The future of Github

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

jamesbond

The future of Github

Post by jamesbond »

Remember sometime ago there was a big concern when Microsoft bought Github, and it would be affected?
Well, worry no more. All you need to hear is here on palemoon forum. It's four pages long at the time of writing and will probably get longer, but you don't have to read every post to get the idea.
Last edited by jamesbond on Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foxpup

Re: Github

Post by foxpup »

Funny you mention this just now.
On youtube-dl served with dmca one informs us this:
one wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:37 am Palemoon is migrating repositories from github to a self-hosted instance:
https://repo.palemoon.org/

Good bye - github
:thumbup:
garnet

Re: Github

Post by garnet »

The post that @jamesbond referred to revealed the reason they Palemoon is moving out.
Basically two things, I guess:
- Worse and worse support over time
- They only support one browser, that, is Edge, period. Since Edge is a derivative of Chromium, it means any non-Chromium browsers are going to be poorly supported, with Palemoon - which uses UXP - having a harder and harder time to catch up.

The thread linked discussed the needle that breaks the camel's back. When even the most recent version of Palemoon cannot access github properly, why should they stay? Why would they put their code in github, while their own browser code, cannot see it?

Hope that helps ^_^

jamesbond

Re: The future of Github

Post by jamesbond »

@garnet, the point I want to mention is that github is becoming more and more MS-centric.
Who would have thought? :twisted:

The fact that chrome-based browser works there is just a nice co-incidence because Edge is a derivative of chrome. Not because they are supporting Chrome.

So the question is - what is our response to that?
garnet

Post by garnet »

Ah, noted, Mr. Bond. Apparently in the thread referred by @foxpup, people end up talking about the same thing. But I suppose, as @sc0ttman said elsewhere, github is still useful for ad-free file-serving for large file downloads ^_^

Hope that helps ^_^

sc0ttman

Post by sc0ttman »

Palemoon has never worked with Github for me..

So, I followed the links from jamesbond..

I installed this JS Polyfill: https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill/releases

I installed it, and checked Palemoon

Success! I was finally able to do things like edit comments, submit forms, choose items in their dropdowns, etc.

More info about how it works:

GitHub uses the <details> element, which has a toggle attribute, in its dropdowns..

Looking at the source of the .xpi, it just updates a bootstrap.js to polyfill (fix up the missing bits) the JS needed on GitHub pages

- the toggle attribute on <details> elements
- Array.flat() method

It seems to be failry new, so expect to need updates for a while .. But, this prob won't need updating all that often once it settles - until the next big UI replacement on the GitHub site, anyways...

Return to “Users”