/wJc7VrN
https://ibb.co/JBMK1wv
https://ibb.co/pXFL9T0

note: I had a large swap area before I installed Flatpak apps, I think it was installed there, next time I will install it in a separate partition,
Summary:
Fixed area Flatpak applications with Frugal Puppy

Last edited by sucuklu yumurta on Sat May 20, 2023 9:24 am, edited 7 times in total.

Acer Aspire One AO751h Netbook Intel Atom CPU Z520 1.33 GHz:1-1 core 2 GB+2 GB Swap SSD. Sony 5200 mAh: BullseyePup 9.1.0 Lite on Kingston SSD Frugal
Acer Aspire 3 A315-58-34HD 8 GB DDR4 4.10 GHz Intel Core i3-1115G4 CPU 2-4 128 GB SSD: BookwormPup64

bert07

Post by bert07 »

Frugal install on HDD.

I like this BookwormPup64 (and many other pups); well: I should because Debian is my main Linux system.

I just came across one problem: missing numlockx. (Copied it from another puppy.)

Overall: very nice work and a very nice addition to my (small) collection of puppy's.

I shall use it on all 4 computers.

Thanks a lot!

Main: Debian + Mageia + Windows 10 on a AMD Ryzen 7 machine.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Radky, "Rather than deleting the default conky executable scripts, you could make them non-executable so there should be no interference with you preferred use of pwidgets. That is, change the permissions of the following files to non-executable:

/root/Startup/conkystart
/usr/bin/conky-gtk
/usr/local/bin/conky-restart
/usr/local/bin/conky-stop"

:thumbup: :D

I've made and stored a note for future reference. A really great solution because if I ever change my mind it's reversible.

In the near future I'll test whether amethyst's Save2SFS module is functional and report. One of the applications I always want available (if possible) is masterpdfeditor4. I placed a copy of mikewalsh's portable in /opt [installing dependency Qt4 libraries from Storage as they can't be obtained from repos by any of the new Puppys]. I'll add another couple 'must have' applications, then try to create a ydrv.

If amethyst's Save2SFS works, remastering won't be particularly important on the 'resource-rich' modern computers. The time it takes to copy files from the base.sfs, then over-write them by those from an adrv/ydrv and the effect of vestigial files in RAM is infinitesimal; and Large Storage can easily accommodate the space wasted by files never used. But I grew up in a culture where any kind of waste was objectionable. So the ability to remaster would be personally satisfying. If I find the time, I'll test remastering and report. I'll likely use amethyst's Remaster Alternate.

[You might consider removing the menu-listing for the 'builtin' (NoDisplay=True) BUT NOT the application and it's files. I think both amethyst's Remaster Alternate and Remaster Classic use the built-in's modules. IIRC, Classic merely re-arranges their sequence having the user make all decision at the beginning rather than interrupt the work-flow. Alternate does the same, but as the remaster is to be used on the same computer where it is built, eliminates the need for making some decisions. Either are easier to master :) than the builtin as they are less prone to human error].

radky

Post by radky »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:51 am

viewtopic.php?p=89187#p89187

...The installed simple-scan works great. Thanks!

...I also appreciate the inclusion of MMview (not MM_View ;) ), however it doesn't work as it should...

@MochiMoppel
Thanks for testing BW64 and thanks for confirming simple-scan recognizes your scanner and works OK. I don't have a scanner to test, so your report is good news!

Thanks also for MMview (great app). I'll make the necessary corrections and also include exiv2 and associated libs in the next release of BW64.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@mikeslr
As you are aware, I do not have a Puppy which works with overlays so now I'm guessing or you can help me:
1. Is the "normal" file structure the same as traditional Puppys (apart from /initrd)?
2. I suppose the contents of /initrd is different? If so, please attach a screenshot of your /initrd.
3. The savings mechanism, how does that work? pup_ro1 and pup_rw not there I suppose?
Anyways - If the general file structure is still the same, the remaster classic tool should still work because it basically copies the files from /. The alternative script will NOT work correctly if there is no pup_rw. The Save2SFS module will not work correctly either if there is no pup_rw, etc. The save folder to save file may not work either. The sfs merger tool may work if sfs's can still be loaded on the fly, sfs_load is working and the extra sfs's are mounted as pup_ro3, pup_ro4, etc. The other tools of the suite should not be influenced.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Geek3579 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:13 am

I2) Audio produces a very low level distorted sound. This might be due to QEMU, but its a problem I have never encountered before.

My findings suggest the problem is in the current beta. It may resolve as this distro moves forward.

Return to “BookwormPup”