Show Us Your Desktop..!!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Re: Show Us Your Desktop..!!

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:53 pm

Development @geo_c :thumbup:

Somehow I missed this. How did you accomplish this? Did I include my rox panel files in the tbox?

Oh maybe it's just a screenshot background.... :thumbup:

Last edited by geo_c on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:24 pm

Some how I missed this. How did you accomplish this? Did I include my rox panel files in the tbox?

This is one of the first works of yours installed using a script if I remember correctly. Installed on my Slacko 7.1 :thumbup:

KL
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:27 pm

Some how I missed this. How did you accomplish this? Did I include my rox panel files in the tbox?

This is one of the first works of yours installed using a script if I remember correctly. Installed on my Slacko 7.1 :thumbup:

Cool, I didn't know anyone has tried to use that in recent days. The idea there was that you could switch the theme colors/icons of jwm, gtk, cairo dock, and the desktop all with a single click. Maybe I should revist that concept.

Last edited by geo_c on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

geo_c wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:33 pm
Sofiya wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:27 pm

Cool, I didn't know anyone has tried use that in recent days. The idea there was that you could switch the theme colors/icons of jwm, gtk, cairo dock, and the desktop all with a single click. Maybe I should revist that concept.

Yes, that's right, you can switch there with one click, which is very convenient :thumbup2:

KL

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Sofiya wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:35 pm

Yes, that's right, you can switch there with one click, which is very convenient :thumbup2:

And actually there was a lot more being switched. It switched the Rox colors, the Rox folders, and fossapup apps with independent color schemes like galculator, geany, notecase, goggles music manager, hexchat, etc.

I think I abandoned that approach because I had to write a separate script for every color theme. So there were only a few themes. Not very efficient. Lots of grep sed lines in the script etc. And the themes were my custom preferences at the time, so also not very wide in its appeal.

One additional drawback was having to restart X to get Rox to behave. I still switch Rox folder colors manually and restart X though. I like everything to match.

I like the tbox portable theme concept better, where people can have access to a large collection of themes that are linked to one location and shared by many OS's, as a lot of us on the forum are prone to do. I just ran tbox scripts on KLA-xfce and it worked great. I'm going to write one for KLA-OT2 when I figure that system structure out a little bit better.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-rc13

Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 1654 times
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

geo_c wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:27 pm

One additional drawback was having to restart X to get Rox to behave. I still switch Rox folder colors manually and restart X though.

It's sufficient to restart ROX. There is no need to restart X.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

VanillaDpup 9.2.18

https://github.com/vanilla-dpup/releases/releases

A frugal, portable and flexible OS.
Vanilla Dpup is a small and lightweight operating system based on Puppy Linux and Debian.

It tries to strike the right balance between small and practical. Like the former, it feels like a journey to the 2000s and features a curated selection of preconfigured, lightweight applications for a variety of daily computing tasks, from web browsing to backup and recovery. Like the latter, it features wide hardware support and compatibility with the world's top collections of free software.

https://vanilla-dpup.github.io/

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

wiak

Post by wiak »

Seems I forgot to add xfce4-screenshot to KLU-jam-XFCE. No matter how carefully I make check list something gets missed!... Next time...

Yes, I don't log in as root user anymore. I experiment too much and sometimes lose everything...

Also firstrib is actually the first regular user on my systems so has UID 1000, which is same as user wiak when I log in to Zorin lite, so have same permission access to files on all my distros. User spot is second regular user so ends up with UID 1001, which means old spotty doesn't have access to these other resources of mine...

Attachments
KL_XFCE_distros.jpg
KL_XFCE_distros.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

wiak wrote:

No matter how carefully I make check list something gets missed!...

This will be engraved on my grave stone

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

LOL, for me these apply:

wizard's rule #2 "You can't check your own work"
wizard's rule #4 "If you thinks it's done, it's not"

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

:thumbup:

wizard wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:15 pm

@rockedge

LOL, for me these apply:

wizard's rule #2 "You can't check your own work"
wizard's rule #4 "If you thinks it's done, it's not"

Thanks
wizard

KL

TC-21-32

Post by TC-21-32 »

Kind of grey and boring. Util/important to me.
You folks can really raise the bar. :thumbup:

Attachments
Screen shot.png
Screen shot.png (397.3 KiB) Viewed 1751 times

I still miss puppy 4.21. Been a user since 4.11 and never going back.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

KLV-airedale RC13:

DPi7 means "Dell Precision Intel Core i7 vPro." I've adoptied the practice of labeling my operating systems and the source machine of the save I'm using so I can keep them all straight. I have a USB with 10 forum distros installed. Most of my laptops have at least 3 installed. The labels are gtk dialog windows launched from a script in root/my-applcations/bin.

geo_c

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

F96CE_XFCE_FUSILLI

CC2 @nilsonmorales

Fusilli included, working to improve it.

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Last Night's Gig Pup:

geo_c

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Already posted on the Jammy64pup Section, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 842#p84842

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello the puppyland !
This is one of mine : Jackalpup 0.0

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (66.23 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @Amol .- I don't know if u are using the puppy designed to be specialiced in audio production.

If this is the case, can you tell me (only a resume) your oppinion about this puppy ?

https://archive.org/details/jackalpup

Thanks in advance.

Amol wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:46 pm

Hello the puppyland !
This is one of mine : Jackalpup 0.0

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello pp4mnklinux !
Sorry, i use it only for his beautiful design.The default GTK theme is unique in the puppyland .For the sound in firefox you must use a special tool called QjackCtl.Indeed, there is a lot of tools for sound but i don't use them.
A big thank to the creator of JackalPup.
Amol.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:29 pm

Hi @Amol .- I don't know if u are using the puppy designed to be specialiced in audio production.

If this is the case, can you tell me (only a resume) your oppinion about this puppy ?

https://archive.org/details/jackalpup

I can tell you a lot about it. It's been my daily driver for 3 years now.

It's built around jack audio server, and it all works flawlessly. Jack audio can be stopped at any time from a tray icon. To use jack apps effectively, you have to gain some experience with jack.

In the case of firefox mentioned above, stopping the jack server before starting firefox will fix the sound issue. Jack is a server that accesses the alsa sound architecture, so it doesn't replace it any manner. However since jackalpup boots with the jack audio server running from the /root/startup script, it must be turned off for certain applications to access alsa, not all, just some, mostly browsers.

If you don't mind learning jack and when and how it should be started and stopped, jackalpup is everybit and more powerful than straight fossapup64_9.5. In fact it's really a remaster of fossapup, so all of the fossapup built in applications are present in jackalpup, as well as the many additional audio/multi-media tools.

Like I say, it's my daily driver. I have fossapup installed along side jackalpup, but there is really never a need to use fossapup, except that it's a bit lighter on resources. Some of my very underpowered machines, and I mean like single cpu machines and old dual cores with 2-3GB of ram, don't run well with jackalpup which comes in from 800MB to 1.2GB of ram depending on the amount of additional applications running at start up. Fossapup runs around 700MB of ram, so that's why I keep it around, for older slow machines.

Let me know if you have other questions. I use jackalpup to run a studio, I have recorded 32 simultaneous 24bit/48K wave files in Ardour on an i5 with 4 processing threads and 8gb of ram. It should run similarly on 4GB of ram. The kernel is realtime, so latency is low when using midi/virtual instruments. On a modern fast machine jackalpup is the bomb. Really good.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:29 pm

Here's jackalpup.0.0 running deadbeef, you can see that deadbeef is jackaudio compatible and it shows up in the qjackctrl graph with it's output attached to the system output, which happens to be a usb audio interface in this example. The beauty of jack is that the ouput of deadbeef can run to the input of any other jack compatible audio application like gWaveEdit or Ardour, or run through the built in Carla Rack which allows plugin effects to be applied etc.

Imagination is your only limit in this kind of system. It's like having a collection of outboard hardware and cables which you can route ins and outs at will.

Deadbeef also runs without jack, and it has settings for which audio driver to use in it's preferences dialog.

If you click on this image, you can zoom it on the postimg website. And btw that's my Sonor Phonic Rosewood drumkit, a real classic, best drums ever built.

geo_c

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

While testing jasper's (updated) Openssl -1.1.1s-x86_64 [compiled in fossapup64-9.5) under F96_CE3, to quickly remember which Puppy I'm using --my daily driver or the above modified version-- I recycled wallpaper (indirectly by banksy) that I modified: added the dog. :lol:

Testing.png
Testing.png (457.09 KiB) Viewed 1893 times

p.s. You're dog's posture is as good a way as any to predict the Stock-Market. You just have to be faster than the graffiti artist :roll:

Amol

Post by Amol »

Hello everyone !
The qjackclt must be activated for web browsers in JackalPup, otherwise the system freezes.

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (105.59 KiB) Viewed 1877 times
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Nice things you can do with the Xfce taskbar/panel in KLV-airedale. Make it wide as you like, long as you like, transparent as you like, and drag it around. Here's my new approach. It's a lot easier to maximize and minimize open windows with them stacked in the panel vertically on the right in close proximity to the window buttons. And quickly configured with a right click on the desktop choosing "Desktop Settings."

geo_c

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

My 12 years old daughter's System

FossaPup 9.5 frugal

She was the one who chose the design.... Clear Ideas from Youth...jajajja

Hope you like,.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c :-

Are you only just discovering this stuff with XFCE for the first time, mate? :D

It's one of the main reasons why - if I have a choice of DEs - XFCE is what I'll go for if available. It's almost infinitely configurable. I've known about its capabilities for years, even though it's rare that I switch away from my preferred layout...

Mike. ;)

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:59 am

It's one of the main reasons why - if I have a choice of DEs - XFCE is what I'll go for if available. It's almost infinitely configurable. I've known about its capabilities for years, even though it's rare that I switch away from my preferred layout...

Mike. ;)

Yes, unfortunately KLV-airedale is the first Xfce distro I've really played with extensively. It's really the best desktop as it balances functionality and user-friendliness with responsible resource management.

I'm sure I have a lot more to unlock, and true to my personality, though I'm an early adopter of many new, innovative things, I'm also prone to miss the obvious for a VERY long time. Like the fact that I only discovered the shade function in window managers a few months ago. Crazy, yes I know.

geo_c

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @geo_c ; if you are gratefully surprised with xfce, please, take a look to this XFCE_FUSILLI, and you gonna go into another level.

https://archive.org/details/f96ce3_xfce_fusilli There you have two videos ... and if u are curious about this derivative, you can take look at:

https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=8362

geo_c wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:09 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:59 am

Mike. ;)

Yes, unfortunately KLV-airedale is the first Xfce distro I've really played with extensively. It's really the best desktop as it balances functionality and user-friendliness with responsible resource management.

I'm sure I have a lot more to unlock, and true to my personality, though I'm an early adopter of many new, innovative things, I'm also prone to miss the obvious for a VERY long time. Like the fact that I only discovered the shade function in window managers a few months ago. Crazy, yes I know.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:21 pm

Hi @geo_c ; if you are gratefully surprised with xfce, please, take a look to this XFCE_FUSILLI, and you gonna go into another level.

Perfect timing, as I was just trying to mimic what I was doing with the Xfce tray by using Cairo Dock in jackalpup. Good, but not quite the same.

geo_c

Return to “Users”